Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014

2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 51 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions (in 43 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

This job gave me panic attacks.

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gratis is really the only pro.

Cons

Managers are way over worked and way underpaid. Store payroll hours are a joke. Managers are told they will be full time, but 30 hours is considered full time, so they have their own hours cut from 40 when need be to support the rest of the store. I herniated a couple discs in my back and was still expected to unload the truck and had to put inventory away while using a rolling chair since I couldn't walk well. Management didn't even care and wouldn't help switch shifts or take me off of truck duty. The atmosphere is annoying, with everyone expecting to be babied and you cant trust anyone you work with. I am trying to get out as fast as I can!

Give the stores some payroll to get your ridiculous mandatory tasks done. Pay managers more and keep it fair. Also, stop opening so many stores when the ones you already have cant support themselves.

Overall, not horrible

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

generous discounts and work-life balance

Cons

promotion and not enough hours

A corporation is a corporation

Current Employee - Salon Market Trainer
    Current Employee - Salon Market Trainer

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great health and medical insurance

Cons

Lack of work life balance

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great if your goal is the Beauty Industry

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy, Good discount, when the managers are good they are GOOD.

Cons

Should hire fro within instead of without first. GM's should have to take a course in at least color matching. Lack of hours of course, but that's always a given

Make sure that your GM's aren't taking all the credit for the work being done and don't freak out about customer surveys.

Ridiculous

Former Employee - Lead Cashier  in  Highland, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Highland, IN (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros. Worst 2 years of my life. I finally gave up and walked away to the company of my dreams.

Cons

I had walking pneumonia and when I gave my ER papers the manager asked "where does it say on here you can't come to work"?

Stop bringing your personal life to the work place. If you can't be as emotionally there for your employees don't be mad when they don't care. Be more professional and stop changing moods at any given moment.

blah

Former Employee - MSC  in  North Olmsted, OH (US)
    Former Employee - MSC in North Olmsted, OH (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

nothing really, it really is horrible

Cons

everything people sucked so much

Horrible.

Current Employee - Associate Manager Operations
    Current Employee - Associate Manager Operations

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gratis is great if you are management or prestige

Cons

No one is cross trained. Not able to take days off because I'm the only one who knows how to do the tasks that I do every week. Training is horrible. Not enough support from upper management (DM). Not enough hours to successfully get everything done. No sales hours need to be cut, difficult to make sales when you don't have anyone to assist customers. Worst job I have ever held. No one seems to care and it seems people only give 50%.

Give your people the tools so that they are able to succeed. All you here is the negative. Never once during a conference call of an email do you hear "good job".

Horrible.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ulta Beauty as a contractor

Pros

25% off,fellow associates,certain customers. Nothing else.

Cons

Ulta will completely waste your time. After I was hired,I quickly realized that the tiny amount of hours and pay were not enough to support myself. When I approached the GM about changing my availability to accommodate a second job,she seemed to panic and think I was leaving,and immediately offered me a Lead Cashier spot and a raise. I have yet to see either of those things come true.
    Associates do all of the heavy lifting while the managers sit in the office and talk or go on ridiculous conference calls (I've heard the content of these calls while I have to do the Damages. The management strategy is a complete joke). On the subject of Damages,customer returns are thrown away, even ones that look like they haven't been used. The amount of waste that comes from my store alone is appalling.
    All of the new hires in our store are put on truck because all of the other associates know you don't get paid more for doing a much harder job. At this point, Ulta seems completely indifferent to the fact that they are running all of their trustworthy employees away. I won't 've shopping there after I leave,and I'll advise all my friends and family that almost everything Ulta sells can be found cheaper elsewhere.
    I began this job excited,but I really think Ulta is going to run itself into the ground.

Have some respect for your employees. Hire managers who actually care about beauty. Pay more-the starting pay and "raises" are pathetic

Unprofessional management and not enough pros to outweigh cons.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Employee discount is nice and sometimes higher during the christmas season. You get to learn a lot about different brands of cosmetics. Prestige Consultants get a lot of gratis during trainings.

Cons

Very unprofessional management, no growth in the company, low pay, hours cut often, lots of drama. The tasks are methodical and can get boring very quickly. I knew girls who had worked there longer than I and were still making minimum wage. When I had my evaluation, I had a 20 cent raise for a year of hard work and dedication, which was a disappointment and eye opener about how the company and management feels about their dedicated employees.

Listen to what your employees have to say.

Esthetician

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely clients, treatment room is well equiped.

Cons

I have to work every weekend, the store manager is too young and power hungry, likes to breathe down the backs of employees.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!