Towers Watson

Towers Watson Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Towers Watson CEO John Haley

John Haley

Pros:
  • "Employee oriented culture; work/life balance is improving"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Great work environment in nice part of town"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little work/life balance and no real sympathy for those who want it"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Not much room for internal advancement within my line of business"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good experience

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople are great, good experience, support for on-the-job training as well as exams (actuarial), "family feel", pay is reasonable

ConsStressful with workload and hours

A wild ride

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

ProsThere is a lot to be proud of in TW. There is truly an intense focus on doing what's best for clients and there is a lot of opportunity to grow for people who are very bright and self-motivated.

ConsWe have gotten very big and it can be difficult to stay connected with colleagues. Account Directors have so many different services to understand they can sometimes oversimplify our offerings to clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on what associates really care about - the opportunity to do great work and have an impact on clients

Great place to work!

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery team oriented. The teams you work with are the best of the best which makes it easy to learn. Definitely a place to have a "career".

ConsCan be a bit "corporate" where things often become segmented and silo'd. Plenty to do at all times.

Great place to start a career

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

Pros- Compensation was above-average
- Training opportunities were excellent
- Ability to work on the most prestigious, complex clients on a daily basis
- Exposure to the world of consulting is something that is applicable to just about any path you wish to pursue
- Very flexible work schedule
- Ability to work from home when needed

Cons- Too much emphasis on billable hours; hours targets are unrealistic unless you continue to work outside the office and on weekends
- Spend too much time putting out fires and not enough time concentrating on the task at hand
- Bonus opportunities are lacking... not much of an incentive to put in additional hours after you hit your hours target because there's very little upside opportunity
- It's a bit of an "old boy's club" - most of the good opportunities and promotions seem to go to the favorites rather than the most dedicated and hard-working.

Advice to Senior Management- Absolutely need more advancement opportunities. Promotions only come when there's a need for it and seem to go to the favorites, and the company has (at least for lower level employees) a reputation for being a great place to start a career but not a great place to build a career. If you're not on the fast-track, the only way to move up is to move out.
- Need to judge performance on a total picture of an employee rather than how many hours they bill. Quantity does not necessarily mean quality.
- You're very lucky that your employees tend to be very loyal to their colleagues and their managers. Listen to what they have to say.

Intern

Consultant (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Towers Watson as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat Work enviornment, great office, strong leaders

ConsBusy work, long hours and small cubes

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Enjoyed everyone's company

Great place to learn; unable to truly retain and engage

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time

ProsPeople are great and knowledgeable and there are various opportunities to contribute and excel if you are a go-getter and work hard. Work is generally of substantial quality standards and a professional environment to be in.

ConsInability to retain key personnel and a mass exodus of talent in the recent period resulting in instability, while an unwillingless to replace staff who leave means that those left behind are stressed out with working longer hours. Compensation is subpar and employees often face nickel and diming as a result of global cost-cutting pressures.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs people are at the very core of this professional firm, to walk the talk ie cultivating and sustaining employee engagement, and demonstrating a sincere interest for the employee's well being would go a long way

Has Become A Disaster

Information Technology Manager (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pay is fine - and the ability to work remote is good. That's about all the nice things I can say.

ConsWay too many hours, not enough people. Leadership is nonexistent, but there sure are a LOT of bullies who want to be in charge of vendors. Everything must go to vendors, no internal staff.

Do as I say, not as I do

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Towers Watson

ProsGood training program, decent compensation

ConsLeadership, personal growth, does not listen to input from employees. Management dictates one thing, while not doing so themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider treating all employees with respect, not just the ones in the "clique". If people wanted to be in a clique, they would've stayed in high school. Listen to employees who voice their concerns!

Great place to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSmart people, constantly changing opportunities, limitless growth potential for those who want to advance (and demonstrate the capabilities).

ConsCan be stressful, but not unlike any other professional services environment. Can have that "big company" feel when trying to manage the bureaucracy.

Career enhancing

Non life actuarial manager (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Towers Watson full-time for more than a year

ProsProfessional, intelligent, and friendly colleagues.
Reasonable pay
Better than average IT though nothing to write home about
Interesting and challenging work
Pretty good morale

ConsToo much down time between contracts.
Uncompetitive chargeout rate
Some of the best people have left
At management level it can be difficult to work on projects other than those that fit your skill set, meaning less chance to diversify skilks - though still opportunities to get better at what you do know.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold on to the more charismatic and popular people in your organisation as this is what made it a good place to work.

Worked for Towers Watson? Contribute to the Community!

Towers Watson – Why Work for Us?

Towers Watson is a leading global professional services company that helps organizations improve performance through effective people, risk and financial management. With 14,000 associates around the world, we offer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Towers Watson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Towers Watson CEO John Haley. All 284 reviews are posted anonymously by Towers Watson employees.