Triage Consulting Group

Updated 27 February 2015
3.6

Triage Consulting Group CEO Brian Neece
Brian Neece

Pros
  • Triage provides its employees with an excellent work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Tons of fun stuff--happy hours, teambuilding, paid volunteer time, team events (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • and you write and mail off close to a thousand letters to insurance companies (in 11 reviews)

• Lack of diversity and recruiting to fit a mold (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

64 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great opportunity for college grads

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Accelerated career track: Most of your first year at Triage is spent learning (how to use our Access database, billing guidelines, industry information, client perspective). For me, that didn't mean just making phone calls all day, but everyone has a different experience based on your project mix. From 12-21 months you are given more client-facing responsibilities and get to train/manage newer employees. From 21 months on (if you have gotten solid evaluations) you are leading your own team. I don't think I could have gotten to a project manager role this quickly at many other jobs out of school. And I rarely call insurance companies anymore...

The people: I've made great friends that I'll keep for life. I've made great connections with people that moved on to other companies (built-in networking). There are very few people that I've not enjoyed working with.

No 'politics': Until Manager promotions, which are 5 years in and only affect a handful of people, you don't need to pull any House of Cards moves to succeed. If you are good to work with and produce a good work product, you will be promoted - simple as that.

Cons

Diversity?: This is a common subject in reviews lately so I should touch on it. I'm not a minority, but I'm not from an upper middle class, greek, sports background. Trust me when I say you can find your people no matter what your background is. I think we aim to hire younger, ambitious, friendly, and capable people, and that's part of why our culture is so great. Not sure this is the diversity crisis it's painted to be; I would chalk it up to the immaturity of some recent college grads. A lot of our events end with/focus on drinking beer, but I don't see that as very different from my friends' companies...

Burnout: If you aren't willing to put in the time on the front end to learn the work, you probably won't stay long enough to be Senior and reap the benefits (proj management experience, great pay for the hours worked). For most people this is their first job out of college so I would think this is a standard concept...

Merit: If you are a high performer, you are rewarded with more work (which can be great experience/exposure) but no extra pay and few perks. This works for the ambitious go-getters but I know it rubs some people the wrong way. There is a lingering feeling of being replaceable at any time (and it's mostly true, a result of the hiring model) which also makes some high performers uncomfortable.

Some employees will always complain/push for more from you, which is probably necessary for an organization to move forward. However, when something can't happen, we at least appreciate when you justify why and show some transparency. Often there is a business reason that isn't obvious to us and whenever you communicate your organizational perspective in a clear way, you earn trust with your employees. This happens sometimes, but the more the better.

Also, Yammer is pretty weird.

Triage is a great place to start one's career with strong career development opportunities and an amazing culture.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to manage a team early in your career and overall career development opportunities.
    Strong work/life balance.
    Team-oriented culture that is a fun place to work.
    I made lifelong friends at Triage.
    Company was a great springboard into a top business school and a rewarding career in Healthcare post-MBA.

Cons

The work of a first year associate can be monotonous.
    Compensation is lower than most consulting opportunities (was the case in 2011), but there is a generous PTO policy and better balance than industry norm.
    Depending on the project, there can be a significant amount of travel.

Keep up the great work!

Triage is a good company made great by amazing people. The company culture is fun and exciting.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Triage really values work/life balance which is readily apparent through their vacation and travel policies.

Cons

The work can be a little mundane but that is the nature of the job and the type of services they offer to their clients.

Best First Job Ever!

I worked at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

-Unbelievably welcoming, inclusive, and fun culture
    -Lots of professional development opportunities
    -Great place for client interfacing and travel opportunities
    -Great pay, vacation, and benefits for a first job
    -Good management experience for young professionals (managing own team by 24)
    -The company has lots of young professionals who set great examples of how to carry yourself professionally

Cons

-The work can get a little monotonous and repetitive leading to long days
    -They do not promote early giving you little incentive to work harder than usual

-Find ways to outsource follow-up... it's pretty boring

Great opportunity: responsibility early, multi-functional opportunities, great work-life balance/people/culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large Responsibility Early: Dependent upon your performance, within 21 months you could be leading a project with multiple direct reports. You will learn to manage employees and connect long-term goals co-created with senior management to short-term workflows of your project.
    Multi-functional opportunities: Very easy for person to become involved in areas outside of day-to-day consulting work. I was lead of recruiting at my undergrad and a liaison to one of the company's non-profit partners. This was in addition to the day-to-day work I did for my client. Other opportunities also include: Green Squad (leading in-office sustainability), internal consulting (growing knowledge base and improving software/processes), training (lead internal training for newer associates), etc. (check website for more)
    Work-life balance/people/culture: Probably the most distinguishing factor. All of these are perfect for where I was coming out of college. Only 45 hours/week in office, the people that work here are all fun and often go out together outside of work, and the culture is one of creating a one-stop shop of professional development coupled with a social employee-base that could replace your current friends (if you want it to).
    All of the above means that there are many opportunities to either stay or move onto a new endeavor in a variety of industries/functions, and you will enjoy your time while you are here.

