Uber

Updated 20 November 2014
Updated 20 November 2014
3.3

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • The work/life balance is challenging, but people have fun and have a sense of humor (in 5 reviews)

• Work with smart people in a challenging, fast paced, and fun environment - working here is life changing (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• I Don't Like The Rating System Cause i Cant Tell what people have rated me (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Execellent

Current Employee - Launcher
    Current Employee - Launcher

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's like working for your own startup!

Cons

Social life can take a hit

IMPACT!

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-start up
    -my city is my problem to solve
    -running your own business
    -moving real people and real things
    -maximizing my impact and learning everyday here!

Cons

work life balance. Everyone here is young and passionate. Not your typical 9-5 job. But it's a choice you make. And I would rather not have a 9-5 job!

Not for everyone, but the most exciting opportunity you'll get

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Super challenging, all engrossing , intellectual environment with extremely high levels of ownership. You are working for a company that's truly transforming cities across the world and it's an opportunity to create true and direct impact in lives of people. The company has a very transparent and direct culture, and that further promotes the sense of ownership amongst employees at all levels.

Cons

This type of lifestyle is not for everyone. Your life and thought will revolve around Uber, and while some might love this entrepreneurial culture, it might not be the best thing for everyone.

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ownership, tons of personal and professional growth, get involved in all aspects of building a business, exciting company and role and product, work with very smart people

Cons

No work life balance, lots of hard work

Exciting, Fast-Paced & Full of Opportunities

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Opportunity to build a brand
    2. Global Culture leading to a lot of learning
    3. Best of minds working together

Cons

1. Lots of work but then a start up demands one

Keep innovating & taking the company to the vision.

The most exciting environment I've ever worked in

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startups love to talk about how they're 'killing it', even though usually they're just struggling to survive to their next round of funding. The focus on Uber isn't on 'killing it', everyone knows we're already doing that; we want to know what we can do to kill it faster.

Compensation is extremely competitive, and includes something that no other company can offer: equity in one of the fastest growing companies in history. Even now, Uber is out of its infancy and continuing to double revenues every six months.

Transparency within the company is a big part of our culture. There's a weekly meeting where anyone in the company can ask the CEO a question and get an honest/unfiltered response.

You get to work with a lot of extremely talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I've met people at HQ from six different continents, and I'm currently the only male engineer on my team. Diversity is a common buzzword these days, but at a company as small and simultaneously global as Uber it's also a reality.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast; sometimes there are more people than desks and working arrangements can get very... 'cozy'. With that growth comes lots of change, and you will feel very uncomfortable if you are used to being in a predictable environment.

Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some. We're trying to grow the team as fast as the number of problems we're facing is growing, but sometimes the latter outpaces the former and the days can get very long, but the work is usually still exiting. I've never been told to work on a weekend, but I have voluntarily spent a few at the office building something I wanted to make.

Great, Fast-Growing Company

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Smart people
    - Fast pace
    - Great leadership
    - Awesome benefits
    - Tightly knit teams/company

Working for a company that is driven by a vision that every employee shares makes working a pleasure. People here work hard and are great at getting things done. It also helps that we all use our application multiple times a week so we understand the product that we're building.

Cons

- As a company that is growing exponentially (global reach and it's personnel), we're constantly faced with new challenges in scaling people and processes, and although handling growing pains is well executed, it requires constant communication that sometimes isn't perfectly executed.
    - You'll get pushed to work hard and get a lot done. If you can't keep up with the work, it will impact your work-life balance.

Keep on doing a great job at keeping the culture as the company grows.

Growth growth and more growth..

Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible team culture. Opportunity to work on a vast number of initiatives. The best idea always wins, and it doesn't matter who's idea it is.

Definitely a work hard, play hard environment.

Cons

No big cons. It's an intense environment so be ready to work hard.

Great place to work for gives you so much more freedom that a typical job would never give you.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Make own hours
    Work as much as you want to
    Uber gave me so much freedom and an hourly wage in the high 20's when I couldnt find a job.

Cons

Mileage pay rate has been decreasing due to competition with Lyft
    Putting so many miles on car
    Occasional taxi standoffs
    Another con is that customers cannot tip through the app. Sooooo many more customers would tip drivers if they could and it would keep drivers happy even with lowered rates.

Add more guaranteed pay days.

Uber is an amazing place to work for

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* First and foremost, I truly believes in Uber's mission and have a deep conviction of the good that Uber is bringing to the society; this gives me a tremendous deal of satisfaction. By disrupting the monopolistic taxi industry, Uber is making transportation more efficient and bringing value to

1) The drivers, who generally have much better pay than driving a taxi (because Uber gives drivers a larger cut of the fare than a taxi company would; because Uber makes rides more efficient so that drivers have less downtime and thus more trips). The drivers would also enjoy flexible hours and being a boss of his/her own (interestingly, this is consistently the #1 reason why drivers love Uber, at least from my personal experiences talking with dozens of drivers)
    2) The riders, by give them much better riding experiences (courteous and friendly driver, cleaner car, convenience in hailing a car, great customer service), as well as cheaper rides
    3) The society, by making more jobs (we are creating 50,000 jobs a month across the globe) and taking inefficiencies out of our economy
    4) The environment, by reducing the need of self-driving and car ownership, and encouraging ride sharing, Uber could make a potentially very large impact on our environment

* Second reason why I love working for Uber are the people I work with. I am fortunate enough to be working in a team with both great leadership and great colleagues. Here we really work as team, everyone is very talented, works hard and helps each other, and we learn from each other and grow.

And from what I know, this is not true of our team only but a general culture across the entire company --- you don't get this everywhere.

* Last but not least, I am also fortunately enough to be working on a problem that's both technically/intellectually challenging, as well as contributing tremendously to Uber's business bottom-line. Being able to see our work makes real business impact gives me a lot of satisfaction working here.

Cons

Being a relatively young company that grows exponentially fast, we do have to work pretty long hours. Personally I don't mind as I really love this company and I voluntarily work after I got home and on weekends too. I think this is just part of being working for a start-up company one truly loves.

There is a great deal of misunderstanding of Uber in the public arena --- we gotta do a better job in communicating to the public. I am doing a small part here myself by writing this review on glassdoor.

Uber Photos

Use Uber to get around town safely, quickly, and efficiently.
Uber can be used anytime, anywhere, in over 200 major cities around the world.

+ Add Photo