Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros:
  • "I like that they focus a lot on employee health and work/ life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Smart professionals, great working environment and work/life balance"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "tight /strict deadlines, work life balance can be compromised"
    in 33 reviews
  • "No work life balance during peak seasons"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

very rewarding experience

Data Analyst Internship (Current Employee)
Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at Towers Watson as an intern for less than a year

ProsI really learn a lot through the internship experience. no only with the data analysis but also get involved in different projects.

ConsMaybe the work is a little challenging at the beginning but it is worth it. I really like the experience and helps me a lot!

Amazing people, great diverse experiences

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

Proswork flexibility, travel opportunities, great senior leaders, international company, great colleagues

Constight /strict deadlines, work life balance can be compromised

Bloomington, MN (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible hours, still has a pension plan, and company is growing. Everyone that I work with is very knowledgable and very helpful.

ConsHigh stress at times since I work on many clients. Low pay for the amount of hours and stress you put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your current employee and reward those that deserve it.

A wild ride

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

ProsThere is a lot to be proud of in TW. There is truly an intense focus on doing what's best for clients and there is a lot of opportunity to grow for people who are very bright and self-motivated.

ConsWe have gotten very big and it can be difficult to stay connected with colleagues. Account Directors have so many different services to understand they can sometimes oversimplify our offerings to clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on what associates really care about - the opportunity to do great work and have an impact on clients

Great place to work!

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery team oriented. The teams you work with are the best of the best which makes it easy to learn. Definitely a place to have a "career".

ConsCan be a bit "corporate" where things often become segmented and silo'd. Plenty to do at all times.

Good experience

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople are great, good experience, support for on-the-job training as well as exams (actuarial), "family feel", pay is reasonable

ConsStressful with workload and hours

Great place to start a career

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

Pros- Compensation was above-average
- Training opportunities were excellent
- Ability to work on the most prestigious, complex clients on a daily basis
- Exposure to the world of consulting is something that is applicable to just about any path you wish to pursue
- Very flexible work schedule
- Ability to work from home when needed

Cons- Too much emphasis on billable hours; hours targets are unrealistic unless you continue to work outside the office and on weekends
- Spend too much time putting out fires and not enough time concentrating on the task at hand
- Bonus opportunities are lacking... not much of an incentive to put in additional hours after you hit your hours target because there's very little upside opportunity
- It's a bit of an "old boy's club" - most of the good opportunities and promotions seem to go to the favorites rather than the most dedicated and hard-working.

Advice to Senior Management- Absolutely need more advancement opportunities. Promotions only come when there's a need for it and seem to go to the favorites, and the company has (at least for lower level employees) a reputation for being a great place to start a career but not a great place to build a career. If you're not on the fast-track, the only way to move up is to move out.
- Need to judge performance on a total picture of an employee rather than how many hours they bill. Quantity does not necessarily mean quality.
- You're very lucky that your employees tend to be very loyal to their colleagues and their managers. Listen to what they have to say.

You will work with bright people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Towers Watson

ProsVery hard-working and intelligent people. The company attracts great talent and great clients. It is a very welcoming place for young people to start their career.

ConsCompensation, work-life balance, and exposure to different departments. If you love happy hours and drinking with the boss, you will like it here. If you want to do your work and enjoy a healthy work-life balance, then reconsider. There is some favoritism to those that can blur the line between work and personal life.

Great place to learn; unable to truly retain and engage

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

ProsPeople are great and knowledgeable and there are various opportunities to contribute and excel if you are a go-getter and work hard. Work is generally of substantial quality standards and a professional environment to be in.

ConsInability to retain key personnel and a mass exodus of talent in the recent period resulting in instability, while an unwillingless to replace staff who leave means that those left behind are stressed out with working longer hours. Compensation is subpar and employees often face nickel and diming as a result of global cost-cutting pressures.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs people are at the very core of this professional firm, to walk the talk ie cultivating and sustaining employee engagement, and demonstrating a sincere interest for the employee's well being would go a long way

Intern

Consultant (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Towers Watson as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat Work enviornment, great office, strong leaders

ConsBusy work, long hours and small cubes

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Enjoyed everyone's company

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!

Towers Watson – Why Work for Us?

Towers Watson is a leading global professional services company that helps organizations improve performance through effective people, risk and financial management. With 14,000 associates around the world, we offer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Towers Watson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Towers Watson CEO John Haley. All 288 reviews are posted anonymously by Towers Watson employees.