Trader Joe's

Updated 16 December 2014
3.4

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

It's difficult to admit the changes.....

Current Employee - Crew Member
    Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hands down, this is the most enjoyable job I've ever had. The people are great, the management is better than any other retail enviornment that I've ever worked in. We are afforded enough power to make customers happy and do our jobs. The customers are a cut above any other grocer, they are usually more respectful and generally more educated than a regular grocery store. This makes for a much more enjoyable customer service experience. The retirement plan, though reduced over the past few years, is still wonderful in todays market.

Cons

As the company grows, hours are being cut as well as benefits. We once qualified for benefits at an average of 20 hours per week. That limit was bumped up to 30 hours last year and has wrecked havoc amongst its employees. People that once qualified, no longer do and are forced into the government plan which in most cases is much, much more expensive than what we had at work. They are also not as comprehensive as what we once enjoyed. Raises are still generous but nowhere NEAR what they once were. As the company has grown, their generosity decreased.

I understand these are tough times and Trader Joe's still does stand out amongst other retailers. However, you DID cut our benefits. You DID slow our raises down. You DID reduce our retirement. There seems to be no acknowledgement of this. Instead, every few months, I get what I like to call the "aren't you glad I'm your boyfriend?" letters. They tell us how wonderful you all are for providing us with what we have and how well it compares to other companies. That's awesome. I understand these are tough economic times and things everywhere are changing. But stop telling me I shouldn't be unhappy that every quarter I have to worry if I will be able to provide benefits for my family because my hours are cut during the summer, a slow time for us and hours are again cut in winter even though it's busy. If I lose benefits with you, my cost will go up $150 per month through the government plan. That is not an affordable option for me or my family. Your company is growing and it appears to me that as you grow, employee benefits will wane. That is disheartening for me because I love this company. I believe in this company and I don't want to someday have to say that they let me down to the point of having to leave.

I love it.

Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Mate (Assistant Manager) in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great experience to work for.

Cons

Long hours but amazing savings.

Keep up.

Well run.

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Well run company with no debt and good starting income for the type of job it is. Always expanding stores as well.

Cons

While you can get raises, it tops out at around $20 an hour. After you've reached that, there's less incentive and not as much to aspire to.

Don't cap raises.

Positive

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No look policy and salary.

Cons

I can't think of any so far.

Amazing job!

Current Employee - Crew Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Trader joes is there for you and will do anything in their power to make you happy!

Cons

No cons. Labor is mandatory but it's part of the job.

Be happy and lead us!

Could be a better place to work.

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fellow employee's and most managers were very easy to get along with. Pay slightly above average. Casual atmosphere. Usually not stuck in one section all day.

Cons

Benefits only available to those that work and maintain 700 hours within a period. One day you have benefits and the next day you could lose them which happened to me. Job is extremely physical - just about everyone I worked with had some type of injury that even if it hurts, as long as you're cleared by a doctor you still do the same thing. Once they find you're good at something, you are pretty much stuck there even though they're supposed to rotate you during the day. Management tends to play favorites with some employees. Little encouragement for hard work.

Make sure all employees are trained properly on all sections. Have a way that employees can check online to see if they are close to losing benefits so they can pick up other shifts or have other options. Rotate employees often. Ask them what sections they like to work. Have baggers during peak hours and holiday season assigned to each register. Let employees work hours you hire them for, even if it's not a full shift. While I'm all for the "customer experience", it's ok if the cashiers don't chit chat with EVERY customer. Some customers would like to get in and out without having small talk.

Crew member

Current Employee - Crew Member in West Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in West Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are better than most employees.

Cons

Not very challenging and they are shifting to cheaper supervisors.

Use experience personnel to get things done right.

Crew member

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good coworkers. Fun place to work

Cons

Hard to move up in company without relocating. Played favorites at times

Don't look down on part time employees like we are stupid. Some of us have more education and knowledge than you do

Great Career Choice!

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Very rewarding professionally and financially!

Cons

Work/ Life balance can be a struggle...

Invert the Pyramid

I'm very disenchanted with this place.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my coworkers, just quality people. And I really like the benefits but I'm sad I will be losing them soon.

Cons

They are cutting hours right and left even though we are a very steady store that brings in tons of money. It's obvious they're doing this because they don't want to give benefits anymore and what really bothers me about this is they're covering this up by lying to our faces about our "slow sales". Why do they expect us to believe that when we're the ones making the transactions?

Just be honest and have some genuine concern for your employees. Otherwise, why do you even want to manage at all?