Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated 30 March 2015
807 reviews filtered by

Good for a grocery store, but still not great

Former Employee - Crew Member in Brookline, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Brookline, MA (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Kind, interesting coworkers, good for straight out college, full time workers receive benefits

Cons

The company has gone through a lot of changes since 2010, when the company president retired and things got way more corporate and management was chaotically reorganized.

I had really good experiences with managers both in leadership and sensitivity to the fact that employees are not robots. But corporate should spend more time talking to managers and cashiers to ensure the decisions they make actually make sense on the store floor.

Great for some personalities but not all.

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Employee discount of 10% on everything in the store
    - Flexible schedule, great for students or someone with another part time job
    - Dress code is very relaxed

Cons

- Company culture is going through a big change
    - Hard to advance
    - Weird social groups form, causes rifts between management and crew

- Be less about the bottom line and more about keeping your employees happy
    - Mates need to treat all employees with equal respect

3. Its an amazing company to work for. The people and the atmosphere are great!

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Work around your schedule
    Benefits
    Paid Time Off

Cons

Not a one on one growth experience

5. I worked here for six months while looking for a job in my field. Fantastic short-term gig for me.

Former Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

1) Fantastic benefits
    2) Managements treat employees very well
    3) Coworkers are a lot of fun
    4) The work changes a lot during the day. You're on register for one hour, then working product, then helping customers. The lack of monotony made it so much better.

Cons

1) It's a grocery store
    2) Not a very data-oriented company
    3) Very uphill battle to gain new skills. It's on you to bug management for new training/opportunities.

Be more open to employees trying to gain new skills

6. Great place to work

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Trader Joe's has an amazing work environment. Everyone is super friendly. If you are a hard worker and want to stay in the retail business you can work yourself up to management. Health insurance, 10% employee discount, retirement contribution, and free gym membership.

Cons

Shifts can be early, mid or late shifts between 5 am to 11 pm. Heavy lifting and being on your feet all day long is sometimes very tiring, but worth it because you will be in good shape after a couple of month.

7. Fun company, grumpy employees

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great food and cool customers.

Cons

Unless it's a new store, most of the management and crew are jaded.

don't underestimate the power of feedback

8. Fun, But Physically Taxing

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time

Pros

- Great benefits (medical, dental, optical if you work 30+hrs/wk consistently; retirement)
    - Can wear jeans at work
    - Develop a "work family"
    - Opportunities for growth
    - Flexible with college schedule
    - Reviews every 6 months

Cons

- Physical strain
    - Heavy lifting
    - Lifting awkward objects (bread trays, etc)
    - Multiple coworkers out on disability from work-related injuries

9. A great place to go to work and fee like family

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great work enviroment. Fun to be at work

Cons

Scheduling could be better. Uses Dayforce.

At one time it was a great place to work. . .

Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Physical work, keeps you in shape

Cons

Dysfunctional management. Spineless and unable to discipline effectively.

Ditch the new 'system' where managers dictate jobs on the hour. The old log system, where a crew member has his/her name on a task, and thus feels personally responsible for the quality of the work, functions much better. Any floor manger who know what he/she are doing will be able to anticipate the needs of varied sections with a hand written log.

I wish my store were like the other ones I hear about.

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great people to work with, benefits are amazing, food is one of a kind. There are extremely dedicated employees who go above and beyond their duties to make sure the store is in the best shape it could be in.

Cons

I have seen this company go from what I considered a role model to other companies to being just one of the many rather than one of the few, as it used to be. Their ever- expanding market has created many different rules about your daily job that makes it impossible to properly communicate with one another. Due to the new healthcare system, you must work 30 hours versus the previous 20 to receive health insurance. Just about every other person hired at this particular store are southern baptists. Our captain has turned a blind eye to the tension this creates in the work environment. I have seen maybe four people of color hired during the time I've been employed there. Every single one of them has left eventually. There were about 70 people who opened our store and three years later there are about ten original hires left. I've heard other stores do not have near as high of a turnover rate as ours.

Our store captain puts his personal views before the company's, by hiring mostly young religious white males (or their wives, or both), who receive better treatment than the older employees, and the female employees.

The mates at this particular store are so miserable and it is a reflection of poor guidance from the captain. They're not properly trained, therefore crew members aren't properly trained. All of the original mates that opened our store have left (ten of them) to work at a different store because they knew months into the job that they were in no way going to receive a recommendation to move up in the company by this captain.

If I were to write this review when I first started the job, it would have gone much, much differently. Many crew members who couldn't get an issue resolved by our captain took it to our regional director, who also turned a blind eye to their array of concerns.

I worked with a gay man who came out as transgender two years into the job. As soon as she came out, her reviews were bad, her hours were cut, and the treatment from our management changed toward her. Prior to that, her reviews were always perfect. This is one of the many examples as to why Trader Joe's will either get worse, or if they start listening, REALLY listening, it could get better.

My advice would be to really review your captains. Simple yes or no surveys do not convey the atrocity that is now Trader Joe's. If you want the right people to represent your brand, make sure that they are the ones that are right for the job. Don't just place people in stores that no other mates or captains want to transfer to, otherwise I know you will see more reviews like this one.

Get rid of the new daily scheduling system. It does not work. It worked just fine before, when every crew member had a specific task to complete.

I hope this sheds light on the rather serious issues that I know do not just happen in one store.