US Marine Corps

Updated Jul 31, 2014

4.2 1,971 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 52 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments (in 127 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired (in 220 reviews)

More Highlights
1,971 Employee Reviews

Had a great experience, has a few flaws.

Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, job security as long as you stay out of trouble. Great opportunity to learn leadership skills, communication skills, and endless road for success and maturity. Great opportunity to see the world as you learn great skills for the outside world.

ConsDon't like people in your business Military is not for you. Employer has every aspect of your life in their scope, from marriage, to family plans, to car buying. If you don't have a plan, be ready to take a class. Also mass punishments for the failures of others is a constant. After ten years of serving, getting DUI training several times a year became a prime example of "beating a dead horse". No matter what training or counseling you do, there's always the bad apples. Itcan't be stopped.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the younger enlisted troops, especially since they ARE the backbone of the corps.

If it's easy, you're not working hard enough

03 - Marines - Captain (Former Employee) Twentynine Palms, CA (US)

ProsYou will always have an opportunity to push yourself. There is no greater honor than leading Marines, even on the miserable days.

ConsLiving away from your family and constant deployments are rough. The Corps is entering the cycle at the end of every war that involves budget cuts, restructuring and extra political oversight.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the Marines primary goal is to fight and win wars.

I wish it never ended

Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsCamaraderie, Travel opportunities, the desire to serve your country, physical fitness, great uniforms, lots of networking opportunities

ConsI don't have any cons. Sure there's things that you might not want to do, but I think that's a part of every job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding experience

Tactical Data Systems Administrator (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThe training is top notch by far. Being a student as a Marine is sometimes very challenging,but the rewards are ten fold. There are opportunities presented to me that wouldn't have been possible if it wasn't for the training skill set I received from the military.

ConsBy far the pay is less than desired, however it is offset some what by the benefits.

I loved serving in the Marine Corps. The camaraderie is unparalleled; teamwork is the name of the game!

E5 - Marines - Sergeant (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

ProsIf you desire a challenge and further advancement in being a successful leader, this your club to join.

ConsSalary in the military is of course a con, but if you're considering about joining, you probably shouldn't have a 'high salary' mindset

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is like every job in the world ... employers will vary in different locations and environments.

Loved it while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFully enjoyed my experience while making a difference for my country. Got to travel the world, meet a lot of people, make a lot of friends, and enjoy a lot of different cultures. It is a shame that I could not do my full 20 years.

ConsSome regulations are out dated. You can not expect certain regulations to fit everyone, and even if you do not expect it. Do not presume to think that it is the best that you can do. Everything and everyone has room for improvement.

Semper Fi

United States Marine (Current Employee)

ProsGreat way to start a career and build a history of success early on in life. I t allows you to truly make your own future.

ConsWork life balance is tough but it is the military. Can be political at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about your NCO's

Life Changing

Mid Level Officer (Current Employee)

ProsNo other job will allow you to do the things you will do here. You will learn leadership and build more than friendships, you will build a family that will always be there for you. You will work harder than you ever have, be put in situations that you are not prepared for and be expected to succeed...and you will because that is what you have been taught to do. And at some point, in the middle of the ocean, atop a mountain, or upside down in an aircraft you will have a moment where you look around and are amazed that you are being paid to do this.

ConsYou will work long hours for insatiable people who understand that sleep is optional. There will be long stretches of time spent away from your family and they will have spotty if any communication with you most of the time. Headquarters is lost and out of touch with what warfighters really do. Strategic planning is out of focus and any fool with a business degree would pull their hair out at the Marine Corps business strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnalyze big data. The answer is out there, look to aviation as the way. Until you can justify where the money goes and give accurate cost analysis, you cannot predict break even points and optimization plans. Data, data, data. put it together and use it rather than spend time on a road show expressing your disdain over a bunch of Marines that took a leak on enemy combatants.

I was an aviation electrical technician.

E5 - Marines - Sergeant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsI wanted to serve in the Marine Corp.

ConsDifficult lifestyle, away from home a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized.

Semper Fi

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay and benefits. Great start out career.

ConsLong hours depending on MOS

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!