TripAdvisor

Updated 17 December 2014
3.5

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 17 reviews)

• There is free lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company that is rapidly growing

Former Employee - Advertising Solutions in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Advertising Solutions in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture was great and they have a lot of young employees. One of the benefits for full time employees is they get 4 "summer Fridays" during July or August.

Cons

They are growing quickly, and they can't hire fast enough. Therefore current employees are left with a lot of work, and sometimes long hours.

So much potential but unhealthy work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun subject matter, consumer recognized brand

Cons

Poor talent management, micro-management from the top leads to lack of empowerment, limited career growth opportunities, lack of integrity and honesty throughout management, very poor recruitment.

Generally - the company is laughably out of touch with current employees and culture - just one read of all the HR responses on Glassdoor touting access to the CEO and that Trip still operates nimbly and like a start up highlights this complete lack of understanding ...It's NOT a start up anymore - it's a 1500+ person company, and the CEOs door is NOT open - and nor should it be. That's the whole POINT of management in large companies, something that Trip now is.

Trip was once a great company but unfortunately, it has not scaled well. First step in solving this is to stop pretending that all 1500+ employees have access to the CEO to give feedback and stop implying that it's the employees fault the company is poorly run. Listen to the reviews and use the feedback to make some speedy changes to your people management.

Create significantly more oversight of senior management to ensure integrity and honesty in upper ranks. Recognition for projects well done not properly distributed and not accurately attributed to key contributors creates mistrust and low morale. Invest in management programs to build leaders within the company and train current managers to professional status. Invest in support teams for your leaders.

Good place for a starting engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

--Development--
    For engineers who are just entering the workforce, TripAdvisor is an awesome place to start a career. The mandate of full-stack development allows engineers to gain crucial experience on many common, though somewhat antiquated, coding frameworks. At TripAdvisor, there are plenty of examples of winning strategies and failing strategies. Observant engineers will learn as much about what not to do in software development as they will about what to do, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Experience in both frontend and backend development, along with guidance from talented fellow engineers, will set engineers up well for their next employment jump.

--Benefits--
    TripAdvisor employees get a $250 once per year personal travel bonus to help compensate a hotel stay or plane ride. The medical package is good for single employees and decent for employees with families. There is free lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

--Culture--
    There are a lot of very smart people, engineering and otherwise, who are social, friendly, and inviting of newcomers.

Cons

--Environment --
    TripAdvisor prides itself on moving quickly, our motto is "Speed Wins". Sadly, that motto is more often used to justify making poor design decisions to quickly finish small projects than on identifying new trends within the industry and acting on them. As a result, many sections of the codebase are in disrepair. Poor code from previous projects often hinders developers' ability to achieve the goals of their current projects and are frustrating to encounter on a deadline. Upper-management is also reluctant to spend money and man-power fixing problems that slow down development.

--Compensation--
    TripAdvisor is a good place to start a career, but it is not a good place to continue one. Hard work is rarely rewarded and the pay raises are relatively flat. Last year's bonus cycle brought modest pay raises that were about on-par with cost of living increases. The realization that new hires are compensated on par with or better than employees who have been around and know the codebase creates morale problems. Many engineers here take this is a signal from management that unseasoned engineers are worth as much as current engineers and that career advancement is limited.

--Benefits--
    Although the company has offices around the world, engineers are discouraged from visiting them. It isn't that the benefits here are bad, it's that there is nothing that really stands out.

Prove to employees that we are worth keeping around.

Great people to work with - Terrible management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Good work-life balance
    Friendly colleagues
    Free lunches 3 times/week and free snacks

Cons

HR is corrupted. Even if you provide evidence that your manager is being unfair, plays favorites, manipulates official documents (eg. performance reviews), creates a hostile environment by talking behind your back with your team mates (and is caught doing so), HR does NOTHING about it!! If you don't want to be emotionally abused or bullied, then stay away from this company, well, unless you are good friend with your manager.

