Teach for America
www.teachforamerica.org New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Teach for America Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros:
  • "TFA is an excellent organization for professional development and has a very supportive culture"
    in 39 reviews
  • "It's nice to know that you're making a difference in people's lives"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Both placement districts and Teach For America expect long hours"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Tough but Worth Your Effort if You Can Stomach the Challenge

Corps Member (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

ProsI'm very glad that I completed my corps commitment now that it is over. There were so many times that I wanted to quit my first year, but I survived. My perception is that the support has gotten better since I left the corps.

ConsI really was not a good teacher my first year, I feel guilty about that, but I really did put in absolutely as much effort as was physically possible. I was a good teacher my second year and I stayed in my placement school a third year trying to make up for the damage I caused during that awful first year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI actually really like the new changes that have been implemented over the past year, I think they are setting a promising direction for the corps experience.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Part-Time Phone Interviewing--flexible opportunity to contribute to the organization.

Phone Interviewer (Current Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Teach for America part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility, thorough training, support from staff, opportunity to contribute to a meaningful organization.

ConsNeed to take thorough and accurate notes very quickly.

Difficult but rewarding

Corps Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTFA is an excellent organization for professional development and has a very supportive culture. Supervisors constantly push you to be better. The work is very hard, but it is the most rewarding thing I've done in my life. TFA makes advocates for education, and my experience will affect the rest of my career.

ConsThis is the toughest job I can imagine. There are lots of demands on your time and energy, but it's worth it. Do not apply for TFA if you're trying to build your resume; you must be truly passionate about helping kids to make it through your commitment. You also need to be able to dedicate all of yourself to this mission for two years. Work/life balance is pretty difficult to achieve. The worst part about TFA's incentives: You have to pay taxes on the AmeriCorps award when you use it. Also, paying for certification costs in certain states can be extremely expensive and feel wasteful if you don't plan to stay in education.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to help pay for Corps Member's certification classes -- we're not paid enough to meet these high costs in some states. Also, find a way to help CMs build resumes for their fields post-commitment.

Teach For America is an amazing company to work for.

I worked at Teach for America

ProsDeveloped a host of hard and soft skills

ConsMy time was limited to a summer internship

Campus Campaign Coordinator

Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Teach for America part-time for more than a year

ProsI had a lot of authority to set my own goals and make decisions about how to run the campaign. I really liked my boss and co-workers. At the end of the year, I felt very accomplished and fulfilled.

ConsI felt like I didn't have any support from my Recruitment Manager or co-workers. A lot of the work fell on my back. While the work was directly related to helping TFA achieve its mission, I felt very separated from the impact I was making.

Wonderful Work Environment

I worked at Teach for America

ProsTeach For America has a wonderful work environment that really values staff's professional development and feedback.

ConsThe work hours are long and at time staff can get cynical but overall I think it is a great place to work.

Life changing experience

I have been working at Teach for America

ProsWorking with students from a diverse background was very satisfying and this experience will stay with me for the rest of my life.

ConsSome corps members are placed in really tough schools were they may not receive enough support.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess time and energy on getting corps member to drink the "kool-aid" and more time and energy on lesson planning and activities

Hardest Job I'll Ever Love

Corps Member (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

Pros-Passionate Colleagues
-Commitment to improvement (both intra-organization and the other corps members)
-Access to resources for your classroom
-Good networking for charter schools all over the country
-Opportunity for a free Master's in Education

Cons-Attitude of "I can work harder than you can work"
-Lots of propaganda
-Some TERRIBLE job placements
-Not enough support for some content areas

Advice to Senior Management-Make sure all contents get adequate support
-Screw retention numbers and fire teachers that deserve it
-Make efforts to find good jobs for young professionals in Memphis for those that want to stay in the city but not in the classroom.

It's all about your attitude.

Teacher (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Teach for America full-time for more than a year

ProsIt really depends on where you're placed but as long as you have a positive outlook on every morning, you'll have a great experience.

ConsThey have been so focused on diversity that admission standards have started to slip.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept the best, no matter who they are, or where they came from

Good mission that sometimes misses the mark.

I worked at Teach for America

ProsThe fundamentals are there for quality teaching, but the execution is not. I received coaching on issues I faced in the classroom that were relatively aligned to my actual needs as a developing teacher.

ConsThere are too many people who aren't thinking critically about their work, which leads to rapid ladder climbing with little hard fought testing of manager ability, which leads to breakdowns up and down the leadership ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe reflective on your issues with connecting with communities and focus on the growth of individuals, not simply churning new CMs through templates.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach for America reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Teach for America CEO Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard . All 304 reviews are posted anonymously by Teach for America employees.