Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros
  • I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (there is none) - Long hours/weekend work(in 40 reviews)

• No work life balance during peak seasons(in 8 reviews)

Best job I've ever had!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsThe leadership in the office is very supportive and wonderful to work with, there is great work life balance, the culture in the office is positive and there are some amazing people to work with. They are always finding things to encourage employees like bocce ball tournaments and team building events. They also provide free soda, juice, coffee, water and more often than not there are leftovers from some meeting.

ConsHaving IT offshore is one of the biggest cons. It's very frustrating when you need IT needs. There are also limited opportunities for advancement.

OK Company after the merge...

Technical Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsWork from home allowed.
    Flexible with life and work schedule.
    Lots of branch offices in the U.S. and can transfer.

ConsAfter merge with Perrin, it became too corporate.
    Top Heavy
    Too cheap with training and no room to move
    Too high of medical out of expense

Satisfactory but not challenging

Investment Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGood colleagues and working environment. This is very important because you are able to ask senior people for advice and stressful moments are infrequent. Competitive basic package.

ConsRigid structures mean that the job can be very monotonous. Also there are very little performance rewards/penalties to differentiate in employee performance.
    Structure seems top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make more effort to be offering varied, challenging work to junior employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok

ProsPension plan to go along with 401k

Conslow pay and promotions are done by years of experience and not skill level

Good company, not very up to speed on technology

IT Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsBenefits are good. There are very little management training offered to the managers.

ConsThe roles are not well defined in the organization. Managers need to develop their skills in management.

Little interest in people. Good expertise in HR

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsIf you're a young professional or a very seasoned one, TW could be a good place for you: as a new recruit, you'll learn a lot. As a director, you'll earn a lot.

ConsFor anybody in the middle of the TW food chain, life is not easy. As a consultant or Senior consultant, your targets will be very demanding and recognition quite limited.
    Furthermore, as we saw in recent months, when the going gets tough, consultants are asked to go. I've never seen a practice leader be asked to leave when his/her practice did poorly. In these cases, TW will get rid of some people in the practice to re-balance the p&l.
    No focus on people in this company, it's all about pleasing the shareholders.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider that sometimes when things don't go well you are the problem as much as - or more than - your employees.
    Cutting costs is short-term, shortsighted solution, that's not going to do any good to your employees.

A lot of smart people

TWIS (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsSmart hard working people interested in servicing clients.

ConsAttitudes ingrained in the TW way. Don't want to consider other ideas- it should be done this way.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch the politics. The old guard knows how to work the system. Try to pay attention to some of that- it may be clouding the influencing workplace environment.

I enjoy working for Towers Watson

ProsProfessional, respectful, good values, good career

ConsI don't have anything negative to say

Work hard play hard

ProsPeople are incredible to work with and very knowledgeable in their skill set
    If you want something, go after it. Make a business case and go after it!
    Many of the leaders have grown up from the business.
    High performing organization, challenge you day after day.
    You get to work with the top companies in the world.
    Tenure is high due to the incredible culture

ConsDemanding work. Project based work that demands from you highly during critical periods of the project.
    You think you are high performing? Everyone is here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Growing and challenging associates day after day

Great overall. Work-Life balance could be improved

Retirement Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) Manila, Manila (Philippines)

ProsAbove average compensation, Great company and leadership, excellent work environment

Conswork-life balance needs major improvements

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!