US Marine Corps

Updated Jul 24, 2014

4.2 1,948 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for(in 51 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments(in 125 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired(in 219 reviews)

1,948 Employee Reviews

"Lack of TRUE leadership"

0411 (Former Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC (US)

ProsIf you can apply what you learn in Bootcamp, MOS School, and beyond to your day to day life you will succeed your peers in every aspect of life before the age of 25.

ConsLeadership varies tremendously and results in whirlwind of issues from troop welfare, pay issues, kids getting married for the added pay and then the wives causing issues for the command, and so on. Small unit leadership is lacking in todays Corps.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe thinning out of the Corps can't come soon enough. Promotions shouldn't hinge on the lackluster performance amplified by a self written FITREP or an easily obtainable cutting score that gives you 2 year NCO's and 5-6 year Staff NCO's.

It has allowed mature well beyond my years.

School of Infantry (West) Motor Transport Maintenance Chief (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

ProsThe Marine Corps will make a leader out of anyone. You'll gain intangible abilities that you might otherwise take years to acquire or perhaps never.

ConsIt's very physically and mentally demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe a manager who is able to push his employs to their full potential, make for the best manager or boss to work for. However, those managers need to have the tools to be able to make this happen. I've gained many tools for the Marine Corps. Knowing myself so I seek self improvement. Know my employs, so i can put them in the best position to succeed. My favorite is, Lead by example and they shall follow.

USMC love

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat life experiences, great training environment. They look out for your best interests.

ConsTime away from family. Pay can be subpar compared to civilian jobs but is guaranteed unlike most jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really, you guys know what you are doing and I commend you for that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A very educational, and fast paced environment.

Logistics Officer (Current Employee) Okinawa (Japan)

ProsOne of the benefits of working here is the support that is given to the mid-level management. There is flexibility to achieve results while oversight is being provided.

ConsAs an organization we are effective but not as efficient as I would like us to be. The Lean Six/Sigma process will be a valuable tool.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate more lean practices into our processes.

Marine Corps

U S Marine (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsIf you don't know what to do with your life than military service is a good way to go. Opportunities for education, skills, on the job training and experience. Health, medical, dental covered including family members. Travel world-wide to some great places. Choose your occupational skill (MOS) carefully.

ConsSome MOSs are dead end jobs and do not cross over well to good paying civilian jobs. You may get deployed repeatedly to the same less than desirable places. The "bad apple" Marines, you can't "fire" (discharge), make things miserable for everyone. Some junior Marine requirement entirely too much fatherly or motherly guidance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop allowing the going fads in the American Society to change the Corps.

It's an adventure.

Pros-Traveling.
    -Genuine concern from seniors for your well-being both at work and personally.
    -Excellent promotion opportunities.
    -Education opportunities during and after service, such as tuition assistance and the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
    -Lots of responsibility at a relatively young age.

Cons-Unstable work schedule.
    -7-9 month deployments away from home.
    -As the wars wind down, there has been a shift in priorities which has unfortunately led to more micromanagement from senior leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo real advice here, I think the Marine Corps sells itself fairly accurately.

Marine Corps

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent career advancement opportunities and the opportunity to develop yourself as a leader. The Marines will teach you how to handle different and difficult leadership challenges and make you a better decision maker.

ConsSporadic work schedule. Depending on what the current op-tempo is you will find yourself working late days and even weekends. Not enough family time.

16 Years of Telecommunications work as the Wire chief.

Wire Chief (Current Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC (US)

ProsHad a great opportunity to travel the world and learn strong leadership traits and work ethic.

ConsExcessive time away from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Excruciatingly frustrating but rewarding at the same time.

E4 - Marines - Corporal (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC (US)

ProsFull Medical for family and dental for you, 30 days vacation

ConsSome jobs have very little room for promotion which can hinder your chance of stay long enough to earn a retirement pension. Way too much paperwork involved for everything. Occasional 24 hour shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating everyone of a lower rank than you like they are children or boot a recruits.

Commitment

Supervisor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsDiverse work environment
    Promotions really depend on the individual
    Great place to start working as a young adult
    30 days of leave per year? Can't beat that

ConsHours-You could work anywhere from 40-80 hrs a week. No additional compensation
    You can have great leaders or you can have "self absorbed, fitness report chasing, not a clue, doesn't set the example" leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementStop forcing out middle management and get rid of the "stagnant" senior leadership. Those should have been the first to go.

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!