Terex

Updated 24 October 2014
3.7

Terex Chairman and CEO Ron DeFeo
Ron DeFeo

Pros
  • Terex is a reasonable employer that understands a work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity to make your mark and be involved (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • If you come from a different kind of industry you may not be familiar with the ups and downs of heavy construction equipment (in 3 reviews)

• Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Equipment Mfg company focused on Financial games rather that making equipment.

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management team is open to new ideas that will contribute to bottom line. CEO likes to promote segment autonomy.

Cons

Always looking for a magic solution rather than investing the time to commit to a business strategy and philosophy that goes beyond deeper that "profits now!"

Look at the methodology employed by your AWP business segment. The pay-off comes from the method and AWP has been applying it for a long time to get where they are and are fully committed.

Aging workforce full of mindless followers of 'the Terex Way' lacking in vision and drive to take it to the next level.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Convenient, and secure work location with covered parking. In general, the people are nice and the benefits are very good.

Cons

Compensation lags the market. The values defined in the Terex Way are followed almost religiously, in cult-like fashion, to the detriment of innovative thought. Not a technology company, Leadership has anointed a leader from finance who served under the new CFO as the new IT leader and CIO - the company is already well behind the times technologically and appointing someone lacking the insights needed to lead the company in this area is not going to advance the organization. Company filled with old, white men - there's limited diversity and women primarily work in an administrative capacity or within HR and the vast majority of employees are over 40. Company has not done a good job transitioning from a holding company to an operating company. Have not been very successful in integrating acquisitions to create a unified company with a shared vision.

Get your house in order, decide where the company is going; let technology play a more vital role by bringing the company into the 21st century; diversify your workforce, find ways to attract and retain a younger, more vital workforce with fresh ideas. Try to be more than a finance/capital company. AND - Succession Planning, Succession Planning, Succession Planning!

Jul 24, 2014Admin

On behalf of Terex, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your opinion of Terex is important to us and we will share your comments with our Westport leadership team ... More

Another holding company to benefit shareholders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employment is reasonably stable, for permanent employees. They provide competitive health insurance benefits. Education benefits may be provided, but availability depends heavily on the personality of your manager.

Cons

Low pay for given job functions. Poor prospects for advancement. The company culture is promoted as outwardly positive, but is backwards and oppressive in practice. Although there is a performance bonus, it is so tiny as to be nearly pointless for non-managers.

Upper management prides itself on their corporate culture, but at the ground level ambition and innovation are consistently stamped out, and business decisions are made based on uninformed intuition and personality.

Snowball headed for hell

Current Employee - Sales in Grand Rapids, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Grand Rapids, MN (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers, some of the best Ive ever worked with
    Track machines we build are best in the industry and employees are proud of the product they build.
    Never boring.....things always seem to change every two years!

Cons

Big disconnect between management and workers.
    Alot of individuals talents not being utilized
    Company doesnt realize what potential this product could bring them.

Spec sheets dont sell machines, dealers with employees that know how to operate the product and relate to the end user do. You should have never got rid of the dealers that knew how to sell and service our products. Quit raising the prices, we are getting ate alive by our competition. Should maybe sell the buisness to a company that will take it and run with it.

Jul 23, 2014Admin

My name is Natasha Valani and I work in the Human Resources department at Terex Corporation. On behalf of Terex, I would like to apologize for your negative experience at our Grand Rapids facility ... More

Be careful what you wish for

I have been working at Terex full-time

Pros

Fair pay and mostly nice/intelligent people

Cons

Small company with big company problems. Growth through acquisitions has led to the use of far to many software platforms. Incompetent middle management and no sign of improvement in my department. Very much a live to work environment in accounting/tax, you don't get the same flexibility as others and most people seem OK with that. Lack of preparation for the on-boarding process, didn't really have work for the first few weeks. Corporate in general really struggles to keep quality people globally.

Some of the people in middle management positions clearly lack the leadership skills to manage others. Senior management should do a better job of compensating for this if they insist on employing such people.

Ambitious, but rubbish.

I have been working at Terex full-time

Pros

The business team provide a great number of training programs to use and implement into day-to-day processes. These training programs result in a vast knowledge of lean culture and theory which is highly sought after by other employers.

Cons

As an engineer is little incentive to work harder and improve yourself other than self drive. Terex attempts to standardize everything, including engineering roles and salaries. This results in a group of people with varying educational backgrounds, various career goals, and various work loads all getting compensated the exact same amount which in turn leads to an extremely high turnover rate for the more ambitious and demanding positions.

Pay people what they are worth.

Jul 24, 2014Admin

On behalf of Terex, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your opinion of Terex is important to us and we will share your comments with our Redmond leadership team ... More

Fast paced

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging fast paced work enviorment.

Cons

Seasonal, But they keep the productive team members, They need to practice what they teach.

Start a program and see it through, To many things get started then forgot.

A great experience

Former Employee - Human Resources in Düsseldorf (Germany)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Düsseldorf (Germany)

I worked at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring leaders at the very top, successful products, market- and customer-oriented culture, highly skilled and highly motivated workforce, good long-term growth perspectives for people, HR tools designed in U.S. headquarter are best-in-class.
    I have been working for Terex because my previous company was acquired by Terex, and I am happy to say that this journey has been a most worthwhile experience !

Cons

Nothing specific to tell here

Keep investing in the company's human capital which is what makes the difference. It does matter whether or not good people are being retained.

Jun 24, 2014Admin

First and foremost, Terex would like to thank you for your feedback. We are glad Terex has made a positive impact on your work experience. We value your opinion and the difference in people’s ... More

Mechanic

Current Employee - Mechanic in Stockton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Stockton, CA (US)

I have been working at Terex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work lined up.

Cons

Need to be mechanically inclined.

Treat employees like an asset. Not a number.

Great Company if you don't work at the wrong facility...

I worked at Terex

Pros

Many good people working for the Company.

Cons

They don't treat the people very well at the Grand Rapids, MN facility I am familiar with.

Start to do more than provide lip service to the idea that "people are your most valuable asset".

Jun 17, 2014Admin