Ulta Beauty
www.ulta.com Bolingbrook, IL 5000+ Employees

Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Mary Dillon

Pros:
  • "Great employee discount on product as well as salon services"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Good discount on salon services"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hours are cut if sales are down, which is unfair if sales have little to nothing to do with you"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store"
    in 35 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good if you want retail experience

Prestige Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree makeup and good retail experience.

ConsUpper management does not invest in their employee's training and knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees

The best thing was the 25% discount.

General Manager (Former Employee)
Montgomery, IL (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

ProsOne of the worst jobs ever! Ulta will not pay their employees enough money to retain qualified people to work in this environment, always short handed by the weekend, because of the last minute payroll cuts. The stock was never merchandised properly, because of payroll cuts. So many shop lifters and Ulta will not pay for security, yet they expect all employees to carry a plastic bag in and out of the store. You must be "bag checked" by a manger in front of the camera before exiting the building. This includes waiting after you have logged out for your 30 minute "meal time" while there is one manager on duty, who has a line of 25 "guests" waiting pay for their products. If you are lucky and they manager is not in a bad mood, she will try to step away from the register to "bag check" you while the guests are stuffing products from the grab and go into their purses. I have never seen anything so unprofessional in my life. I do not think it was just the location I was at either. Too many vendor's said it was like that at every location. It is called the Ulta curse.

ConsIt is impossible to complete a days work because you never have a full staff, even on weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being so greedy. Stop the last minute pay cuts, Promote from with in, rather than going the Old Navy or Bed, Bath and Beyond.

unethical and corrupt company

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

ProsOnly good thing about working here... The discount

ConsI was hired as an associate manager and told it was a 6-12 month job, then I would be up for a GM position. I put in a lot of hours ( and a lot of hours off of the clock) and worked hard to get to the next level. I was asked to be the active GM while a GM was on leave... No compensation for the added resposibilities, and worked 30+ hours not paid for due to lack of payroll. I was told it was my training to become a GM.... "This is what GM's do." I played the part of active GM a few times. I was left with the responsibility of the entire store when my GM was on vacation or out of town for a week... Still no compensation. When I started saying I would not take on the list of responsibilities without being compensated, I then was told I was aggressive and was offered a demotion. When I turned down the demotion, my GM offered to help me find a new job with another company. It's a great company if you're a GM... If you're anything less, you are worked to the bone and expected to work off of the clock; that's the only way things get done. There are not enough payroll hours given to do the work expected. And it doesn't help that your GM's are not hands on in any way. I believe the company should monitor the GM's timecard instead of just assuming they are there 40 hours a week. The people who work hard are expected to work harder, while the people who slack off, are allowed to coast by. Absolutely one of the worst places to work! I am disgusted with how I was treated. For a company that preaches, "Do what's right", they are completely unethical and corrupt. Working off the clock, no breaks, and no compensation for your job.... Horrible company to work for!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to look at the payroll given to each store. Know that most GM's are not there 40 hours a week, and cannot be counted on to do much of the work load. When you have as many people as you do, working off of the clock just to get things done, there is a huge problem. I have never worked for a company that did not compensate their employees when their responsibilities increase. I have also never worked for a company that didn't give breaks. Working 7+ hours without a break should be illegal!

WORST PLACE EVER WORKED IN MY LIFE

Generalist (Current Employee)
Bolingbrook, IL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

ProsNew CEO. But like any new employee, check back in 2-3 years. It takes every normal person that much time to acclimate to a new position either way to see what realistically will stick - good or bad. NO OTHER PROS.

ConsEmployees who have been there a long time are dead weight. They have no work ethic, no ethics period, and there are no values at this organization. All Fat, and lazy. Eat too much and on the internet all day.
This place is stuck and will not be around long. Will be eaten up by Sephora or another competitor because it will implode if the new CEO can't get all the management aligned and on down the food chain. What is the saying- it stinks from the top? The stink has gone from the top to the bottom and they love the way it smells..... it must be the ULTA FRAGRANCE OF CHOICE.... STINK.... DON'T go here for about 2-3 years unless you are going to be homeless.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook up ethics, values and work ethics in the dictionary.

Company has one focus: expand in size without planning for the future.

Specialty Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

ProsHigh base salary per hour, flexibility with scheduling

ConsLow employee discount (people come in with coupons for the same amount), constantly getting hours cut when store is slow, no loss prevention tactics, gratis is at the hands of manager

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your lower-level employees on a more communicative basis with management. Give more incentives to being an employee (i.e. consistent gratis, higher employee discount, rewards program, etc) and do something about store theft that leave employees with weekly pay cuts, give more a meaning behind ULTA's culture and values so that employees can actually live them out, focus on hiring people that are truly managers not just interim placeholders

No room for advancement

Esthetician (Former Employee)
Webster, NY (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros20% employee discount, able to venture out into the store and organize products when not busy, a lot of eyebrow waxes each shift (ability to make more $$ in tips)

ConsRoom very clinical looking, not very soothing or comfortable like a spa and it's in the back of the store so nobody knows it's there (so not a lot of facial clients unless the store does promotions). The music did not work in my room half the time I worked there and there was never a clock in the room to time treatments. Managers wanted us to walk in the drugstore skincare aisle and try to convert clients to get facials

I love my Job as an Benefit Arch Expert but I do not like the atmosphere or management.

Benefit Arch Expert (Current Employee)
Columbia, SC (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

ProsAble to do what I love
Gratis
Clients
Discount
Benefit Cosmetics is overall a great company to be apart of.

ConsI would have given 4 stars but the Ulta I work for could so better. Management weakened the score for me. Management is my only issue at the location I work for. No boundaries or respect from most of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't like your job, find another one. Simple.

I was hired with the understanding that I had another side job. After 3 months, I was informed, I can not work for Ulta.

Esthetician (Former Employee)
Capitola, CA (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Proscoworkers are supportive team players and have professional and exceptional customer service support.

Consminimum salaries with unrealistic goals / expectations to level jump. Scheduled work hours are cut back daily, work schedules are disorganized. Lack of adequate HR support for employees attempting to resolve issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnowledge of policies and procedure by Salon Managers are crucial for the good of the employees, and the clients that receive services.

Very dissatisfied with this company

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get first hand knowledge on all the latest beauty trends.

Cons-Long hours
-Holiday business hours are ridiculous. open at 7a and close till 11pm.
-You're given a huge workload to complete every week with not enough time to complete it in.
-There's a lot of micromanaging! Everything you do is watched through a magnifying glass.
-Everything is the Operations Manager responsibility. It all falls under you and you rarely get any support from the other managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging. Constant conference calls and recap emails are ridiculous. Give us time to do our jobs instead of these ridiculous calls and recaps and then maybe we might just be able to perform to your standards.

Good small place to work

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance is good

ConsSmall company; growing up faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow faster :)

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ulta Beauty reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon. All 578 reviews are posted anonymously by Ulta Beauty employees.