TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag(in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management(in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable(in 7 reviews)

Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Newton, MA (US)

Pros- Free snacks
    - Helpful and friendly people
    - Huge data
    - Learn a lot of tools

Cons- Not many work to do.
    - Lack of motivation.

Never the same day twice; always a new challenge.

Director (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsTA employees are encouraged to get things done; speed wins. Our CEO acknowledges in moving quickly, we'll break s---t, but we'll fix it the next time around and be better for doing so. Everyone is smart, motivated, and wants to help each other. Lots of perks and it's clear that the executive team cares about its employees. Seems like a great place to grow your career, skills and earn a competitive salary doing so.

ConsPoor internal tools and infrastructure to manage so many moving parts. While there are initiatives to improve this, it can be a bit frustrating to get on board and hit the ground running without spending time on things already asked and answered.

Nov 14, 2013

We're proud of our smart, motivated, and helpful employees---and agree that we offer excellent career development to grow your career (with competitive salaries and benefits!) We're also glad that ... More

Busy

ProsBenefits, compensation, oh and the company is a rocket ship.

ConsThe company grew faster than its infrastructure so all its supporting systems are unable to scale for the growth it has had/is planning. Management needs to recognize that speed wins can only get you so far and you need to fix the foundation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more people from the outside that have done this in bigger companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

glad I made the move

Prosgreat leadership, free development classes (including language class), vibrant culture

Conssometimes feel too siloed in own group

Nov 14, 2013

We also love our new Learning and Development options--including the language classes. We have a ton of new classes offered all the time, across the globe. And, we agree that our culture is pretty ... More

Financially rewarding, but not a lot of fun.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company continues to grow and has products that put it ahead of the curve in the travel space. It continues to innovate and diversify it's products and has placed itself in a position to continue to do well.

Compensation and benefits/perks can be very good.

ConsIt can be a very political environment, you need to have relationships with the right people to succeed in the long term. Often management is not concerned with how things are done, just that they get done. This trickles down the chain and employees are often viewed as resources to achieve a goal regardless of the impact to them. In many groups you either sink or swim and if you sink you can get thrown under the bus and can become the scape goat for a unsuccessful project or initiative.

I also agree with a previous reviewer that noted that TripAdvisor is keenly aware of glassdoor reviews and strongly encourages current successful employees (those that just got promoted, had a good experience, etc) to write positive reviews on working at Trip. While there may be nothing technically wrong with this, the approach seems odd for a company based on unbiased reviews.

Dec 05, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. We're thrilled that you found TripAdvisor financially rewarding. We're also pleased that you think we build cool products that are ahead of the curve--we think so too! We're ... More

Growing company, great leadership.

Manager (Current Employee) Needham, MA (US)

ProsGrowing company, great leadership. A place where stock actually matters.

ConsNot as friendly with flex time or working from home as other companies I have been at.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Nov 14, 2013

Glad to hear that you're a fan of our company and leadership--thank you! Thanks also for your feedback on flex time and working from home. We pride ourselves on having a flexible working culture and ... More

Great place to work- great product, great people and company commitment to careers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsVery smart people. Company commitment to developing employees and their careers. Great product with strong, entrepreneurial leadership. Exciting workplace.

ConsFast moving. Don't come out TripAdvisor if you want a slow moving, relaxed company. The dress code is relaxed- but be prepared to move fast. Speed wins isn't just a motto.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to balance the start-up feel while the size of the company increases. Though more infrastructure will be needed over time, the critical view of bureaucracy makes TripAdvisor unique- and it works.

Work at TripAdvisor

Prossmart and innovative people to work with
    diverse and interesting projects to work on
    Risk taking environment---great opportunities to test new programs/ideas

Conscommute can be difficult
    work/life balance can suffer at times

Advice to Senior ManagementAs evolve, keep the innovative "feel/tone" of a small company

Great place for great experience

Human Resource Department (Current Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

Prosmore project to get more experience.
    speed up!
    very good benefit and flexible

Consif the local website would be more localization, that may be better impact of branding in China.

Advice to Senior Managementgreat company, great experience

Super Place to Work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsLots of opportunities, smart and innovative employees, successful company, constant encouragement to learn and develop.

ConsAt times a bit demanding. Sometimes there is too much emphasis on Speed Wins.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Continue to recognize talented employees and reward them appropriately.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!