Provide proper training to your HR department. What you have allowed managers do to their subordinates is outrageous! Instead of checking the stock market, take a walk in your alleys and make sure the people who made your company successful (those who've been there since the beginning!) are treated fairly and with the respect they deserve

Very stressful

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Excellent location, brilliant environment

Cons

- very stressful job
    - disrespect to sales agents
    - poor internal communication

- Treat your sales agent as a mature

TripAdvisor Response

Oct 09, 2014Director of HR

Thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at TripAdvisor. We welcome feedback as an organization, and do try to make improvements based on the ... More

SIMPLY GREAT!!!

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best professional experience of my life ... A good company where is possible to grow, learn, teach and exchange ideas

Cons

I left a good company for nothing

Too bad the US senior managers seem to don't understand that business cannot be handled everywhere as in the US. Please, please, please for the future, keep in mind cultural differences, language barriers and economic situation in each country before setting targets to be reached

Not structured for scale

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free lunches 3x a week
    Complimentary snacks/beverages
    Travel reimbursement
    Nice people

Cons

When I interviewed for my role, every person I talked to emphasized that we're a "speed wins" culture. Now that I'm in the company, I realize it's just words. You can't actually do anything without approval from the CEO. Every request for new headcount requires his approval, and in some cases takes month to finalize. He often pushes back on headcount requests for reasons such as "don't agree with years of experience" or "role should be a level J, not a K". I haven't been able to figure out if he's a micro-manager or if he doesn't trust his leadership team (or both). Additionally, I believe the company is grossly inefficient. Many acquisitions have been made, and it doesn't appear as though there are any plans to integrate the companies. I understand sometimes that is done for strategic reasons, but I don't see how the company will scale with so many engineering teams, so many marketing teams, so many distinct sales organizations, etc. Sadly, everyone I've talked to who has joined TripAdvisor from larger, more established companies seems to feel the same way. The company has such a strong employment brand, but then you join and can't wrap your head around how the company has been able to be successful at all. I suspect TripAdvisor is trying to hold on to the "small company, start-up type" culture, but sometimes a company needs to accept that they're not small anymore (almost 3k people now) and needs to start acting like a larger company.

Please trust your managers to make decisions for their own orgs. If you don't trust them, find people you can trust.

Great group of people!

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great team dynamics and fun office culture. Learned a lot from people throughout the company, not just those on my team. And the pay was really good! You get a lot of independence both as a team and within your teams to work on your own project and really make a big live-site impact.

Cons

some antiquated tools and code holds development of new features back. they made great strides in improving systems like code review and others during my time there, but still room for improvement. for some another con might be the suburban, rather than city location, but i found this made the commute more pleasant (with parking being so easy).

Nice company to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere but the job it self can be very stressful and makes you to go for different opportunity.Nice people, good social life.

Cons

High level of stress, lack of written procedures.I won't advise to a friend

In this place opportunities are for everyone, so sometimes management can be very young and without experience

Stressful place, poor leadership in USA, culture of blame, London team treatment sub-standard, US team call the shots.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depends on who you're working alongside, some smart people. Limited perks of any use. Pay can be good if you're in Product, Engineering or Commercial side. A lot depends on your manager and whether they have any autonomy.

Cons

Too US centric, very little opportunities for London staff. US management poor communication (expectation that London team are telepathic and will know what has been widely communicated to US staff), culture of blame, can't manage talent, limited risk taking, over-hyped culture - basically a burn them and hire more staff attitude. Promotion to buddies and mostly US staff. Lack of appreciation of global nature of company - US lense on everything.

Get a leadership team that is made up of real leaders and not just yes men and women to the CEO. It's too much about Steve. Unless Steve says something, nothing can be decided. The CEO has a lot to answer for in terms of creating such a weak team.

TripAdvisor Response

Oct 10, 2014Director of HR

We're sorry to hear that you had a poor experience. As founder and CEO, Steve is involved in all key decisions. However, he manages by listening to all points of view and questioning things he ... More