UPS

2,709 Reviews
3.4
2,709 Reviews

David Abney

Pros
  • Part-time supervisor position is helpful due to possible tuition reimbursement (in 241 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 239 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 91 reviews)

• part-time but sometimes you only work for an 1 hour which total waist of time (in 165 reviews)

More Highlights

It was enriching

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mumbai

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture and brand name is the biggest pros

Cons

work life balance is not at par

Give the sales people more time on field rather than off-field

Respect to each and everyone...a good place to learn and show professionalism

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Equality, opportunities to grow up, promote from within..

Cons

Once you resign, won't be able to come again.

Manage the team

High Job Satisfaction, impartial & fair office environment, equal employment opportunity employer

Former Employee - Manager-HR in Mumbai
    Former Employee - Manager-HR in Mumbai

I worked at UPS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Transparency, Extensive communication Channels, Platform to aceess top management.

Cons

Centralized Decision making, relatively averse to public media in developing countries.

Fast track growth is required in Developing nations like India which is considered as opportunity hotspot for UPS. More penetration in Tier II & III cities, more branding, participation in public events, campus presence etc.

Great Unionized Company

Current Employee - UPS Part Time Package Handler in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - UPS Part Time Package Handler in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Starting pay is $10 an hour, I've only worked for this company 14 months and I already make $12.50.
    Hours are perfect for anyone going to school or who has a second job.
    Lower management (i.e. supervisors) is always friendly and willing to help out.
    Safe work environment
    Keeps you in shape.

Cons

Very physically challenging job.
    Higher management loves to put everything off til the last minute.
    Can take quite some time to move up in the company.

Stop making "safety" rules that slow down the process then getting angry at the workers for following them. Either I work safely or I load 500 packages per hour, but I can't do both.

Great Part Time Job

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of work schedules available, excellent benefits for a part-time position, good if you want to move up from within.

Cons

The work will put a strain on your body, just make sure that you pace yourself. Human Resources could also do a better job of communicating with employees when they put in requests for transfers, for example I was not granted an educational transfer even after completing all the required steps. I had to be the one advocating for myself and I didn't really get much help from HR when I needed them most.

Bring back the In-n-Out trucks and reward the package handlers with simple things like pizza or some food every now and then.

Great job, if you can hack it...

Current Employee - Pre-loader in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pre-loader in Tamworth, England (UK)

I have been working at UPS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great money! £9.07 an hour on a temp contract with a pay increase to ~£14/h after first three months.

Great hours! I'm on the 3:30 -7:30 shift in the morning, which in practice is more like 3 - 8, and providing you don't mind the early hours it's great!

Great workout! The 4 hours of heavy lifting combined with my circa 4 mile bike ride each way every day means I'm getting fitter by the day! No need for that gym membership anymore!

Great People! So far everyone is friendly, and even when things get tough and your supervisor starts shouting at you (It can happen during the really bad days) you know it's never meant maliciously. You might get thrown in at the deep end like I did when I first started, especially if they're several people short, but you are praised for hard work. =)

From what I hear there are plenty of opportunities to further your career at UPS, evidenced from people I have spoken to!

Cons

Can be quite daunting during your first few weeks. The way out is especially scary because they have tighter security than at the airport! X-ray scanners, metal detectors, you name it! Understandable of course, but still...

The system used (On pre-load anyway) is utter rubbish. They force all the parcels down the belt at you like there's going to be some sort of famine and take no care if you get buried under a pile of parcels.

Even if you are the most caring person in the world you will eventually stop giving a crap about handling parcels carefully. Everyone chucks and tosses things about. Okay, maybe the obviously fragile stuff they wont, but little parcels are just thrown willy nilly.

Rather than having all the parcels for pre-load forced on the pre-loaders in a 'push' system, have a 'pull' system where the workers get more parcels as they need them. Better yet, sort the parcels out beforehand onto trolleys so all the parcels for a particular van are on one trolley, so the pre-loader knows what needs to go in and isn't spending 4 hours trying to find room for stuff.

More communication between the van drivers and pre-loaders is needed. I spent a shift putting parcels into one van as per the guide I was given and when the driver turned up he made me take half of them out and put them in a different van because the drivers had a different delivery system to what was on paper! Very frustrating!

Demanding job that prepares you for greater responsibilities and positions within.

Current Employee - UPS Package Handler in Savannah, GA (US)
    Current Employee - UPS Package Handler in Savannah, GA (US)

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're overweight, YOU WILL LOSE LBS! It is demanding in that the job specifications state that you will at times have to lift packages over 70lbs. This is factual and in fact you'll be doing it quite often but that comes with the job. Persist, prevail and move forward! Pay is consistent and there will be opportunities to advance when the time is right, but the main key point in achieving greatness, is your personal attitude.

Cons

Supervisors are at times lacking in the training department because of time constraints getting packages offloaded and sorted to package cars. Some care and others don't. That's people, which requires that you, the employee, must have thick skin to deal with the daily pressures until your time to advance.

Take care of the employees, who make you look good, a little better!

Excellent Pay and Benefits

Current Employee - Revenue Recovery Supervisor
    Current Employee - Revenue Recovery Supervisor

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You cannot beat the benefits. There is no way in the world I will work anywhere else

Cons

Union runs the business and sometimes effects the productivity of the company.

No advise. We all just need team work.

Great

Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Little Rock, AR (US)

I worked at UPS part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits Pay Time off retirement

Cons

Part time peak season management

Make more full time positions

good learning

I have been working at UPS

Pros

young people, fresh atmosphere, international,

Cons

stressful, sometimes lot of hours, peak period