Talbots

Talbots Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler

Lizanne Kindler

Pros:
  • "I found the position to be a decent work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The Employee discount was good 30% and they would often give 50%"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Changes in upper Management have been frequent"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Assistant Manager has no respect for the sales associates and has no problem expressing it"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I love working at Talbots

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-workers, very supportive upper management teams, love the current senior leadership team. The products are beautiful, classic with modern twist. Quality product with reasonable pricing equals Value. Talbots offers great work life balance. I enjoy coming to work everyday, love my job.

ConsAlthough we are NOT required to wear the brand to work but I always wear Talbots clothes everywhere even outside of work, I spent more money on clothes then I should, love the clothes!

Wonderful learning environment!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPositive learning and selling atmosphere. Loyal customers make up the base of the brand and selling experience which drives store metrics and profitability. Easy and flexible work schedule. Store level and Upper level store management makes coaching and daily tasks easy to understand and set reasonable sales goals. In my particular store location we had a very low turn-over-rate and had a variety of different types of people working together to achieve one large goal!

ConsChanges happen quickly and can be hard to implement right away. Otherwise, I was very satisfied with how management chose to roll out new changes quarterly.

Employees either stay for 1-2 years or 20-30 years

Database Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)
Hingham, MA (US)

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work is steady and manageable, and managers support flexibility in hours distribution. It is easy to get a half day for last minute appointments, which can be a blessing.

ConsNot much room for growth within departments. Talbots has been closing many stores and letting many employees go at corporate. It is not unheard of for emails to go through one day and bounce back the next because someone has been cut without warning. Territorial management does not promote a team atmosphere, and job insecurity promotes a tendency towards micromanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllowing employees to rely on each other and trust good workers to do good work.

Good Job- High stakes sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Talbots part-time for less than a year

Pros-Excellent pay
-Small, intimate company
-Faithful customer base
-Consistent feedback on your performance, and goal oriented sales

Cons-Discouraged from social relationships with other associates
-Competitive sales
-The brand and style can be slightly outdated, and the customer base is loyal, but small. Where other companies are sales driven, this one is so in a desperate way. Every dollar is meticulously counted, and your worth depends on your sales.
-You will not get commission for these sales
-The high stakes with low reward can be stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdating the brand will help the business, and work atmosphere.

General Manager excited for the future!

General Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNo one values their customers like Talbots. All decisions made are with her in mind, the current senior leadership team is totally committed and on the same path to make her happy. The shift in on-line versus brick-and-mortar is tough on all retailers, but Talbots understands the key to success is amazing service. Current initiatives reinforce this belief and are an exciting challenge for all of us in stores. The environment is decidedly collaborative, with all voices being heard, respected and valued.

ConsNo merit increases over several past years, although opportunities to bonus are becoming more and more available.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening, you will always learn from your customers and your teams!

Good learning experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Talbots part-time

ProsGreat culture, customer service is very important (which is empowering to employees), company stands behind their product and coworkers were wonderful.

This was a side job while I was in school so it was perfectly fine for the type of job I was looking for.

ConsStore manager didn't really do anything, assistant managers did the work while she took the credit (especially when the DM was in town).

Doesn't seem to have a real system for employees who want to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen DM visits stores have them take time to talk to the employees one on one so we can answer honestly about whats going on in the store.

Employees are the backbone of stores, if they feel empowered they will work that much harder.

Doing what's right for the customers & employees

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company has great leadership from the CEO down the ranks. Great values as a company that takes great care of the employee as well as the customer.

ConsGet an awesome discount...spend a great deal on clothes! I love fashion so there's really no cons!

Advice to Senior ManagementI think we're on the right track as a brand, Management is always seeking feedback from the field which will only make our brand the brand of choice!

Talbot's is a great place to work

District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best thing about working at Talbot's is the people. The Company also is open to feedback and applies it. My boss is supportive of my develpment and wants to see me grow. The Co.has recently added some new positions to support the field.

ConsChanges in upper Management have been frequent. I feel this new exceutive team is the right team to move the Co.forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue moving the company in a profitable direction. The streamlined focus has been very effective. It really shows you care about the people that face the customer daily. Please continue to evlove the product & marketing.

Exceptional work experience!

District Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTalbots has moved forward through a tough retail environment over the last 2 years thanks to an amazing executive leadership team, a focus on the customer, delivering quality, an inspired work force and making smart decisions. I feel incredibly lucky to have been a part of the process as a District Manager and to be empowered and enabled to lead my team in a way that balances celebration and inspiration with accountability. I'm encouraged to have a work/life balance and to make decisions based on my experience and knowledge. I am trusted to do what I do best... drive results through my phenomenal team. There are paths for advancement for those who are interested and we all are challenged to always be improving... for ourselves, for the customer, for the brand.

ConsBecause Talbots is a fleet of several hundred stores and a very expansive online/direct business... decisions and changes can take what seems to be a long time. It can be positive that decisions aren't rushed or made before careful consideration but for those of us who are passionate and results driven, the process can seem slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the upper managment... continue your commitment to transparency, open communication and collaboration with the field leaders.The store teams can see a difference and it is motivating them to own their business and the customer experience. Keep listening to the customer as she is loyal and passionate but has very high expectations of us.

Senior leadership

Store Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNew leadership is making a difference in overall store results. They are communicating performance and insight to reason behind actions.

ConsOld district managers that know no other type if business other than Talbots. They are good at saying one thing and doing the opposite when not being watched. They only know fear based managing and are unable to coach to encourage others to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch what DM's emails say to groups. De-motivating staff members!

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!

Talbots Videos

Talbots – Why Work for Us?

Our Company Talbots is a multi-channel retailer of women's classic apparel, shoes and accessories. We're known for providing gracious service and a quality selection of timeless wardrobe essentials designed to fit women… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Talbots reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Talbots CEO Lizanne Kindler . All 255 reviews are posted anonymously by Talbots employees.