Triage Consulting Group Reviews

Updated 30 March 2015
67 reviews filtered by
  • San Francisco, CA, US Area (US)
3.5
Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

1. Featured Review

Great opportunity for college grads

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accelerated career track: Most of your first year at Triage is spent learning (how to use our Access database, billing guidelines, industry information, client perspective). For me, that didn't mean just making phone calls all day, but everyone has a different experience based on your project mix. From 12-21 months you are given more client-facing responsibilities and get to train/manage newer employees. From 21 months on (if you have gotten solid evaluations) you are leading your own team. I don't think I could have gotten to a project manager role this quickly at many other jobs out of school. And I rarely call insurance companies anymore...

The people: I've made great friends that I'll keep for life. I've made great connections with people that moved on to other companies (built-in networking). There are very few people that I've not enjoyed working with.

No 'politics': Until Manager promotions, which are 5 years in and only affect a handful of people, you don't need to pull any House of Cards moves to succeed. If you are good to work with and produce a good work product, you will be promoted - simple as that.

Cons

Diversity?: This is a common subject in reviews lately so I should touch on it. I'm not a minority, but I'm not from an upper middle class, greek, sports background. Trust me when I say you can find your people no matter what your background is. I think we aim to hire younger, ambitious, friendly, and capable people, and that's part of why our culture is so great. Not sure this is the diversity crisis it's painted to be; I would chalk it up to the immaturity of some recent college grads. A lot of our events end with/focus on drinking beer, but I don't see that as very different from my friends' companies...

Burnout: If you aren't willing to put in the time on the front end to learn the work, you probably won't stay long enough to be Senior and reap the benefits (proj management experience, great pay for the hours worked). For most people this is their first job out of college so I would think this is a standard concept...

Merit: If you are a high performer, you are rewarded with more work (which can be great experience/exposure) but no extra pay and few perks. This works for the ambitious go-getters but I know it rubs some people the wrong way. There is a lingering feeling of being replaceable at any time (and it's mostly true, a result of the hiring model) which also makes some high performers uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Some employees will always complain/push for more from you, which is probably necessary for an organization to move forward. However, when something can't happen, we at least appreciate when you justify why and show some transparency. Often there is a business reason that isn't obvious to us and whenever you communicate your organizational perspective in a clear way, you earn trust with your employees. This happens sometimes, but the more the better.

Also, Yammer is pretty weird.

Great company -- work experience, leadership opportunity, and balanced lifestyle in a fun environment.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I see what some comments say about the daily work being a "con", but I encourage people to think bigger picture. There is time on the phone and tedious parts of the day, but you get so much more than just phone skills you can use to negotiating your cable bill. You get: leadership roles as early as 21 months, exposure to C-level hospital clients, exposure to internal management, "extracurricular" event planning and involvement if you want, and extensive formal and informal training giving young college grads real life business experience. The compensation package as a whole (salary + benefits + VTO + PTO...) is fair and there are opportunities for increases and bonuses at certain milestones. I think that anyone who leaves Triage (especially early on) because they don't like the work will find that most jobs have parts that are more and less desirable. Once you factor in the people you work with, the environment both here in the office and on the road, and the mentoring and support, and the value we add to the hospitals we work for, the reasons for working at Triage outweigh the reasons not to -- especially if you keep your focus on the big picture.

Cons

I think Triage's conservative nature causes it to be a bit reactionary to avoidable issues (shortage of office space, shortage of staff). I know that budgeting and risk assessments go into these decisions but it would be reassuring to see a more proactive attitude about some of the problems that we see year after year.

Excellent place to work. Great people, experience, and work-life balance.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture: Triage has an exceptional work environment. My colleagues were hard-working, fun, and extremely supportive. They have been able to maintain a very collaborative culture and emphasize strong work-life balance. A 45-55 hour workweek can be expected regardless of what level you reach at the company.

Professional Development: Triage invests heavily in its employees from a training/professional development standpoint. Furthermore, you get great management/client-facing experience at a very young age. Very few companies will let you manage multi-million dollar engagements between the ages of 23-25. The project management and staff development experience is extremely valuable.

Network: The Triage network is very tight-knit. You will get to know a very vibrant, diverse group of people who will go on to be successful in a hundred different ways, both inside and outside of healthcare. Triage is a great place to build a career, and can also be a great steppingstone for whatever else you'd like to get into outside of healthcare finance.

Cons

Mundane work: Triage's breadth of services is fairly narrow, and can be very mundane. If you don't enjoy the work, it can be a grind sometimes and the learning curve can level-off for long stretches between promotions.

No pay for performance: Triage's promotion track, salaries, and bonuses are all static - at present, there is no mechanism in place to financially reward company superstars. They do not incentivize people to excel which makes it difficult for their most talented people to stay.

Advice to Management

For the most part, well done - keep doing what you're doing. My one piece of advice would be to work on some sort of merit-based compensation. Whether that's increased bonuses, accelerated promotion tracks, or being more willing to allow really talented people to take their careers within Triage in an alternative direction where they could really drive a lot of value (e.g., technical applications, Legal Services, practice development, etc). I think it may go a long way towards motivating staff and keeping morale high as people would really feel like they are rewarded for going above and beyond.

Triage is a great place to start one's career with strong career development opportunities and an amazing culture.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to manage a team early in your career and overall career development opportunities.
    Strong work/life balance.
    Team-oriented culture that is a fun place to work.
    I made lifelong friends at Triage.
    Company was a great springboard into a top business school and a rewarding career in Healthcare post-MBA.

