Uber Reviews

Updated 31 October 2014
Updated 31 October 2014
2.9

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • The work/life balance is challenging, but people have fun and have a sense of humor (in 5 reviews)

• Work with smart people in a challenging, fast paced, and fun environment - working here is life changing (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• I Don't Like The Rating System Cause i Cant Tell what people have rated me (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Not for everyone, but the most exciting opportunity you'll get

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Super challenging, all engrossing , intellectual environment with extremely high levels of ownership. You are working for a company that's truly transforming cities across the world and it's an opportunity to create true and direct impact in lives of people. The company has a very transparent and direct culture, and that further promotes the sense of ownership amongst employees at all levels.

Cons

This type of lifestyle is not for everyone. Your life and thought will revolve around Uber, and while some might love this entrepreneurial culture, it might not be the best thing for everyone.

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ownership, tons of personal and professional growth, get involved in all aspects of building a business, exciting company and role and product, work with very smart people

Cons

No work life balance, lots of hard work

Exciting, Fast-Paced & Full of Opportunities

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Opportunity to build a brand
    2. Global Culture leading to a lot of learning
    3. Best of minds working together

Cons

1. Lots of work but then a start up demands one

Keep innovating & taking the company to the vision.

The most exciting environment I've ever worked in

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startups love to talk about how they're 'killing it', even though usually they're just struggling to survive to their next round of funding. The focus on Uber isn't on 'killing it', everyone knows we're already doing that; we want to know what we can do to kill it faster.

Compensation is extremely competitive, and includes something that no other company can offer: equity in one of the fastest growing companies in history. Even now, Uber is out of its infancy and continuing to double revenues every six months.

Transparency within the company is a big part of our culture. There's a weekly meeting where anyone in the company can ask the CEO a question and get an honest/unfiltered response.

You get to work with a lot of extremely talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I've met people at HQ from six different continents, and I'm currently the only male engineer on my team. Diversity is a common buzzword these days, but at a company as small and simultaneously global as Uber it's also a reality.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast; sometimes there are more people than desks and working arrangements can get very... 'cozy'. With that growth comes lots of change, and you will feel very uncomfortable if you are used to being in a predictable environment.

Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some. We're trying to grow the team as fast as the number of problems we're facing is growing, but sometimes the latter outpaces the former and the days can get very long, but the work is usually still exiting. I've never been told to work on a weekend, but I have voluntarily spent a few at the office building something I wanted to make.

Great, Fast-Growing Company

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Smart people
    - Fast pace
    - Great leadership
    - Awesome benefits
    - Tightly knit teams/company

Working for a company that is driven by a vision that every employee shares makes working a pleasure. People here work hard and are great at getting things done. It also helps that we all use our application multiple times a week so we understand the product that we're building.

Cons

- As a company that is growing exponentially (global reach and it's personnel), we're constantly faced with new challenges in scaling people and processes, and although handling growing pains is well executed, it requires constant communication that sometimes isn't perfectly executed.
    - You'll get pushed to work hard and get a lot done. If you can't keep up with the work, it will impact your work-life balance.

Keep on doing a great job at keeping the culture as the company grows.

Growth growth and more growth..

Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible team culture. Opportunity to work on a vast number of initiatives. The best idea always wins, and it doesn't matter who's idea it is.

Definitely a work hard, play hard environment.

Cons

No big cons. It's an intense environment so be ready to work hard.

Flexibility is Good

Current Employee - UberX Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - UberX Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I really like the flexibility Uber offers. I also work a FT job, but the fact there are fares 24 hours a day makes this a good gig for PT work. What I have found to work for the best "bank for the buck" is getting online by 5am & trolling south (I live in Buford) on P-Tree Ind or 141, there are many fares heading to the airport at that time. Overall it's a very nice PT gig. I have met many "interesting" people, I could write a book.

Cons

I have to usually drive ITP during evenings to get fares (35+ miles).
    In the late nights - early mornings - there are almost as many cancellations as fares. I have even called the customer to verify they indeed need a ride & have been told yes.. I have driven as far as 18-20 miles (when working very late you might be the only driver out, or so it seems) only to be cancelled upon arrival. Uber might or might not compensate me for that. & if they do, it's $6. - of which I receive $4.80.
    The GPS leaves much to be desired on many nights, so I call the customer to verify their location. If it's very early in the morning (like runs to the airport) the customer have gotten PO'ed as they do not want to wake their family. If it's the drunks you are taking home, sometimes they have no clue where they are & I am driving in circles trying to find them.

The $1 deduction for every fare can be a big hit, especially for a fare under $10, because there's also the 20% fee.
    I do not get satisfaction from many emails to partners.uber.com. They are condescending & there's no 'voice' to speak with when there's a major concern. Many times they do not answer the question at hand, they give a "standard" reply that has nothing to do with the question emailed to them.

Fun and Fast Growing company to work for

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is very exciting and continuously working on new features and products. The people here are very smart and driven! Great tools in place to help the company team members run efficiently.

Cons

people work very late here. the salaries are lower than other companies but the stock makes up for it a little. theres a lot of potential for stock to grow.

"Big company" revenue and growth, "small company" feel (culture, ownership, attitude)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging problems to solve, smartest coworkers in the business, beautiful office space. Lots to keep an engineer busy, as evident by the growing number of 4+ year employees (only a 5 year old company!).

Cons

Lots of work + passionate coworkers + tireless management = work-life balance difficulties. Luckily most days being in the office with coworkers is more stress relieving than holing up in a coffee shop to work by yourself.

Don't change.

Best place for people like to make huge impact.

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smartest and most passionate people. Everyone in the team are excited about the impact and opportunity. People believe Uber is changing the way people live. This is the kind of work that every morning when you wake up, you feel like your achievement will be rewarded and you are proud of what you are doing.

Cons

Since company is on a huge growth path, the office is getting crowded. But the working environment is very stylish and there is already a plan to expand the office space.

More options for lunch.