Talbots

Talbots Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler

Lizanne Kindler

Pros
  • I found the position to be a decent work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50%(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores(in 21 reviews)

• They don't hire from within and don't give raises to sales associates(in 13 reviews)

Nice place to work

Supporting Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsPleasant environment. The stores are very nice and usually located in nice surroundings. The employee discount is generous. They offer flexible hours so employees are able to attend school, or simply spend more time with their families.

ConsThe hourly wages are low and they don't offer commission. There is constant pressure to push their credit card, and no monetary incentive to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your sales force for their performance, instead of just telling them every single day that they need to sell more.

Great place, great Brand, great Legacy

ProsWonderful people, fantastic work environment and life/work balance. People here truly care for the company and our customers.

ConsHealth insurance is the worst I've ever had and outrageously expensive. Pay is not great either.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour health insurance is not in keeping with expressed, and demonstrated corporate values.

I enjoy working at Talbots

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI work with pleasant co-workers and have a great manager who is very supportive of the associates. We receive a 40- 60 percent discount which is a great benefit. It is nice to be able to help customers have a great shopping experience at Talbots.

ConsI think upper management is out of tune as to what goes on daily in the stores. They need to work in the store for a week before they make decisions or make comments about how the manager or staff can improve sales, etc. Pay is minimal and one should not expect a raise in years. We work hard and take pride in this but the store is not recognized unless it meets their goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be more realistic and also review their policy of returns. No matter which store the clothing is purchased at, the store that it is returned to takes the hit. We can have a good selling day but the returns kill our numbers. It is very discouraging when you are not a major store and have high sales.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Where You Can Make a Positive Impact!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN (US)

ProsA company where you can make a positive impact on the overall performance and customer experience. If one is willing to work hard, collaborate with other team members and communicate effectively upward within the organization, then the experience working for Talbots is very positive and exciting. It's rare to find a company where the CEO actually reaches out to customers to connect, especially when there is an opportunity to improve the overall customer experience!

ConsThe business performance recovery is taking a bit longer than we would like in order to restore key benefits like annual merit increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being as transparent as possible with internal employees on business performance progress, look for opportunities to share the wins as progress is achieved, continue to remain very focused on the overall customer experience and invest in technologies where the overall experience can be differentiated and enhanced compared to competitive companies.

Store management and associates have kept this organization's heart beating through some very difficult times.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefit package for full-time employees.
    Excellent merchandise discount.
    Thorough training and reasonable advancement opportunities.
    Generally very nice co-workers and customers.
    Above-average wage for entry-level part-time retail employees.

ConsSo many changes in company leadershilp, direction, and policy have created confusion and uncertainty.
    The company's top-down organization style limits local input and ignores customer feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and solicit store-level input.
    Know your customer and exceed her expectations.

Good Experience while Working Through College

Sales Support Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible scheduling, perfect while working my way through college. The store managers have strong customer service and selling skills. Co-workers are generally willing to switch shifts with you or pick up a shift if you need them to, which I always appreciated. This job helped me become more outgoing and confident working with customers and responding to unknown situations, which is a transferable job skill I use every day in my career. I was able to grow while working here, becoming a member of the brand moment team for new store sets, and also taking a lead sales support role. After graduation, I interviewed for a full time role as an assistant manager, but did not get an offer.

ConsAs in all customer service roles, the customers can be very mean, cranky, negative, and unappreciative.

Not a good experience!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Fresno, CA (US)

ProsThe other sales associates who were having the same issues as myself.

ConsDealing with the pressure to make your daily sales quota. Given only a three month probation time to show yourself I was not given a chance to run the register but only to sell, sell, sell! The manager was not hands on upfront and assistant manager seemed to busy help train. Did not seem to be on the same page.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running through employees like they were cattle. Take the time to properly train and keep employees.

Good Job But expectations change daily

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsTalbots really loves its customers and is working hard to return the brand to its former status.

Co workers from a family atmosphere and really care about one another.

ConsThere is no work life balance. Part time associates expected to have open availability but some weeks may get scheduled only 5 - 10 hours.

Unrealistic expectations around individual metric performance.

No merit increase or even cost of living increase for years. No incentive.

Not required to wear the clothes but punished by DM when not.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake Work Life balance a priority.

Understand that associates cannot be 100% dedicated to a part time job

Financial incentives, especially without any pay increase.

Great company, positive outlook

ProsThis company seems to be doing well, and has really narrowed down their niche market.

ConsIf you are interested in making commission, this is not the place for you. I got paid under $10 for my work as a sales associate. As a manager I am sure you'd be paid more and maybe you could make more as a more established employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. But don't rely on clearance and deep sales for your revenue.

Great heritage

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFormer execs were outstanding in their leadership

ConsNew execs have been very rough in sales field

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your people

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!