The Children's Place

Updated 23 October 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 38 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discounts, friendly staff, clean, not over-staffed

Cons

Boring, low pay, not enough hours

Offer more incentives

Ridiculous

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Very very hard working associates

Cons

Run run far away from this place!!!!! Absolutely no payroll to support the workload. On 2/2 coverage continually, even during back to school and holiday,with 20, 30, 40+ cartons rolling in daily. Along with major flloorset monthly and visual moves weekly or more often, along with 2000 markdowns, pricing changes every couple days-I've never seen so many signs in a store in my life-window changes, redress the 40 mannequins. No hours for training. And remember to service every customer, give them the mesh bag you have to wear on your shoulder, get them to open a credit card, sign them up for the rewards program, ask them to take the online suevey=all of this while your freight sits unprocessed in the stockroom. These are all fine and dandy on paper, but REALLY, this expectation is not humanly possible. GET A CLUE TCP

I researched and read negative reveiws. It was all true. I noticed first in the interview when their honesty mimicked exactly what I read.

Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the store I worked in, the schedule was extremely flexible.

Cons

Although there was flexibility as far as the schedule, there was no hours to switch of call out for an emergency. How does that happen, you ask? Well my location would function on 169.00 hours. There was no time to do the work that needed to be done. As a manager you literally do it all. Paper work, shipment, clean, watch the floor, ring transactions, help customers, and babysit employees instead of mamage them. Most of this fine when there are more than one on one coverage. That's tight there's only two people in the store most of the time. And leaving the store to eat or do garbage are not possible without three people in the store.(unless done before hand). There are no benefits and the pay is ridiculously low. There are no hours for training and bad communication throughout shifts. No development to move in the company.

Stores outside of the malls need hours too. Training should be implemented to actually develop employees to grow. Management should manage not babysit employees. Pay should be raised.

No payroll and no time for a personal life.

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great district manager and great benefits. The customers are great for the most part. The quality of our product is really great considering how low the prices are. Really great trendy product for an exceptional price.

Cons

2/2 coverage almost all year. It's hard to squeeze in time for a bathroom break. The workload is ridiculous considering you have no payroll.

Listen to your store manager's feedback. We are in our stores everyday. We are living and breathing everything that you guys set in motion. Listen to our feedback and value it.
      Some of the cut backs are absolutely unreasonable. We aren't allowed to hire any part time sales associate at a wage higher than minimum wage! How can we get quality employees at that wage? You get what you pay for in most cases. Usually only minors are interested in a job once they hear we only pay minimum wage.

Ordinary

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not much growth within the company. Only perks employee discount

Cons

Not a very welcoming place

Engage people in activities to motivate the sales

Not the worst place to work

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent heath benefits and a Paid Time Off

Cons

The technology is outdated
    Product that is coming into stores is not seasonably appropriate (Example: 3-in-Jackets rolling into to Southern stores in early August)
    Visual communications from company are flawed at best
    Little payroll is going into the stores. Based on the ability of the corporate office to get things done for stores, I'm guess they are in the same boat.

Right now it feels like the company is saving for something special, like maybe a pony. The problem I have is, I don't know what the company is saving for. All I know from working in the store is I'm not getting technology that is equivalent to our competitors, repairs to my store in a timely manner (I have some major repairs that need to done but no one seems to care or have the power to do anything), the ability to call in an extra person when we are having a fantastic sales day, or wear now product. The company needs to tell us in the stores what we are saving money for. After walking into one of our competitors store yesterday and selling their product and sales support I'm sorry to say that I don't think we stand a chance.

They have a great Brand but

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers and their children are the best. The clothes are great quality

Cons

This company needs to get their act together, Floor sets are simple and well explained but the updates to the sets are overwhelming. You set the plan and they change it and then once you correct it they change it again. You have no payroll and you work 2 openers and 2 closers plus you must meet sales goals. Who has time to make all these crazy changes and they wonder why your customers services scores are low! They want all these tasks done but give you no support, oh we did get cookies one time and a note LMBO! Pretty lame!

Run as fast as you can this company talks about a Life Balance and give you great benefits but getting to use them is tough! Always to much to do and you can only use 5 days at a time! With permission!

Good place to get some work experience

Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team that surrounds you instantly becomes like a family. Depending on your store they usually work around your school schedule

Cons

Too much work for the pay that is offered. The company policies often lead to confrontations with the customers. Inconsistent hours, horrible pay.

Nothing

No work life

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

money is ok, and customers aren't to bad

Cons

You have to do everything

none

unrealistic work life balance

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

$ - money its good but you cant really enjoy

Cons

12-14 hr days, feel shamed for taking lunch or days off

manage normal working hours & dont depend on people staying all night to get work done

The Children's Place Photos