US Department of State

US Department of State Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

US Department of State Secretary of State John Kerry

John Kerry

Pros
  • See the world while serving your country (in 12 reviews)

• I worked at the Foreign Service Institute, where they train diplomats (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Foreign Service officers are then central employee core and taken care of (in 27 reviews)

• The biggest challenge is that every two years, there is a rotation of mid-level Foreign Service Officers who arrive with "attitude" (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to start career

ProsSupportive people and great networking

ConsInefficient and prone to politics

Foreign service can be very difficult, surprising lack of professionalism among some

Foreign Service Officer (Current Employee)

ProsTraveling the world, although you often do not have much say over where you go, sometimes exposed to very interesting issues, but a lot of it is boring paper pushing, varies hugely from Embassy to Embassy

ConsQuality of coworkers is not as high as expected, very difficult to get anything done in such a huge bureaucracy, you can be sent anywhere in the world and told to do any job regardless of your interests or background, it can be incredibly difficult in families

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the Foreign Service entry process, so many good candidates do not make it while many mediocre ones do, do a better job of weeding out people who are terrible managers or otherwise incompetent

Not Bad

Fulbright Researcher (Former Employee) Mumbai

ProsI was on a Fulbright fellowship which was really sweet. I traveled to India and got to do a lot of cool stuff that I wanted to. And there was very little oversight so you could be your own boss.

ConsForeign countries are difficult to live in. Really think about what you want to achieve during Fulbright. Also, I don't speak much Hindi so I had trouble to communicate with co-workers. Kind of odd review of state department huh!

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Family Member Employment

Community Liaison Office Coordinator (Former Employee) Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

ProsLiving and working overseas is great! The kids attended excellent international schools and we had the opportunity to explore the world. Full time family member employment came with full benefits, including vacation, sick leave, etc.

ConsAs a trailing spouse, every time your spouse transfers you need to find a new job. When you get to a new post, there may be many opportunities or none. You may have to wait up to a year for someone to leave post so that you can apply for a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for family member employment at each post. Regular part-time jobs with benefits during school hours would be especially appreciated.

Great experience, exciting environment.

Public Affairs Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsIt was a very stimulating environment to work. There were lots of opportunities for interns to visit important places and hear important people. I was able to attend live press briefings at both the White House and the State Dept. Great exposure to the world of International Affairs. Everyone in my office was so friendly and welcoming, and I was given lots of responsibility.

ConsThe application is drawn out because of the security clearance, but definitely worth it.

Had a very intensive and progressive experience, while working with US State Department for the last 16 years

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Dushanbe (Tajikistan)

ProsGreat team of local employees and very friendly job environment

ConsPretty much low salary for the senior staff positions

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to reward your staff more often for all their job done, especially during the salary freeze

Passport Specialist, I adjudicate applications for processing passports

Passport Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsSomething different everyday. It is definitely a challenge everyday.

ConsKeeping Focused on everything you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more Patience with employees

Former Foreign Service Officer (Generalist)

Foreign Service Officer (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsExcellent training, benefits and opportunity to contribute at senior levels when serving overseas in smaller nations. Especially enjoyed working in the Africa Bureau, where the Department has a lot of autonomy in conducting US foreign policy

ConsThe promotion system, like the military, is stultified and seniority based. On the occasions I had to work with political appointees, I found them difficult and generally unqualified.

Great experience living overseas

Foreign Service Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsExperience different cultures and countries. See the world while serving your country.

ConsThird world locations, tough living conditions.

Embassy Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree housing, manageable hours, good mentors

Consnone that I can think of

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!