Theory

Andrew Rosen

From Small, Growing Company to Corporate Control

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Theory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Product is exceptional
-Passionate People
-Clothing Allowance
-Discount
- Beautiful Stores

Cons-Moving to a more corporate atmosphere
-Uniforms recently implemented; forced to wear improper fitting clothes with no aid for tailor/dry cleaning
-Went from consistent corporate communication/feedback to little to none amidst multiple changes
-Not enough people working on Visual and Marketing team to support stores
-Not enough staff to support the operations/sales balance
-Over-extending management by under-staffing stores; managers working over 10+hours consistently because they don't have adequate coverage

Advice to Senior ManagementMany understand the need to move to a more "corporate" atmosphere to grow the business. Those who arrived a few years ago are used to a company that operated under a "family owned" feeling; managers ideas were encouraged and supported; staff was allowed to be creative to sell the product; we had touch-bases with higher level executives to discuss the state of business at each quarter. We've now moved into a business where no voices are truly being heard; bandages are being placed over poorly made decisions with minimal planning; staff is frustrated at the lack of acknowledgement for their successes; follow-up to the ideas being asked for is non-existent; Many are trying to roll with the punches but patience is wearing thin. You can't change the culture overnight and not expect the amount of people who are running not to run. People have put in their time and are being overlooked. Upper management is constantly stressed and on edge, taking out their frustrations on staff. Listen to your people. The reason theory staff was always so passionate was because they felt they had a voice, they felt the staff above actually cared about the people in their stores. The introduction of a new President started out hopeful, but has instead left many jilted and feeling like we've reverted back to a bunch of people here to fold clothes and ring a register. The draw of working for Theorywas that it used to offer more than a typical retail job. It was a lifestyle, a passion, something we all wanted everyone to love as much as we did. Now it's just a paycheck.

Great nurturing environment.

I worked at Theory as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat brand concept, clear design direction.

ConsRare full time job opportunities.

Intern

I worked at Theory as an intern for less than a year

Pros1. fashion the company suggests to the public is the ambiance found within the business

Cons1. has become highly corporate so there is not much room for growth

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Great brand but too political, don't invest in/develop employees

I worked at Theory full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat brand and nice discount

ConsSalary, doesn't care about employee development, senior management is always stressed out

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in developing employees and strive for a more positive environment with less stress since it filters down.

a challenge brining in a company from the states to london and creating a clientle and profit

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Theory

Proshappy environment, relaxed and at times fun

Consbudgets each year increase by 30% making it unachievable, no pay rises or advancement or growth

Advice to Senior Managementgreat support, not enough training, advancement and broken promises

Worked for Theory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Theory reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Theory CEO Andrew Rosen. All 5 reviews are posted anonymously by Theory employees.