Cons

The work of a first year associate can be monotonous.
    Compensation is lower than most consulting opportunities (was the case in 2011), but there is a generous PTO policy and better balance than industry norm.
    Depending on the project, there can be a significant amount of travel.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Stagnant and cookie-cutter

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Good work-life balance and low-stress if those are your priorities
    *Looks good on a resume
    *PTO/benefits

Cons

Diversity is a genuine problem. The fact that a significant number of people have expressed concerns about an exclusionary culture, but someone more tenured posted a review undermining those personal experiences, is telling of the general company culture at Triage. Diversity is a widespread complaint behind closed doors for many people who don't fit the limited Triage stereotype. The demographic seems to be 80% white and many employees coming from Greek life, which is partly why reviews are so divided between "College part 2! Love the people!" vs. "meh."

Work culture aside, the day-to-day is procedural and repetitive. You do learn a lot of knowledge within the first couple months, but it is within a small sliver of the healthcare industry. If you are genuinely interested in account research, calling insurance reps, claims and billing, and contract language, then you might enjoy the work. However, this is definitely not a management consulting/strategy role no matter how much Triage tries to brand it as such.

Evaluations and recruitment can be laughable and not professional. This is less of a problem higher up with Managers and Principals, but I have heard Associates (22-23 year olds) write candidates off at career fairs for having a foreign accent, subjectively not liking them, or giving them chances because they were physically attractive. This lack of professionalism and value system would never be accepted at most companies I know of, and it is unfortunate that the environment tends to allow and foster this type of behavior. For evaluations, many employees feel that politics/personality fit outweigh merit and productivity.

Advice to Management

Transparency during the recruiting process, as well as lowering the bar in terms of candidate caliber, might aid in employee retention and happiness. Higher-performing employees leave fast because there are so many administrative tasks in the job that do not require education from a top-tier school.

Triage is a good company made great by amazing people. The company culture is fun and exciting.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Triage really values work/life balance which is readily apparent through their vacation and travel policies.

Cons

The work can be a little mundane but that is the nature of the job and the type of services they offer to their clients.

Great opportunity: responsibility early, multi-functional opportunities, great work-life balance/people/culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large Responsibility Early: Dependent upon your performance, within 21 months you could be leading a project with multiple direct reports. You will learn to manage employees and connect long-term goals co-created with senior management to short-term workflows of your project.
    Multi-functional opportunities: Very easy for person to become involved in areas outside of day-to-day consulting work. I was lead of recruiting at my undergrad and a liaison to one of the company's non-profit partners. This was in addition to the day-to-day work I did for my client. Other opportunities also include: Green Squad (leading in-office sustainability), internal consulting (growing knowledge base and improving software/processes), training (lead internal training for newer associates), etc. (check website for more)
    Work-life balance/people/culture: Probably the most distinguishing factor. All of these are perfect for where I was coming out of college. Only 45 hours/week in office, the people that work here are all fun and often go out together outside of work, and the culture is one of creating a one-stop shop of professional development coupled with a social employee-base that could replace your current friends (if you want it to).
    All of the above means that there are many opportunities to either stay or move onto a new endeavor in a variety of industries/functions, and you will enjoy your time while you are here.

Cons

*Sometimes work can become repetitive and mundane (especially some of the stuff you will be doing early on in your career).
    *Specialized in one area of healthcare. Stay too long you could think that you're pigeon-holed into hospital administration.
    *Compensation is same for all employees. While attempts have been made to recognize great work from select individuals, sometimes it just feels like management is checking the box on "recognizing their employee[s]".

Advice to Management

Try to continue becoming more transparent with success of company and sharing in spoils. While it'll never get to disclosing liabilities of company, the revenue targets seem to come out of nowhere. When left to my own devices, the annual revenues for a 400-person company seems like a pretty sizeable delta between revenue per employee and compensation for those grinding on the revenue-generating work.

Best First Job Ever!

I worked at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

-Unbelievably welcoming, inclusive, and fun culture
    -Lots of professional development opportunities
    -Great place for client interfacing and travel opportunities
    -Great pay, vacation, and benefits for a first job
    -Good management experience for young professionals (managing own team by 24)
    -The company has lots of young professionals who set great examples of how to carry yourself professionally

Cons

-The work can get a little monotonous and repetitive leading to long days
    -They do not promote early giving you little incentive to work harder than usual

Advice to Management

-Find ways to outsource follow-up... it's pretty boring

Great first job after college. Lacks diversity.

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Really fun work environment. Young coworkers, good work life balance. Very good trainings and exposure to team-oriented working processes. Transparent promotion track.

Cons

Not diverse. Especially for San Francisco, supposedly the epicenter of diversity in the bay area. Very monogamous frat-like culture and people. Not much incentive to perform exceedingly well since promotion track is set and based on tenure.

Advice to Management

Hire more diverse employees to stay innovative and competitive. Give incentives for employees to go the extra mile on projects (recognition, bonuses, etc).

Young and fun company but not a great career choice. If you are looking for consulting, look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Experienced Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is great as the job isn't difficult at all and long hours aren't expected. The salary is relatively fair for what the job entails.

Cons

Hardly any skills learned are transferable, promotions are based almost solely on tenure and not ability, company only hires out of college and promotes within the company which leads very little diversity, perks are almost non-existent (except fruit and coffee), 401k match is low and health benefits are the bare minimum

Advice to Management

The company is built using a model of hiring only college grads to do easy, grunt work and call it "consulting", which it is most definitely not. This model works for Triage and is profitable so it wont be changing anytime soon. My advice would be to put more importance on skills and ability when promoting from within as opposed to simply time at the company.

Triage Consulting Group Photos