The Standard Reviews

117 reviews filtered by
2.4
The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Pros
  • Great location in downtown Portland (in 14 reviews)

• Good people, good benefits, fair location (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Of course, upper management received healthy salary increases while non-management salaries stagnated (in 8 reviews)

• The news that layoffs were coming in favor of outsourcing to India was announced by the IT VP a few months ago (in 4 reviews)

It's Time To Get Out!

Current Employee - Employee Benefits in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Employee Benefits in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule when needed. Summer hours, but only if you're an exempt employee. Some great co-workers. Community involvement.

Cons

Managers and supervisors are promoted to be "yes" people, not based on skills, knowledge, or experience. Managers ask for input and suggestions for improvement, but it's best to keep quiet and go along or you're likely to be labeled as a problem employee. Management as a whole is short-sighted, very insular, and lacks any vision at all. PAPER, PAPER, PAPER! Larger competitors are virtually electronic, yet we wallow away in paper files, many filled with deteriorating onion and thermal paper. A LOT of people spend more time trying to get out of doing a task, then it would it would take to just do it. Training, unless it's mandatory training (e.g., fraud, privacy) you're pretty much on your own. New employees are left to wade through manual after manual with little direction and expected to remember it all when they are set free to do their job. Natural attrition and layoffs have led to increased workloads, longer hours and burnout. A relatively small company in a relatively small town makes nepotism/cronyism rampant. New compensation program negatively impacts the majority of employees and there are no words for the way the CEO communicated it to employees.

Advice to Management

Tenure, historic knowledge, and continuity are important, but this company desperately needs an influx of new blood with "real world" experience. From the very top down to directors to individual team managers/supervisors there are too many who have only worked for The Standard. Open the wallet, bring the IT systems into the 21st century. Let ALL of the employees share in the success of the company, not just the executive staff. Send Greg Ness to communication and sensitivity training. This used to be a great place to work, not so much in the past few years. Sadly I don't see it changing for the better anytime soon...You (The Management) have the power to change it!

2. I have had an overall good experience with The Standard.

I have been working at The Standard

Pros

-Great co-workers
    -Good training and class offerings
    -Decent Benefits

Cons

-Feel undervalued
    -Management is not up to par
    -Not easy to make movements within the company

Appreciation of tenured employees has gone out the window

Former Employee - Policy Services in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Policy Services in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at The Standard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly great people to work with.

Cons

Not so great to work for anymore

Advice to Management

None that would taken seriously

LTD Ananlyst

I worked at The Standard

Pros

In the last couple years I worked for a great supervisor who knew that employees are the foundation of the company.

Cons

Too numerous to mention. I discovered that Greg Ness told the employees that cost of living doesn't exist so no COLA increase and only small increases for those rated exceeds expectations. Of course its very hard to get that rating. Mr. Ness told the employees that perhaps they should just budget better by eating top ramen instead of steak. This while earning 8 million a year and huge bonuses.........Do you want to work for this employer? Good luck

Advice to Management

Standard sells customer service and products administered by people. the employees......So get a clue......stop rating employees like a necessary evil.

6. Just okay

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to move up quickly
    Compensation
    PTO Policy
    Benefits

Cons

Ever-changing company initiatives
    Values are followed for customers, but not employees

7. It won't let me give negative stars

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at The Standard as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was fantastic. They put on a good front and really drew you into the company making it seem like they should be in Forbes 100 top companies to work.

Cons

The interview process was a facade. They lied! Worst employer I've ever worked for. They openly discriminate against people with disabilities which is sad since those are a great number of their clients. They even reduced the discrimination to writing and asked me not to talk about my disability. If that's the way they treat their employees with disabilities then how do they treat their clients? I was given no direction and left to decide for myself what I should do with my day. I read a book to prepare for a certification at the request of management for two weeks. I repeatedly asked for more work and was told it would get better only to be let go under the facade that I just didn't fit in. They lied when investigated for discrimination and never produced any documentation to prove their reason for ending my contract. The place is toxic and I would avoid it at all costs.

Advice to Management

Know what your managers below you are doing to their subordinates before it costs you in court. Learn to treat people with dignity and respect.

Systems Analyst

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at The Standard as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Needed the work and got paid

Cons

Wasn't impressed with the culture or how I was managed while at this company. I didn't find many people who understood the company's industry, why I was hired to help them, their systems are laughably outdated (like, 25 years out of date!), and the managers were downright awful. No technical skills whatsoever. Rarely had answers to even simple questions. Standard is not a place I'd want to work as a full time employee. I was very happy to get my next assignment outside Standard.

Advice to Management

Direction: get some. Training: give your employees some. Culture: get some, it would help your poor employees so much to be part of a company they can be proud of

No vision, opinions not valued, CEO out of touch, low morale, HR clueless

Current Employee - BSA in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - BSA in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees who work at Standard are hard working and they care about doing the best job possible for the customers.

Cons

All decisions made by the CEO are based on the bottom line, money. What the stockholders want they get. The CEO makes sure of that. Even if that means eliminating employees and benefits. HR makes all of their decisions based on the policies and procedures that have been firmly put into place to protect, not the employees but The Standard, in the event of a possible law suit. Engagement surveys are sent to employees to share opinions and suggestions however the decisions regarding changes have already been decided by the CEO and the stockholders so the surveys are worthless and a waste of time. The repeated theme to employees has been, "If you don't like your job or you are unhappy, you can leave and work somewhere else." Opinions are asked not to make improvements but to see which employees share the same opinions of upper management and stockholders. If you don't share the same opinions, they will find a way to eliminate your job. No opportunities for advancement. You can get an exceeds on a performance review and still not get a raise. HR management is especially uncaring and distant. Bordering on elitist.

Advice to Management

1) Next time the CEO speaks at a all employees forum he needs to not swear and use fowl language 2) When a question is asked at the meetings, don't lose your temper and respond by making insensitive remarks that alienate yourself from employees 3) Realize that eliminating employees is not the solution to making revenue goals 4) When you bring in a million dollar system, make sure that it works and that you have competent individuals to roll out the systems with adequate training 5) When HR eliminates jobs, make sure that they have their story straight as to why they were let go. (No skills, didn't share the vision of HR, etc.) 6) When you make a major change or decision, discuss it first with the employees to see what they think 7) When you communicate a major change, don't do it in a sneaky way by quietly putting the announcement in a news story 8) If you have already made a decision, don't send out a survey asking what the employees would like 9) Most importantly realize that the employees who work at Standard are working as hard as they can and they really want to do a good job. Some of these employees are living from paycheck to paycheck so paid time off and cost of living and pay increases are important to them. They are making choices everyday that affect theirs and their family lives so telling them to get another job if they don't like it, is not an option. They are doing the very best that they can.

10. Great forward moving IT organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Momentum is building for some great IT transformations. If you perform well you get rewarded. New leadership in the business is really helping drive positive change. The IT team works well together. Much more collaboration between applications teams and infrastructure teams than at most companies. Very good work/life flexibility in both hours and location.

Cons

Some parts of outsourcing still need some work. That limits what some IT folks can focus on.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in IT and transformation. Keep the smart people in IT motivated to innovate.

Toxic - don't go there unless your other option is the bread line!

I have been working at The Standard

Pros

There are some great people there....one just has to spend time looking for them!

Cons

Toxic work environment. Complete disrespect for the employees, focus on the bottom-line drives all decisions, and an antagonistic work environment.

The Standard Photos