Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 51 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions (in 43 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Company Culture

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts, Freebies from Vendors, Vendor connections

Cons

Low pay, low staffing, incompetent management, very political in store and no support

Please take a moment and set aside your own issues to realize the talent that is right in front of you. Grow your staff to be able to handle issues and tasks on their own and stand behind them. Also, tell upper management to find a way to budget more hours so your staff is dedicated to your brand and not constantly looking for another job.

Shocking

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ulta Beauty for more than 3 years

Pros

It has always been the customers, but now we have lost so many loyal customers and they all see how bad it is!!

Cons

Management! ! They treat us all so bad. I have personally seen a manager lie to get another employee fired! And the harassment.

Look into your managers in Palm desert, stop being fooled. They lie, steal and if they personally don't like you they will set you up to get you fired. I have seen it, and there is nobody we can trust.

This job gave me panic attacks.

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gratis is really the only pro.

Cons

Managers are way over worked and way underpaid. Store payroll hours are a joke. Managers are told they will be full time, but 30 hours is considered full time, so they have their own hours cut from 40 when need be to support the rest of the store. I herniated a couple discs in my back and was still expected to unload the truck and had to put inventory away while using a rolling chair since I couldn't walk well. Management didn't even care and wouldn't help switch shifts or take me off of truck duty. The atmosphere is annoying, with everyone expecting to be babied and you cant trust anyone you work with. I am trying to get out as fast as I can!

Give the stores some payroll to get your ridiculous mandatory tasks done. Pay managers more and keep it fair. Also, stop opening so many stores when the ones you already have cant support themselves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The only pro is the "gratis" you receive from some of the vendors but doesn't make up for all the cons. 401k, vacation and health insurance
    50% off salon services

Cons

I've been in management for over 15 years and this by far is the worst training program I've ever seen. This company doesn't invest in their employees and doesn't give their stores the payroll they need to keep customers happy. Minimal pay, low payroll, the employee discount is only 25%, the DM loves to threaten to write the entire store team up. No weekends off, work life balance is the worst I've ever seen in any company. If you have a family RUN! They stayed open 24 hours straight on Thanksgiving, didn't close Easter Sunday when no one else in our center were open. The GM's are over worked, the stores are under staffed they set you up to fail by making it almost impossible to provide great customer service.

Increase your payroll hours
    Invest in a great training program, will be worth it in the long run.
    Implement a work/life balance program

Ridiculous

Former Employee - Lead Cashier  in  Highland, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Highland, IN (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros. Worst 2 years of my life. I finally gave up and walked away to the company of my dreams.

Cons

I had walking pneumonia and when I gave my ER papers the manager asked "where does it say on here you can't come to work"?

Stop bringing your personal life to the work place. If you can't be as emotionally there for your employees don't be mad when they don't care. Be more professional and stop changing moods at any given moment.

Benefit Brow Bar

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

good clientele building. Tips are decent. on going training available and gratis.

Cons

Horrible store layout. not enough hours or coverage per volume of store(s). Too many salon and esthetics promos that hurt the licensed employees ultimate advancement. bad benefits for non-mgmt members. low pay but expected incredibly high return. unfair pay brackets. management should be overall more experienced. bad work-life balance.

Pay people what they are worth. stop lowballing your salon with endless promos that conflict with level jumping. support your full-time boutiques more for they are and can be your best approach to client retention.

Horrible.

Current Employee - Associate Manager Operations
    Current Employee - Associate Manager Operations

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gratis is great if you are management or prestige

Cons

No one is cross trained. Not able to take days off because I'm the only one who knows how to do the tasks that I do every week. Training is horrible. Not enough support from upper management (DM). Not enough hours to successfully get everything done. No sales hours need to be cut, difficult to make sales when you don't have anyone to assist customers. Worst job I have ever held. No one seems to care and it seems people only give 50%.

Give your people the tools so that they are able to succeed. All you here is the negative. Never once during a conference call of an email do you hear "good job".

blah

Former Employee - MSC  in  North Olmsted, OH (US)
    Former Employee - MSC in North Olmsted, OH (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

nothing really, it really is horrible

Cons

everything people sucked so much

Unprofessional management and not enough pros to outweigh cons.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Employee discount is nice and sometimes higher during the christmas season. You get to learn a lot about different brands of cosmetics. Prestige Consultants get a lot of gratis during trainings.

Cons

Very unprofessional management, no growth in the company, low pay, hours cut often, lots of drama. The tasks are methodical and can get boring very quickly. I knew girls who had worked there longer than I and were still making minimum wage. When I had my evaluation, I had a 20 cent raise for a year of hard work and dedication, which was a disappointment and eye opener about how the company and management feels about their dedicated employees.

Listen to what your employees have to say.

not a lot of money, but a lot of drama.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to work a lot of hours. sometimes. Have been trained in multiple parts of the store. got a promotion within 6 months.

Cons

Lack of hours. Look bad to customers because not enough time for anyone int he store to get stuff done. Horrible management. Corporate does not seem to be much better. not enough par for the multiple positions being covered. inconsistent hours. shifts cut a lot. unprofessional management.

Figure out how to get enough hours so something actually gets done. put people on shipment who know where things go and work fast enough to get the stock out. Train people better, don't just throw them on the register and expect them to be okay. Take iniative to train the employees based on NPS scores - not just rubbing it in their face when there are bad review left. have a manager on the floor, not just in the back all day.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!