Cons

*Sometimes work can become repetitive and mundane (especially some of the stuff you will be doing early on in your career).
    *Specialized in one area of healthcare. Stay too long you could think that you're pigeon-holed into hospital administration.
    *Compensation is same for all employees. While attempts have been made to recognize great work from select individuals, sometimes it just feels like management is checking the box on "recognizing their employee[s]".

Try to continue becoming more transparent with success of company and sharing in spoils. While it'll never get to disclosing liabilities of company, the revenue targets seem to come out of nowhere. When left to my own devices, the annual revenues for a 400-person company seems like a pretty sizeable delta between revenue per employee and compensation for those grinding on the revenue-generating work.

Young and fun company but not a great career choice. If you are looking for consulting, look elsewhere.

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is great as the job isn't difficult at all and long hours aren't expected. The salary is relatively fair for what the job entails.

Cons

Hardly any skills learned are transferable, promotions are based almost solely on tenure and not ability, company only hires out of college and promotes within the company which leads very little diversity, perks are almost non-existent (except fruit and coffee), 401k match is low and health benefits are the bare minimum

The company is built using a model of hiring only college grads to do easy, grunt work and call it "consulting", which it is most definitely not. This model works for Triage and is profitable so it wont be changing anytime soon. My advice would be to put more importance on skills and ability when promoting from within as opposed to simply time at the company.

Great first job after college. Lacks diversity.

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Really fun work environment. Young coworkers, good work life balance. Very good trainings and exposure to team-oriented working processes. Transparent promotion track.

Cons

Not diverse. Especially for San Francisco, supposedly the epicenter of diversity in the bay area. Very monogamous frat-like culture and people. Not much incentive to perform exceedingly well since promotion track is set and based on tenure.

Hire more diverse employees to stay innovative and competitive. Give incentives for employees to go the extra mile on projects (recognition, bonuses, etc).

Solid place to work

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group

Pros

Good corporate culture, good pay.

Cons

Pretty boring, very tedious work.

Spice up the work a little!

Fun people, great start, mediocre work

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone will say the people, and it's true. You get to work with people your age (recent college graduates) and you make a lot of friends in the process. Compared to other friends I have a great work/life balance (for the most part just working 9 hour days). We also have a great vacation policy, can't beat starting with 4 weeks/year. It appears to be a great first job out of college, you will get a ton of professional experience. Most of the people leaving the company seem to have good career/graduate school options following.

Cons

The salary could be higher, it is not very competitive. Most of my peers started out making around $70K, Triage starts you out around $60K now (with bay area rent you definitely feel the pressure at times, forget about saving money!!). You also are not compensated for travel time which is very frustrating. The work itself is pretty mundane and repetitive (it's pretty unavoidable), but the people you work with make up for it. There is also a huge amount of focus on hours worked, despite being paid salary, it can seem a little rigid.

Bump up the salary to compete with other bay area employers in addition to salaries earned by similar graduates of top universities. Pay employees for travel time.

Meh

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Triage Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people. great resume builder right out of college. opportunities for advancement come quickly in first 2 years. manage your own team relatively quickly. if you can get a mentor to vouch for you, there are cool opportunities to pursue what you are interested in.

Cons

where to begin?
    - not reimbursed for travel time. flight to the client site at 6am gets there around 830am. You are then still expected to work a full 9 hour day as if it were your idea to take that flight.
    - not treated like an adult. you are salary but someone will review whether or not your rear has been in the chair for 9 hours every day (seriously, this comes up in your annual review). work faster than your coworkers? have superb reviews and high ratings on work ethic? doesn't really matter, still got to sit there for 9 hours.
    - not merit based. you can be the best employee of your year and you won't get promoted any faster. they don't care to retain top talent... if people stay 2.5-3 years, they are happy.

Give your top performers a reason to stay. Guiding principles (internal, peer voted awards) are not enough - as someone who has won one, it's a popularity contest and all based on reputation. Make these awards mean something and don't give one to 10% of the company every single year.

Triage Consulting Group Photos