Uber

Be The First To
Add Photos

Travis Kalanick

Awesome experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Uber

ProsAlways paid on time didn't have to do much you got your phone and off you went it was great

ConsI mean being a bonified taxi driver does have it's cons like being a taxi driver picking up drunk people other than that

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your own cars

Uber takes care of it's employees

Community Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time

ProsWork never feels like work. You get to shape your own successes and watch the impact directly. Managers and colleagues feel more like family. The company takes care of you.

ConsIt's not a 9-5. Work bleeds into your night and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

UBER does not protect it's drivers

Uber Driver (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor for more than a year

ProsAs a driver can work anytime of the day or night

ConsUBER application does not work correctly
Pick up location of clients request is never correct or accurate
Some passengers are verbally abusive and very disrespectful to drivers, when a driver complains to UBER about an incident with a passenger, UBER's response is " Sorry to hear that" they do not care about drivers, they're objective is to expand and make money period!
Just like filtering out the bad and un professional drivers, they must do the same to rude un professional and abusive passengers as well.

Here are some examples of some UBER (not all) passengers behavior, perhaps this will make UBER to understand that this kind of behavior by passengers can not be tolerated.

All UBER drivers have their own personal cars fully insured and licensed. by the state you drive and here in NY also by TLC (Taxi Limousine Commission)
Operating this vehicles are very costly, Gas, Insurance, Car payments, Maintenance, can add up to hundreds of dollars on weekly bases. And most drivers take pride about their vehicle, it's their livelihood.

Now you have a passenger in the car, not only as a driver you have to listen to their yapping away or arguing over the phone, you have to deal with their behavior as well
Putting their feet on the center console
Eating in the car, making a mess and leaving trash behind.
Mothers and nannies, who pick up their kids from school, throwing cookies and snacks to it's kids, so they can behave in the car for the next10 minutes, while their kids are on the back seat standing, foot prints and trash on the seats.
Drunks coming in the car with open beer cans
People trying to pile in the car (Maximum 4 passengers)
People "Reliving" themselves in the car!
And so on...

What does UBER do about this people when their attitude and un professional behavior is reported? absolutely NOTHING!

Here is a flash news to UBER passengers
9 out of 10 do not know they're being rated as well end of the ride.
Just because you have an I phone or a smart phone DO NOT make you an smart person,
Lower passenger rating more likely it is, that you will be ignored to get picked up.
If you can not behave and conduct your selves properly for 10 15 minutes while in a car
Your best bet to get around in the NYC are is to use Citi bikes!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act's together and protect your drivers and respect them.
Without them all of you will be at the un employment line!

Great company

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Uber as an intern for less than a year

ProsHelping people reach to their destinations and for the lowest fare plus getting the satisfaction of giving the chance to drivers to earn money

ConsStressful and bad comunication and some food on site is not good

Advice to Senior ManagementSome believe themselves god

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company, constant action, huge growth, enormous amounts of love.

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany is growing incredibly quickly. Everyone is pumped about the business. The day-to-day is constant puzzle solving. You're surrounded by motivated people who love the company. Relatively flat structure. You see the impact of your work on a day-to-day basis. Everyone outside of Uber is excited about Uber. Since starting at Uber, all my old college friends want to get back in touch.

ConsHolidays are work days - be prepared to work like crazy. Your significant other must really love you to stay with you with these hours. You must love Uber to work at Uber. Management is young and figuring itself out, but CEO is one of the great CEOs of the world. He loves the company and empowers employees. The structure is becoming slightly more hierarchical which is natural for a company growing at this pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep empowering your employees as you currently do.

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than a year

ProsReally great work environment and great people

ConsThey could have better management

The most challenging yet rewarding job I've ever had

Community Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than a year

ProsAll city teams are run as little startups. There is no limit to what you can achieve and the company gives you free rein. You get to work with the smartest people from around the world, on a daily basis. There is no 'politics' at this company, just exceptionally motivated people trying to improve how people around the world move.

ConsTrying to change the world with a small team can be demanding. Be prepared for the (Uber) ride of your life if you join this company. Hyper growth and hyper scalability require hyper focus and hyper commitment. There is no going home at 5 and you will always need to be closing deals.

I love working with Uber. It’s the greatest company I’ve ever worked with.

Logistics and Operations Manager (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

ProsUber is a startup that inspires us to work in eager want – we don’t work because we’re getting paid, we work because in our hearts and minds, we want Uber to grow and be incredibly successful.

We debate till 4 am about who our next hire should be, in heated arguments, because we are a family. When we hire someone, they become part of that family, and our Uber family is nothing short of incredible.

Imagine a company wide international “workation”, where instead of staying in a posh hotel and holding conferences and seminars, you split into small groups of 10-15 people, airbnb a big house in places like Stockholm and Melbourne, & eat, sleep, work, and party together as a team. That’s family.

Imagine a job where you directly (read – personally know and) help thousands of people each year. Drivers who used to work in unbelievably terrible conditions to provide for their families can now earn more income and enjoy a better living by partnering with Uber. Female drivers, who were previously shunned in this industry, now feel safe (no cash) and confident (zero discrimination) while driving their car. It’s great knowing I’m working with a company that empowers drivers to feel safe and earn a livable wage.

Imagine creating a more efficient city, where riders no longer waste gas in their own cars, where drivers are directed using a computer algorithm to pickup and drop off passengers in the most efficient way possible, and where pollution in a city actually decreases because consumers are making smarter choices. Imagine being empowered by an entire engineering team that constantly listens to your feedback, and builds tools to make you more exponentially more effective than you were yesterday.

Imagine delighting customers with surprise "Ubercades", or making them cry with joy when they receive an on-demand barbershop quartet song and roses from their beloved.

Imagine reducing the number of deaths that occur due to drunk driving. Imagine the sadness prevented, the lives saved, and the future memories created because people are making more responsible decisions and leaving their cars at home when they drink.

And Imagine being part of a team so wickedly focused, so incredibly smart, that you have to pinch yourself weekly to realize how lucky you are to be a part of this culture forming, industry disrupting, pollution eliminating, customer delighting, DUI preventing “company”. But it’s not a company. It’s a community, and it’s way of life.

ConsIf you can't hustle, you'll have a hard time succeeding here. Be ready to work hard and put in the hours to help grow this once in a lifetime opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys rock. Thanks for keeping us focused, and thanks for letting us innovate on a city-by-city level.

Each city feels like it's own startup, and it's great. Also, thanks for the big-picture vision, and for keeping us excited for the future.

Great company

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company with a lot of interesting problems to solve.

ConsNot big enough to be a big company but not small enough to be a startup anymore.

Uber is an amazing company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Uber full-time

ProsUber is an amazing brand, and a company that's disrupting the transportation industry
The people you work with on a daily basis are very talented
There are some cool perks (like subsidized gym membership and free Uber)

ConsThere really aren't many cons... Perhaps pay could have been better, and you will have to work "startup hours" (although they're nowhere near what bankers have to put up with).

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uber reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Uber CEO Travis Kalanick. All 12 reviews are posted anonymously by Uber employees.