The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance(in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired(in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete(in 27 reviews)

Love the people but...

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with great people

ConsOverloaded with price changes/visual moves
    No hours to get things done
    No hours to give to employees
    Corporate has unrealistic expectation within given time constraints.
    Employees get in trouble for not meeting credit app goals.
    Minimum wage pay with no benefits or bonuses
    Says customer always comes first but get upset when tasks are unfinished.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive stores more payroll during heavy pricing events or floor set changes. Once a store falls behind, it is extremely difficult to catch up with day to day tasks.

Horrible Co. and way of business

Sales Lead (Former Employee) Garland, TX (US)

ProsMet only one employee out of 12 workers that was really nice.Only pro of this co.

ConsWorking on time very micro managed and not enough time team leaders will not pick up where u left off.Dm of Dallas talks to u in a baby voice and his very rude doesnt speak to employee's only mgt.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll staff is of value. Support every employee and acknowledge them.And do not ask employee's to take pics of other stores for your project after dark and not clock them in for there after hrs work for you.RESPECT

At the time the company switched from a customer service focus to a more operational one.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was close to home, pay was decent.

ConsPayroll was extremely low, frequently just me and one other in the store, which made it difficult to perform managerial duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure what it is like there at this time, but employee morale and turnover was bad when i worked there, and as a manager it was difficult to make up for low pay, long hours and high expectations!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsOffers health insurance, two weeks of paid time off, 30% off everything including clearance, flexible schedules including up to two weekends off a month, and holiday pay.

ConsCompany cut their budget on payroll so we are working with only two people in the store at all times which means we don't get bathroom breaks or breaks at all; This also makes it easier for theft. Old registers and old technology which makes the selling and return process very slow. No process on training which leads to under performing management and staff. To many price points in the store which leads to confusion and frustration from the customers. Lots of time and money wasted on changing prices every Monday night, sometimes the price changes one cent. Money wasted on marketing for the window and signage on the sales floor, used for one week then tossed in the trash. Customer service is horrible due to the only two employees working are on the registers and nobody is on the sales floor. Keep in mind, the store is running with only two people in the store at one time so no extra hours are given for tasks including training.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate makes decisions that are not in the company's best interest, before making changes YOU should work in a store for thirty days before implementing the changes. Company should focus on customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction before before making poor decisions based on profit margins.

Unrealistic workload

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Rochester, NY (US)

ProsIf you have kids the discount is wonderful and the clothes are a good quality.

ConsLow wages, unrealistic workload to staffing ratio, not very good about promoting from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at work load to staffing management. It is understandable that you can't pay people if you aren't reaching sales goals. But at the same time, if you were proactive with adding more staff/hours at heavy shipment times it would increase sales because product would get to the floor faster increasing sales. It is near impossible to service customers at company standards and get other responsibilities accomplished without enough staff.

I have never seen a more disorganized company in my 26 year career!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Green, OR (US)

ProsLots of paid time off! My staff is full of great people and we are a strong team. There is a new challenge everyday that keeps the job from being boring.

ConsIn the average store you are given enough payroll to have 2 staff members in the store all day. With those 2 people you are asked to service every customer with a greet, talk about daily promos, hand out mesh shopping bags, tell them about rewards, tell them about the in house credit card and smile while the customer treats you like a dog and your store like a garbage pile. While you service every customer you need to be finishing freight(that we get everyday), setting new sale events (that change daily), set a new window(weekly), do markdowns(sent on Monday night around closing time due by Tuesday morning at open), scan every item to insure proper marketing is in place, set a floorset by Thursday only to update it by Friday because the visual department at corporate is full of incompetent people. And while we juggle all of that the rude customers can't understand why we are pissed when they let their children grab entire stacks of folded product and throw it in the air like confetti. Or why we can't take the time to price check every item they want us to one by one for thirty minutes straight. And God help us if we have a customer complaint about us locking our doors at closing time and not unlocking it for that customer that wants to come in at 10 minutes after closing time. Our superiors NEVER back us up even when we simply try to enforce the always changing policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it figured out before you send it to the stores. My Grandfather always said work smarter not harder. Unfortunately we need corporate to be smarter because we want to only do the work right the first time so we can move on to providing customer service. And if you can't figure it out let your store managers do what we know how to do! We are your greatest asset.... treat us ad such!

I really won't recommend the job to anyone it actually is too much and stresses me out .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is the best thing.

ConsNo one can ever cover for I'm the only one reliable at the job. DONT really get hours I have an Open availablity and don't get no hour I can do Floor set, register, stock, great recovery , great customer service and is always willing to work .but when the company don't give hours nothing can really be done & they claim they want to make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush Sales Associates way to much. Which Creates stress and upset & If associates are upset they will take it out on customers which creates customers complain. Job is too much to deal with and such little pay. Associates deal with Rude customer, Push them for place card , push to get customers to spend more money pushing reward program cleaning and recovering floor set being done trying to keep store neat.tooo much to handle .

High expectation job

ProsGreat people, and fun job

ConsCustomers are rude, pay is low, and the have unrealistic expectations for you job.

Nice staff, sucky hours

ProsCo workers and managers were relatively nice.

ConsHours sucked. Only about 4-8 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less people.

Columbia, MO mall

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Columbia, MO (US)

ProsGreat recognition for successes in the work place. Family-friendly environment. Good location. Fairly good prices.

ConsPush way too hard to sell credit cards. Not very friendly boss. Too many expectations from managers. Don't recommend students working there because too much will be expected

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a better way to offer credit cards. Don't expect too much out of students who are employed and are focusing on school. Don't talk down to your employees.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!