TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer

Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 14 reviews)

• benefits are good, free lunch, outting, etc (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Internship, flexible hours, small fast teams

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, lots of fun. Located in Boston which is a nice change from the software's push towards California and NYC.

ConsNot as many perks as other tech companies with which they compete for employees, fewer intern activities than desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Could be more emphasis on employee satisfaction.

sTrongGre

Content Representative (Former Employee) Remote, OR (US)

ProsStrong core values as a company, they really value employees. You'd be hard pressed to find better benefits. They care about their product and stay true to it.

ConsEvery job has a downside, my particular job as a remote content rep was great because it gave me flexibility in my schedule, but I found that the work was a bit repetitive and hard to do in one sitting. Not a big deal, but it's a little easy to burn out on. Great for those who need to work remotely. Pay is a little low for these positions, but again, it's nice to be remote and have flexibility.

simply great!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best professional experience of my life ... A good company where is possible to grow, learn, teach and exchange ideas

ConsToo bad the US senior managers seem to don't understand that business cannot be handled everywhere as in the US ...

Advice to Senior ManagementFor US senior managers: please, please, please for the future keep in mind cultural differences, language barriers and economic situation in each country before setting targets to be reached

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"LIONS FOR LAMBS" for APAC Business Listing in Singapore office

Sales Executive (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGood Company Culture, and colleagues are friendly and mature enough to work closely together.
    Company benefits are fantastics.
    Strong sales-team members.

ConsPoor Management in APAC Business Listing, no guidance, no vision, no direction, and only one way communication which management did not take any action for every challenges that sales person feedback to them.

Sales Organization is led by Regional Sales manager who did not make any single call and not knowing the product and the market condition.

Sales Structured is very un-clear internally and externally.

Favoritism is too obvious.

Management did not protect every single deal that you bring in. And in fact we always encounter lost some of the deals to 3rd party reseller who can offer more discount to the client.

Management keep hiring new sales person even the market is bad and saturated.

No career growth in the company, you will be doing the same thing for years and many years.

Commission pay-out always delayed and happened many times, and they don't see the urgency and importance to pay commission in time. what a joke, this is sales organization, every sales person are rely on commission on their living!

If you resign from the company - no holding back from the company, basically they will just accept and did not try to retain the employee. - just keep hiring new staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTripAdvisor HQ needs to review the senior management in APAC Business Listing, and also have a one to one meeting with the individual sales person on the floor to ask feedback what's the challenge and how to overcome it and how to make it better.

a really unpleasant place to work

Prosbright people, good benefits and perks, free lunches, games, fairly relaxed atmosphere

Consterrible middle and upper management - elitist, rule by fear
    poor communication
    blame is the name of the game
    unprofessional HR - nothing is confidential
    morale is very low and declining still
    favouritism is obvious and shameless
    too much middle management
    the reality of TripAdvisor as described in the interview process is not what you get once you're in
    If you are an engineer at TripAdvisor you're gold, if not, be prepared to update your resume/CV soon
    Quickly becoming a corporate culture with all the negative implications that implies

Advice to Senior ManagementLess arrogance is needed, stop rewarding or ignoring bad behaviour. Take time to understand who is in your management team and ask if they are really adding any value - or actually doing anything at all, for that matter. Speed Wins is not a healthy motto for ALL departments. People are leaving in droves for a reason - perhaps you should look into why?

Fast paced, self-driven, flexible and fun

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

Prosflexible work schedule, interesting and broad engineering work will keep you interested for a long time. all sorts of perks and free snacks. people are nice and laid back (at least the people I have seen and worked with).

ConsMoves really fast, considerable amount of pressure(good or bad). It is in Newton and the new building will be even further away from the city.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes the upper management is a little bit aggressive, they should know difference between the people who try their best to meet their expectations and the people who are pretending.

great people, nice perks, extraordinarily poor management and unbelievably boring tasks

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Newton, MA (US)

Pros- There are really smart and nice people at TripAdvisor (not ALL of them, obviously). But it's nice to be able to work with, and discuss ideas with your interesting co-workers, which has made my internship a bit more tolerable!

- Cool perks, including free lunches, snacks, fruit and drink, extravagant company outings, free shuttles to Cambridge, etc

- Hackathon for interns, where you get to work on your own idea for a week.

- Get to experience first hand what "All that glitters is not gold" really means! (It does seem cool to have a line on your CV saying that you have worked on the world's largest travel site, but if you believe there is more to an internship than fat paychecks and a big name, you might be very disappointed.)

- Get an extra $5 on your wage, when you get the return-offer for the next term (but seriously, think twice about more about the `cons` before accepting it!)

Cons- HR and/or management is really poor (They left me waiting in the lobby on my first day for 3 hours because no-one, except myself, knew it was my first day. They then gave me one extra hour waiting at my workstation, which had no chair or machines, because these would come in the next hour. My demographic and personal information got messed up on tax and official documents by HR)

- The tasks are boring, dreary and poorly defined. There is nothing challenging or really interesting about the work. If you think the interview questions were a sample of the real work, you are wrong! This is by far the most boring, and intellectually useless internship I have ever done.

- The full-stack development style is pretty annoying, and it apparently makes the code base a mess! If you think this style would help you learn a bit of everything, which is exactly what I told myself into taking the offer, be assured that you would be better off picking up the tutorial from the web and teach yourself whatever it is that you want to learn, because all you would learn is mostly likely all the hacky and unmaintainable code, which you wouldn't even know was bad unless you have seen better code! This is also not a place for you if you are, like myself, not interested in spending hours tweaking some convoluted CSS/Javascript files to get things to render the way the managers want, as they keep changing their mind!

- What is worse is that managers always seem busy doing *something else* rather than providing feedback or expectations on your projects.They at times do not even seem to know what they are looking for in a project! It often seems to me that my manager does not care if the projects are finished on time, or finished at all for that matter! (Imagine you wrote piece of code, posted it up for review, and waited up to a month without receiving any feedback!) It even feels like these tasks were merely made up just to keep me entertained!

- Most engineering practices (which I cannot get into details without talking about the internal infrastructures, but think about automated-builds, version-control and other related areas) are poor, which really puzzled me because they had very smart people responsible for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you do not have any tasks for interns, please do not give us the offers in the first place. Making up some boring tasks to keep us occupied is really really "unethical"

Fantastic company to work for!

SeatGuru Content Intern (Current Employee) Newton, MA (US)

ProsI had a fantastic experience at TripAdvisor this summer! Awesome people, great, positive energy and supportive atmosphere. So many great perks and benefits to working for this awesome company.

ConsNone! I really enjoyed coming to work every day and working on cool projects with cool people. Extremely grateful for the opportunity to work at TA!

Speed wins: working for a large yet nimble company is truly satisfying

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSmart coworkers; strong positive culture; high compensation; rev-share and bonuses are top tier; lots and lots of perks and benefits.

ConsThere is a lot of effort expected (that you are very well compensated for); while above-and-beyond isn't required, certainly you'll get the most out of TripAdvisor if you're able to step up the commitment (and again, you'll be rewarded for it).

Advice to Senior ManagementSharing more long-term strategic thinking beyond the next 6-12 months would be helpful in understanding the direction of the ship.

Good employer

ProsGood compensation and the company care about employees. Engineers are treated well.

ConsFor some reason the code is unnecessarily bloated.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!