Terex

Updated 9 December 2014
3.6

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo
Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Work life balance 4/10's and everyone is pretty much held to that even salary (in 11 reviews)

• Company where you have an opportunity to make a difference (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Business is cyclical and can have extreme ups and downs (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I worked at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The things that make it worth working there are the following,very competitive wages and benefits.Co workers are always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

I think there are more pros than cons to this company,but for cons I would say sometimes people more deserving of a promotion dont get it when some that dont work as hard do.

Open your eyes a bit,your on the right path.

Terex is a fantastic place to grow a career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In first place, THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH!! * Many opportunities for growth *Great benefits *Good pay *Flexible hours *Tuition reimbursement *401K match @100% *Affordable health insurance *Healthy ways activities *Continous training

Cons

Some people don't realize how lucky they are to be working for this company.

Keep doing a great job! I love the messages and communications on the intranet. I am Terex!

Jul 23, 2014Admin

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are glad Terex has made a positive impact on your work experience. We value your opinion and the diversity inherent in people’s ... More

Great company.

I have been working at Terex

Pros

Great global opportunities, strong company culture, solid values.

Cons

Business is cyclical and can have extreme ups and downs.

Great closer to the coal face but Corporate team typically not understanding real issues

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A large company with relatively good stability and a lot of opportunity for employees. There is a strong values system and the ethical standards are high. At a local level the leadership seems to understand well the challenges of the workers and adapt where possible to make it the best it can be.

Cons

The Corporate team are not very good at communicating with each other or the coal face business units on things that matter. There is a lot of general direction given but it seems a one way street. Employee engagement surveys are done in the old-fashioned once every 3 years method so it is easy for leadership to lose touch with current concerns of staff

Listen more, communicate in 2 directions more often

Excellent, rewarding experience.

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good leadership, good values, and overall pleasant working culture. Compensation is fair, and job satisfaction is very high in my experience. Overall I would certainly recommend.

Cons

Some detractors, with negative personalities reducing overall morale. Could improve on "One Terex" culture, which isn't always evident. There's certainly potential for more team building activities to be made available across the entire business.

Jul 23, 2014Admin

My name is Natasha Valani and I work in the Human Resources department at Terex Corporation. First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are glad Terex has made a positive ... More

Good Company

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and compensation are good. Terex is always looking to better itself through improvement and lean manufacturing initiatives.

Cons

In certain departments in the company career advancement is limited. Some positions have clear levels of advancement, i.e. technician to specialist, specialist to professional, etc. but some positions do not.

Provide more support for capital investments to improve the facilities. Seek and mentor those who desire to move up in the company, regardless of position - not just in operations.

Solid company with room to improve

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great health benefits, respect for work-life balance. The co-workers are super friendly for the most part without being too social/unproductive.

Cons

Compensation could be improved a bit. It seems like maybe the company is about 5%-10% behind the local market. The company does nothing for recycling or green efforts even though the building is set-up to make that easy. The cafe is boring and small. Gyms at work could be cleaned up a bit and made more modern.

Have a better integration training for new engineers

Current Employee - Design Engineer I in Moses Lake, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Design Engineer I in Moses Lake, WA (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time

Pros

Good management at current location. The people that work here are great, the moral is very high

Cons

Parking lot sucks. The building is old and the roof leaks. in the office space the central air often goes out so you are either freazing at your desk in the winter or sweating in the summer. Propper software for the job would be nice.

design managers should have a good grasp of the whole system of the machines they are working on not just a specific area. Purchase software for both mechanical engineers and electrical engineers.

Aging workforce full of mindless followers of 'the Terex Way' lacking in vision and drive to take it to the next level.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Convenient, and secure work location with covered parking. In general, the people are nice and the benefits are very good.

Cons

Compensation lags the market. The values defined in the Terex Way are followed almost religiously, in cult-like fashion, to the detriment of innovative thought. Not a technology company, Leadership has anointed a leader from finance who served under the new CFO as the new IT leader and CIO - the company is already well behind the times technologically and appointing someone lacking the insights needed to lead the company in this area is not going to advance the organization. Company filled with old, white men - there's limited diversity and women primarily work in an administrative capacity or within HR and the vast majority of employees are over 40. Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company. Have not been very successful in integrating acquisitions to create a unified company with a shared vision.

Get your house in order, decide where the company is going; let technology play a more vital role by bringing the company into the 21st century; diversify your workforce, find ways to attract and retain a younger, more vital workforce with fresh ideas. Try to be more than a finance/capital company. AND - Succession Planning, Succession Planning, Succession Planning!

Jul 24, 2014Admin

On behalf of Terex, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your opinion of Terex is important to us and we will share your comments with our Westport leadership team ... More

Another holding company to benefit shareholders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employment is reasonably stable, for permanent employees. They provide competitive health insurance benefits. Education benefits may be provided, but availability depends heavily on the personality of your manager.

Cons

Low pay for given job functions. Poor prospects for advancement. The company culture is promoted as outwardly positive, but is backwards and oppressive in practice. Although there is a performance bonus, it is so tiny as to be nearly pointless for non-managers.

Upper management prides itself on their corporate culture, but at the ground level ambition and innovation are consistently stamped out, and business decisions are made based on uninformed intuition and personality.