Triage Consulting Group

Triage Consulting Group Reviews in San Francisco, CA US

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece

Brian Neece

Pros
  • Triage is a young company that offers a great work-life balance and cares about its employees(in 26 reviews)

• Very fun people (hard to connect sometimes when you're not caucasian though(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • insurance companies (about 80% of your work in your first year and a half)(in 9 reviews)

• No room for growth opportunity or advancement(in 3 reviews)

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good place to work out of college for 2-4 years, but not where you want to spend your career.

Senior Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsTriage holds your hand out of college and introduces you to the world of business through basic training programs, on-the-job training, and endless happy hours.

ConsThe work is 10% Consulting and 90% arguing with insurance companies about collections.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent in what job you are offering to potential employees. Many students feel that when they are leaving to work at a "Consulting" company, they will spend the majority of their time working on consulting projects. In reality, associates and seniors spend the vast majority of their time arguing with outsourced insurance company representatives with little understanding of correct payment practice.

Wonderful training opportunities with fantastic people

Senior Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat healthcare experience
    Good benefits
    Fantastic and ambitious co-workers

ConsStrict career progression
    Management slow to implement changes

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to grow this company faster

Excellent people coupled with leadership experience make Triage a great place to work.

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe work environment is non-competitive. Employees are intelligent, engaging, and fun to be around!

ConsThe work can be monotonous.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

From the frathouse to the work place

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsYou get significant PTO (4 wks for associates) and are encouraged to take it. The average age at Triage is 23, your colleagues will be young and attractive but immature and fratty. At the associate/sr associate level the pay is very transparent and flat. Everyone at the same level makes the same--this decreases competition and increases camaraderie. Promotions are fixed and internal, if you stay around to make it to senior associate (21 mnths), you can get project management autonomy that is unlikely to be offered anywhere else. The downside to this is that you often have very young senior associates that are not ready to lead, evaluate based on personal friendships instead of actual skill and ineffective trainers. Mentor-mentee system is helpful in helping new associates navigate the company and ask non-p.c. questions. If you are genuinely interested in healthcare reimbursement, you will learn a lot.

ConsCalling Triage consulting is a stretch as you are certainly not paid like it. "Recovering underpayments" = you are a medical claim auditor. Insurance companies pay hospital claims, you vet these claims to make sure they're paid correct and pursue if they're not. This usually involves hours on the phone with outsourced call center reps. The only consulting piece is a status meeting which occurs about once a year and won't involve associates. The travel is nice but it's basically forced facetime with apathetic clients. You won't meet any c-level execs and will likely only interact with your coworkers, just in a different city. The work is repetitive and dry, hence the high annual turnover rate. There is an unspoken pressure to spend time with your team and attend company events (happy hours, trips etc..), especially during travel. This is great if you just left a frat/sorority where you don't mind spending every minute with the same people and have all events planned for you. If you prefer to separate life from work, are not single, cannot stand upper-middle-class private school culture, this is not the place for you. Even though events are 'optional', repeat absences will find themselves onto your evaluations. 98% of your work is done in a proprietary access database, meaning your skills are non-transferable and pretty much irrelevant at other companies. Evaluations are frequent and highly subjective, making it difficult to resolve conflict. Unless you display undying loyalty to Triage and unwavering peppiness, you won't make it far here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop recruiting under the consulting umbrella unless the day-to-day work changes. Promote based on merit rather then tenure, the ratio of capable senior associates to inept ones is laughable. Increase the pay if your want to retain top talent.

Boring work--nice people

Experienced Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- you will make legitimate friends here at work
    - travel benefits
    - fun culture

Cons- work is super boring and not very challenging, unless you call figuring out why Access isn't working challenging.....
    - company motto is " don't reinvent the wheel" which has led to the company using super old technology
    - change isn't really welcome
    - there is a lot of politics, people taking credit for other people's work
    - evaluation are usually them raising up issues that don’t matter (you didn't look happy enough with food you were served a a team event, you forgot to put a space after a comma in a report, etc) rather than actual hard contributions you made to a project
    - they expect you to be happy all the time, smiling and being happy all day while you are on hold on the phone for 80% of your day listening to terrible hold music is kind of hard to do...

Advice to Senior Management- incentivize your employees so they aren't complacent -a lot of people have the mindset of "What's the least amount of work I need to do to get promoted?" and most of the time it's these complacent individuals who get promoted.
    - hire diverse people, I see that you are working on it, but it can be better
    - people literally can't afford to live in the city (student loans + rent + food + commuting) with the pay you offer- I know the you say that we aren't competing with the tech industry, but we kind of are when it comes to cost of living.
    - recruit outside intelligence for higher roles in the company. For many managers/principals this is their first and only job which means very little info comes from outside the company.

Great place to start your career and get consulting and management experience!

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Good promotion schedule
    - Opportunity for client facing experience
    - Great travel perks
    - People are fun and smart

Cons- No opportunity to accelerate promotion or gain more responsibility with better performance
    - Work can be repetitive
    - Travel can get tiresome
    - Not much innovation as a company

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you have attempted a performance-based compensation system in the past, but I think it's worth another shot. You will do a much better job retaining great employees.

Not fully satisfied

Experienced Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGood, young, fun people; good happy hours

ConsDon't like the work I do; not rewarding at the end of the day

I worked full time at Triage for 2 years

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros-Fun, social group of young people
    -good work/life balance

Cons-Promotions not based on merit, rather tenure
    -Incredibly dry work

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it transparent and stop skimping on small things like casual dress, or bonuses

TriTTraigri

Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFun place to work with lots of team building activities. Some projects offer the opportunity to travel. They hire new grads.

ConsVery structured. Hard to get ahead because it's all based on seniority. Expensive to live in San Francisco. Rents are high.

Great people & great exposure to the business side of health care

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe company cares about its employees and treats them very well.
    The people are young, friendly, and supportive
    Management is accessible and supportive
    Great work/life balance
    Good hours, rarely out after 6:30, and flexible hours
    Living in San Francisco is amazing
    Good corporate values

ConsNarrow industry. Triage deals almost exclusively with insurance and hospitals to recover lost revenue. Not much experience if one wants to pursue different type of consulting or make sustainable improvements to our healthcare system.

Worked for Triage Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!