TJX Companies

Updated 13 December 2014
Updated 13 December 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible management allowed for a flexible schedule to help give a healthy work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• They have a very good benefits package (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 21 reviews)

• You only move up if you suck up to upper management and are a favorite (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Flexible Hours, Good Management

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

Flexible hours, great management, good environment

Cons

need more help, retail job

Consistency

I worked at TJX Companies

Pros

This company provides continuing education for it's employees. They are also consistent in each store with company rules and regulations, the manager does not make the rules as they go.

Cons

The challenge is understaffed and some DSM's need to be more hands on in the stores.

Upper management needs to be more supportive.

Work

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

Flexible discount leadership promos training

Cons

Low pay .... .... ..., ....

It was exciting, and it taught me to always expect the unexpected.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working Loss Prevention presented excellent opportunities to assume a leadership position and developed a great rapport with employees and the store management staff. My job responsibilities emphasized assess protection, and employee safety and awareness. The culture was relaxed but professional, and an open door policy was encouraged to each employee, thus providing a platform for great communication.

Cons

The only thing that I would consider a "con" was that some of our customer service policies were too laxed and unscrupulous customers were finding ways to circumvent the policies and take advantage of the store - which really bothered me.

I think that there are a lot of employees who actually care and who are not there just to make a paycheck. There were a lot of interesting ideas being proposed to combat shrinkage within the company, but few were ever seriously considered being implemented. I think as a company grows, so should some of its policies be revised to accommodate that growth.

Overall pleasant.

Current Employee - Backroom Coordinator
    Current Employee - Backroom Coordinator

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are quite lovely. Some of the regular customers are very nice people as well. Management works with your schedule which is very helpful in a college town.

Cons

Management is rarely on the same page, don't always keeps up with corporate guidelines which causes mass chaos before visits. Pay seems like it should be much higher for the amount of work you're given.

Paying more would help retain associates, as well and educating management further, and making sure that ALL new associates are properly trained.

If you have a pulse they will hire you

Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and good start up for HS students

Cons

Some managers lack basic people and management skills to the point where they are rude and ignorant.

Train your managers, try to keep your good employees with a decent raise and somebody needs to look at Richard and his "female only"hiring practices.

Good work experience

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for career growth!

Cons

The work hours can be overwhelming!

Reward your associates frequently. Let them know that they matter!

Allocation Analyst "STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY"

Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a large organization so you get decent benefits, a safe clean environment, and the job security of knowing the company isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Cons

Where do I begin! This place is like a big white sorority house. When I say white, I simply mean if you come from a melting pot and are used to seeing people of all backgrounds, nationalities, and personalities this place is nothing like that! It is literally like walking onto a set for the show The Hills. Everyone talks and dresses the same, and nobody is interested in anyone that is different from what they consider their "norm". From day one you will be bullied and hazed. They have this idea that they can mold everyone into their kind. You will notice that everyone there acts alike, somewhat like robots, because they are taught to be this way! Managers don't know how to manage because they promote solely on popularity, and not work performance. You can work as hard as you want here, if you don't fit in you wont make it.

It's a "thing" that everyone discusses as if its normal and okay, that the first few months of working here was hard for everyone, and it is stressful and you will cry everyday on your way home!!! Work shouldn't make you feel crapy! The managers and HR reps will pick and pull you apart until you feel like little to nothing, making you feel like a weak, vulnerable, insecure person (this is all apart of their molding process). Of course if you are ever going to get initiated into the sorority TJX cult you will have to be beat down to nothing internally, so that they can build you back up with all of their culture crap! If I hear the words personal brand one more time I will scream! These people expect everyone to be upbeat with over the top personality's and be constantly full of excitement. They all literally talk like they have an exclamation point on the end of all of their sentences.

Everyone is catty, and will stab you in the back. During training they will lie to you and tell you to speak up and bring all of your thoughts and feedback back to them. Well take it from me, don't speak up unless you have something POSITIVE to say. If you say anything negative it will come back to bite you in the butt. This company's biggest problem is that they think they are "perfect" and everyone else is wrong. If you don't like something about them, then you need to fix yourself (that's the companies mentality). Most of my training class (of less than a year) is already quitting or looking for new jobs, and the few people who are happy are the ones who conformed, became "one of them" and are okay with kissing butt for the rest of their careers. The people who learn how to "play the game" well enough to stick around for longer, only stay until they get enough experience on their resume to move on to a better company. The "lifers" of this organization have totally drank the TJX kool-aid and will try and convince you to do it too. If you relocated for this job, you will more than likely hate everything about this work place, because people that aren't from the New England area just don't have the same mentalities and upbringing as the people from this area have. You will likely spend the entire first year here counting down til' you can find a new job and quit without having to pay them back your relocation costs. One good thing is they don't like to fire people (sarcasm), instead they will bully you, harass you, make you feel worthless, and back you into a corner until you decide to quit.

