TUI Travel

Updated 22 September 2014
3.2

TUI Travel CEO Peter Long
Peter Long

Pros
  • Being able to move around the world to different locations is fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• healthy working environment & good people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted (in 4 reviews)

• Luton location rather sterile but they do their best to keep staff entertained despite being away from bright lights of London (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Cares far more about its shareholders than its staff

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Brighton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some very talented and likeable individuals whom I've learnt a great deal from and become great friends with.

Amazing quality and breadth of travel products across the portfolio. If you can imagine it, TUI probably offers it.

Good pay

Cons

An ageing and very archaic hierarchy with lots of office politics and a large blame culture. Slow to adopt new technology and processes across the entirety of the group. Thomson and First Choice get the big bucks and opportunities thrown at them for good TUI PR, whilst many of the other brands are antiquated and have a lot to catch up on.

Synergy and Communication - Terrible internal communication across the group resulting in disconnected activity and duplicated efforts, resulting in huge unnecessary costs. The structure of 'growth via acquisition' where each brand is managed individually means many brands were formally competitors and this results in unhealthy internal competition where brands don't like sharing their results and strategies across the group.
    Even down to things such as inductions, you receive no welcome pack or formal welcome. You're just left to your own devices to try and find what you might need on the least user-friendly intranet. There's also no up to date global contacts directory so you have to track colleagues down via your own means.

Group benefits - There was outcry why Thomas Cook slashed their benefits but they're still better than TUI's, unless you work for an individual brand. I went on one Thomson flight and didn't go on a single TUI holiday during my 3 years at TUI as it was cheaper to shop with competitors, even as a staff member.

Career progression - I hit the glass ceiling within my first roll there and it seems to be more of a case of 'who you know' than 'what you know' when it comes to promotions with a definite 'boys' club' culture. It's very cut throat and those I've seen progress within the head office functions aren't afraid to trample over others to get to where they want to be.

Members of corporate and head office functions have less sense of belonging than those working for one of the brands where staff morale is much higher.

Very poor work / life balance and office environment - very little in the way of team building exercises, staff entertainment and functions. For example we had to arrange our own Christmas parties within our team and weren't invited to other nearby Christmas parties within the group.

Concentrate more efforts on the needs of your customers and employees than the London Stock Exchange.

Mistreated

Former Employee - Travel Adviser  in  Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Travel Adviser in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best things about working for TUI was the people I worked with as we were all close because of the environment of the shop. I also got to go to Tenerife free which was a great experience.

Cons

Unfortunately I worked for TUI in a retail shop selling holidays and in the bureau de change, which was a stressful environment. This is to be expected when working in a store however, in the two years I worked for the company, the incentive dropped from 5% to 2.5% which meant that it was stressful work for hardly any reward. There seemed to be no room to progress and no opportunities to develop myself which meant that I sought alternative employment, found it and am much happier as a result of this. I enjoyed my time there, but definitely not a life job for me..

Reward your staff more with bonus's and a raised incentive. If you want great results, reward your employees when they do perform great.

Creatively crushing

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There seems to be some good recruitment where talented individuals are hired who bring knowledge, big ideas and are always a good laugh. Industry as a whole is interesting and there's a lot of potential to experiment with new ideas and technology.

Cons

Old school view of how a company should run. Minimal acceptance for anything new.
    Too many 'no' people.
    People always want something new and exciting yet seem terrified of doing anything different when it comes down to it. "Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results".
    Most ideas are trampled on.
    Always 'something' better on the horizon to appease concerns but concerns are never quite addressed.
    Little development, education or training. Minimal investment in staff.
    High turn-over of staff - Quickly lose those talented individuals.
    Politics get in the way of everything, you just can't get anything done without every level having their input (sometimes felt like people would say something for the sake of it).
    Blame culture.
    Little time given to do a good job before something else needs to be done yesterday.
    A very top heavy structure with little support for those towards the bottom.
    Seems to be lots of talk but no action. Resulting in another meeting.
    Quite often low moral.
    Ideas/Strategy seems to change as it comes down the chain of command which is confusing. Being told one thing my the most senior staff but direct management are relaying something different - occasionally the opposite?!

Trust those talented people you have hired to do their specialist job. Things might actually pick up if you allow people to exercise the ideas they have from time to time. Respect the fact that new ideas might fail but if something is learnt then it has been a success - allow the staff to know its ok to fail. Visibility of a sound strategy would be helpful. Invest in your staff. Invest in the culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Things don't move fast

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere. People aren't very strict. Healthy work-life balance.

Cons

It can be hard to get things done, like working with HR and figuring out the bureaucracy.

Wonderful product, passionate co workers, hierarchical organisation

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun product (holidays), great co workers

Cons

Medium level salaries, unmature HR

An international experience with many exciting challenges

Current Employee - Commercial Support Manager
    Current Employee - Commercial Support Manager

I have been working at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- international working environment
    - opportunity to develop and try many different types of roles
    - dynamic and result driven company

Cons

- as it is a large organisation, the internal politics can be inefficient and time consuming
    - although it is an international environment it is still challenging to move roles across businesses if you do not know the right people. (HR have limited visibility, motivation to work across businesses and markets)

- continue to challenge yourselves
    - evaluate/analyse cost savings and actions better and understand what their long term impact will be for the business

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great travel benefits, employee reviews consistent.

Cons

Brands and different companies under main holding company tended to be convoluted.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Online Marketing and Sales Internship  in  Düsseldorf (Germany)
    Former Employee - Online Marketing and Sales Internship in Düsseldorf (Germany)

I worked at TUI Travel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The senior management was very supportive in its directions and in the leadership approach. Hierarchies are rather flat, which makes it possible to have your say in decisions.

Cons

Career development and perspectives for young talents should be put a stronger focus on by senior management, in order to keep employees motivated.

TUI Travel. The leading travel and tourism corporation

I have been working at TUI Travel

Pros

Great learning of modern management in a multinational

Cons

Internal politics, salary and benefits low

Restructuring is common at TUI, so if stability is what you want, maybe not your kind of employer

Good company to start with.

Former Employee - Product Executive - Spanish Market  in  Palma (Spain)
    Former Employee - Product Executive - Spanish Market in Palma (Spain)

I worked at TUI Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Multicultural enviroment, wonderful Christmas parties, well known and reputable company, the business is growing every year, competitive salary.

Cons

You feel like you are a number.

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!