The Children's Place Reviews

Updated 17 April 2015
662 reviews filtered by

1. Kins Plaza Children"s Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Managers are very friendly and helpful

Cons

Not many hours after holidays, somewhat of favoritism when it comes to employees, rude customers, stealing

Advice to Management

Randomly review the stores without them knowing so you can get a better look on what goes on daily.

2. Neutral

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Employee discount and health benefits as a manager

Cons

management training doesn't happen. THey expect you to learn as you go

3. Great company to work for!

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, and development opportunities.

Cons

Improved work and home balanced desired.

Advice to Management

Bring more flexibility when it comes to home/work balance.

Not the greatest place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generous pto time. Although you never have an opportunity to use it.

Cons

Stores operate on minimal payroll almost all year. Occasionally extra payroll is given for things like clean sweep or writing reviews but nothing is allocated for setting a floorset or processing high amounts of freight. This seems very backwards to me. I've been in retail management along time and most companies want to make sure what the customers see and experience is #1 priority when it comes to payroll. Usually we are expected to set a new floorset, change the window, set all new marketing, change every mannequin, and process the freight for the floorset with only 2 people working and all while the store is open for business. Us tearing apart a wall is not what our customers want to experience! And God help us if a customer complains because we didn't give them enough attention while we were "multitasking" our butt off! And THERE IS NEVER PAYROLL TO TRAIN NEW PEOPLE! And photo reviews are a freakin joke. Floorset is done? Nope reset all the walls because those mannequins need to be an inch higher. Be prepared to bring your own toilet paper at least a couple of times a year because supply order freezes include not ordering tp!

Advice to Management

STOP CHASING YOUR TAILS! Get a clue about the reality of running a store that is open 72 hours a week on 165 hours of payroll. We showed you we could do it because most of us a scared of losing our job if we don't hit your ridiculous deadlines. Oh and if your going to trust managers with over a $1 million a year in sales and a set of keys to your store maybe you should trust us to set a floorset without sending a ton of photos to prove we know how to set a perfect floorset when every store is a different size and shape. The customers don't give a damn if the mannequin is 38 inches high or 39 inches. These kinds of details are a waste of our limited payroll. Jane, go spend 1 week in an average volume store during floorset and you don't get to pull the ceo card. Wear comfy shoes and get your hands dirty! Bet you allocate more payroll after 1 week of floorset hell!

Rightfully voted one of the worst to work for by glassdoor.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Employee discounts and summer fridays.

Cons

Culture keeps you edgy, high attrition rate, career progress minimal and very hard to balance work life.

Advice to Management

Devise ways and policies to retain talent. Having a longer horizon vs short term thinking maybe a start.

7. analyst

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than a year)

Pros

was not a very difficult comute

Cons

the organizational environment and culture does now allow for growth and developement

Great place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Waterford, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Waterford, MI (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company prefers to promote from within. Flexible scheduling for part time associates to allow for other employment if desired.

Cons

Constant updates to floorset would be my only con. Payroll is not always generous however this is the case in retail in general.

Neutral "OK"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of PTO & sick time available, overall good benefits.

Cons

Company likes to find ways to "cut corners" financially whether it be---not donating to ANY causes or promoting the company whatsoever, not renting a space on the shopping center marquee to advertise to those passing by that the store is even there, lowering associate pay to minimum wage, giving 20 cent (if any at all) yearly raises to store leads, etc. Then they will punish store workers for not making yearly goals when the company has put literally all of the odds against you.
    Company can MOVE you to another location if they choose & you have little to no say in it.

Advice to Management

Better associate pay leads to better candidates for hire as well as more dedicated workers, less call outs, less people quitting for higher paying jobs, etc.
    Floor sets & updates are not relevant based on items that have moved to "sale" or are no longer in the store. Confuses associates & leaves them to decide what to put in place of incorrect items shown on floor sets.

10. Good pay but unrealistic expectations

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great products, great sales, always new product.

Cons

Over worked, under appreciated. Not a smooth working machine. All the issues are with corporate. No traing and no time for it.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

Bar set low...

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Secaucus, NJ (US)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free parking, company events to try and build moral/spirit, nice coworkers, benefits are good, good discount on kids clothes. This company doesn't pinch pennies the way that some other companies do.

Cons

In general you are not working with the best of the best. There are exceptions, but mostly not. Management does not know how to delegate and develop people, so very hard to get more responsibility because they have been let down before by mediocre employees and because no one has taught them how to lead. A manager at The Childrens Place is like a mediocre analyst at another retailer. Lots of up-titling.

A lot of consultants running around sucking the place dry (sucking money and opportunity for employees.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming your location on your inability to recruit good people. Take a look at your reviews by corporate employees here and take accountability for your actions.

The Children's Place Photos