Trader Joe's

Updated 20 November 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 52 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 64 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Crew Member in Laguna Hills, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Laguna Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling
    Raises twice a year
    Many food/wine tastings
    Decent Health Insurance for those working on average 30 hours/week
    Great people to work with
    Safe environment
    Paid time off

Cons

As a crew member, hourly pay capped at around $21 an hour
    Slowly making cuts to overall benefits but looking to improve on those again

More advice to CEO: promoting from within is better than taking others from the outside. Go back to the Trader Joe's tradition of doing that.

It's a great company that's different than just about anything else out there.

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great community of workers. Generally the staff and management have great communication.

Cons

Depending on the store and the manager, the climate of trust and stress can vary a lot.

Listen to the employees and don't

Highest paying, most positive atmosphere, and easiest retail/grocery job I've ever had by far

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, caring environment, positive atmosphere, high salary, constant learning experience, non-routine, extremely team-oriented

Cons

Sadly the company places all emphasis for promotion/raises on presence and exact punctuality rather than quality of work.

Crew Member

Current Employee - Crew Member in Wayne, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Wayne, NJ (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has Great benefits

Cons

Not too much of a career

No need to Micromanage

Fun and great company to work with!

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Millburn, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Millburn, NJ (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

wonderful company to grow with
    pay is goode
    everyone is so positive and happy

Cons

very competitive to become a higher position

Awesome Place to work

Current Employee - Clerk in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Clerk in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They split up your job duties every hour to make day go by quicker. Fun and efficient atmosphere.

Cons

Some of shifts were way to early in the morning,

Keep up the good work.

Hard work. But there is trouble behind the friendly, happy facade...

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great products, happy customers. Crew mates generally friendly and easy to work with. Management gives leeway most of the time to keep people happy.

Cons

Age discrimination...being told you are "slow" and giving the younger people the more fun jobs. Those fired or demoted are older for the most part. TJ's does not acknowledge that accuracy, proper product placement and rotation is more important than how fast you can "throw" product.In its zeal to increase profit, TJ's ignores many practices that cost them money. They'd rather promote a know-nothing younger employee (and what I mean is they haven't been there long enough to know enough to be promoted) than let someone with knowledge and experience get ahead - it's all about how much money you make. Tell me something TJ's...why promote that you pay people well when you look to cut them off when they earn too much? DON'T YOU WANT TO KEEP GOOD PEOPLE?

Standards and practices. Stop nickle and diming with salaries and look at where waste really occurs. Pay attention to how the stores are run. Our store is ignoring frozen. It's a mess - too much product in the freezer, too many cut boxes, product left out of the freezer too long (45-min to one hour in many cases) leading to degradation of product. No rotation. Too many products available for order elsewhere don't get ordered. And some places where shelves are empty and product is in back, the product doesn't get thrown. IF THE PRODUCT IS NOT THERE YOU CAN'T SELL IT, AND WE LOSE MONEY. And it disappoints the customer. Pay attention to the store. TJ's uses nautical terms and considers each store a ship. Well, no sailor worth his salt would run a ship like TJ's does. Ger your act together! Finally, when an employee mentions something or has an idea, listen to the message, don't kill the messenger.

Work with some great people but overall sexist boys club.-review by former Mate

Former Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in Long Island City, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in Long Island City, NY (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

10% discount
    They hire some really great people who can feel like family over time.

Cons

Work/life balance is dismal. Worked 6 months straight of 2PM till 1AM with Tuesday and Wednesday off.
    Male employees who make sexist or racist remarks get a pass if they've been working there for more than 3 years. Even with management and HR having knowledge of it these men just get shuffled around instead of having the problem actually be dealt with.
    Men also make higher salaries than female counterparts.
    In my experience the store manager I worked under did not care about anything and brushed people off which is frustrating when you know they make over 100000 a year and can't even pretend to care about the staff.

Focus more on staff and people who bring real value to your company opposed to giving some seniority loyalty to people who are over all destructive to your brand. Take sexual harassment and racial comments more seriously.

cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

the hours I work are horrible

Gallagher Bassett Worker's Comp Insurance Is TERRIBLE! Good luck if you get injured on the job.

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are great and fun to be around. You can transfer to other stores and help open other stores if you are in a growing area. If you go in as a transfer to another store, don't go in like you run the place and start bossing people around, it just makes you unwelcome and then no one likes you. You don't need to prove you know what you are doing by being critical to everyone else. In addition to that you're NOT in a position of authority so remember that. We've had a few too many of those at our store.

Cons

Very physical back breaking work. If you get hurt on the job, which you probably will, you will have to deal with the WC insurance Gallagher Bassett. I've never gotten the proper medical treatment for my issue and it takes 1-2 months just to get any type of pain relief approved. Just horrible. The good news is if you have a great crew everyone will help you out when you need it.

Careful who you promote. Too many druggies, half wits and power crazy b's, are in those positions. Our store has gotten a bit better but we still have a couple that should not be there.