US Department of Defense

US Department of Defense Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

US Department of Defense CEO Chuck Hagel

Chuck Hagel

Pros
  • There are a number of policies in place that benefit work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Great job security working with the federal Government (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Requires long hours, time away from your family and lack of upward mobility (in 28 reviews)

• Salary is lower than private sector, system can be very rigid at times, but usually ok (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great internship experience! Such helpful and friendly colleagues and there is so much to learn from those around you!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslearning experience, great people, good work-life balance, easy to access

Conssecurity clearance process, male dominant setting,

I have learned a lot

ProsGreat way to meet new people and learn about the MTFs

ConsTraining, location, and room to grow

loved the people I worked with

Medical Support (Former Employee) Bremerton, WA (US)

ProsDepartmental leadership was amazing and a relaxed environments

Consavailable for advancement. stuck in that certain payscale and never qualified for the next step.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good

Program Manager (Current Employee) Edgewood, MD (US)

ProsServe my country in an important mission

ConsI have no negative comments

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice other than continue to do the right thing

Great

ProsGreat experience while working here

ConsDemanding enviornment with high stress levels

Overall good place

ProsThe work is meaningful which is a big plus. They also provide a good work life balance.

ConsThere is a severe bottle neck at the top so you can only go so far so fast. They also have a union; which is just horrible in a white collar environment.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGuaranteed pay check every 2 weeks

ConsPoor management doesn't care for workers

Used to be great place to work

Section Chief, Network Security (Current Employee) San Angelo, TX (US)

ProsHighly structured, clear expectations, higher sense of purpose/accomplishment

ConsJob security, constant budget cuts, no training, too many "additional duties" and "ancillary training requirements", have generally done a poor job integrating the military/civilian workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk. Every year we hear about how we have to reduce our budget to save money (resulting in tech refresh or training dollars being cut), yet every year we still see an orgy of spending come August/September of money we "have to spend" so it doesn't get taken out of our budget next year... and usually it is being spent last minute on stuff we really don't need. We've also gotten past the part where we can "do more with less". Senior leaders really need to do a better job of prioritizing work and eliminating the tasks that aren't that important.

Staff Officer

Staff Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsDepartment of Defense is a great place to gain experience, and at the same time, serve the country. Training and education opportunities are available for many people.

ConsExtremely poor senior management with a short-sighted view of current and future personnel requirements. Merit is not a consideration in personnel moves, which is difficult to comprehend to the uninitiated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees, retire so new people can take charge.

Great work/life balance, but professionally unfulfilling.

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros- Work/Life balance
    - Pay (in spite of stereotypes stating the opposite)
    - Benefits (i.e., vacation, sick leave, compressed schedule, etc.)

Cons- Limited ability to influence work due to contracts in place
    - Large bureaucracy
    - No mechanism in place to motivate poor performers (reliance on "horses")
    - Frustrating when ideas are squashed because contractors are really in charge

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is good, but they are beholden to the contracts that are signed and the systems that are in place. This is not the place to be if you enjoy hands on, creative, innovative work.

Worked for US Department of Defense? Contribute to the Community!