You are treated like you are in kindergarten, and like you can't be your own person. You are expected to eat lunch daily with everyone on your team, not doing so will get you dirty looks and stares. People will question where you went for lunch, as if it isn't your own free time to do as you'd like. You are expected to constantly share your personal life with everyone, otherwise you will be treated like a black sheep. My advice if you are a private person: just make up a few lies that you can keep telling and have a fiction personal life created to share at work. You cannot survive here being a private person, no one will like you, and therefore you will likely never be promoted.

Buyers are allowed to be disrespectful and rude. It's a "thing" that is discussed in training where they describe some of the buyers as having "difficult personalities!" This is absurd, and exactly why everyone feels crappy everyday. Everyone for the most part that becomes a buyer here has to go through the training program and pipeline of roles first. Meaning they have endured all of the bullying, brain washing, and mistreatment for 4+ years until they finally have gotten into a place of power. Now they get to abuse it and relinquish all their hateful nasty ways back onto those beneath them. It is a sickening cycle, that will likely take years to reverse because it has been tolerated for so long.

The pay is below the industry average, and for all you have to go through and endure it's not worth it. The Boston area is VERY expensive to live in, and most people have 2-5 roommates just so they can afford rent. Managers that are 26+ years old still have roommates, and not by choice!

I mean I could literally write a 5 page letter on why this place is dreadful, and honestly I am on my way out the door as soon as I can as well. I used this site when I was looking for a job, and I saw some of the other reviews that said almost exactly what I was saying, and I ignored them. That was obviously a bad choice! Take it from me, the people on here complaining about the company aren't just disgruntled employees, this is real true factual information. Don't let them sell you on how friendly and nice the company is, because trust me it is all a front. One last piece of advice, if you are a minority RUN AWAY FAST....you will feel like the elephant in the room daily, and will have a much harder time making it because they are so inherently racist, and don't even realize it. You will be their shiny new toy, that everyone finds interesting and wants to play with (for the moment) and you will feel that way, because you will likely be the only one like you in your entire area! Then they will get bored of you, and you will be just "that girl" that nobody gets.

Train people to be managers before giving them managerial responsibilities. Managing people requires maturity that most of the managers here do not have. Create autonomy in the workplace. Everyone deserves respect and a voice. Stop utilizing your fake "open door" policy as a way to trap people into telling you what's going on, or how their feeling just to use it against them, or talk behind their back. You all keep saying you don't understand why the retention rate is so low, it's because you all don't treat your employees like people. You treat them like mignons that have no purpose other than to try and be molded. Why not celebrate differences, and allow people to be themselves. People don't want to come to work everyday and put on a face of fakeness just so they can get along with everyone and hopefully kiss enough butt to get promoted. Make promotions based on work performance, and eagerness to bring success to the company. People shouldn't get promoted because they gossiped with you the most, and now you guys are BFF's. Hire more men! This place is full of catty emotional women, who if you rub the wrong way one time will harbor a grudge towards you for the rest of your career.

Look at creating more realistic salaries based upon the cost of living. You all pay your Upper Management and Executives very handsomely, and pay those of us doing all of the hard grunt work very poorly, while many other companies are offering up much better starting salaries. Get rid of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality." You are seeking to fill positions with millennials who aren't interested in working for an old school company. Most of the retailers are tech saavy, fun, and interesting. TJX is not at all! Get with the program people it is almost 2015! Being off-price doesn't mean that everything including systems, salary, and work place environment has to be off-price too!

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Cashier in Rapid City, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rapid City, SD (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, cheap products, and great training standards. I really love the people at TJ, and the willingness to help. The atmosphere is great and everyone usually has a great timer

Cons

Company ownership just changed, and many of the procedures are changing... Also, you must must must MUST sell TJX Rewards Credit Cards. Also, you have a checklist of things to go over each transaction

Will you be using your tj card
    did you want to open one
          Just so you know, for ever 200 you spend you get a 10 dollar reward certificate
           No annual fees, or monthly charges
             All points accumulate and never expire, same with rewards
               It only takes 3 minutes to apply, and be approved
            With the mastercard, every 1000 dollars outside the store spent, earns a 10 dollar reward certificate
    did you want to enroll in the tj rewards acess program
    did you want to make a donation to ____ (if applicable)
    did you want to buy a gift card
    were you highly satisfied

all of this is supposed to be said during a transaction, as well as promoting healthy and friendly conversation with the customers, and following a specific ringing sequence... when these are not followed, they drill you about it. of course, gift cards, rewards access, and asking if they were satisfied are not as crucial

The work is good, the pay is expected

Current Employee - Floor Associate in Stillwater, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Floor Associate in Stillwater, MN (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The managers are awesome.
    The coworkers are awesome.
    The job is easy and fun.
    There's a relaxed, easygoing atmosphere.

It's a great first job and a great high school job.

Cons

Base pay is minimum wage.
    Pay increases are very small.
    Metrics can be a little annoying.
    Time-off can be difficult to get.

Keep on doing what you're doing, you interact great with the employees and the respectable bunch of us respect you.