Trader Joe's

Updated 22 December 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a grocery store, don't expect to hang out and drink coffee all day.

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most crew members are nice to work with; mates at my store are friendly and supportive, great captain who is humble enough to work on the floor and to stand in line when shopping for himself, eat with the crew and talk to everyone.

I like that in case of disagreements, the mates or the captain are able to keep an unbiased viewpoint, or so it seems.

I find that the "attendance policy" with warnings etc. is very fair. Serves well, if one has an emergency or a major problem where they can't exactly bring "doctors notes" etc. And the the records of the offences are being erased after 90 days.

Generally speaking, I really like going to work and am looking forward to it (and I am generally a very picky person as far as employers go).

We don't get too many obnoxious or self-entitled customers. Occasionally you'll get them, but that's not a norm.

10% off groceries and booze is nice! So is a 401k plan. (Not sure if I will get a health plan because I am not planning to reach 30 hrs/ week work load.)

Generally speaking, this is a great place to work and I believe that if one has the right personality and will, it's also a great place to be promoted to a mate level. Other than that, yeah, this is a grocery store, the work is physical and it's not paid like if you were a Wall Street banker or a marketing manager. However, I think one can learn different aspects of running a grocery store here for a better than average in industry wage and I think that if someone is looking for a less physical job for more pay, they should just meanwhile look for something more fitting. Many better paying jobs actually require or consider retail experience very important and Trader Joe's is one of the better companies to acquire that experience. My two cents...

Cons

I am nitpicking here, really.

Basically what they want (at least in my store) is part-time workers with full-time workers' commitment in all aspects - time commitment, emotional commitment, dedication and loyalty. That can feel pretty "soul-sucking" or like a "cult", as others have described and is pretty much the reason why I'm rating TJ's with 4 stars. The antidote to this issue is to come in and do the best you can, but have the guard up enough to not be sucked out of your shell at the end of the day.

They emphasize how they value "having life outside work", but it can be problematic to get a particular evening off if you are typically scheduled for closing shifts - even if you have an almost open availability to work at different times of day as well.

Apparently morning shifts are almost exclusively reserved for "seasoned crew members" (people who have worked for TJ's 5+ years) and so are, apparently, for a big part, day shifts.

From what I hear, injuries are common. Do yourself a favor, get decent shoes. You will get run over by crew members with two-wheelers, by customers with shopping carts etc. Also, you should stretch and learn about safe lifting techniques. There is no official training on safety so your best bet is to talk to the "seasoned crew members" who will 99% of the time be open to educate you on one-on-one basis about safety and injury prevention. Although, in the 10-day training everyone will generally talk about safety and if you ask, they will show you how to lift etc. Also - get decent gloves because you will work in frozen section from time to time.

Prepare to over-use a hand sanitizer or come down sick often. Why? Because you will handle cash and many of the "seasoned crew members" have warned that that's where catching a flu comes from. Also - wearing plastic gloves is not permitted at the check-out. (Some customers complained about feeling offended to deal with cashiers who wear gloves a few years ago so they prohibited wearing gloves at the checkout. Not strictly enforced though, from what I see and hear.)

I don't like their confrontation tactics which because I find them intimidating: they will approach you out of blue, lead you outside and confront you and there will always be a "witness" mate with the main person who confronts. I understand why the system makes sense, but just be aware of it as it can get very uncomfortable.

I think, my store is fairly run and the leadership is great. I don't think that Dan Bane's mind regarding the anticipated "Wal-Martization" of Trader Joe's, can be changed via Glassdoor advice. The advice is "Don't", but I doubt he is willing and/ or able to hear that.

Mate (Manager) Role

Current Employee - Mate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Mate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay (make sure you negotiate if you're an outside hire!)

Cons

basic retail cons of weekends and nights

give a little love to your city stores... they're not the same as your suburban stores

upgrade your technology. our inventory & trucking processes somewhat pathetic compared to the rest of our operations.

Great Place to start working

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

They teach you true customer service at Trader Joes. They take care of their employee's and it's a very good work environment. Flexible with hours.

Cons

You run into some very challenging customers. Other than that I can't really find any cons it's a great place.

Fun culture

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The company culture is very fun and it's great working for a company that sells amazing products

Cons

Not enough locations. Limited middle management positions. No pay increase for taking on additional responsibility such as writing orders.

Offer pay increase or incentives for crew members willing to write orders for products.

Great company to work for part time!

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Larchmont, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Larchmont, NY (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great benefits for part time employees! Starting pay was above average. Great group of people.

Cons

Part time means you won't be able to work over 40 hours per week.

Great company!

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

friendly work environment; pleasant co-workers; better than average pay; fun atmosphere

Cons

young bosses that try but are lacking in experience, which is only a very small part of my work life here.... the higher level management know what they are doing and are making strides in communicating that to the lower level managers... overall still a very small thing, nothing to worry about really.

learn to delegate a bit better, communicate individually instead of a large group where the subject matter doesn't apply.

pros

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

nice people easy job for first time

Cons

rude costumers and that's it

none

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Crew Member in Newport News, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Newport News, VA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Respectful managers and a fun environment!

Cons

It's not easy to get full time hours

Make full time hours available to part time associates

Awesome Place, Hours? Not so much...

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

- Great environment to work in, co-workers are usually happy, customers aren't crazy or overly mean most of the time.

-Raises are great and once you do your job and on time, basically being a good employee your guaranteed a raise every 6 months or so.

Cons

-Hours, when they are good they are great, if it's slow, get a second job.

Heaven on Earth

Current Employee - Crew Member in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are very good to there employees. All the equipment is in perfect operating condition. They set reasonable expectations for there employees. You don't become a liability when you start to make good money.

Cons

None compared to other grocery stores I've worked in.

Never go public.