Toys ''R'' Us

Toys ''R'' Us Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay

Antonio Urcelay

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours, will work with you if you have school or another job"
    in 25 reviews
  • "It is a good summer job or part time job for students"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Trying to help people during the holiday season and getting yelled at for no reason"
    in 37 reviews
  • "They did not tell me that you have to sale credit cards in order to keep your job"
    in 35 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us

ProsEasy-going environment.that lends itself to a "first job". I'd definitely be consider working here again

ConsYou have to be careful, because when they ask when you're free, they tend to schedule you for all of your available hours. If you have any weekend hobbies, don't tell them you're free on the weekends

Clean and Organized except around Holidays.

Cashier/Sales Team Member (Current Employee)
Hialeah, FL (US)

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time for more than 3 years

ProsQuick help and everything easily found my customers.

ConsSometimes an impatient employee but not a big issue none the less.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Very energetic

Over Night Stock Seasonal (Former Employee)
Leesburg, VA (US)

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for less than a year

ProsThis company is very productive and time consuming.

ConsThe steady flow of work is what needs to be thought about when applying for this position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep, up the good work.

Good experience for a teenager

Sales Team Member (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for less than a year

ProsYou meet a lot of nice people. The store is very big which means you're always busy. You get really good retail experience. After leaving toys r us and working in another retail store I miss toys r us terribly. I had a nice time working there

ConsThere is too much favoritism and not enough hours. Just cut down on the favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who don't favor employees for their own reasons.

Fun place to work but gives you little free time.

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time

ProsIt is a fun place to work where you can deal with a variety of customers. Its also very rewarding seeing the exciting look on the children's face. The team members are fun, happy people who become like a second family.

ConsLittle free time, Recovering can take forever if you are on the closing shift (especially in a super side-by-side Toys R Us/Babies R Us. There is also very little encouragement or fun things the company does.

Normal

Cashier/Sales Team Member (Current Employee)
Long Is City, NY (US)

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for less than a year

ProsEnvironment is nice, being around kids and toys and friendly people. It's pretty easy. Not much thought required

ConsDealing with strange requests like bikes and coupons and parents. And the pressure of being timed in transactions

Advice to Senior ManagementBe selective with hiring

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Nobody has any good ideas

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAverage pay, low turnover, low oversight from upper management

ConsYou can skate by and nothing ever seems to change, good or bad. Mediocre managers just stay below radar and work hard when forced to.

Great Retail Experience

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us

ProsThe culture in this particular location is a family-like atmosphere. The employees including current management are all friendly and willing to help with any questions you have. There is an opportunity to learn new innovations of numerous toys and electronics. It’s a joy to interact with kids of all ages. An employee can gain excellent customer service and people skills; which can be utilized at other business.

ConsThe atmosphere can be hectic during seasonal (holidays). There is pressure in upselling products to customers. Management constantly reminds employees all throughout the day. There is no monetary compensation for this; except management will tell you can get more working hours. This is not necessary true. On some occasions, the employees are treated with snacks, and drinks; if the store reaches its goal for sold products. Unfortunately, for hourly employees the pay is low; and hours are drastically cut back during non-seasonal period. All stores are not created equal; some stores are more attractive than others. The computers and printers are very obsolete.

It was fun to know all of the toys.

Over Night Stock Seasonal (Former Employee)
Humble, TX (US)

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for less than a year

ProsSeasonal help learning the toys

ConsLow pay not enough associates

Advice to Senior ManagementPay raise and higher discounts

The Best Retail Workplace

Team Member (Current Employee)
Nashua, NH (US)

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people here care about helping customers and work hard to do so. The pay is good (for retail). If you love helping customers and love doing retail, THIS IS THE PLACE TO WORK.

ConsWhen hired, I was told that the schedule would be released 2 weeks in advance; instead, it typically comes out 3 DAYS in advance, making it impossible to ever make out of work plans. They expect you to be at work no matter what; if there's a blizzard or a scheduling conflict, they won't be happy if you tell them you can't work. Very few people seem to know how to sort the shelves correctly, and management doesn't provide enough time or manpower for those who want to sort the shelves correctly to be able to; as such, items are rarely in the right place. There are always a few people who clearly don't want to work in retail slowing the store down.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut out the schedule more often and hire enough people to actually keep the store clean and organized.

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Toys ''R'' Us reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay. All 913 reviews are posted anonymously by Toys ''R'' Us employees.