Talbots Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

3.2

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler
Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50% (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores (in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

If you want to be empowered this is the place to be!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

An amazing new leadership team from the very tippy top that empowers and supports you to grow in your career and as an individual. If you want to make a difference and serve your customers and your community this is the place you want to work!

Cons

Those of us that have stayed with the company woild like yearly merit increases to be reinstated as soon as we are in the position to do so, which I totally believe is on its way with our new leadership team!

So happy with the changes made within the company. I believe in the vision! First time I am proud and honored to be a part of an amazing organization!

Love My Job

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time

Pros

Love my job with Talbots… Amazing co-workers and the sweetest, most loyal customers. Benefits are some of the best to be found in Retailing.

If you love what you do, and are GOOD at it, then they will invest in you, giving you unlimited potential for growth in the company.

Cons

Compensation is not nearly what it used to be. No annual raises

Amazing and friendly place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Wyomissing, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wyomissing, PA (US)

I have been working at Talbots as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is an amazing one to work for. They offer scholarships to woman pursuing education, are flexible with schedules and the management at the WYO store is amazing.

Cons

Corporate needs to listen more to employees and they need to reevaluate what is sent to store and what is catalog only.

Offer more full-time employment options with better pay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Associates are achieving a generous discount. Salaries are also higher compared to some other retailers. I found that the company are making an effort to create a balance between work and family for their employers. The company has a big focus on creating close connections with customers. You are expected to reach out to your customers/clients on a regularly basis to invite them in to the store, and set up personal shopping appointments. This close interaction was positive for me. If you are not into creating these kind of connections, chose another retailer!

Cons

All the changes in the company the last couple of years. Hopefully things has finally got settled.

Listen more actively to your store management teams. They are the most aware of customers reactions and comments. I know that the higher management are trying to listen, but more could be done!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Oppotunities and growth with the company. Great benefits, MOST GENERAL MANAGERS are amazing, the sales associates, DM, and REGIONAL DIRECTOR were all amazing

Cons

Alot of sales associates were stressed about sales goals, which could lead to panic, but if you can sell, you will do fine!!! While i was there i had many mentors that were amazing, and some supervisors along the way that were great at first put then tanked. Bottom line, if your GM is in for the long haul and there to coach and assist, the work environment couldnt be better!! Like i said, rarely, that is an issue, this company has great leaders!!!

As long as you show up and stay out of the office and spend time in the building you will retain respect from the staff

Frustrating at it's best.

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The associates in the stores are great as well as the customers. Compensation is fair.

Cons

The business acumen and leadership changes from day to day. You'll spend time doing what they ask and then not receive any acknowledgement of a good job at controlling expenses, hiring great talent, driving business or managing the company's MANY programs. No personal growth or coaching.

They don't want it so why give it.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, Not difficult work, Nice loyal customers

Cons

Management drama, No raises. I know this is retail, but why have stores open on major holidays when your core customer is a retired woman who has already shopped ahead of time for herself so she can focus on her family during these occasions? "Aunt Bea" isn't going to leave her guests to shop anywhere at 6 pm after Thanksgiving dinner or at any other time that evening! She has class and grace and traditional values. This goes for Easter and Christmas Eve as well. If you are unwilling to give your hard working employees any raises, at least give them the dignity of spending well deserved time off with their families, especially since during the aforementioned times, the stores are empty- you don't even offer special door-busters to draw people in so what's the point! Maybe corporate would like to take these shifts!

At store level, communicate more directly and honestly with each other and those under you. At the corporate level, sales strategy needs to be straight forward; no more 4 different percentages off- it confuses the customers no matter how well the signage is and nothing is ever correct at POS. You need to use higher quality raw materials, rely less on opening up credit cards to pad bottom line and focus on a better, more relevant product for profits. Raises would be nice especially if based on sales performance, not on overall store performance. Why should I be punished for the lack of effort from other associates or less than stellar management practices?

Talbots is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Talbots part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management at my store in Phipps Plaza is spectacular! They really care about their employees. Many of the Talbots customers have been shopping with Talbots for years or even decades which makes it really easy and fun to help customers find what they are looking for. Everyone is always in a good mood. The workload is much lighter and more laid back than other retail stores i have worked at & there is room for advancement if you show interest. Not to mention the discount is amazing and the clothes are super cute which makes it easy to be passionate about the company. We also get paid every Friday which is great!

Cons

You will run across your occasional stuck-up, rude customer but that is expected in all jobs. They really push to sell the credit cards and at times it can get overbearing and unenjoyable. Some customers will complain to you about the quality of the clothing. Customers will often times try to get price adjustments and discounts that are unreasonable, but that is manly the managements duty. If you don't like bagging up the trash, vacumming every opening & closing shift & swiffering the floors regularly then this is not the job for you, but generally these tasks take very little time to complete.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Supporting Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Supporting Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pleasant environment. The stores are very nice and usually located in nice surroundings. The employee discount is generous. They offer flexible hours so employees are able to attend school, or simply spend more time with their families.

Cons

The hourly wages are low and they don't offer commission. There is constant pressure to push their credit card, and no monetary incentive to do so.

Reward your sales force for their performance, instead of just telling them every single day that they need to sell more.

Great place, great Brand, great Legacy

I have been working at Talbots full-time

Pros

Wonderful people, fantastic work environment and life/work balance. People here truly care for the company and our customers.

Cons

Health insurance is the worst I've ever had and outrageously expensive. Pay is not great either.

Your health insurance is not in keeping with expressed, and demonstrated corporate values.

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!