Tulane University

www.tulane.edu

Tulane University Reviews

Updated Jul 06, 2014
Tulane University – New Orleans – “Zach Morgan and Orleans Darkwa celebrating after…”

Tulane University President and Director Scott S. Cowen

Scott S. Cowen

Pros
  • The weather in New Orleans is enjoyable, the city is very nice, and the food is the best(in 12 reviews)

• Depending on your position the work life balance is good(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I can't really think of any at the moment, Tulane is a New Orleans institution(in 6 reviews)

• Opportunities for advancement are rare, management will nickel and dime you, cut pay while increasing work responsibilities(in 3 reviews)

Great individuals but still has some of the typical quirks of an academic institution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsMany of the folks I had the pleasure to work with were genuine and passionate about their work. Individuals in leadership positions were generally good to inspirational. Many of the staff have been there for years and still gave a 110%

ConsSome pockets of poor leadership and accountability stubbornly exist. The institution as a whole is striving to move forward and embrace every changing technology but some well-trenched individuals resist if not openly rebel. Change is hard enough without people who should be helping to lead the change serving their own preservation or interest instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccountability is something that can never be in short supply. Policy and procedures are meant to guide and help with planning. It is not some unchangeable law.

Call Time Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsDecent pay for a College position. Great Flexibility in scheduling lets anyone work as they need, which allows for taking extra time to study when it's necessary.

ConsIt's cold call asks for an institution that does not always have the best reputation or relationship with it's alumni. You often be considered an annoyance and sometimes a direct representative for a person to vent their frustrations about the university at.

Great school

Prosthe working culture and benefits are great.

Consworking essentially within a bureaucracy, so things move slow and a lot of people working there do the bare minimum; talk of doing away with a LOT of the benefits that draw people to work there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tulane University is good place to work if you want to get a degree

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTuition Waiver for most of Tulane University programs are included.

ConsCentral leadership is not attune to needs of schools and centers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to schools and center that are productive

Great Place

Staff Member (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsGreat atmosphere, great working environment, Beutiful campus, New Orleans is a fantastic city, very helpful and nice colleagues. Largest employer in the city.

ConsDon't get a lot of time off, some of the older professors and staff can be unpleasant, pay is not as great as some other similar institutions

research assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

Prosgood weather, easy office culture, nice food

Consparking is not available. salaries are not high

Tulane is wonderful but there is little room to advance!

Information Systems Coordinator (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsBenefits - Tuition Waiver paid for my MBA
    The people in academia are much nicer than those in the for-profit world
    Holidays are a blessing

ConsLittle room for advancement
    Pay raises don't even cover the inflation rate
    Parking is a mess...

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation should be fair market... I could go to another university and make 10k more but I stay here because I have people in my life here now.

They do good research and interesting work, terrible management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat access to research, plenty of work to be done and people are supportive if you want to take on more tasks and assignments.

ConsReally tense work environment. Not sure what is going on with upper management but it was stressful to be around.

Less than Satisfying

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsThere was good sick and vacation time, but now they're looking at revamping and offering less sick time, and limiting time in vacation bank to less time than you can carry over now. It depends on the school as to whether the work pace is fast or slow. Depending on your position the work life balance is good.

ConsWe did not get pay raises this year and it might be another couple of years before we do. It is difficult to get promoted because it seems like candidates are already handpicked, and the job posting and interview process is just a formality. Parking is very expensive or hard to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone may not have doctorates, but it does not mean we're flunkies. Many leaders at Tulane micromanage and cause their own headaches. Staff can take you places you never imagined if you would allow.

Horrifying working environment

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsStaff in Department of Epidemiology and School of Public Health are usually nice to me

ConsNo life/working balance if you are working there. The mentor stayed 10 h / 7d every week and ridiculously FORCED me to stay here that long, too. That is crazy! Genetic and epigenetic lab work exhausted me much but the mentor still demands more. She would like me to be a genetic statistician as well. I felt it is too intense to me and left the pot immediately.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo more advice than 'never goes there!'

Worked for Tulane University? Contribute to the Community!