UPS

2,718 Reviews
3.4
2,718 Reviews

David Abney

Pros
  • Part-time supervisor position is helpful due to possible tuition reimbursement (in 248 reviews)

• Very structured organization with great benefits and hard working employees (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the biggest challenge, specifically for Management employees (in 94 reviews)

• part-time but sometimes you only work for an 1 hour which total waist of time (in 169 reviews)

More Highlights

It was enriching

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mumbai

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture and brand name is the biggest pros

Cons

work life balance is not at par

Give the sales people more time on field rather than off-field

Respect to each and everyone...a good place to learn and show professionalism

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Equality, opportunities to grow up, promote from within..

Cons

Once you resign, won't be able to come again.

Manage the team

High Job Satisfaction, impartial & fair office environment, equal employment opportunity employer

Former Employee - Manager-HR in Mumbai
    Former Employee - Manager-HR in Mumbai

I worked at UPS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Transparency, Extensive communication Channels, Platform to aceess top management.

Cons

Centralized Decision making, relatively averse to public media in developing countries.

Fast track growth is required in Developing nations like India which is considered as opportunity hotspot for UPS. More penetration in Tier II & III cities, more branding, participation in public events, campus presence etc.

Great Part Time Job

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at UPS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of work schedules available, excellent benefits for a part-time position, good if you want to move up from within.

Cons

The work will put a strain on your body, just make sure that you pace yourself. Human Resources could also do a better job of communicating with employees when they put in requests for transfers, for example I was not granted an educational transfer even after completing all the required steps. I had to be the one advocating for myself and I didn't really get much help from HR when I needed them most.

Bring back the In-n-Out trucks and reward the package handlers with simple things like pizza or some food every now and then.

Honest work (written during peak season)

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver

I have been working at UPS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a current package delivery driver I have to say that the starting pay is good in my area, the benefits are phenomenal and my co-workers/management are even better. The work done on a daily basis is demanding both physically and mentally, if you can handle that day-in day-out its a great opportunity and a truly fun job to have!

Cons

The hours can be rough sometimes, not uncommon to be done with your route and called upon to help another driver. Very stressful sometimes when learning a new route on your own, 220 stops in an unknown residential area is rough.

Keep it up, great so far!

UPS Driver

I have been working at UPS

Pros

UPS provides excellent treatment for its employees. The pay is outstanding and the benefits are ridiculous. Oh and what's that? Retirement too? I mean seriously....

Cons

It's hard work... not something that any one off the street can do. If you can get through the chaos and the I sane speed of your normal work day you will soon find that this is indeed a gregreat place to work.

Great job, if you can hack it...

Current Employee - Pre-loader in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pre-loader in Tamworth, England (UK)

I have been working at UPS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great money! £9.07 an hour on a temp contract with a pay increase to ~£14/h after first three months.

Great hours! I'm on the 3:30 -7:30 shift in the morning, which in practice is more like 3 - 8, and providing you don't mind the early hours it's great!

Great workout! The 4 hours of heavy lifting combined with my circa 4 mile bike ride each way every day means I'm getting fitter by the day! No need for that gym membership anymore!

Great People! So far everyone is friendly, and even when things get tough and your supervisor starts shouting at you (It can happen during the really bad days) you know it's never meant maliciously. You might get thrown in at the deep end like I did when I first started, especially if they're several people short, but you are praised for hard work. =)

From what I hear there are plenty of opportunities to further your career at UPS, evidenced from people I have spoken to!

Cons

Can be quite daunting during your first few weeks. The way out is especially scary because they have tighter security than at the airport! X-ray scanners, metal detectors, you name it! Understandable of course, but still...

The system used (On pre-load anyway) is utter rubbish. They force all the parcels down the belt at you like there's going to be some sort of famine and take no care if you get buried under a pile of parcels.

Even if you are the most caring person in the world you will eventually stop giving a crap about handling parcels carefully. Everyone chucks and tosses things about. Okay, maybe the obviously fragile stuff they wont, but little parcels are just thrown willy nilly.

Rather than having all the parcels for pre-load forced on the pre-loaders in a 'push' system, have a 'pull' system where the workers get more parcels as they need them. Better yet, sort the parcels out beforehand onto trolleys so all the parcels for a particular van are on one trolley, so the pre-loader knows what needs to go in and isn't spending 4 hours trying to find room for stuff.

More communication between the van drivers and pre-loaders is needed. I spent a shift putting parcels into one van as per the guide I was given and when the driver turned up he made me take half of them out and put them in a different van because the drivers had a different delivery system to what was on paper! Very frustrating!

Overall - a good company to work for, but can be demanding at times.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at UPS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, decent work life balance, decent insurance, good overall benefits and retirement (pension) plan. Really good people to work with. Plenty of opportunities to move and move up if you seriously want that.

Cons

Can get stressful at times, no vacation time from Thanksgiving thru Christmas, very Top down driven.

None

Such a wonderful place to intern.

Former Employee - Web Developer Intern in Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Web Developer Intern in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at UPS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

encouraging team mates, understand that your still a student and support you when needed at the same treat us professionally. wonderful place to learn. challenging projects that mould your technical career and make you feel confident.

Cons

pay could be better. But i think they are working on it.
    could sponsor VISA for students on F-1 so that they can continue as full-time employee

excited

Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at UPS part-time

Pros

I'm very excited to have a part time job with better benefits than any full time job I have ever had.

Cons

waking up early and being to work before 3 am is something to get used to. Balancing an on call job on top of UPS will be interesting.