The Children's Place

Updated 15 December 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Typical Retail Job, But There Are Flaws...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee Relationships, Flexibility, Easy work

Cons

Forced to sell credit cards

The TCP culture is generally nice. However, it feels wrong to be forced to sell credit cards to people who clearly should not have them and offering a discount to get them to apply. In addition, I noticed that forecasting methods were way off- all the time. I think this is something that should really be looked into so individual stores can accurately plan their sales. I think it's time to test out another mathematical method of sales forecasting.

Used to be a great company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid time off. Paid time off. Paid time off...not that you'll be able to use it

Cons

To high of workload for the time allotted. Constant changes to visuals trying to sell more stuff, when all you really need are the people you have, that care about your customers, available to help and create an amazing customer experience. Leaders in upper management will lie to you, make you afraid of losing your job, to get you to give up everything else in your life to get the job done. No work/life balance, but that's what you signed up for, right? Terrible policies for the customers, that you have to smile and take whatever they derogatory feedback they determine is necessary, all the while you agree with them but can't do anything about. If you're considering a job here, please run as fast as you can in the other direction...it's not worth it.

Everything went downhill once Jane Elfers was brought in. Find new leadership and maybe you can salvage what's left of this terrible company that doesn't care about their people.

This company is terrible!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you get a good group of people to work for, it makes the job bearable. I had an absolutely wonderful manager and I loved her and the associates that I worked with were awesome. PTO was good.

Cons

Upper management is terrible. I was an ASM and my DM was seriously a succubus. LP didn't care about us and our complaints at all. We had customers who would steal things from other stores and come to our store and return the items for merchandise credits and we had such an awful return policy that we couldn't deny them even though we knew for a fact they had stolen the merchandise. We would complain and report the issue to LP and they never cared at all. The hours were terrible, the amount of work was seriously unrealistic and so were the sales expectations. The pay was also terrible. I was an ASM and my raise from Sales Lead to ASM was absolutely ridiculous. We were the lowest paid ASM's around. The credit card expectations are ridiculous as well. This job was emotionally draining and physically draining. The customers were horrendous and just completely drained me. I do not recommend working here at all.

Listen to your employees and don't set unrealistic goals.

Good morale

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Del Rio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Del Rio, TX (US)

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun coworkers
    Friendly manager
    Flexible
    Friendly customers

Cons

Not enough hours
    Too many tasks at once
    Don't get properly trained

Offer more hours for people that want/need them badly
    Train new employees properly and don't just expect them to know how to do everything right away

Awesome internship!

Former Employee - Intern in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at The Children's Place as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great internship program, very organized, good exposure to all departments. Interns get to participate in summer Fridays and have the opportunity to work together on a project that is presented to the CEO and Senior Leadership Team

Cons

No cons in the internship program!

Hire interns for the fall and spring as well!

Really Enjoyed working here it! It was a great start up job!

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Lafayette, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Lafayette, IN (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Room to grow, and get into different aspects of retail.

Cons

The management didnt stay long, Floated in an out

Better pay

Must be immune to stress.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Fast-paced environment, no "down time", diverse and interesting applicant pool. Music is okay, but can get annoying at times.

Cons

Constantly changing rules/ procedures, we almost always receive directions on a project after it is due. Sending instructions that make no sense/ have no discernable way to execute them without extensive planning (which isn't part of store level's job) Store managers are stressed by how little hours they get to staff their store and get a million+ things done every day. information that always changes offers no updates; it's up to managers to remember to check for updated info (like we're expected to know what we don't know) upper field management doesn't always come from a store (not promoted from within), so they don't really understand the issues we have with certain things, even after we explain why it is we can't or shouldn't do something.

Spend more time in your stores helping your management staff! Roll up your sleeves and sort shipment, or help execute a floor set. Showing us rather than telling us is the best way we can all benefit.

HORRIBLE

Former Employee - Production Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and lots of holidays

Cons

Terrible work/life balance. The company sucks the life out its employees

Listen to your employees

No room for growth.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very busy work place. No training at all they just through you out on the sales floor.

Cons

Management does not care about her employes
    Low raises and pay
    Not organized
    Have to make deposits at the bank and you do not get paid milage
    No HOURS to give

CARE about employes and dont lie to people!!!

A lot of work, in a little time frame

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off and that's it

Cons

They do a lot of merchandise updates and markdowns all Tuesdays with no additional hrs and we are one on one on the sales floor. The company need to plan better to no affect the business. The hrs are very pathetic you can run a store for 180 hrs to do everything floorset,markdowns, updates and "customer service". We don't have time for the customer we need to be more tasking with those hrs you don't have time for them.

DM are not prepare he is learning at the moment and you don't see a leader in him.

The Children's Place Photos