TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag(in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management(in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable(in 7 reviews)

Not bad, but could do better

Account Manager (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsGood perks - healthcare, travel allowances, leisure subsidies and free fruit

ConsChaotic structure, and ongoing disconnect between project management, customer facing teams and the consumers who use their services

Advice to Senior ManagementStart seating development teams and project management teams together so that they can resolve problems on the spot and stop the culture of isolation and prioritisation that ensures that simple issues take months to resolve.

Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Newton, MA (US)

Pros- Free snacks
    - Helpful and friendly people
    - Huge data
    - Learn a lot of tools

Cons- Not many work to do.
    - Lack of motivation.

Never the same day twice; always a new challenge.

Director (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsTA employees are encouraged to get things done; speed wins. Our CEO acknowledges in moving quickly, we'll break s---t, but we'll fix it the next time around and be better for doing so. Everyone is smart, motivated, and wants to help each other. Lots of perks and it's clear that the executive team cares about its employees. Seems like a great place to grow your career, skills and earn a competitive salary doing so.

ConsPoor internal tools and infrastructure to manage so many moving parts. While there are initiatives to improve this, it can be a bit frustrating to get on board and hit the ground running without spending time on things already asked and answered.

Nov 14, 2013

We're proud of our smart, motivated, and helpful employees---and agree that we offer excellent career development to grow your career (with competitive salaries and benefits!) We're also glad that ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy

ProsBenefits, compensation, oh and the company is a rocket ship.

ConsThe company grew faster than its infrastructure so all its supporting systems are unable to scale for the growth it has had/is planning. Management needs to recognize that speed wins can only get you so far and you need to fix the foundation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more people from the outside that have done this in bigger companies.

glad I made the move

Prosgreat leadership, free development classes (including language class), vibrant culture

Conssometimes feel too siloed in own group

Nov 14, 2013

We also love our new Learning and Development options--including the language classes. We have a ton of new classes offered all the time, across the globe. And, we agree that our culture is pretty ... More

Great place to work- great product, great people and company commitment to careers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsVery smart people. Company commitment to developing employees and their careers. Great product with strong, entrepreneurial leadership. Exciting workplace.

ConsFast moving. Don't come out TripAdvisor if you want a slow moving, relaxed company. The dress code is relaxed- but be prepared to move fast. Speed wins isn't just a motto.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to balance the start-up feel while the size of the company increases. Though more infrastructure will be needed over time, the critical view of bureaucracy makes TripAdvisor unique- and it works.

Work at TripAdvisor

Prossmart and innovative people to work with
    diverse and interesting projects to work on
    Risk taking environment---great opportunities to test new programs/ideas

Conscommute can be difficult
    work/life balance can suffer at times

Advice to Senior ManagementAs evolve, keep the innovative "feel/tone" of a small company

Growing company, great leadership.

Manager (Current Employee) Needham, MA (US)

ProsGrowing company, great leadership. A place where stock actually matters.

ConsNot as friendly with flex time or working from home as other companies I have been at.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Nov 14, 2013

Glad to hear that you're a fan of our company and leadership--thank you! Thanks also for your feedback on flex time and working from home. We pride ourselves on having a flexible working culture and ... More

It all comes down to your manager"

Sales Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat brand, great concept and great industry to work in.

ConsMany of the managers I have come across are not qualified as 'managers' - to coach, mentor, challenge and grow their staff.

Some managers are intimidated by smart employees and deal with this by micro-managing.

Employees are not held responsible for deadlines or delivery or work.

As the company has grown, global policies have been implemented across operations, sales, pricing etc. that do not fit with specific market needs and way of working.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having favourites, don't be intimidated by smart staff below you and be proactive in managing your team members.

Nov 06, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on our global policies and manager development. We recognize that we continuously need to review and iterate on our company policies to ensure that they scale as the ... More

Just okay

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Newton, MA (US)

Pros1. Great working environment! Free snack and soda.
    2. People are friendly and like to help each other.

Cons1. Although they said that they require people to handle both front-end and back-end, they keep giving me front-end job, no chance to touch their back-end at all! Maybe because I am just an intern.
    2. My manager seems don't care about my project. He has no idea what I was doing, and even doesn't care whether I can finish it or not.
    3. Seems my team doesn't care about the intern. No welcome and farewell lunch, which is unusually compared to the other team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor some managers, although we are intern, please pay a little bit attention to us!!! We are your team member, and not the air!

Nov 06, 2013

Thanks for your feedback on our internship programs. It sounds like your experience as an intern could have been improved with more exposure to the management within your teams. This is helpful ... More

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!