TJX Companies Reviews

Updated 14 September 2014
3.1

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme (in 18 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Idaho Falls, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Idaho Falls, ID (US)

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to learn better customer service and learn to work in a public place and be involved with the community.

Cons

The management was not the best. The main manager needed to learn not only customer service skills but also how to talk to their employees.

Learn how to talk to your employees in a professional manner without degrading them.

Just don't do it

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k for FT and PT, benefits for FT after 1 year, PTO for FT and PT

Cons

pay is not equal to the amount of work, managers are very disrespectful and treat employees like they don't matter,talk bad about associates behind their backs, and seem to only care about themselves/their store.

learn how to treat your associates with respect. the company always talks about the bottom line.....well bottom line is, store associates are the ones making you rich while they continue making minimum wage and are told they aren't doing enough. store managers
    are crazy and practically eat sleep and breathe marshalls/tjmaxx etc. it's just a store people....stop stepping on people to reach your goals

Break time and co-workers made it worth it

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have built friendships with co-workers, and they give more break time than most companies (for a typical 8 hour work day, you have a 45 AND a half).

Cons

Customers, Management, Management needs to all stick to one return policy

Share the same policy ideas, do not bend the rules differently.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Why you should think twice about working for the TJX companies.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They have a very reasonable work schedule, with most managers only working 45 - 50 hours a week, including holidays. They have a very good benefits package. They have a very casual atmosphere. They have a very flexible time-off policy. Your sick time and your vacation time are two separate accounts.

Cons

As an assistant manager, you have very little control over the decisions in your building. You expected to work in all areas of the store without limiting yourself to a "title", yet are still held accountable for the responsibilities of that title, whether or not you are given the time to work in your assigned areas. If you have a underperforming store manager, you are expected to take up the slack for their short-comings. Therefore you put yourself in the position of having credit taken from you for the good things and blame placed on you for the bad. If you are a good manager, and have a special project, you are given little or no extra payroll, because you can work with those restrictions, so you are basically punished for being good at your job. Payroll is based on the amount of merchandise you receive rather than on your sales, but there is no accurate system to track the amount of merchandise you receive. The Paid-time-off system has a ceiling for the amount of sick time you can accumulate, and you cannot role over your vacation time.

There needs to be a better review system, other than simply the opinion of the district manager. As it stands now, the ability to be promoted is based on whether or not the DM likes you rather than on your performance. There is not any system of accountability for the store managers in place. Anonymous surveys by the assistants and associates would allow you to get a more accurate view of the SMs performance, instead of leaving it up to the subjective opinion of a single person. The way the training system is set up for managers has it based on the honor system, so there is a very good chance that trainees that are less than honest or SMEs that are overworked and under a lot of pressure to pass the trainees are allowing untrained managers to go into the store.

Pretty decent

Current Employee - Allocation Analyst  in  Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to start your career; excellent training program.

Cons

Salary is barely competitive compared to the cost if living in the area.

High pressure and catty work environment

Current Employee - Senior Allocation Analyst  in  Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

- clearly mapped out career path
    - job security
    - good 401k and health insurance plans
    - sufficient PTO
    - interesting types of work (product oriented)

Cons

- when business isn't good, people are quick to point fingers
    - no management training = bad/uneducated managers
    - they try to train people but consistently leave employees more confused than before the training.
    - very old and outdated IT systems that impede productivity rather than improve it. The entire IT infrastructure for merchandising makes the job far more difficult than it should be.
    - HR is extremely misleading about duration of career path at point of hire
    - very high turn over. Only 8/33 members of my new employee class still remaining at the company after only 2 years.

- improve trainings -- better courses, better instructors. Having an educated workforce will drive success in the future. Focus on human capital development to improve business process rather than lousy, unproven, time wasting strategies that show little to no benefits or progress
    - offer more trainings.
    - improve IT systems and the communication between programs
    - remember that we are selling clothes not curing cancer

Ups and Downs

Former Employee - Customer Service Cashier  in  Diberville, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Diberville, MS (US)

I worked at TJX Companies part-time for less than a year

Pros

The nice part about working at a TJX company is that you get paid every week, and most of the management team is pretty open minded and willing to work around any other schedule or prior obligation that you may have.

Cons

They do not give a lot of hours, unless you are a full time employee or it is around the holidays and they have very few full time positions available.

The only thing that needs a lot of improvement is the organization of the operations side of things. For example, there have been plenty of times that my schedule was changed out of the blue and I didn't even get a call to notify me of the change. There was a note put up in the break room the day before.

ok

Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator  in  Daphne, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Daphne, AL (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the family/friend atmosphere. I like that they enpower you to take charge and make the call.

Cons

The pay isn't good, most people there make minimum wage with minimal hours. You have to be a key carrier to at least make 40 hours a week. The pay isn't sufficient to live off of and most of the employees need other jobs but full time coordinators don't really have the availibility to work a second job to make a real living. It's a great job for students but not really anything you can make a career of.

Better pay and hours would be great. People need opportunities to motivate them. Also the AC is not ever cool enough, customers complain and those of us working so hard to make the store run are hot. I'm pretty sure that not just at my particular location but in your company as a whole, your turn over rate is ridiculously high.

TJX needs to focus on developing internal talent

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

stable company with a good business model.

Cons

compensation (salary and all other benefits), training and development

develop internal talent

Love working for the company. Especially my store. Lots of food and flexible scheduling

Current Employee - Floor Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Floor Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies for more than 8 years

Pros

Love my managers and my job.. Great wok schedules and flexible hours.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!