Trader Joe's

Updated 31 January 2015
3.5

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits and a great place to work for people who don't mind working hard (in 56 reviews)

• The benefits are great considering it's non-union part time work (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers sit in the office all day while crew members run the store (in 65 reviews)

• It can be physically demanding so entry jobs are best for the young and fit (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member (Holiday) in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member (Holiday) in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great place to work! Definitely keeps you busy and being able to taste all of the food is a plus, too!! Customers are great!

Cons

Not enough time off. You have to ask for it WAY in advance to even be considered. Also, the crew will likely talk bad about you. There is a lot of gossip that goes on there that customers fail to see.

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - F/T Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Above average wages/salary. Fantastic retirement plan. Great Benefits. Employee discount on all products.

Cons

Inconsistent hours for most members of management. Sometimes difficult to get time off.

Praise often, be direct, consistent and hold everyone accountable.

TJ's of Naperville

Former Employee - Crew Member in Naperville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team culture. Management listens to and cares about your opinion. Company surveys sent out to employees every year and they really do take action and make changes if many voice concerns about something. Great opportunity for promotions and raises if you perform well. You rotate between task every hour so you don't have to just cashier or stock all day like some grocery stores make their employees do. TJ's is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day and has shortened hours the other major holidays.

Cons

My cons are more about the grocery industry in general, not Trader Joe's. I personally just did not like working nights and weekends. Also holidays are very busy which can physically exhausting, but it makes the day go by fast and managers treat you really well.

When coming back to work for you guys during college breaks I would be considered a new hire in the system so I didn't get the benefit of adding to my AR or getting a performance review, but I can't complain because I was glad to be taken back for my breaks and given so many hours.

good to work with people that believe in eating healthy !

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

like working with friends and family !

Cons

you have to work closer to fill-time now to get health benefits.

Almost said yes but changed my mind

Current Employee - Trader Joes in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Trader Joes in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Seems like an environment with a lot of energy and great products

Cons

Not very organized and difficult to have a mixture of shifts

a training program

A wonderful place to work.

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a great Place to work! Friendly crew members, wonderful management, and in store discounts are just some of the things I came to love working at Trader Joes.

Cons

You do work a lot here. Working part time, you never get a consistent schedule. They basically want access to you whenever they need it.

Changed company

Former Employee - Trader Joes in Reisterstown, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Trader Joes in Reisterstown, MD (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great pay and benefits and co workers as far as equal level is concerned, you can have whatever hair color you want and they don't care about piercings and tattoos. I have no piercings myself but it goes to show accepting company they used to be.

Cons

Slowly becoming more corporate. Supervisors date and mess around with coworkers. They take the opportunity to use the death of a coworker to fire people or "clean house"

Stop retaliating. The policy is no retaliation but they definitely do. They manage based on fear and disrespect. They will use what they can against you.

Trader Joes

Former Employee - Crew Member in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Fast and fun lots of age groups.

Cons

Lots of injuries. Can be a little cliquey at some stores. Fast and hard work

Break up the little private groups it can make you feel left out.

Fun

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Friendly atmosphere workers customers fair pay good hours

Cons

There are really no cons its a win win the people that you are in contact with on a daily basis add to your life

Working at TJ's

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Light-hearted atmosphere, great co-workers, flexible hours. Customers can be entertaining, although it depends on the time of day and how busy the registers are running. Lots of unique and delicious products. Crew tastings allow for increased product knowledge; there's almost always something for crew members to eat during the day!

Cons

Managers too often have favorites who are given noticeable preference and treatment (ex: double bubbles). All crew members are part time and can have hours cut when projections aren't being reached.

Try to remain consistent with your message in what Trader Joe's values. It should be hard work and the delivering of a fantastic customer experience. Instead, it's turned into "how can we cut hours and get more out of the crew who are already short staffed and working as hard as they can."