TransUnion

Updated 27 January 2015
Updated 27 January 2015
3.3

Jim Peck

Pros
  • Excellent work/life balance with the ability to work off-site as needed (in 19 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home twice a week depending on your department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance exists, but is not the strongest the Chicago area (in 8 reviews)

• Processes - The amount of red-tape and lack of practical training on how to navigate the "system" is awe-inspiring (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Its like a full package..fun, work, life, friends and money.

Current Employee - Trainee in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Trainee in Mumbai

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not much of a stressful environment
    Friendly people
    Love this work

Cons

Have to buy own food

Avoid: Not a place for someone with career aspirations or decent educational pedigree

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

I worked at TransUnion (more than a year)

Pros

The company has a strong brand presence and market recognition, especially in Indian market where bureaus are still evolving

Cons

MANAGEMENT/LEADERSHIP: Clearly the most insecure, political and unprofessional people on job who have made a mockery of corporate culture. Select favorites have been made larger than the organization and are promoted at all costs, their professional competency notwithstanding. The one job the management is good at is at manipulating peoples careers and keeping appearances with the headquarters- by giving them selective feeds and convincing them a great job is being done
    CULTURE: Un-collaborative, un-meritocratic culture. The moment you question your bosses, which is easy given the level of their professional competency, expect to be ostracized on all fronts. Basic problem solving or having an independent opinion is discouraged as it undermines authority of the superiors - in this day and age, it is really a shame such a culture is being promoted
    WORK: Very ill managed, even if there is not much work you can end up spending hours on getting simple work done. This is more a systemic flaw - the management encourages creating silos and supporting the unprofessional-ism /incompetency of certain important people

India leadership - Sad to experience your rudeness, arrogance and basic lack of respect for individuals
    US Leadership - Other than questioning performance based metrics you might want to question
    1. Concentration of power: Find out why there is excessive concentration, literally no backup creation and no new talent grooming
    2.Attrition rate: Have a system of exit feedback from attriting employees in which headquarters are involved, it is the only way of making sure you have a pulse of what really goes on for the sake of your own business. It might even give India management reason to act less high highhandedly with employees

Don't join TransUnion India

Current Employee - Analytics and Decisioning in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Analytics and Decisioning in Mumbai

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High Salary. they pay quite well compared to the competition as well as banking industry
    Fast paced environment
    Multi-national company with good brand recognition

Cons

Incompetent management - True example of Peter principle
    Bad work culture - Only a few employees (who are close to the management) get all the goodies.
    Private Equity owned - Management is lying through their teeth to the corporate guys in chicago who are in the dark regarding the state-of-affairs in Mumbai office

Learn how to respect employees rather than favoring only a very few that are close to you.

Great place to work!

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

TransUnion is a wonderful place to work. They really care about their people, strive to always be better and have a relaxed working environment you typically don't find in this 'type' of business.

Cons

I think this company is only getting better, each and every day.

Almost there.

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working for TransUnion. I'm really early into my career and have taken advantage of many opportunities TU has presented. Love to new brand. For the most part, I enjoy my coworkers.

Cons

For a tech company, we're not very tech savy. Small example, I was told that I need to restart my computer every time I'm having issues with the sound. Every. Single. Time. Nothing like rebooting during a presentation.

Fully commit to the trch company personality.

Better than average culture in a growing, innovative organization

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is fantastic! I went from a company where the expectation was a minimum of 50 hours a week to a company that values the life I have outside of work. I come to work most days excited about what is happening and the impact I can make. Transunion is investing in technologies and people that make this a very exciting time to be a part of this organization. Additionally, the benefits package is wonderful, I appreciate the $0.00 deductible and the low out of pocket costs for myself and my family.

Cons

Some of the processes/policies are a bit outdated, it can take some work to get things done if you are new and don't know the proper person to reach out to. Additionally, as a global organization, there are locations that simply don't have the technical infrastructure necessary to be efficient, and that can be a bit frustrating at times.

Keep investing in your people, keep sharing news that keeps us excited about growth and changes.

A lot of great things are happening at Transunion Healthcare

Current Employee - Development in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Development in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

The Austin division of Transunion Healthcare is a great place to work at. There is a mix of old timers and new blood. Together, you get to develop solutions to old and new problems. The technology stack is .Net and SQL, but the problems you get to solve and the projects you get to work on are interesting and cutting-edge. There is a lot more flexibility than what I had heard of. Very collaborative work environment, lots of growth. Good benefits too.

Cons

Not a great place for people who don't enjoy attention to detail, and don't have a natural inclination to work with lots and lots of data. I don't see anyone wearing shorts to work even in summer. Glad to see jeans all the time though. :)

Be mindful and don't take a step in the wrong direction. We have a good going right now.

A lot of creativity and innovation

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Transunion for almost 4 years and in the last year I have seen a lot of positive changes, one of which is our remodeling of the corporate office to make it more conducive to collaboration. We have experienced a lot of growth and are exploring a lot of new ideas and practices. We are investing in our employees by offering them many opportunities to grow and develop their skills. A great time to be a TransUnion associate!

Cons

No workplace is perfect and in our current period of change we have been challenged to keep the "boat afloat" by completing day to day tasks and work on new and innovative projects. Sometimes this has been a challenge at times due to being short staffed in our department, but I feel that management is interested in our concerns and in our ideas for making Transunion a great place to work and recognizes and supports our efforts and is trying to get us caught up to where we should be in our industry; as the leading provider of credit information and tools..

Intern Review

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at TransUnion (less than a year)

Pros

good pay
    good location
    lots of free food

Cons

often dull
    you work with mostly older people

recruit younger people

Great Company to work for!!

I have been working at TransUnion

Pros

Good work life balance, great people, new branding looks promising.

Cons

Lack of diversity in the senior management team.