TripAdvisor

Updated 18 December 2014
3.5

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 17 reviews)

• There is free lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing community and work atmosphere

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Great office culture with free lunches, snacks, and activities. Everyone seems happy to be at work and excited to be there.

Cons

Communication between departments can be difficult.

Keep on talking with your employees and focusing on the amazing culture

Almost perfect company

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy movement between teams, results driven promotions, and room for advancement. Management is very transparent. Awesome benefits.

Cons

sometimes employees are underutilized in their current role. We often hire superstars that are stuck doing tasks they find mundane. Raises are almost never over 20% even when switching roles. Base comp could be better.

Hire more appropriate candidates and lay out a clear path for advancement instead of relying on large

Great

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Great company. I had the chance to work with great people and a chance to meet some great people. I recommend it to those looking for a start!

Cons

I do not think the growth was very rapid in terms of moving up in employment. It is a great place to start, but I will not be here for 10 plus years.

Very fast moving company, a lot to learn

Former Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

You will work with very clever people and learn a lot. You always have to keep up to date on everything which is great. Management gives you quite a lot of freedom. Nice perks such as free gym membership.

Cons

Very high goals : as in most of very successful companies, goals are high which is normal. However, on my last year they became unrealistic which tends to demotivate people a lot.

Not the most social place : even if most of the people are nice, the atmosphere is not great. People rarely see each other outside of work and when there is an event organized by the social team, not even half of the employees are coming.

Goals should be high but remain reachable.
    Please make the place more sociable.

TripAdvisor among the best in tech

Former Employee - Email Marketing Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Email Marketing Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is highly valued and actually achieved, unlike many tech companies who talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

Cons

Upward growth potential, no career track per se.

Keep including us in your plans and share the successes and failings openly, as is already being done.

Good company

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Nice benefits and salary
    They have nice working environment
    Everyone is friendly

Cons

There is nothing negative about this company

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart co-workers. Great benefits and health insurance. Pretty nice office in a good location.

Cons

Salary stagnates with very minimal increments. Promotions are slow. Bonus schemes for non-sales people are meagre.

Creative professionals beware! (SmarterTravel, T.A. branch office)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Compensation was reasonably competitive at the time I was hired, and the perks are great (catered lunches, stocked kitchens, etc). Many of the people are friendly, extremely smart and passionate about their work. The CEO is a very passionate, inspiring leader.

Cons

The higher-level leadership on the creative team (in the Boston Branch office called SmarterTravel) is of the lowest quality I've come across in my career. I've had the pleasure of working with many talented creative leaders over the years, but this office employs perhaps the greatest exception in the field. There is extremely high turnover on the creative team. I would suggest that designers stay far, far away if they're interested in learning from their leaders.

Consider the source of the high turnover rate on the creative team. It's a very easy fix.

More..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company feel - they plan a lot of activities for the employees and make sure you have everything you need in house.

Cons

Low salary - they really don't pay enough for employees to be able to afford living near the office/Boston - people live hours away and commute due to low salary.

Figure it out!!

Excellent company with fantastic people, but satisfaction depends upon your role.

Former Employee - Content Specialist in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Content Specialist in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers excellent benefits, encourages personal growth, and sees genuinely invested in their employees' development and happiness. Overall, the company is comprised of whip-smart, innovative people who are fully engaged in their job and the company's success.

Cons

Adequate compensation and personal satisfaction varies from department to department. If you are an engineer, it seems you are catered to and are the top priority at the company. If you originate in a different department, however, your experience may be very different. It will also vary depending on whom is guiding your team.

Management tries very hard to maintain an open line of communication with employees and encourage innovation, but I think the "boots on the ground" employees, such as those who work on actual reviews, are often overlooked and the true potential of each individual can go unrecognized and untapped. Perhaps, more time with lower level employees would assist in strengthening that communication and open up new possibilities for innovation and growth.