Toys ''R'' Us

Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.8 1,062 reviews

Toys ''R'' Us CEO Antonio Urcelay

Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • coworkers, flexible hours, opportunity to be trained in multiple areas (in 38 reviews)

• The Company seems to have a strong emphasis on maintaining a positive work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to sell garbage warranties and credit cards as well as rewards program (in 49 reviews)

• Yearly lay-offs that occur after the Holiday Season-end January as Toys is not making their forecasted numbers (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights
1,062 Employee Reviews

Working here can be fun but its also extremely stressful. The company has too many expectations but too little payroll.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Bronx, NY (US)

ProsYou can definitely work your way up in this company. just make sure u build a good relationship with the management team and always give it 100%

ConsExtremely tight payroll, not enough team members to get the job done. the pay for team members is definitely not worth it for all the work they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company should definitely raise the minimum pay for team members. They work extremely hard to make the store look good. as a team member you don't just have ONE responsibility you have multiple responsibilities and the hardest one is recovering the building and stay at work till late.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Busy, friendly environment

Department Supervisor (Former Employee) Gurnee, IL (US)

ProsAlways something to do; friendly coworkers; average pay for the work; team environment; it was fun to help the customers find the items they were looking for; enjoyed helping with baby registries.

ConsLong hours during Christmas; pay could have been better, but it was average for retail; sometimes there weren't enough employees to help clean up at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to let your staff know you appreciate all they do.

People are nice

Sales Team Member (Current Employee)

ProsHelping a child (or child at heart) find the toy they want feels good. Other employees are good to work with. Overall fun atmosphere.

ConsStore gets a bit short handed at times. Too much emphasis on selling credit cards and warranties makes things stressful. Occasional rude customer, but that is just a consequence of retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make your employees feel like failures when they don't sell credit cards.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good....

Overnight Stock (Former Employee) San Juan, PR (US)

ProsIf you like toys or you have kids then this is the place to work. I like the discounts and friendly environment

ConsAround the holidays it is very demanding work. they will really really really push you to over achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was fair overall no complaints

Over Stock Night Crew

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlways something to, very relax atmosphere and great co-workers. You could either work individually or in a group.

ConsWhen holidays came around, you had to be extra patient answering questions to tourists and stocking the shelves in an organized manner at the same time.

Sales Team Member

Sales Team Member (Current Employee) Seal Beach, CA (US)

ProsGood Coworkers, flexible hours, benefits including PTO

Consdress code, scarce raises, directions about daily task sometimes unclear

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites

Cashier/ Team Member / HR assistant / Cash office

Cashier/Sales Team Member (Current Employee)

ProsI get to use all my skills and meet lots of good people, or customers.

ConsSometimes I need more information about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to get the information out to all employees, or involve all personnel.

Learned a LOT

Head Cashier (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsCoworkers
    If you are employed at the flagship store, you can handle any retail job in the country hands down.
    Benefits

ConsPay as usual for newcomers

Some management play favorites

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you expect sales goals to be reached, give us a reason to make goal

Fun and fast paced!

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Rowland Heights, CA (US)

ProsI had a great experienced everyone working with us were fun and energetic. We worked as a team.

ConsSometimes understaffed. Company demands a lot for customers but lack of workers makes it hard to please every customer. Minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpliment a strategy to bring the best ability of all workers, better scheduling will make it easier for the whole team.

Part-Time Workers

Cashier (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosgreat people to work for, always busy, have great store wide get togethers

Consno training and you just get thrown on the job as a cashier. Slightly overwhelming

Advice to Senior Managementhave a more thorough training time for employees

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!