The Children's Place Reviews

Updated 24 April 2015
668 reviews filtered by

1. Unattainable results on a daily basis. Heavy workload. Stressed to the max.

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice PTO benefits for Store managers. Had stability in the position.

Cons

Heavy workload that seemed unattainable in between customers. Deadlines for floorsets couldn't be reached due to product never arriving on time. Payroll always a struggle- Expected to complete tasks but no payroll properly allotted. Poor pay for associates, only allowed to hire as minimum wage. The corporate atmosphere overtook in the last couple years from the family based atmosphere originally hired into.

SSM expected to work strenuous hours on a regular with no home balance. Stressful and tiring.

Advice to Management

Take advice from field associates on a regular basis opposed to the home office executives. Field associates take on the work load and seem over looked by headquarters.

Quickly quit

Former Employee - Key Holder/Lead
    Former Employee - Key Holder/Lead

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

30% discount
    Cute clothes for my kid
    A paycheck, not a hateful hourly starting point.
    There's really nothing fabulous about working for this company.

Cons

Management is miserable and talks trash about the company from day 1. Literally the first day I started, my store manager just bashed the company and the employees all at once. The only reason I continued to work there, was to maintain a paycheck until I could find another company who hopefully is a little more professional. Floor set are a nightmare and change every other day. Payroll and the schedule is a joke. I know retail isn't glamorous, but I have lots of experience prior to TCP and this was just plain terrible.

Advice to Management

Allow for more hours for a bigger staff to get floor moves done. Don't put so much pressure on your store management staff and make them hate coming to work for you.

3. It sucks; hardly any hours and favoritism to the max is displayed.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Only get good hours during training time

Cons

They don't distribute hours evenly. They play favoritism. It just sucks overall.

5. Cashier/Sells Rep

Former Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Glendale, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Glendale, WI (US)

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Fun environment. 20% discount ;)

Cons

pay may start at minimum wage

Advice to Management

it's easy to move up into management

6. Not a bad college gig

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Boss was friendly and always reasonable about my class schedule

Cons

Understaffed always nothing gets done and you always stay late

Advice to Management

Hire more people so work can actually get done

7. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Norristown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Norristown, PA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff education and trainings occurs on a regular basis. The staff is friendly and everybody gets along well. The work that I performed was helping homeless families and individuals secure and maintain housing. I enjoyed the work that I was doing. It is a great place to work at if you enjoy helping others.

Cons

The facility is small in comparison to other facilities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. A MESS!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees
    Management is helpful for the most pat

Cons

The Call-In schedule is THE worst unless you want to be overworked an insane amount of hours for a so-called part-time job. The managers like to give me a sob story to get me to come in for my on-call. If you want a part-time job with a set schedule and only want to work a few days a week for a few hours, this job is NOT for you.

-No official training-- I had to make lots of mistakes to learn what I was doing since I was completely new to retail.
    -A lot of stuff to remember.
    -The dress code is dumb.
    -The pay is awful, there was no negotiation above minimum wage. They didn't even ask like most places ask even if they can't/won't comply.
    -Too much work for minimum wage.
    -Favoritism over who gets to work the cash register. At my store they always put the lazier people at the cash register (which is unfair because it's easier than cleaning the entire store.)
    -Place Cards--nobody wants them!!

Advice to Management

Eliminate the Call-In schedule and give everyone set schedules every week and have only a few people as backups if anyone calls out last minute or if the store gets really busy.

9. Good starting job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, welcoming staff and management
    Good for first time retail position

Cons

Difficult to achieve expectations both in duties and sales quotas

10. Good for a college kid.

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great with my school schedule!

Cons

No regularity. Wish I had more benefits.

Advice to Management

I got really luck with my management team. They are really great!

Wasted several long years

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

-Good benefits/pto
    -They like to promote from within, (but only because they can pay you A LOT less than an external hire-max raise for a promotion is 20%)
    -Discount of 25%, 40% during associate appreciation
    -Sales Leads are guaranteed 20 hours a week, which was nice (although they didn't receive any benefits like pto)
    -Full time only had to work 30 hours a week; my SM rarely worked more than 40 hours-so really good work life balance
    -One weekend off a month for managers
    -Some freedom with visuals.
    -Flexible with sales associates' schedules. You could get a lot of hours during the holidays and the summer if you wanted them, but during off season, but it was more like 10 hours a week for associates-the hours had to go to the managers first, and whatever was left could be split among the associates. Good about working around school/work schedules

Cons

-They recently started hiring new associates at min wage to save money.
    -Payroll was a joke. The store had to be perfect at night to close, but we were in trouble if we stayed because we couldn't be over in payroll.
    -Call-in shifts. Most associates didn't stay long/turnover was really high-which was reflected in our raises.
    -SM seemed to spend a lot (most) of the time in store on the phone and in the back office
    -Training was a joke. I was supposed to have two weeks of training...I think I got 2 or 3 days.
    -Raises are only yearly and are based on how well the store is doing-if you didn't make your Place Card and sales goals, you aren't getting a raise. If you do get a raise, the most I ever saw anyone get was .25 cents.
    -I can't tell you how many times I had to set a sale-change EVERY sign in the ENTIRE store-only for it to be switched back 3 days later. They changed sales constantly-it was ridiculous and incredibly time consuming. Plus, there was no extra payroll for those nights, and we still had to have a perfect close and be out on time.
    -Shipment...oh shipment...some days we would get 20 boxes-that's manageable...some days we would get 120 boxes and then the next day get 50 more-we had no place to put them. We also got no payroll to get through the shipment-which meant we were working on the sales floor. "Tasking" on the sales floor? You can't do that! We were caught in a catch-22-no payroll for a shipment team to process boxes....but we weren't supposed to do it on the sales floor.
    -Allocation-please tell me why we got sent 5 size runs of something that IS NOT SELLING, but got sent no extra product of the stuff that the customers want. We would sell out of shorts in mid-July and customers would be mad and walk right back out of the store.
    -Conversion...oh my God that word still haunts me. Everything was about conversion. If you had bad conversion that day, you were going to get a phone call about it. I cringed when a customer would just stand by the door, or if a person came in and out of the store multiple times because the sensor would be them up, and your conversion wold look terrible, even if it really wasn't. And when you got the phone call, you couldn't use that excuse, you just had to say you weren't doing your job, or you should have greeted more...you better never say it was anything other than your own poor customer service
    -Place Cards-I hate Place Cards, hate them, hate them, hate them. You were supposed to get at least two apps per day, and boy were you in trouble if you weren't "driving Place Card applications"...my manager would write people up over not getting any
    -Rewards program-this was not that bad, EXCEPT that you had to ask customers for the rewards program, if they didn't have that you had to sign them up, if they didn't want to you had to ask for their email and phone number...after all that you have to ask about the credit card...if it was a large transaction, usually the customer didn't care...but they just wanted to buy a pair of sunglasses they would get very frustrated
    -There are supply freezes where you can't order any supplies-we ran out of bags more than a couple times.
    -If you got a customer complaint, you got written up-didn't matter if the associate did nothing wrong or not. If a customer complained, the manager had to do anything to make it right-extra coupons, highly discounted product, etc.
    -Some of the upper management was nice, some of them were just rude-cussing out my SM on the sales floor in front of customers and associates? That's incredibly unprofessional.
    -HR is a joke. Don't complain, it won't matter.

Advice to Management

I know it's retail and there are always going to be frustrating customers, a high workload, and odd work hours, but you can still make it a place people want to work. Maybe the incredibly high turnover for both associates and managers should tell you something.

The Children's Place Photos