Uber

Updated 26 November 2014
Updated 26 November 2014
3.3

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • The work/life balance is challenging, but people have fun and have a sense of humor (in 5 reviews)

• Work with smart people in a challenging, fast paced, and fun environment - working here is life changing (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• I Don't Like The Rating System Cause i Cant Tell what people have rated me (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

IMPACT!

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-start up
    -my city is my problem to solve
    -running your own business
    -moving real people and real things
    -maximizing my impact and learning everyday here!

Cons

work life balance. Everyone here is young and passionate. Not your typical 9-5 job. But it's a choice you make. And I would rather not have a 9-5 job!

Execellent

Current Employee - Launcher
    Current Employee - Launcher

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's like working for your own startup!

Cons

Social life can take a hit

Not for everyone, but the most exciting opportunity you'll get

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Super challenging, all engrossing , intellectual environment with extremely high levels of ownership. You are working for a company that's truly transforming cities across the world and it's an opportunity to create true and direct impact in lives of people. The company has a very transparent and direct culture, and that further promotes the sense of ownership amongst employees at all levels.

Cons

This type of lifestyle is not for everyone. Your life and thought will revolve around Uber, and while some might love this entrepreneurial culture, it might not be the best thing for everyone.

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ownership, tons of personal and professional growth, get involved in all aspects of building a business, exciting company and role and product, work with very smart people

Cons

No work life balance, lots of hard work

Exciting, Fast-Paced & Full of Opportunities

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Opportunity to build a brand
    2. Global Culture leading to a lot of learning
    3. Best of minds working together

Cons

1. Lots of work but then a start up demands one

Keep innovating & taking the company to the vision.

The most exciting environment I've ever worked in

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startups love to talk about how they're 'killing it', even though usually they're just struggling to survive to their next round of funding. The focus on Uber isn't on 'killing it', everyone knows we're already doing that; we want to know what we can do to kill it faster.

Compensation is extremely competitive, and includes something that no other company can offer: equity in one of the fastest growing companies in history. Even now, Uber is out of its infancy and continuing to double revenues every six months.

Transparency within the company is a big part of our culture. There's a weekly meeting where anyone in the company can ask the CEO a question and get an honest/unfiltered response.

You get to work with a lot of extremely talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I've met people at HQ from six different continents, and I'm currently the only male engineer on my team. Diversity is a common buzzword these days, but at a company as small and simultaneously global as Uber it's also a reality.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast; sometimes there are more people than desks and working arrangements can get very... 'cozy'. With that growth comes lots of change, and you will feel very uncomfortable if you are used to being in a predictable environment.

Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some. We're trying to grow the team as fast as the number of problems we're facing is growing, but sometimes the latter outpaces the former and the days can get very long, but the work is usually still exiting. I've never been told to work on a weekend, but I have voluntarily spent a few at the office building something I wanted to make.

Uber is an amazing place to work for

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* First and foremost, I truly believes in Uber's mission and have a deep conviction of the good that Uber is bringing to the society; this gives me a tremendous deal of satisfaction. By disrupting the monopolistic taxi industry, Uber is making transportation more efficient and bringing value to

1) The drivers, who generally have much better pay than driving a taxi (because Uber gives drivers a larger cut of the fare than a taxi company would; because Uber makes rides more efficient so that drivers have less downtime and thus more trips). The drivers would also enjoy flexible hours and being a boss of his/her own (interestingly, this is consistently the #1 reason why drivers love Uber, at least from my personal experiences talking with dozens of drivers)
    2) The riders, by give them much better riding experiences (courteous and friendly driver, cleaner car, convenience in hailing a car, great customer service), as well as cheaper rides
    3) The society, by making more jobs (we are creating 50,000 jobs a month across the globe) and taking inefficiencies out of our economy
    4) The environment, by reducing the need of self-driving and car ownership, and encouraging ride sharing, Uber could make a potentially very large impact on our environment

* Second reason why I love working for Uber are the people I work with. I am fortunate enough to be working in a team with both great leadership and great colleagues. Here we really work as team, everyone is very talented, works hard and helps each other, and we learn from each other and grow.

And from what I know, this is not true of our team only but a general culture across the entire company --- you don't get this everywhere.

* Last but not least, I am also fortunately enough to be working on a problem that's both technically/intellectually challenging, as well as contributing tremendously to Uber's business bottom-line. Being able to see our work makes real business impact gives me a lot of satisfaction working here.

Cons

Being a relatively young company that grows exponentially fast, we do have to work pretty long hours. Personally I don't mind as I really love this company and I voluntarily work after I got home and on weekends too. I think this is just part of being working for a start-up company one truly loves.

There is a great deal of misunderstanding of Uber in the public arena --- we gotta do a better job in communicating to the public. I am doing a small part here myself by writing this review on glassdoor.

Amazing team, amazing company

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart, collaborative, ambitious, friendly team. Strong leadership, yet very little is top down. Lots of autonomy and opportunity. Amazing growth which makes everything more fun (and challenging)!

Cons

Nothing big yet. Hyper growth comes with a set of challenges -- but that's what makes it fun!

The most fun I've had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Uber is filled with smart, talented people who honestly want to make a difference. Whether it's headquarters or the city teams, the employees are always trying to push the boundaries. People are empowered to do what they believe is best and that dynamic makes for an exciting environment. I'm struck by the passion and focus.

The path that the company is on is amazing. While growth is important to scale to the current product, where Uber is headed is a huge selling point for new people to join. I've never been more challenged and yet supported in my career.

Cons

Changing the world is hard work. Sometimes that means long startup-like hours. People don't stay late because they have to, though. They genuinely want to. You also need to be comfortable with ambiguity and shifting areas of focus. I can't speak for the driver experience, but the employee experience is hard work but with great reward.

It can be difficult to not want to reach for the stars every single day. Management needs to continually support a young and growing team. Uber's been very successful as a small, scrappy company but maturity brings new responsibilities. Creating a great, supporting, and balanced culture is key to success.

"Big company" revenue and growth, "small company" feel (culture, ownership, attitude)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging problems to solve, smartest coworkers in the business, beautiful office space. Lots to keep an engineer busy, as evident by the growing number of 4+ year employees (only a 5 year old company!).

Cons

Lots of work + passionate coworkers + tireless management = work-life balance difficulties. Luckily most days being in the office with coworkers is more stress relieving than holing up in a coffee shop to work by yourself.

Don't change.

Uber Photos

Use Uber to get around town safely, quickly, and efficiently.
Uber can be used anytime, anywhere, in over 200 major cities around the world.

+ Add Photo