TSA (Transportation Security Administration)
www.tsa.gov Arlington 5000+ Employees

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Administrator John S. Pistole

John S. Pistole

Pros:
  • "It is pretty good pay for a job that is non-skilled labor"
    in 14 reviews
  • "It is a federal job so, there are good benefits"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "The TSA is moving to a part-time work force in order to decrease costs and increase flexibility with scheduling"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Full time pay is worse than part time"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

a rollercoaster at best.

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Stepping Stone, Great benefits, prestige

ConsBad employee team building, spotty management, lack of insight and communication

Advice to Senior ManagementReconstruct the chain of command to produce stronger leaders and less workers.

Never a boring moment!

TSO (Former Employee)
Pensacola, FL (US)

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time for more than 3 years

ProsRoom to grow, never gets boring, great benefits, great time off

Consnot a 9-5 job, rules and regulations constantly changing, having to deal with unhappy and stressed passengers

Full benefits for Part Time, Good pay...

TSO (Current Employee)

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time for more than a year

ProsFull time Benefits for Part time hours
Good pay/Paid Training
Ability to advance within the system, or transfer anywhere in country that they have openings.

ConsEarly morning hours/or late evening hours - depending on airport.
Always under scrutiny, tested every year.
Unpleasant passengers (sometimes)

Hit or Miss Job Environment

Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time for more than a year

ProsThe main pro is job security. Even with cuts throughout the Federal government, if you earn even a bit of seniority it's very hard to lose your job. In addition, you can end up working with some pretty cool people and building camaraderie in your assigned area.

ConsYou never know what you're going to get for job environment. Each airport is different in how they run things, and even each assigned station may change. Sometimes you have a regular assignment with a good supervisor (like my first airport), other times you rotate your assignment every day and have micromanaging, abusive supervisors (like my second). It's a turkey shoot and just hope you get something cool... otherwise, you may be stuck doing heavy labor for anal-retentive jerks.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your supervisors and upper management stick to the SOP and don't try and throw their own rules into the mix. Nothing worse than being trained one way only to be berated for it when you transfer to another airport.

Toxic work environment!

TSA OFFICER (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

ProsMaybe you find that the benefits is good, I personally don't few like is worth the aggravation! I rather keep my sanity!!

ConsSome TSO's are nice people, others are rats!! They tell on you, they talk and gossip behind your back! There's a lot of clicks between officers and supervisor, sometimes I few like I am inside of a snake pit!!
Managers and Supervisor are bias, if they don't like you, good luck!!! I am being harassed every day! I few like I work in a concentration camp! Micro-management!

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think that's a easy fix! They are all the same!! I don't trust anyone there!!

Its ok

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

ProsBenefits are good. If you like the job, you will enjoy it, but if you dont, you wont...

ConsOnly get 25 hours as part time
Not easy to advance

Great Company

Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsThe benefits and pay are excellent

ConsPoor management and organization skills

Advice to Senior ManagementStop keeping supervisors with several write ups around just because of senority

tsa

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Prosseeing famous people and getting off early

Conslow pay rude people, no support

Great work if you like a stressful environment and low pay!

Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you need work and your backgrounds clean and credits good then it may be for you or if you’re looking to get into other departments. Opportunity to move up, depends on your record or background. Secure job if you can tolerate it. All kinds of shifts. Meet a lot of people from around the world.

ConsBe ready to divulge all your background info. If you make it pass the testing and checks and get sworn in, then hope you get a good shift because it's by seniority. You start part-time on probation for 2 yrs. If you don’t like the location you can relocate after a year if your records good. You get the standard benefits. No travel benefits or discounts, legal reasons. I worked at 3 major airports and all are basically the same. You may work at different parts of the airport or just checkpoint. You’ll have to be able to deal with some of the nut jobs flying and/or working with you! You also have to be comfortable working around a lot of machines, x-rays for example and a lot of people. You have to follow their operation bible which supersedes common sense. Most checkpoints aren't designed with your safety or well-being, focus is mainly on getting passengers and bags through as quickly as possible which serves the airline$ bottom line! And so after 9 yrs I finally resigned!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the safety and well-being of the officers on the floor into consideration when implementing policies and equipment.

Poor pay, poor treatment, not a good place to work.

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time

ProsYou may get your dignity and self-esteem back once you quit. Will make the other jobs that you have had, that you thought were bad, now seem not as bad, compared to the TSA.

ConsLow pay. Now starting most new hires as part time with less than 40 hours per week. Very little chance for advancement for males, even with previous military or law enforcement experience. Females get hired, and advanced, for being females. Results of this policy: unqualified supervisors, anyone who can do something else, leaves, anyone who is not capable of doing anything else stays. Our government and TSA management is too stupid to even see this happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you evaluate someone for a supervisor position, are you so stupid that you do not stop to think what it would be like to work under this person? Don't you think that it will soon be apparent to everyone that the supervisor is unqualified? Don't you think that this will cause resentment? Would you work for a supervisor that is nasty and petty? Would you go work somewhere else? Are your employees leaving and going to work someplace else?
(Actually, I already know you've got no choice, you've got to retain and promote the women to make it a 50/50 workplace.)

All of the male supervisors, male leads, and the airport manager, have been positive, upbeat, helpful, and friendly. I respect them, and I respect their previous military and law enforcement service. I never had a problem on their shifts, nor did I see anyone else have a problem on their shifts. Unfortuneately, the TSA has promoted women just for showing up, women who otherwise would not be qualified to do anything, and whose temperment, and disposition would probably not allow them to keep their jobs in the private sector. Not only does their lack of judgement come out in thier petty bitterness and pursuit of insignificant things, it inspires the less experienced workers to follow their lead with petty squabbles and tatle-taling occuring on thier shifts.

Hey, you've ruined the military too.

Worked for TSA (Transportation Security Administration)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TSA (Transportation Security Administration) CEO John S. Pistole. All 133 reviews are posted anonymously by TSA (Transportation Security Administration) employees.