Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 57 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

A good place to get the typical retail experience.

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

They have a good discount and working there has helped me learn more about the beauty industry. It has also helped me grow when it comes to interacting with peers and different types of customers.

Cons

I've learned a lot about products and applying makeup because I was interested in it. However, the company doesn't invest too much in training for everyone in the store. The training is mainly given to prestige consultants. There is also a high turnover, which is due to the fact that managers hire employees too quickly without really finding out who a person really is. This leads to internal problems that end with unhappy customers, managers, and coworkers. The pay could also be higher for the amount of work that is expected.

I would definitely expect more investment of time and energy into the hiring process. Also, they need to create a better process for dealing with customer theft. There also needs to be more employee appreciation for the employees who work hard for the company.

A company that wants to see you do well

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant  in  Fremont, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Fremont, CA (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay (offered me a few bucks more than what I asked), great co-workers, amazing management who had your schedule ready and available a month in advance, excellent. Great opportunities to move up in management and new stores opening everywhere all the time.

Cons

Fluctuating schedule would make this impossible for a college student. Hours ranged from nearly full time, not only a couple hours a day.

Don't over hire, and try to be as consistent with the schedule as you can.

ULTA beauty

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

lots of gratis. amazing customers.

Cons

run like a cvs store rather than cosmetic store. poor management. high school drama and gossip. no team efforts people always trying to knock you down.

Get people that know the cosmetic industry. make sure you can manage and support a team not knock them down

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't plan to grow with this company

Former Employee - Prestige Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Prestige Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay compared to other retail stores. Employee discount. Gratis.

Cons

The employees have to be the police of the store making sure theft doesn't occur.

I couldn't believe what store managers were getting away with. There isn't enough overview at this company.

expected something different...

Former Employee - Associate Manager
    Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

25% discount
    Can use your discount in combination with your loyalty rewards

Cons

GM's never leave their office, no training...focus placed on tasking not the customer ...gossiping/cattiness...no payroll hours! Only 2 people closing on a busy Saturday...

my GM never left her office...she never walked her sales floor to ensure things were getting done...from 8am-5pm she was locked in the office...the schedule would change every week so she would never close...some weeks she only worked 30 hours...it was a disaster but I've heard from co workers at other stores this is the norm...GMs are really office managers...even on busy weekends...
    DMs need to be more aware of what's going on in their district...their is no training available and you only move up if you have a "polished look" or by some chance you get promoted out of desperation...the fact that their are so many open positions across the board should be an indication that the company has issues...the turnover rate is horrendous...this allure of the discount couldn't keep me there...
    And the clientele is terrible too...I had a lady yell at me because she couldn't use her 20% coupon on a naked palette when she already had redeemed $12 off in rewards points! I told her the coupons do not apply to prestige! I can't!

Organization not what it claims to be in values and culture. The organization has outgrown it's structure.

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about working for Ulta Beauty is learning about the products, skincare, hair care, and cosmetics and what they are really about, and receiving gratis giving me the ability to see for myself.

Cons

The challenges in working for Ulta Beauty are the fact that the company has higher expectations of workload and customer service duties than they are willing to provide the resources for (ie. payroll hours), and the communication systems are disorganized, inconsistent, and inadequate, and if your district manager is not a good person the company will not listen to you or help you but will back them no matter what. The organization lacks the ability to properly train managers, and some just never get trained for their jobs, causing mass confusion and overwhelmed staff because most everyone is new to the company. Depending on the manager, you can have a work-life balance. Values do not reflect their claims of values and culture. They would be good values if they were exercised.

Try bottom up strategies. Upper management and execs need to take a better look at what happens on the front lines, in the stores, when the expectations do not meet the resources. The training needs to be more in depth, longer and truly a priority for every new manager. Focus on training those who want to move up, to move up instead of hiring outside since Ulta is not the average retail store. Teach managers to understand the salon staff and learn to be coaches and teachers not hard nosed, unrealistic, formal, militants. Recruiters: beware of using unrealistic impression tools and exaggerating the true culture and opportunities of the company, this has created the loss of some excellent talent.

Rough start for a new esthetician

Former Employee - Esthetician  in  Woodbury, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Woodbury, MN (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing that came from working here besides for the experience I needed coming right out of school, was learning the Dermalogica product line and having the support of the instructors and fellow estis at the International Dermal Institute.

