Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 59 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a wonderful company to work for!

Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Burnsville, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Burnsville, MN (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

education on upcoming products.
    great atmosphere fast paced and great customers.

Cons

Promotions are a long process.
    Lots of drama, but that could be the area I'm in too.

Great Store Poor Salon

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gratis, education, diversity, employee discount, room for advancement

Cons

unrealistic expectations, poor management staff above store level

Store has a great feel and vibe, great product and education Note to company you cannot run a salon as a retail store. Spend more time investing in great stylist by educating and more attainable expectations

Absolutely HORRIBLE.

Current Employee - Prestige Manager
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None. None. None. None. Gratis.

Cons

No work-life balance. Your schedule will take up your whole day. They hire people with little or no experience, who are (for lack of better words, GHETTO) that have NO respect, and let's face it the pay is awful, the moral is down, and the traffic is little to none. So if you like cleaning all day, and not doing makeup, apply at Ulta today!

ALSO...as far as PROMOTIONS go and moving up with the company, most of the in-store managers have been there upwards of 7 years, who are still beaten out of promotions even if they are SUPER qualified.

And the lack of HOURS to hire more people so your managers don't have to run around like exhausted unhappy chickens all day, doing everyone's job and held responsible for the ENTIRE store by themselves, booking all appointments, helping all customers, dealing with all vendors, answering all phone calls, and helping all clients. IT IS ABSOTLEY THE WORST JOB I HAVE EVER HAD.

Be consistent with your troubled employees. Do not avoid it at cost of avoiding "confrontation" and making your other managers just "deal with it".

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

At the beginning the pros were my coworkers, managers, and the employee 25% discount. By the end of my time working there these all became cons.

Cons

No, I am not just a disgruntled employee who just got fired. I actually left my job on very good terms with the people I worked with. That being said...
    Management was the worst. One of my managers was bullied into resigning from her position because the others didn't like her. Her position was opened and filled by one of the favorites before any of us were told she had resigned, therefore no one was able to apply. I ended up doing only truck shipments and adsets, which was great because I absolutely hated the customers we dealt with.
    However, management is trained not to give a crap. I went to my manager explaining my husband lost his job and I really needed as many hours as she could give me. She said she'd see what she could do. I actually ended up with worse hours.
     The discount is great until you realize you could go get a full-time job somewhere that will pay you halfway decent and you'll be able to afford what you want to buy there in the first place. And yes, I agree. Some Ulta's could be great to work at and it really could just be the people. But in my opinion, the company itself is awful and doesn't care about it's lower-end staff, which is why you hear that the majority of management is completely horrible. Because they're trained that way.
    I was in this job for 11 months, staying only in hopes that it would get better, and it only ever got worse.

Stop gossiping about employees and other management in general, but especially in front of employees. Practice what you preach.

Pass on this company- it's terrible

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount was good -25% on retail purchase

Cons

Disorganized company, never enough payroll and less than adequate training.

Listen to what your team in the store ask for and tell you

Run as far away as you can

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount is good and the only thing that kept me here most of the time. Genuinely enjoyed working with makeup and beauty products.

Cons

Majority of store managers don't do anything. Associate managers are allowed to terrorize stores and micro manage everyone. No positive reinforcement or even constructive criticism. You're made to feel like you're doing a terrible job even though you're doing everything you can to not drown in all of the tasks you're faced with. District managers are nonexistent in stores and don't care about a single employee. Store policies are not followed across the board which leads to customers getting pissed off. EXTREMELY high turn over rate but corporate doesn't seem to notice and/or care. You're promised hours when you interview that you'll never actually get. Every single upper level employee is unhappy and looking for another job, which creates an unhappy work environment and affects lower level associates. There is no room to grow within this company (even though I advise against growing with this company at all) because the DMs will only give promotions to people who fit the "look" that Ulta wants and not people who will actually work hard.

Actually care about what's going on in your stores. Do more than a pathetic "culture survey" (which is actually NOT anonymous like they claim it is. Your DM can see who says what. MISLEADING) and make sure your DMs are active in their stores. There are absolutely no checks and balances with this company and it allows managers to become power hungry.

Associate manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Compensation, friendly people. Great customers

Cons

Very little training, high standards for appearance

Constant chaos

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing was a pro with this store and company

Cons

Daily operations very unorganized. Did not receive proper training. Pay rates very low. Constant issues with payroll. Store Management and DM were always frantic. This Management team had a severe lack of communication which supported a catty, blame shifting, chaotic environment. DISGUSTINGLY POOR ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS. Company wastes SO much money: Fixtures and displays (that could be reused or sent back to corporate) were thrown out on a daily basis.
    Strangest work experience I have ever had.

-Work on listening, and overall communication skills.
    -Make sure all new hires are properly and fully trained.
    -IMPLEMENT RECYCLING PROGRAM. It would benefit the environment and your company!

Loving it!

Current Employee - Manager in Sarasota, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Sarasota, FL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Great culture, growing rapidly with lots of internal growth.

Cons

Operations has improved greatly but still needs more simulation.

overall good

Current Employee - Greeter in Davie, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Greeter in Davie, FL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

enjoyed selling and discusing makeup and perfumes. help find the right product to help boost a womans confidence

Cons

pay wasnt all that great, it could have been better for the amount of work that needed to be done

none