The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance(in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired(in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete(in 27 reviews)

Great job if you like working hard with no appreciation

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

Prosextreme weight loss due to stress

Conscompany values, upper management, store organization, promotional opportunities, EVERYTHING

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a TERRIBLE company to work for. Stores are given very little payroll...so little that it is just 2 associates all day. Then the store is expected to handle constant floor changes and updates, price changes every other day, all while training new associates and handling rude customers with their unruly children running through the store destroying displays. There is ZERO opportunity for growth in the company. Upper level management hires incompetent store managers and then refuses to handle the situation when the store manager is not performing. Instead of owning up to the poor decision, the blame game comes into play and fingers are pointed at everyone but the cause of the problem. You will work your butt off day in and day out, work ridiculous hours and then get zero appreciation from upper management. During store visits, you will not get any complements, only a huge list of things that are wrong...that's if the visitors even acknowledge your unworthy presence. Corporate sets ridiculous goals for the company credit card and when your team actually does meet the goal, the next month is set even higher. Again, no "thank you for your hard work. you did a great job." Instead, it's just "more, more, more." My advice to management: try living off what you pay your employees and when you can't afford to take care of your families, then re-evaluate how you do business. Or better yet, just close up shop and jump off a cliff. Then again....corporate hasn't listened thus far, so this was actually just a waste of my time.

tcp ptsd.

Sales Lead (Former Employee) Lake George, NY (US)

Proscute babies smile at you sometimes and its a great environment for people who need to be doing something all the time. some of the clothes are really fashionable.

Consi literally had ptsd symptoms after working at this brainwashing consumer monster. i worked there for 9 months total.
    being an associate was great, work load was manageable, but i worked very hard to get a promotion and i was offered way less money than i deserved for all the work you really have to do as a sales lead, and no one had time to train me. i couldnt get hours, even as a keyholder. i worked in an outlet and so there were a lot of "vacationers" who were rude and never enough staff to deal w the amount of customers. poorly trained management and everyone bears the pressure from corporate to reach unrealistic sales and conversion goals. the worst part was the emphasis on the rewards program and place credit card, which we are pressured by management to use ruthless methods to obtain. so many girls would come in and work one day, and never show up again. policies are constantly changing and hard to keep up with. i was depended on way too much, even as an associate. and the music will literally make you crazy.

The Children's Place

Prosemployee discount, fun atmosphere quality products

Conslousy pay and very little hours

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun career, never a dull moment.

Store Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsManagement is open and honest

Consso little time to complete all tasks needed

Advice to Senior Managementmore hours needed to train the right people for their jobs, we stress the right person for the right place at the right time but if they don't walk into the store as that person....we can't invest in them right away without sacrificing time away from our customers

Store Sales Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsExcellent benefits and employee discount program. Flexible schedule and great team. Wonderful product with very little quality issues.

ConsVery little room for advancement once you are a Store Manager. Being a salaried employee leads to working many long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication and project timelines.

Great benifits and work enviornment

Production Manager (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ (US)

ProsGreat benifits and work environment, good people.

ConsThe lack of structure and leadership. Constant changes in policy and process.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team building and managment training.

No communication

Store Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

Prospay was better than most in retail, quality merchandise

ConsNo communication from upper mgmt, no real growth opportunity

Advice to Senior Managementstop running like a small company, you are not small,

The worst company to ever work for.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros-Deep discounts on merchandise
    -Actual job is easy

Cons-Poor upper management
    -Lack of recognition
    -No opportunity for personal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementThe quality of the work enviornment depends directly upon the management, which goes constantly unchecked. They hire store managers from outside of the company, who are untrained and ill-equipped to do their job, and then rely on assistant managers to fill in the gap. Meanwhile, assistant managers who have been with the company for years, and virtually run their stores, get constantly passed over for promotions and recieve no recognition. District managers are increasingly self-serving, withholding information from associates, and offering false information and hope on future promotions. They hire friends in important positions, that don't do their job, and usually don't last more than six months. In one year, my store went through over FOUR store managers. Their is no work-life balance with store managers demanding coverage for on-calls with less than ten minute notice, unbalanced scheduling, and setting unrealistic demands for the team. The management is EXTREMELY unproffessional, with the constant gossip of other associates and managers. Assistant managers do more than Store managers, for a fraction of the pay and recognition. Associates recieve no recognition for their hard work and are forced to sacrifice more than upper management.

Exhausting...

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPTO is bountiful, higher pay scale than most for management, great connections with awesome customers (both internal and external), great product!

ConsHigh expectations with small time frames (and little payroll of course), constant changes to floor sets and sale changes that make absolutely no sense, no sense of accomplishment due to never being "done", discount was great until the customer coupons started matching employee discount, selling a Citibank backed in-store credit card that offers very little incentive for the customer (5%...really?)

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out people! The company direction is going the wrong way...you need to build a structured communication system and stick with it. Nobody knows the "why" of what we are doing and that feels unstable and chaotic.

Store Sales Manager

Store Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team within my own location as well as a couple of my fellow SSM's.

ConsOutrageous expectations and absolutely no support to get the heavy workload completed. Unqualified upper management. Micro managing experienced, successful SSM's to the point of complete frustration. Pay is way below industry standard. No positive recognition...but there is plenty of time for negative recognition. You make company issued plans, work your tail off to beat them, only to have them set them higher and higher so there is no possible way for you to make bonus or have a successful review at the end of the year. You're told to get your store perfect for VP visit...do what it takes...only to be told AFTER the visit "No one should work 12 hour days for a visit prep, your stores should be that perfect all the time" no "thank you for the hard work"...nothing. Completely unmotivational.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're setting up your store management up for failure. Managers take their jobs seriously, work hard, give you good results and the only thanks is..."Now we want even more from you. Here are your new, out of reach goals" You will continue to lose great management, at a rapid rate, until you get this under control. Hire qualified leaders (District Managers) that actually know how to lead a team. Not "favorite" SSM's with no people skills.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!