TJX Companies Reviews

Updated 21 October 2014
3.1

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz
Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros
  • The best part of the company is its stance on work-life balance and flexibility (in 31 reviews)

• They have a very good benefits package (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • You only move up if you suck up to upper management and are a favorite (in 20 reviews)

• There is no higher pay for those returning to another internship or full time job (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Southbury TJX

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southbury, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southbury, CT (US)

I worked at TJX Companies as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, fair benefits package

Cons

Terrible ops ,very undermining the store has lost good workers due to this individual,poor communication skills very unfair and very wrong work ethics, bully and intimidation not good qualities for Management

I was hired at the distribution center right around the time they had area changes and trainers didnt help much.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate/Receiver in Evansville, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate/Receiver in Evansville, IN (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The $300/week. And if you pick the receiving position, you are full time immediately but not in the union yet. Better than the other seasonal positions in my opinion.

Cons

You must be in shape and reach your quota for the week. Understanding SCAN software and basic warehouse areas is kind of stressfull. In a month you should be close to learning it all.

Make it easier for receivers to understand where to send the inventory. Areas dont make alot of sense. I.E. LUDSR, LUDAR, etc.

a road to nothing

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time

Pros

paid time off and paid holidays. Its great of students.

Cons

isn't easy to move up within the company.
    3 or 4 hour shifts.
    pay isn't that great especially when you actually a great worker.
    take advantage of their employees

Mixed feelings about TJX. Some good, some bad, much if it does not make sense.

Current Employee - Marketing in Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people and beautiful office with great cafeteria, fitness center and many other perks.

Cons

In many ways this company is pretty current, and in others they are so far behind the times. I am a recent college grad and was thrilled to get a job offer at TJX, but the more I learned about the company, the less excited I was. For example, the salaries are WAY below what you make elsewhere. For your first and second year, you get 2 weeks vacation time. What company only gives 2 weeks vacation not only for your first year, but second also Completely unheard of. ALL of my college friends who are also recent grads get a minimum 3 weeks, most more. The 401K is also below average, plus they do not offer the option for a roth 401k. I am also amazed that a large American company is so behind the times in terms of corporate social responsibility. Again, NEVER have a heard of a company that does not offer an employee volunteers program, matching employee charitable gifts, and I heard they have a non-profit foundation, but know nothing about it so I assume they do little to help the community. I would love to stay at TJX for the long haul, but when considering all the negatives, I cant see it happening.

Small improvements could make a world of difference. I put my heart and soul into my job, and feel you try and get away with as much as possible with minimal benefits. 3 weeks vacation to start should be a given, a chance for employees to do volunteer work should be a given. a roth 401k option should be a given.

Why don't people know how to use hangers?

I worked at TJX Companies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you have problems with patience or faking a smile, then working here will definitely help you with that.

Cons

The assistant manager in charge of scheduling tends to forget about your availabilities, schedule you for a shift you can't work, and then tell you to find someone else to cover it even when it was her fault. You also have to remember that you're working in retail, which means a lot of customer interaction, most of which will probably frustrate you to no end. The only saving grace will be your coworkers. Lastly, they don't offer full-time positions unless you're in management. If you don't mind low pay and no benefits whatsoever, then it's an ok place for a first job.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Awesome company to work for

I worked at TJX Companies

Pros

Work life balance, amazing leadership

Cons

Nasty people in the region and zone office

Check your upper management!

Not that great

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of nice people who work for the company. The office space is large and comfortable. If you need time off, they are good with that. Once in a while they will do nice group things for the employees.

Cons

This company can be hard to move up in. If a supervisor or higher up doesn't like you, your gone. Even if you work hard, it all comes down to liking you. The supervisors make it kind of obvious if they personally don't like you too. Some supervisors act pretty immature.Raises are a joke there. The database is from the 80's and is not user friendly. The work you do takes double the time due to the old program they use.

MA's are overwhelmed and need more help.

very corporate but friendly

Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

positive atmposhere and casual dress code

Cons

little growth for Merchandise Assistants.

Stop hiring assistants out of of college because in a year or two they will want more. TJX is unwilling to give them that.

Fun store but not enough time to do everything required of you.

I worked at TJX Companies part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a fun store to work at and the associates and customers are generally friendly. There is a lot of variety in the work you have to do, and it is very fast-paced. I enjoyed working at this store.

Cons

The company asks a lot of associates. It is almost impossible to live up to all their expectations. There are not enough people to keep the sales floor looking as good as it should. Work is not evenly distributed among the coordinators. Some departments have a lot more activity than others. There are often not enough cashiers available to assist at checkout.

Management is too tight on the payroll budget, and many of the processing/work time goals are unreasonable. They are obviously based on 'perfect world' scenarios, which is not reality.

okay

I have been working at TJX Companies

Pros

its good cause you have discounts

Cons

make you work late and over