US Marine Corps

4.1 1,650 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

1,650 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Opportunity to see the world on the military's dime"
    in 39 reviews
  • "There is huge promotion potential, pay and benefits are good"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments"
    in 105 reviews
  • "Long hours and quality of life can depend on leadership/upper management"
    in 181 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great life experience has pros and cons but the overall is the value you take when you transition out!

6153 Airframe Mechanical/QAR (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe life can be difficult but the little things you learn are great advantages later in life!

Cons10% that's all I can say. The 10% refers to the percentage of staff NCO's and Officers that bring valid value to there fellow marines. It appears that once time in grade is meet the wheels fall off and 90% coast and don't invest in their junior marines.

Advice to Senior ManagementFair to Good advancement is only gained on once ability to work hard. Down side is in the Marine Corps running fast and shooting well leans to advancement more than MOS abilities. I'd like to see MOS knowledge be a bigger advancement factor.

The Best, to Serve Your Country

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time

ProsThe Title Of US Marine

ConsThere are not many cons

The few the proud.

I have been working at US Marine Corps

ProsGreat people and exciting work environment

ConsWork life balance can be mediocre at times.

The, few, the proud, the MARINES

E5 - Marines - Sergeant (Former Employee)
M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBy far the best time and experience of my life. I joined when I was 17 and spent 6 years in the Marine Corp. If you work hard an follow orders you will advance. The camaraderie is second to none. I had the pleasure of serving with Gen James Mattis while assigned to Kilo 3\3. He was a Captain at the time and even then was one hell of a leader and Marine.

ConsThe only con is you must expect to be deployed for long periods of time. It takes a real commitment and you and your family must be ready for some serious sacrifices.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the best...

Love-Hate

Embarkation/Logistics Specialist (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, NC (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNetworking, Benefits, Secure pay, Responsibility

ConsMicromanaged, Less family time, Bad Leadership, Promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the promotion system. Indeed we are all riflemen, BUT we are not all infantry anymore. Too many time I had to step up because my supervisor did not have any knowledge. You'll have unfit people mentally and physically slip through the cracks and get promoted. In some cases instead of helping those around you, leadership will look after themselves. Instead of thanking those that help accomplish the mission, the highest rank in the group that didn't lift a finger will be rewarded. If a person does not like you whether its for good reasons or no reasons at all, they will have a personal vendetta against you. Not realizing that they can ruin you're whole life even after enlistment. Sometimes you'll have great leadership that will lead you to not only become a great Marine, but a great man or woman. But real leadership is pretty rare. You do get to travel, but it's not what you believe it is. Depending on what MOS you have in the Marine Corps it may carry over and help you if you so decide to become a civilian and work the same field you did in the corps. I advise that you take advantage of the education WHILE still enlisted, as soon as you are in the fleet. Even if you don't believe school is for you. Because you never know what will happen after your 1st enlistment and I know most people that didn't want to go to college, ended up going and pursuing more education to get ahead. It's a humbling experience for some. Marine Corps is a business. They're going to take everything out of you no matter how long you decide to stay. So you better take everything out of it, like the benefits and information that they provide you. For example: education, MSG, Officer Candidate School, classes and courses for your MOS, financial classes, investments, etc. There is a plethora of things the Marine Corps can provide you for a better future. It is up to you to find out more on these things. Most of all make the best of your experience. Everyone's experiences varies depending on your leadership, just like any other career or job.

One of the best decisions I made in my life and continues to guide me in my decisions to this day.

Meteorological and Oceanographic Analyst Forecaster (Current Employee)
Okinawa (Japan)

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe skills and traits that you learn in the Marine Corps are invaluable. Even at the lower ranks, you still gain more experience and leadership skills than those who complete 5 years of college.

ConsPhysically and mentally demanding to say the least. Different occupations have different promotion rates, so don't be surprised to see someone who has been in less time, some waaayyy less time, than yourself get promoted ahead of you because of their specific job.

A life expierence

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Prosthrough my time in the marines i have learned and expiernced a lot, depending on the typed of individual you are will decide how much learn and how well you do.

Consdepending on where you go,some individuals you meet are not so keen on helping you. as well be prepared to be away from your loved ones for a while.

One of the few....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 10 years

ProsChallenging, training, benefits, being one of the few.

ConsLong hours, family separation, tough conditions.

The Most Rewarding Job Ever

Infantry Squad Leader (Former Employee)
Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLeadership, teamwork and technical competency were excellent. Enormous pride in all that is accomplished. The experience had a positive influence on my life and the choices I made. The experience made me into a superior performer when compared to others who never served. Life long friendships. Very challenging work environment. No place like it.

ConsFrequent deployments make family life very challenging. You may have to "saddle up" at a moments notice and drop everything, including family. No place to have a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not allow the PC crowd to influence the tradition. Strengthen the standards! Be more aggressive in removing the non-performers.

Outstanding and wonderful experience.

E5 - Marines - Sergeant (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 8 years

ProsJob certainty, steady pay check, travel, experience, room for growth

Conshard way of life, early and late days at work, and no over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep leading by example.

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Marine Corps reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for US Marine Corps CEO General James F. Amos. All 1,650 reviews are posted anonymously by US Marine Corps employees.