TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

www.tsa.gov
  www.tsa.gov

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
Updated 30 October 2014
2.4

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Administrator John S. Pistole
John S. Pistole

Pros
  • Good pay for the work and good benefits (in 17 reviews)

• It is pretty good pay for a job that is non-skilled labor (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • When you first get hired with TSA, they want you to work part time (in 11 reviews)

• Limited growth potential, work-life balance is very unbalanced towards work (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

TSO

Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Jamaica, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Jamaica, NY (US)

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a whole TSA can be a rewarding career or just a foot in the door for the thousands of government jobs out there in the world

Cons

It's like high school, people too much worried about who and what you doing. How this one got that promotion and what not.... Ain't nobody got time for that

The pay is good, and you will be trained to perform any tasks that are assigned to you.

Former Employee - Tso
    Former Employee - Tso

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time

Pros

There is a lot of room for growth and opportunity to advance. You work for your scheduled hours and htere is nothing ot take home with you.

Cons

Work hours can be odd shifts and jobs require a lot of physical movement and being on your feet for long periods of time.

Treat people as indivduals, not as numbers. View situations on a case by case basis.

Coworkers were great...

Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meet all types of people, okay paycheck, good training program

Cons

Working with the public, working for the government

The government needs to quit changing rules and policies all the time so employees and the public are on the same page.

It wasn't too bad working at TSA

Current Employee - TSA Screener in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - TSA Screener in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The $$ was good, but the shifts weren't too family friendly. The shifts killed me the most because its not routine, not even for a 3 month period. I liked getting exposed to the diverse public (except the crazies) its interesting to view some one else's perspective on security.

Cons

Having to deal with difficult passengers were a pain in the neck

Make more job courses equally available to everyone else not just your buddies or your favorites.

TSO

Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Gulfport, MS (US)
    Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Gulfport, MS (US)

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing health benefit package as a federal employee. Lots of paid time off and one of the very best Healthcare benefits. If you are willing to move nationwide for for progression, you can realistically be promoted every year for quite a few years. Just keep a clean file.

Cons

Not my ideal line of work. Small airports are incredibly micromanaged.

Great job with a lot of opportunity and good people.

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Pros

Has a lot of opportunity once you are in, great benefits and compensation right off the bat. Some of the people there are amazing and what's better than looking at the beautiful passengers as they are waling through the airport.

Cons

Work/Life balance is poor. There is no flexibility, you either work the schedule they tell you or nothing. Everything is based on seniority so you will get stuck with bad off days and working a terrible shift.

Half

Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Agana Heights, GU (US)
    Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Agana Heights, GU (US)

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Pros are that you learn so much and meet new people all the time. Also it helped me appreciate TSA a lot more than I did when I was a passenger. The learning process was awesome, everyday was a new experience. Same procedure, but new people and new steps on them .

Cons

Challenges would be the time, but what can we do about that?!

Please never forget to applaud your employees. You may think that you do, but the employees can feel it. Don't only notice the small mistakes or any mistakes, but take time to notice the hard work they have done and continue to do. I mean, what are you without your staff?

Glass Ceiling at small airports, no room for advancement.

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time

Pros

Great government benefits.
    Health Insurance
    Retirement
    Holiday pay
    easy work just see a lot of passengers

Cons

No room for advancement
    a lot of training and you have to re-certify by testing every year.
    work procedures are always changing

listen to the little people.
    treat them well and they will work well.
    work on changing the pay scale to the GS scale.

The TSA is just an ok company to work for. It could be so much better but the public's opinion of the agency is horrible

Current Employee - LTSO
    Current Employee - LTSO

Pros

Easy job, great benefits, opportunity for advancement, great "foot in the door" agency for government work, decent pay

Cons

extremely repetitive, unorganized, hated by the public, inconsistency throughout the organization, reactive not proactive, focused more on customer service than security

Pay more attention to your workforce than you do to the opinions of the public. Proper training of officers could turn public opinions around

TSA- Some good, some bad

Current Employee - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) in Honolulu, HI (US)
    Current Employee - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) in Honolulu, HI (US)

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great med/den/vision benefits with part time and full time employment
    -pays well
    -Travel oppurtunity
    -Ability to move states and keep job
    -Meet people from all walks of life and backgrounds
    - very cool training
    - awesome employee events and discounts

Cons

-Supervisors like to micromanage their workers (too many supervisors with power trip)
    -Horrible at organizing officer paperwork
    -Always being tested
    -Not alotted enough time to finish required courses
    -Crazy weird work schedules, difficult if you have kids

Listen to your workforce. We show up everyday ready to work and protect the traveling public, dont make it harder on us by micromanaging the SOP with your own made up rules and preferences while handing out reprimand and guidance letters to us like candy. We know we are the worker bees and we're ok with that but at least back us up the way we back you up.

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Photos

TSA Headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user jbpics4u All rights reserved.)
TSA Headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user jbpics4u All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo