USG

USG Reviews

Updated Jul 08, 2014

USG CEO James S. Metcalf

James S. Metcalf

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance (if you are in the right department)(in 8 reviews)

• The people you work with are good people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • company's success is tied to the housing market(in 5 reviews)

• The on going depression characteristics of the building materials business has resulted in constant layoffs with many good people terminated(in 3 reviews)

Challenging and Rewarding

ProsPeople are great, Opportunities for advancement, Different opinions and perspectives are considered

ConsChange management issues, Manual processes slow reporting

Advice to Senior ManagementClear, consistent communication to all employees is vital to employee engagement.

A company that cares about its employees safety, satisfaction, and quality of product.

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Torrance, CA (US)

ProsSafety is first. Employee concerns are heard and listened to by management.

ConsWorking hours are longer than most Californian jobs. Stress level is usually high. A lot is expected of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance work load. Vacation Time management.

Company has forgotten the people who stuck with them.

Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of good hardworking people within the company.

ConsDownsizing through the years has prevented people from being able to advance. People who stuck with them through the tough times by taking on more work and not getting raises have not been appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't continue to count on employees sticking around and doing two or three peoples
    who got laid off jobs. As jobs become available employees you take for granted will seek other employment. I worked with USG for over 15 years and being treated like that made me leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid Company

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsValues, co-workers, variety, challenge, travel

Conswork-life balance, political environment, stovepiped

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

USG - The Best and Worst Place I Ever Worked.

Non Management (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat People. Great Product. Excellent work life balance (if you are in the right department). A family atmosphere. Located downtown right behind the Metra train station. Pay is OK, not the best, but not the worst. Lots of extra activities, focus groups, lunch and learns, weight loss challenges…things to benefit the employees. Great perks.

ConsUSG rarely gets rid of people who have proven to no longer be valuable to the company. In many departments these "slacker" or OLD heads hold key positions. This is demoralizing to up and comings and doesn't give you the warm an fuzzes about promotions. Career paths are better than previous years, but a long way to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the little guys who actually do the work.

Been here over a year, good money, not much time off.

Factory (Current Employee) Gypsum, OH (US)

ProsThe pay is GREAT! Benefits are great! Two weeks vacation after a year (if you take advantage of buying a week as offered). Talk of going to 4 shifts that would swing, 12 hour shifts, 3 days on/4 days off then 4 days on/ 3 days off. Would then have every other weekend off! Would work half a year. Schedule set for a year ahead of time.

ConsNo weekends off. Sometimes work 11-17 days straight (with a day off here and there). Tough on family life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to the 4 shifts swing. The set schedules would be a HUGE moral builder with employees!!!

Great company to make a career with

Mining Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFor engineering majors, great opportunity for fast advancement through the ranks and many opportunities to travel throughout the US by transferring to numerous plant locations. Reward superior performance and loyalty with quick advancement.

ConsAll engineering jobs lead to management positions. If you enjoy design and applying your degree, there are less roads to advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring experienced engineers for mining engineer positions.

Do not work here

ProsCafeteria. That's about it really.

ConsThis is a place that does not value hard work and will work you to the bone with no thanks

Advice to Senior Management....

OK but used to be better

IT Management (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsDedicated people who really care oabout the business. This is a very relationship oriented company.

ConsManagement tends not to value folks with many years of experience

USG provided great opportunities for me!

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsThe ability to see many facilities and places across the country.

ConsExempt team members are typically required to relocate to promote.

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!