The Hartford

The Hartford Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift

Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed(in 53 reviews)

• Work from home option can be available after a year or two also(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work/life balance in Finance with very limited career advancement opportunities(in 29 reviews)

• It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years(in 17 reviews)

A company that has so much potential and is willing to work for it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsI like the opportunities to make an impact on the organization by fostering change and efficiency. I have a great work-life balance with amazing benefits of a company gym and other perks. The bonuses have been getting back to their high levels and the management it really working together for our long-term future success.

ConsThere are still a few old school middle managers that are holding us back with their obsession on heirarchy and "years" spent at the company versus the value someone can add and what new opportunities can bring. The good news is management is aware and is working to weed out the change resistors.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your middle managers and the value they add. Are they stiffling their staff? Are they fostering growth and developing their teams? Are they overly focused on their silohs?

It's about who you know

ProsLocation, hours, stability, job security, people

Conslack of advancement, no perks,

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on advancing the new hires and try giving attention to those who have been with the company trying to advance.

Average Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed. OK benefits, flexible hours

Constoo much politics, outsourcing essential services and degrading quality of service,

Advice to Senior Managementreward the right people, communicate, communicate

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started out wonderful, went south in the past few years

Senior Research Consultant (Former Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsUsed to be - the people. The department I worked in was full of wonderful people who came to care about each other.
    Work/life balance was pretty good and became better as technology advanced. Being able to work from home on foul weather days was much better than having to choose between a dangerous commute and spending a vacation day.
    Pay was good, but collapsing from "grade level" structure to "tier" structure made for fewer steps in the career progression; I preferred being able to take small steps more often instead of rare big steps.

ConsAlmost no formal training - and as budgets were tightened, access to training became even worse
    Massive off-shoring of IT functions. Layoffs of entire departments, loss of massive amounts of institutional knowledge.
    Do they really think we're stupid enough to believe that an increased company contribution to our 401(k) makes up for eliminating the pension plan?
    Could never understand why they hired a CEO with absolutely no insurance experience. Work environment started deteriorating after Liam McGee came onboard. Don't know what this new guy Swift will do with the company - they laid me off too...

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are dealing with people in their hour of need. We are not making widgets. You cannot standardize or "lean" everything in this business.
    Your employees are human beings, too, not machines. Walk the walk regarding "inclusion and diversity" - make it mean more than just skin color and sexual orientation.

Great company to work for

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities for personal growth, good employee benefits, supportive co-workers. Also, a great place to have a career and develop career further. Very good sales model that is effective and proven. Training program very structured and built for success. Structure of training program led to success in receiving state licenses.

ConsDifficult hours, hard to maintain work-life balance. Great experience overall, but often sacrificed after work hours to get work completed. Company experienced recent down-sizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company values. Very motivational! Solid structure that motivates employee base.

Career growth if you work hard

ProsThe people are great and really care about the customers.

ConsCall center metrics can be a challenged. Staffing currently is an issue to find qualified people to do job.

Started out great, financial crisis sent company into spin

Director (Former Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsEthical teams, hard working want the right things. Much complexity that is never reduced

Conswork life balance is difficult.

Great place to work for a call center type job

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsGreat vacation time and benefits! Great employees! You learn a lot about insurance. Incentives available. Work from home is an option so great work-life balance.

ConsCall center metrixs can be a challenge. System problems happen a lot. Training could be better. Productivity is top priority over customer satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should go back to putting customers first. Fix your system issues and set realistic metrixs so your reps do not feel like they have to rush everyone off the phone.

Was once a decent place to work...hope things turn around.

ProsThe paycheck and some of the benefits. Some good people, but even those seem to be flying out the door more and more, which is really a infinite con.

ConsLeadership that doesn't seem to know what they want to do. Historic management that clearly didn't know what they were doing. Employees that don't seem to have the tools or the skills to compete in the marketplace. Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases. Doesn't have the clout it thinks it has. Musical chairs of employees and management. Your traditional corporate politics company, its everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurge more of the old guard, from top to bottom.

Customer Service Rep

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsGood time off, people are great

ConsMicro managememt to it's most psychotic level. Used to be a phenomenal company. Then they hired horrible sr. management. Bathroom breaks are timed, if it takes you more than 5 minutes to start your competer in the mornings you'll have a manager asking you what's taking so long. Don't ever be caught talking to another employee cause they'll get on to you for that as well. The stress level is so high it's not uncommon to see paramedics escorting people out due to mental breakdowns, heart attacks. IT was recently outsourced overseas so you have a computer problem you have to speak to someone in India that can't understand you and you can't understand them. Meanwhile your manager is upset with you that it's taking so long. You can't even go to your manager to ask a question, you have to ask through a chatroom while talking to the customer. Because calling the customer back hurts your metrics, but if the customer calls back it hurts your metrics as well. Morale is pathetic and management doesn't care. They go through reps like toilet paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking pay and benefits away from the people that have salaries below the poverty line, and then give the CEO a $4 million dollar raise. Doesn't set to well with your employees.

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!