The Lockton Companies

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Lockton Companies CEO and President John L. Lumelleau

John L. Lumelleau

Pros:
  • "Good hours, people, work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Office culture is great, no micromanaging (at least from what I have experienced)"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "This all creates a poor work / life balance and anything from a 40-45 hour week sometimes even more is the norm for many"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Low salary compared to competitors and other insurance companies"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work for

Account Administrator (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros- provide training
- promote from within
- regular reviews/pay increases
- great company culture

Working for this company has been a great experience. Even with no prior experience in commercial insurance, Lockton not only trains their employees but they also cover the cost of classes related to insurance designations through the Institutes, as well as providing their own continuing education classes.

Office culture is great, no micromanaging (at least from what I have experienced). Beer Fridays every week where employees are encouraged to relax and socialize. Competitive benefits and no problems getting time off. The Denver office has around 300 employees and turnover rate is fairly low. If anything, they are growing rapidly.

ConsLearning the internal systems can be challenging, but associates are more than willing to help.

Good old boys club, women only go so far, lots of lip service.

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsGrowing company. Many great people work here and they are willing to help and share with the new employee. Lots of opportunities to get involved with charitable organizations. Fun Plaza location. Lots of industry knowledge housed in the building.

ConsThere is an extreme attitude of entitlement and nepotism regardless of the amount of value or lack thereof a person contributes. Good people find a way to "work around" those who aren't. Much of the leadership knows the dysfunction but does not want to discuss it and certainly does nothing to change it, preferring to "manage" around it by ignoring it rather than confront it. They want to compete with the largest brokers but struggle with execution of strategies due to lack of inclusiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace and value the contributions women bring to leadership instead of fearing it. Use 360 reviews and make meaningful changes. Don't believe the "Best place to work" hype. Have some evocative conversations with high performing individual contributors if you can find anyone willing to speak up.

Work here if you wish to mortgage your life for your job.

Assistant Account Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is opportunity for growth but only if your practice leader has the vision for it. In the two years I was there, no one was handed a promotion unless they had the political push needed. Beer and soda is free, but that is hardly a perk for a job that often requires long hours. They have a 6% match on the 401k and you are immediately vested, and there happens to be some employer funding of the health savings account. Technologically they are backward, so if you do not like anything beyond rudimentary excel, you will be just A OK.

ConsLockton Companies are islands, in that the individual offices are disconnected from each other. And furthermore, each island has departments that are islands. Thus, mismanagement of one department does not spread to the others or to other offices. The private ownership of Lockton causes this company to operate in a unique manner. It houses some incredibly talented individuals in their head office and some other locations while also housing absolute idiots in some other offices. Often, idiots and geniuses work together, and often one reports to the other (and often it is the genius reporting to the idiot). Therefore, the opportunity to grow can be limited in one department and not so limited in another. Unless you find yourself working for good people who dont engage in extremely hurtful office politics, prepare for a short career.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify those who are an ill asset to the workplace and be prepared to make the bold decision to eject them for the greater good. And for pete's sake please hire some intelligent people.

Great place to work.

Account Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployee bonuses, Reasonably priced health care, Fun employee activities, Cares about the community and charities, Excellent Christmas Party

ConsLocated on the Country Club Plaza, which is not easily accessible from major highways and can be busy during holidays, spring break, and the art fair.

Great place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture, challenging career, opportunity for promotion, wonderful coworkers and mentors. Can't say enough good about this place.

ConsThe one and only con: compensation is pretty low. Talented people often leave Lockton for jobs where they are adequately compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay associates what they are worth in effort to attract and keep the best talent.

Work hard, play hard party boys

Account Administrator (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLockton offers great training, and brings employee professionalism and service skills up a notch or 2 or 3. While the departmental demeanor/personality may vary, there is definitely a "work hard, play hard" ethic. It offers great opportunities to some. A great place to start straight out of college.

ConsWhile opportunities are offered to some, there is a somewhat conspicuous and inappropriate nature to whom they are afforded. They seem to prefer those who have the time to "play hard" - i.e. the young, unmarried, without family commitments. And people able to accept entry-level pay. I suppose many companies do so, but not so conspicuously.

Collections

Client Receivables Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to work, with lots of benefits. Good to their employees and flexible working hours

ConsPay is a little on the low side

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to promote within the company

Great group of people to work with, but long hours.

Risk Analyst (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsBeer Fridays, cab vouchers, culture, easy to move up or to a different department

ConsIt is expected of you to work long hours or take work home to get everything done. The pay is slightly less than comparable companies.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people

Great for starting out your career

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUpward mobility is fairly attainable

ConsLacks diversity, not interested in women in leadership and there is no development program for aspiring leaders. salaries are lower than competitors, management is slow to make changes to offerings that can help customers

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the first 3cons

Growing company with an incredible culture, great people, and defined pathways to success

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Lockton Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat culture, private ownership, fun/balanced work environment, great learning opportunities

ConsSlow compensation increases for younger, internally developed talent - employees often leave and return to get deserved value

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove identification of talent and provide compensation rather than waiting for the threat of departure to adequately compensate employees

Worked for The Lockton Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Lockton Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for The Lockton Companies CEO John L. Lumelleau. All 72 reviews are posted anonymously by The Lockton Companies employees.