Cons

The pay is measly, hardly allowing you to maintain self sufficiency. If you don't have another source of income, I highly suggest avoiding this job. The pay structure for this is rigged so that you only make pennies off of a sale. I didn't even make $200 in product commission in nearly a year and a half and I sold a lot of product! There was no support from members of management and I was constantly made to feel like I was not good enough. You will spend a large amount of time walking the store to try to get shoppers to get services with you. If you don't want to be a sales associate, don't be an esthetician here...its part of the job. The treatment area is laughable. No enclosed room, no relaxing music. Just a half wall in the back corner of the store under florescents where your clients can hear phones ringing and screaming kids. I was embarrassed.

Take your salon employees seriously. This is the career they chose and need to be supported so that they can succeed. Dermapods where a step in the wrong direction. The dermapod doesn't allow for body waxing, the brow bar took the facial waxing. It's hard enough to make a living without being forced to cut services. Estheticians need to make higher product commission and their entire pay scale needs to be reevaluated. I would consider renaming the position, "esthetician/store associate," or just getting rid of having a esti in the store all together. The environment is not conducive to employing an esti that actually takes their job seriously.

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Skin Therapist
    Former Employee - Skin Therapist

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Salon Services (If you work in the Salon)
    Product Discounts
    Learn about many different products and brands

Cons

Management has no idea what they're doing
    Hour cuts
    No room for growth
    No training for Skin Therapists
    Skin care room is a joke, not a full room, no door, NO WAXING

Don't hire for full time if you're only going to work us 10-20hrs per week

Much potential to succeed

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Nashua, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Nashua, NH (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Many departments mean lots of potential to learn about a wide variety of products. Great co-workers who I've built lasting friendships with.

Cons

The one pro can also be a con - with so many brands and products its often hard to answer customer questions and leave you feeling like an idiot. Big expectations that can't be followed through with thanks to lack of training (literally none) and management support. In our state a licensed esthetician is necessary to color match yet the company doesn't have the money to actually have one on the floor at all times. Lack of staff and support is major. The company itself has lots of potential but needs to look at how they present themselves compared to other beauty companies and why they see success in areas Ulta does not. It's definitely possible to create a "beauty destination" for all needs without feeling like you are in a trashy WalMart in a bad part of town.

Be upfront and honest. If someone has no chance at promotion, don't tell them it's basically a guarantee. Don't tell everyone they are doing a perfect job when there are areas they can improve upon, constructive criticism benefits everyone. That being said however, think about the requests and expectations you have for people. Sometimes 3 thrilled customers are better than 10 so so ones. And phones ringing aren't such a big deal when all guests in your store are helped and happy. Don't sit in your office on your phone and then wonder why you are out of touch with your associates and customers.

Growing along with a growing company

Current Employee - Prestige Manager  in  Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been the Prestige Manager at my local store for 3 years now and I LOVE it! Great vendor support and guests that come in looking for me are a constant plus. I love learning about the new products and the seasonal launches constantly give you something to look forward to. The events are so much fun! I keep a running list of clients who like certain products so the planning is not hard but the actual events are the best! Gratis is fun and the discount is great-especially the additional discount we get during the holidays! Our General Manager lets me run my department and trusts my decisions, but is always there for support if I need her input. My hourly + my bonus is great (I had 30 years in the beauty/retail field) and the benefits once I went full time (after my store exceeded its goal and warranted more hours) are AMAZING! Great company-I could advance if I wanted to relocate-but I am totally content doing what I do!

Cons

Some of the biggest challenges are the part-time employees (almost all college students) who don't have any work ethic. The spend more time grumbling about doing a task , than it would take to do it. They think they should get paid to just show up, and don't understand the concept of cleaning, stocking or any number of the things that make up a job in retail. And forget about trying to get them to approach a guest or suggest any additional products or trying to "upsell". They think they want to work in a "makeup store" until they discover that we actually expect them to work and not just play in the makeup.

One of my biggest concerns is the amount of external theft that goes on in a single day. When you only have enough allotted hours to schedule two employees to work a shift, that just doesn't leave anyone to do LP. I would suggest that you give great thought to locking up the fragrance behind plexi and some of the higher shrink items like the Naked palettes.

Ulta Beauty Photos

Having some FUN at a Vendor Event
Ulta storefront
ULTA

+ Add Photo

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!