US Department of State

Updated 19 August 2014

3.9

US Department of State Secretary of State John Kerry
John Kerry

Pros
  • See the world while serving your country (in 12 reviews)

• I worked at the Foreign Service Institute, where they train diplomats (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Foreign Service officers are then central employee core and taken care of (in 27 reviews)

• The biggest challenge is that every two years, there is a rotation of mid-level Foreign Service Officers who arrive with "attitude" (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to start career

Pros

Supportive people and great networking

Cons

Inefficient and prone to politics

Foreign service can be very difficult, surprising lack of professionalism among some

Current Employee - Foreign Service Officer
    Current Employee - Foreign Service Officer

Pros

Traveling the world, although you often do not have much say over where you go, sometimes exposed to very interesting issues, but a lot of it is boring paper pushing, varies hugely from Embassy to Embassy

Cons

Quality of coworkers is not as high as expected, very difficult to get anything done in such a huge bureaucracy, you can be sent anywhere in the world and told to do any job regardless of your interests or background, it can be incredibly difficult in families

Change the Foreign Service entry process, so many good candidates do not make it while many mediocre ones do, do a better job of weeding out people who are terrible managers or otherwise incompetent

Not Bad

Former Employee - Fulbright Researcher  in  Mumbai
    Former Employee - Fulbright Researcher in Mumbai

Pros

I was on a Fulbright fellowship which was really sweet. I traveled to India and got to do a lot of cool stuff that I wanted to. And there was very little oversight so you could be your own boss.

Cons

Foreign countries are difficult to live in. Really think about what you want to achieve during Fulbright. Also, I don't speak much Hindi so I had trouble to communicate with co-workers. Kind of odd review of state department huh!

none.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Pros

You're making US foreign policy. What could be more gratifying? I've really considered myself lucky to be at State.

Cons

It's a high pressure environment. Sometimes it's hard to find the right work-life balance. State can also have a highly competitive environment.

MGT does a great job. No major complaints. When other federal agencies were laying off employees, our management worked hard to keep us employed.

My experience at DoS has had its highs and lows. Living overseas was the highlight.

Current Employee - InformATion Programs Officer  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - InformATion Programs Officer in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

Benefits: Health and medical coverage, federal retirement benefits, paid leave, and a chance to see the world and experience different cultures are major benefits of a career in the U.S. Foreign Service. Overseas benefits include paid housing or a housing allowance and paid education for dependent children between K-12.

Additional Benefits: Tax free housing overseas, tax free educational allowance, etc. (See Benefits on our website for more information.) website is careers.state.gov.

Any Foreign Service Specialist hired after October 1, 2013, who demonstrates FSI-tested Arabic language ability, will receive a one-time recruitment bonus.

Cons

A large bureaucratic society - sometimes comes across as cold and uncaring.

Excellent summer internship experience abroad in Rome, Italy. It was both challenging and rewarding.

Current Employee - Public Affairs Intern  in  Rome (Italy)
    Current Employee - Public Affairs Intern in Rome (Italy)

Pros

- Networking opportunities are fantastic. I not only learned about the benefits of working for the Foreign Service, but about the pros and cons of working in other federal agencies, like the FBI and CIA.
    - Working abroad for a summer will look amazing on your resume, especially as a State Department intern.

Cons

- No real opportunity for a job after the internship ends - you still have to take the test, with no benefits or advantages.
    - You must make the most out of the internship and be a self-starter. You may not always have things to do.

- Pay the interns! Or at least provide some sort of compensation in Western Europe, like housing.

Great place to work

Pros

Interesting subject matter, stability, life-work balance

Cons

Heavy bureaucracy in moving papers

An excellent learning experience, albeit unpaid.

Former Employee - Collections  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Collections in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

I had a great time learning about the operations and history of the State Department. It also had the added benefit of being tailored towards the industry I wanted to work in (museums), which you wouldn't normally think of State having. The employees I worked with were kind and extraordinarily helpful, and the office I worked in had a good mix of civil service and foreign service officers, so I was able to see both sides of the types of careers available at State. I was also able to attend a number of events focusing on the Department specifically and DC in general, which all helped my decision to seek further employment opportunities in the District.

Cons

The fact that it was unpaid was a huge con. I know that this is in large part due to factors beyond their control, but it was frustrating nonetheless. I also found the bureaucracy to be a little stifling, particularly the security clearance process. A uniform approach to clearance is all well and good, but it is a bit ridiculous for a museum intern with no criminal history and fairly minimal foreign travel to have a clearance take as long or longer than someone who was actually working with secret documents, as opposed to documents that had been declassified years ago.

Allow for more flexibility in the clearance process, and pay your interns! Expand the Pathways programs so that "normal" interns aren't left in the cold after working for free.

Soul sucker

Current Employee - Visa Specialist  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Visa Specialist in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

Good money, interesting work, friendly environment

Cons

Government work is soul sucking. No incentives, productivity is meaningless for advancement, no difference between hard workers and lazy ones when it comes to raises, etc. Terrible management and ever increasing bureaucracy that totally stifles productivity.

Stay Away!

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

The cafeteria has an excellent array of cuisines.

Cons

Management and Senior Management are incompetent.

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!