TripAdvisor Reviews

Updated 1 October 2014
3.7

TripAdvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer

Pros
  • Great work life balance, fun atmosphere, they try hard to please employees with functions and swag (in 16 reviews)

• Free lunch, unlimited free snacks, great italian coffee machines all over the bldg and refrigerators stocked with every drink imaginable (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor performers are consistently promoted due to "friendships" they have with senior management (in 9 reviews)

• So far, so good with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

if you work in a team with good managers then it's great company; if not...

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

good benefits, provided lunches, sponsored great parties, lots of employee support.

Cons

it's absolutely true that who manage your team 99% decides your life at this company. If you are lucky to be in a team with good, experienced managers who know how to reward and respect employees' work, then you are happy; If you are unfortunately fall in a team that the managers are unprofessional, then you are miserable. It was so funny that my team went through a series of org change and the managers are new to the team. Since they took over, people kept leaving. What they did accordingly was to hide as much as possible the news of people leaving, instead of clearly and openly talking to current employees. And once i told that i wanted to quit, the vice president of the team stopped talking to me, pretending that i was not in existence any more. This is not mature and unprofessional and selfish and silly.

Dec 05, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We agree that your manager hugely impacts how you feel about your job and the company overall. Given this, as we noted in an earlier response, we've worked on improving our ... More

Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Newton, MA (US)

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Free snacks
    - Helpful and friendly people
    - Huge data
    - Learn a lot of tools

Cons

- Not many work to do.
    - Lack of motivation.

Never the same day twice; always a new challenge.

Current Employee - Director  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

TA employees are encouraged to get things done; speed wins. Our CEO acknowledges in moving quickly, we'll break s---t, but we'll fix it the next time around and be better for doing so. Everyone is smart, motivated, and wants to help each other. Lots of perks and it's clear that the executive team cares about its employees. Seems like a great place to grow your career, skills and earn a competitive salary doing so.

Cons

Poor internal tools and infrastructure to manage so many moving parts. While there are initiatives to improve this, it can be a bit frustrating to get on board and hit the ground running without spending time on things already asked and answered.

Nov 14, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

We're proud of our smart, motivated, and helpful employees---and agree that we offer excellent career development to grow your career (with competitive salaries and benefits!) We're also glad that ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

Benefits, compensation, oh and the company is a rocket ship.

Cons

The company grew faster than its infrastructure so all its supporting systems are unable to scale for the growth it has had/is planning. Management needs to recognize that speed wins can only get you so far and you need to fix the foundation.

Bring in more people from the outside that have done this in bigger companies.

glad I made the move

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

great leadership, free development classes (including language class), vibrant culture

Cons

sometimes feel too siloed in own group

Nov 14, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

We also love our new Learning and Development options--including the language classes. We have a ton of new classes offered all the time, across the globe. And, we agree that our culture is pretty ... More

Financially rewarding, but not a lot of fun.

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

The company continues to grow and has products that put it ahead of the curve in the travel space. It continues to innovate and diversify it's products and has placed itself in a position to continue to do well.

Compensation and benefits/perks can be very good.

Cons

It can be a very political environment, you need to have relationships with the right people to succeed in the long term. Often management is not concerned with how things are done, just that they get done. This trickles down the chain and employees are often viewed as resources to achieve a goal regardless of the impact to them. In many groups you either sink or swim and if you sink you can get thrown under the bus and can become the scape goat for a unsuccessful project or initiative.

I also agree with a previous reviewer that noted that TripAdvisor is keenly aware of glassdoor reviews and strongly encourages current successful employees (those that just got promoted, had a good experience, etc) to write positive reviews on working at Trip. While there may be nothing technically wrong with this, the approach seems odd for a company based on unbiased reviews.

Dec 05, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. We're thrilled that you found TripAdvisor financially rewarding. We're also pleased that you think we build cool products that are ahead of the curve--we think so too! We're ... More

Not bad, but could do better

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good perks - healthcare, travel allowances, leisure subsidies and free fruit

Cons

Chaotic structure, and ongoing disconnect between project management, customer facing teams and the consumers who use their services

Start seating development teams and project management teams together so that they can resolve problems on the spot and stop the culture of isolation and prioritisation that ensures that simple issues take months to resolve.

Great place to work- great product, great people and company commitment to careers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA (US)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very smart people. Company commitment to developing employees and their careers. Great product with strong, entrepreneurial leadership. Exciting workplace.

Cons

Fast moving. Don't come out TripAdvisor if you want a slow moving, relaxed company. The dress code is relaxed- but be prepared to move fast. Speed wins isn't just a motto.

Continue to balance the start-up feel while the size of the company increases. Though more infrastructure will be needed over time, the critical view of bureaucracy makes TripAdvisor unique- and it works.

Work at TripAdvisor

I have been working at TripAdvisor as a contractor

Pros

smart and innovative people to work with
    diverse and interesting projects to work on
    Risk taking environment---great opportunities to test new programs/ideas

Cons

commute can be difficult
    work/life balance can suffer at times

As evolve, keep the innovative "feel/tone" of a small company

This is a great company!

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Speed and active company, with passion, smart people, always trying to improve itself from different perspective, trying new things, innovative, always trying to treat employee good and right. This is a company with great future

Cons

Cross-team cooperation needs to be improved. People should have sense for the whole business but not just focus on their own territory or area. Management needs to encourage people to think more broadly

none

Nov 06, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks! We think it’s a pretty excellent company, too. Thanks also for your feedback on improving cross-team communication and cooperation. As we continue to grow, it’s something that is very ... More

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!