Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane

Dan Bane

Pros:
  • "Better than average (although used to be fantastic pay and benefits)"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Wonderful people to work along side, great benefits, great atmosphere"
    in 42 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unprofessional mates share personal info about other crew members when they should not"
    in 45 reviews
  • "physically demanding to the point of serious repetitive motion injuries with no compensation"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stable job. Good pay and benefits for work.

Section Leader (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible schedule. Good benefits. Variety of coworkers that keep job interesting. Free gym membership. Pay is above the industry norm. Health care above average. Casual clothing.

ConsPromote people that are not ready or are not qualified. Hours for some employees can be tough. Too much gossip. Accountability is pretty much non existent. Snooty customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecute accountability standards. Promote from within. Be fair.

Great experience, challenging yet enjoyable

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 3 years

Prosworking with wonderful people, amazing products, flexible schedule, casual environment

Conshard to maintain a work/life balance, work is difficult on you physically

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue hiring quality people, take notice of people contributions

One of the better employer's I've experienced

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Princeton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for less than a year

ProsI've been impressed - the benefits are good, especially the longer you stay, and there's a lot of flexibility available for scheduling, it's a fun and congenial work environment. It's a humane place to work.

ConsIt's physical and fast paced - this doesn't bother me, but it may be a factor for some. An even temper and a willingness to embrace the job not just the task are important. The hours can infringe on the your ability to maintain other social ties. The store itself fills some of that gap though - it's a fun place to work

Pretty good for food retail, but it totally depends on the store team

Needham, MA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

ProsI had the benefit of working for a great captain, first mate and full-timer staff when I first started at TJ's. Believe me, the people you work with make all the difference. With a well-run store, it's fun to learn how to stock product, write orders, take care of customers, and in general, flow with TJ's kaizen philosophy.

ConsIf you're not on track to become a full-timer and move up into store leadership, I don't really see this type of job being a long-term solution.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow the part-time crew members who have potential, and be up-front with those who aren't going to be moving anywhere.

Very satisfying and entertaining!

Crew Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for less than a year

Pros1- friendliness
2- type of customers
3- rotation of duties --> no boredom
4- the way the company takes care of the employees, ranging all the way from health benefits to how the managers treat the employees

Consi can't think of major cons that are worth listing here..but I'd have to say that having grumpy and rude customers to deal with is inevitable anywhere. and one con that might only apply to a group of people is having to do physical work like lifting heavy things.

Advice to Senior Managementplease hire a cleaning service to come in at least once a month to give the store a ridiculous cleaning because the cleaning we do is not enough to have it shining!

Great company that is going through many changes

I have been working at Trader Joe's

ProsTrader Joe's is a great company to work for. They work you very hard though,They are flexible with your schedule, they pay well,give raises every 6 months, hours are consistent, and it is a great team environment. For what is is and compared to the rest of the retail environment Trader Joe's till beats all.

Consno consistency in scheduling, cutting health benefits, minimizing raises, management can be poor at times on the higher level.

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to the wants and needs of crew members. the crew runs that store and are the foundation of Trader Joe's success. Give back health benefits !

Good people, Bad hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Trader Joe's

Prosthe people they hire are always nice so you'll make friends

Consthe hours were not very good, either super early morning or late night usually.

Great company, but management hiring, training, and developing processes must be reevaluated.

Section Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, excellent benefits, and a fun work environment.

ConsManagement can be difficult to work with sometimes, unorthodox schedule, and aches and pains from labor can accumulate very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on developing and training new and existing managers.

Great company

Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexibility of schedule. Great benefits. I worked here during school. Perfect for a Student or anyone who wants to grow with the company.

ConsI experienced no problems while working here. Leadership, personal growth, company values are in line with my standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Helped me grow as a person and grow my skills

Part Time Crew Member (Former Employee)
La Canada Flintridge, CA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible work hours, competitive part time pay, health and 401k benefits.

ConsPhysically challenging, work nights early mornings, and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow opportunities in the corporate office. Promote from within.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Trader Joe's CEO Dan Bane. All 495 reviews are posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees.