Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated 15 September 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 51 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions (in 43 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Back stabbing experience!

Former Employee - Prestige Lead  in  Royal Oak, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Prestige Lead in Royal Oak, MI (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working with the product lines and representing the brand. I truly believed in and loved the products I was selling (Clinique).

Cons

Back stabbing and fake management. Everyone talked about each other behind their backs. It was a total joke!

Follow your core values and be professional.... Sitting in the back office and not working really shows your lack of caring and ability.

Associate manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The only pro is the "gratis" you receive from some of the vendors but doesn't make up for all the cons. 401k, vacation and health insurance
    50% off salon services

Cons

I've been in management for over 15 years and this by far is the worst training program I've ever seen. This company doesn't invest in their employees and doesn't give their stores the payroll they need to keep customers happy. Minimal pay, low payroll, the employee discount is only 25%, the DM loves to threaten to write the entire store team up. No weekends off, work life balance is the worst I've ever seen in any company. If you have a family RUN! They stayed open 24 hours straight on Thanksgiving, didn't close Easter Sunday when no one else in our center were open. The GM's are over worked, the stores are under staffed they set you up to fail by making it almost impossible to provide great customer service.

Increase your payroll hours
    Invest in a great training program, will be worth it in the long run.
    Implement a work/life balance program

Worst company to work for!

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Meet some pretty interesting people and make some friends If your lucky.

Cons

Management sucks everyone is fake!
    Don't get paid enough to do half of the stuff your asked to do.
    So much turn over.
    This place is a shame.
    Employees don't even know what there doing half the time.
    No help ever!

Management is the worst I was totally shocked by the back stabbing and fakery going on. Turn over is happening because of Management not the employees. When the big dogs come in management puts on a front acting as if they care about employees. It's all a hoax. They gloat about how well there doing and putting employees to the side it's wrong and there is no appreciation for employees. Absolutely shocked by how terrible the management is.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Quality Products used, Great training, Clean Salon, Guaranteed Hourly pay in salon.

Cons

You are expected to have 60 clients rebook with you every month before any advancement on part time hours. New stylists get first dibs on new Clients even if they were hired a day after you and there are three of them! You are expected to go up to customers and convert them into your clients if you are not busy in the salon. Favoritism is a huge problem. Being treated like a child and being brought into the office for "Coaching" constantly.

Look a little closer at who the real problems are in the salon instead of Favoring certain people. Less useless petty coaching with useless strict rules and more in salon training! Stop favoritism within the company. Make it easier for everyone to equally make money in the salon by creating a more fair system.

Not a company it once was.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount on hair services and product.
    I have met some great people that I would consider friends once I leave.

Cons

DM has their favorite managers and GMs. They receive special attention including gifts and inside information. If they don't like you, no matter how hard you work, you will purposefully hold you back and treat you different. There is no encouragement or praise only threats of write ups.
    Upper managers (DM and regional) dig through our damages (returned product from customers) and makes us put anything that looks "sellable" back on the shelf. BUYER BEWARE you may be buying items like lipstick, mascara and hair products that have been most likely used and returned by other customers. It's disgusting but we are made to do it then threatened to be written up over high damage numbers.

The district is about to experience very high turnover because everyone I know is unhappy and looking for other jobs. This used to be a great place to work and the last year has been a nightmare!
    Stop letting upper management promote their friends/favorites and promote the best candidates.

Absolutely the worst experience ever!

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

As a manager the free products are the best part of the job

Cons

This company does not value their management staff or any other staff for that matter. Everything is expected of you but the company is not willing to pay the employees more. I've worked retail for over 10 years and this job was what forced me out! Never have I been so mistreated by a company the way this one did. They would rather have a mediocre manager do the job and pay them half the money rather than keep a strong manager and give them the well deserved paycheck they earned.

There are better opportunities elsewhere.

Poor experience, poor management, no training, no technology.

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Vendor events, free samples, and beauty tips.

Cons

There is no technology, no training, lack of structure, low morale, bad attitudes.

Culture needs to be more positive and healthy. It's important to change processes and be open to new ideas, which they are not.

Benefit Brow Bar

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

good clientele building. Tips are decent. on going training available and gratis.

Cons

Horrible store layout. not enough hours or coverage per volume of store(s). Too many salon and esthetics promos that hurt the licensed employees ultimate advancement. bad benefits for non-mgmt members. low pay but expected incredibly high return. unfair pay brackets. management should be overall more experienced. bad work-life balance.

Pay people what they are worth. stop lowballing your salon with endless promos that conflict with level jumping. support your full-time boutiques more for they are and can be your best approach to client retention.

This company needs to get it together.

Current Employee - Cashier/Task Associate  in  Tuscaloosa, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Task Associate in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, good team member, occasional gratis.

Cons

horrible clientele, dysfunctional management, no time off, no help at all.

You need people to run a company. Having two associates in a store as big as ulta is no way to run things. The store is a mess because you have no help cleaning it. Please learn how to run a business.

Don't even bother

Current Employee - Hair Stylist  in  Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Being around makeup and the discount is ok.

Cons

The low hours the pay SUCKS no salon manager gm is never there!

Get management who actually care about developing your team! I made no money while working there. I was completely lied to about the money that I would make. Run far away!

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!