UMass Memorial Medical Center

Add Photos

UMass Memorial Medical Center President & CEO John O’Brien

John O’Brien

Nurse Practitioner for 7 years

Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsCo-workers, access to current medical information and protocols, salary for union workers.

ConsTurnover of leadership, top heavy with VP's all making too much money and getting bonuses off the work of their employees, no incentive to learn, salary for non-union employees. The union nurses get raises guaranteed raises and too many nurses take advantage of that. Union is very strong and therefore nurses get away with way too much with no consequences for their actions. Lack of respect and professionalism throughout the company. Too much favoritism, treatment among employees with the same jobs is not equal, some people required to work weekends and holidays and other are not.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to ideas from employees, learn the jobs of those working for you, offer more learning opportunities to those that want to learn, treat all employees equally, create job descriptions that honestly describe the position, rather than adding responsibilities (under the disguise that "things have change") after the position has been accepted.

Bad Management; Preferential treatment to Favorites

Medical Administrative Float (Current Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsCompetitive pay, great benefits, wonderful colleagues who work hard and are very supportive; people who really care about their job.

ConsManagers who give preferential treatment to favorites, including letting their favorites get away with pretty much anything, hiring them as managers, etc.

Very dedicated professionals

ProsThe organization is filled with committed and dedicated professionals who work tirelessly. The talent is amazing. The organizational potential untapped.

ConsUnprofessional behaviors and poor performance are routinely tolerated. There is considerable infighting. There are also many silos. Both of these prevents balanced decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize performance, hard work and outcomes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beware

Histology (Former Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsThe great pay! Good benefits. Lots of patients to care for.

ConsHuman Resources and Management does not support the employees as advertised on their website. They will lie and make up stories to get their point across. They have the attitude of shoot through the door first and then open it to see what is on the other side, with no care or concern whose career they kill!

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp the Human Resourses Department, from the Top down! The culture there is not one of respect for the fellow employees.

Okay if you don't want hard work to pay off

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsThey offer great benefits although paid time off is earned rather than a set amount each year. The coworkers are great and make you feel like a part of the team.

ConsThey leave positions unfilled for way to long even if it has been posted while expected people outside of the position to pick up the slack. They allow for nepotism making it really hard to effectively work and feel like you are not being held back when supervisors are allowed to promote their significant others.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the people who are working hard for you day in and day out. If someone takes on all of the responsibilites of a role and does it with a smile and comes in trying to make things better for their team and management, reward that. If you say that you promote from with in, do that. If you promise a position to someone, keep them in the loop on the status of process and be honest. Stop hiring your friends and start taking care of the people who are taking care of you.

Mismanaged finanically therefore they treat their employees terribly, especially the RNs

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsLevel 1 trama center in central ma.

ConsThey have scaled there education back for RNs because of a lack of funds.
    They do not value their employees and are trying to pull back on benefits to save money.
    Severe micromanagement and zero autonomy. Ranked the worse Emergency Dept in the state of MA. Vascular surgery dept unsafe.
    If umass had their way they would hire uneducated individuals from 3rd world country's so they would not pay them. Equivalent to sweatshop mentality of patient care.

Advice to Senior ManagementUmass was once a fabulous hospital to work and to receive medical care. I would clean house at the very top of management before it files for chapter 11. The RNs are your #1 assets.

Food Service Cateferia

Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsHalf price on food, free coffe and fountain drinks. You get to interact with a lot of people that could help you later on in life.

ConsCan get very busy. Poor management, and communications. Needs a better training program

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more often to employees.

Shrinking company with poor financial planning and lacks strong process and quality improvement."

Supervisor (Former Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsGreat experience while it was growing.

ConsIt's in debt and currently shrinking.

Decent opportunity to advance if you have the right licenses

RPSGT (Former Employee) Worcester, MA (US)

ProsThe coworkers made for a nice work atmosphere

ConsUnion vs non union sometimes created uncertainties between management and employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees with ideas on how to keep the business moving forward

Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is fair in the beginning but increases are very slow

ConsManagement does not seem to value employees, longevity or loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow employees that they are valued.

Worked for UMass Memorial Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!