US Coast Guard

US Coast Guard Reviews

Updated 31 January 2015
Updated 31 January 2015
4.1

US Coast Guard Commandant of the Coast Guard Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.
Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.

Pros
  • Free training, steady pay and benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Job security can be a great incentive, especially in these trying times (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family was the biggest drawback, missed weddings and holidays (in 15 reviews)

• There will be times you are away from home for several months at a time (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great sea going service

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits, lots of opportunities to gain valuable experience, plenty of great places to live. Small enough for you to make great friends and work w/ a lot of great people.

Cons

not allows the best leadership and crews but those are few and far between. Seems like lots of time we were recreating the wheel.

Trust your people and stop w/ the knee jerk reactions

Great career in a great organization. You won't get rich, but if you're smart and apply yourself it will pay well.

Current Employee - Engineering Project Manager in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Manager in New Orleans, LA (US)

I have been working at US Coast Guard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to control your own path and advance through the ranks as fast as your intelligence and hard work will allow. I served as enlisted and Officer. There are lots of training opportunities along the way and you will pick up money, people management and leadership skills. I have visited dozens of American port cities and Caribbean and Western Pacific Islands. My 28 years in the USCG has set me up for a great 2nd career plus I have a Cadillac pension & adequate health care coverage for life... no obamacare for me:)

Cons

The organization can and does change a lot, sometimes brought on by change of senior leadership. It is hard for the average Coastie to see it, but this change is necessary and you just have to embrace it and roll on. It is a military organization, so be prepared to move around the country every two, three or four years, so it can be difficult on the children.

Your fights to raise awareness and stamp out blights like sexual assault, workplace harassment and member suicides are a valiant fight, keep them up!

Wouldn't have changed a thing

Current Employee - Chief Petty Officer in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Chief Petty Officer in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

Great times. All the training I could ask for.

Cons

Lots of time away from home.

Civil Engineer

I worked at US Coast Guard

Pros

Great training and relatively large amount of responsibilities at an early stage in the career.

Cons

The longer you stay in the organization, the further you get away from technical jobs and move into HR or management.

GOOD TIMES

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

Gain a trade, and valuable expierence. You Get what you put into the service. College paid for and great benefits.

Cons

Very Long Hours at times. Pay can be difficult in the beginning but worth it in the long run.

No comment

Positive Experience as Civilian Intern

Former Employee - Legal Intern in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Legal Intern in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at US Coast Guard as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The culture of the office was a lot less intimidating than I expected for a military office. As a civilian they treated me with respect.

Cons

Working in a federal building had some minor annoyances related to security. Sometimes you could be late because there was a long line or incident at the security entrance.

Continue treating the civilians as equals, try to provide more opportunities and awareness of them to the public for non-military positions.

25 year member with mostly aviation background.

I worked at US Coast Guard

Pros

The people you meet and get to know and work with is amazing. The jobs are pretty rewarding. Being in aviation was a small knit feeling where you would see friends almost at every air station you visited.

Cons

Times are changing and with cutbacks, seems like reasons to stop letting service members be human. Young kids just joining are bound to make mistakes. Seems like now with a smaller budget, and the threat of getting kicked out for something stupid, lost its glamour and appeal.

Remember what it was like to start your career in the service and let the new members enjoy what the volunteered to do. Fight for new equipment and learn to stand up for the service and your troops.

24 years on active duty

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

All of my assignments were professionally challenging and I worked with some of the best people I could ever hope to meet.

Cons

Relocating every 2-4 years as been difficult.

USCG Reserve

I have been working at US Coast Guard

Pros

I have been in the USCG as a reservist for the last 2 years. Overall it has been a very positive experience. It all depends on your rate and command. But very happy to be part of something different, great resume builder and opportunity to serve my country.

Cons

Can be hard to get / stay qualified. Not as challenging as I hoped.

Better, more specific opportunities for reservists.