Uber

Updated 15 December 2014
Updated 15 December 2014
3.5

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Uber brings in a culture that allows for innovation and fast paced development (in 18 reviews)

• Impactful work - you are literally changing the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• Long hours though you will hardly notice as the work is very exciting (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Execellent

Current Employee - Launcher
    Current Employee - Launcher

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's like working for your own startup!

Cons

Social life can take a hit

IMPACT!

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-start up
    -my city is my problem to solve
    -running your own business
    -moving real people and real things
    -maximizing my impact and learning everyday here!

Cons

work life balance. Everyone here is young and passionate. Not your typical 9-5 job. But it's a choice you make. And I would rather not have a 9-5 job!

Not for everyone, but the most exciting opportunity you'll get

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Super challenging, all engrossing , intellectual environment with extremely high levels of ownership. You are working for a company that's truly transforming cities across the world and it's an opportunity to create true and direct impact in lives of people. The company has a very transparent and direct culture, and that further promotes the sense of ownership amongst employees at all levels.

Cons

This type of lifestyle is not for everyone. Your life and thought will revolve around Uber, and while some might love this entrepreneurial culture, it might not be the best thing for everyone.

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ownership, tons of personal and professional growth, get involved in all aspects of building a business, exciting company and role and product, work with very smart people

Cons

No work life balance, lots of hard work

Exciting, Fast-Paced & Full of Opportunities

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Opportunity to build a brand
    2. Global Culture leading to a lot of learning
    3. Best of minds working together

Cons

1. Lots of work but then a start up demands one

Keep innovating & taking the company to the vision.

The most exciting environment I've ever worked in

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startups love to talk about how they're 'killing it', even though usually they're just struggling to survive to their next round of funding. The focus on Uber isn't on 'killing it', everyone knows we're already doing that; we want to know what we can do to kill it faster.

Compensation is extremely competitive, and includes something that no other company can offer: equity in one of the fastest growing companies in history. Even now, Uber is out of its infancy and continuing to double revenues every six months.

Transparency within the company is a big part of our culture. There's a weekly meeting where anyone in the company can ask the CEO a question and get an honest/unfiltered response.

You get to work with a lot of extremely talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I've met people at HQ from six different continents, and I'm currently the only male engineer on my team. Diversity is a common buzzword these days, but at a company as small and simultaneously global as Uber it's also a reality.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast; sometimes there are more people than desks and working arrangements can get very... 'cozy'. With that growth comes lots of change, and you will feel very uncomfortable if you are used to being in a predictable environment.

Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some. We're trying to grow the team as fast as the number of problems we're facing is growing, but sometimes the latter outpaces the former and the days can get very long, but the work is usually still exiting. I've never been told to work on a weekend, but I have voluntarily spent a few at the office building something I wanted to make.

Great Company doing Great Things!

Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazingly flat feeling to the hierarchical structure where every employees opinion is valued and voice can be heard. There is a great sense of transparency coming from the top down. The sense of mission and desire to create a high value product, both for our riders and our partners is tangible everyday and the commitment is shown in the quality of people that are hired each and every day. Benefits are particularly good and the office culture is second to none.

Cons

Long hours, but the reality is everyone here works long and hard because they want to and there is a real purpose to the job. If working long hours towards a mission isn't appealing, this is not the job for you.

I think for a company that is rapidly growing management has done an excellent job of creating a culture of mentorship, and maintaining the feel of a small start up.

Fast moving, smart people

Current Employee - Data Scientist
    Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are smart and action-oriented; the company is in a period of hypergrowth and we're all trying to make things happen. The atmosphere is inclusive-- everyone is opinionated, but willing to listen to your thoughts-- "strong opinions, loosely held."

Only been here two months; it's been a bit stressful, but overall more fun than stressful, and definitely a great learning experience. I would definitely recommend working here to all my friends.

Cons

Not a small company-- my last job was < 50 people, so it feels really big sometimes.

Incredible place to work

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, tons of opportunities to contribute, great positive atmosphere, very sharp coworkers. Lots of very interesting and far reaching problems being worked on. Attracts passionate people who are the best at what they do.

Cons

You have to look out for yourself to make sure you have the support you need to do your job right. Self-starters do best. Very little hand holding. Fewer perks than other tech companies. Very demanding, of course.

Bigger focus on work life balance would be appreciated.

Seems alright

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Fast pace, lots of growth.

Cons

Fast pace, lots of growth

Not sure

Uber Photos

Use Uber to get around town safely, quickly, and efficiently.
Uber can be used anytime, anywhere, in over 200 major cities around the world.

+ Add Photo