Teach for America

Updated 21 October 2014
Updated 21 October 2014
3.8

Matthew Kramer & Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • opportunities for professional development and taking on big jobs early in one's career (in 50 reviews)

• Passionate, intelligent colleagues, great benefits and option to work from home (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance involved in the corps commitment is a significant challenge (in 42 reviews)

• Long hours and work/personal life balance can be difficult as a first year (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Place to Work

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

The culture is really great

Cons

They have a "no negotiation" policy in regards to salary.

Institute Internship

Former Employee - Operations Intern in Cleveland, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Intern in Cleveland, MS (US)

I worked at Teach for America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-great professional development
    -get to work in a new place for a short period of time
    -really talented people
    -great way to check out the organization (if you are thinking about joining the corps)
    -lots of feedback

Cons

-management team could sometimes be a bit better (brilliant, but sometimes not clear on expectations/planning)
    -sometimes force you into difficult conversations about social issues without really knowing the team yet
    -compensation is about minimum wage (but you gain a lot of great skills and have a great organization on your resume afterwards)

Recruitment and Admissions Marketing Intern

I worked at Teach for America as an intern

Pros

Amazing company to intern for. Everybody in the office was nice, helpful and welcoming. Not a huge commitment. Had weekly professional development seminars which were incredibly helpful. A great 1st internship experience, and one that helped me decide I wanted to pursue a career in education. A very inspiring work environment. Young. Upbeat.

Cons

Unpaid, which is expected of an internship but it could be improved upon by providing at least a transportation stipend. Limited hours which isn't good if you are trying to get a tun out of it.

Very rewarding but very stressful.

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you love your kids and are changing their lives.

Cons

very time consuming
    very stressful

Help by giving less to do and more support.

Associate, Compliance Support

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, learning curve is high, great work-life balance, not stressful, wonderful co-workers

Cons

Not as intellectually stimulating as other jobs

great place to be on staff, highly recommend it if you are aligned with the organizational mission

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*very intentional and values-driven organization
    *competitive compensation for non-profit organization
    * strong benefits package
    * hardworking, dedicated, fun co-workers
    * great alumni and staff network and opportunity to learn from very talented, caring people with experiences in a variety of for-profits and non-profits
    * flexible work hours (long hours, but can work remotely for many national team roles)
    * opportunities for professional development and taking on big jobs early in one's career

Cons

* long work hours - everyone is dedicated to their work and many are young team members without families so sometimes tricky to find balance or you feel like you don't want to say no (although organization is committed to providing tools and resources that support this)
    * going through organizational transition between regional and national teams so staff experience and strength of your manager / professional development may differ based on specific team
    * if you are on the national team, may operate in a very virtual way, include several communication loops and checkpoints with a variety of stakeholders before rolling out big projects, and/or have lots of national travel (this could be a pro or con depending on what you are looking for and your work style but good to know)

I respect the transparency and intentionality with which the most senior staff members operate. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on staff, and would love to return to staff again if I find an aligned opportunity. As I indicated in my exit interview, I think it would be worthwhile to dedicate more organizational resources to the staff experience and more consistently retaining and developing staff members who have been on the team for a while, particularly given organizational shifts

Campus Outreach Intern

I worked at Teach for America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to do, work your own hours, just source qualified student leaders on campus and email them.

Cons

Mundane at times. unless you're interested in doing the program in the future, don't waste your time.

Teach for America - Lots of Work, Lots of Rewards

I worked at Teach for America

Pros

Great PD, great people, wonderful experience

Cons

Lots of hours, but that is just part of the job

Great!

I have been working at Teach for America

Pros

Very fun! and enjoyable- anyone would love it

Cons

Hard work! lots of hours

great!

Corp Member

Current Employee - TFA Corps Member in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - TFA Corps Member in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professional development/training to fresh out of college students without strong corporate background. A great place to challenge yourself-- you will be thrown into a place with little to no structure and forced to create systems/structure that works for you and your students. Not recommended for everyone.

Cons

There may be truth to the claim that TFA expanded too quickly and is now experiencing the pains of having grown too fast without a concrete plan. Also, there is very little diversity despite being a progressive non-profit organization.