Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated 29 March 2015
1026 reviews filtered by

1. Great place to work as long as you don't mind not having many hours.

Former Employee - Esthetician in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

I loved the group I worked with and got along well with everyone. I loved doing facials and makeup and assisting customers in finding their perfect products.

Cons

The store was not given enough hours. In order to give management their 40 hours, they had to cut the rest of the employees. I was hired for 40 hours and when I left I was only working 17. You can only receive benefits if you are working full time. Since I was not receiving full time hours, I was not receiving benefits. There were girls that had been hired for retail at part time (10-25 hours per week) and they were only getting 1 hour shifts if they were scheduled at all. Because the retail floor was so short on help, I was pulled from my esthetician station to the back to do the work of the retail girls. I did not mind until management was upset with me for not doing client conversions although I couldn't because they had me in the back unpacking boxes due to being understaffed.

Not so much management as corporate. Their employees rely on the hours they were hired for and it would be great if they could give stores the amount of hours they need to support their employees.

2. not bad at all.

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training, nice people just in the beginning not the best management but they changed stuff around. all and all great company and a great training experience

Cons

they get ride of all the old staff but over all not a bad company to work for. lets of completion with S

they tended to over work great employees but over looked others and plus bad money management at time of employeement .

Rewarding career

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

My experience at Ulta has been very rewarding and positive. Many role models in the organization to learn from and grow from. Colleagues are very helpful and want for you to do well. Going to work everyday is so much fun and Ulta corporate makes it very organized and easy for you to get all your work operationally done on a timely manner. If you follow the outline they provide you will never fall behind and will always be informed as to what's going on. If you are doing your job consistently and really plan, prioritize and develop your team the work/life balance is there especially for a retail career.

Cons

Payroll can be tight but then again Ulta would not be so successful if they were just handing out payroll without caution.

You guys have really stepped it up with training and development; also many changes have taken place based of what recommendations were made at the store level; this has made a huge impact on employee morale :) Continuing to make positive changes like these will definitely bring and retain top talent at Ulta.

5. Company has been making a lot of changes for the better

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Learn a lot, room to grow.

Cons

Short staffed all the time

More hours

6. Great at first, not so much as you go on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than a year)

Pros

25% employee discount, freebies, flexible hours, room to move up in the company, easy jobs to do around store, great environment overall

Cons

Constant hiring which can affect hours, role/position status change without warning, can sometimes get stuck on a bunch of tasks alone and be expected to handle it all

Consider people's personal lives before making selfish and petty decisions which can not only affect you, but your employee as well. They have other things to handle besides working at ULTA. Also, when new members are hired, it doesn't make sense to give them more hours than the people who were already employed.

7. Great experience but not if you want to be in the make up industry

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Opelika, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Opelika, AL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Product knowledge, free items (depending on position), discount, and getting to know vendors

Cons

Management is terrible, hours inconsistent, unorganized management, drama, and middle school like coworkers.

More mature management that doesn't always put their feelings first.

8. Good company, low staff

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

It's a lot of fun, potential to go really far in a growing company, a ton of perks

Cons

Low hours means there's no staff in the store and you have to Do everything yourself.

9. Beauty Advisor/Team Lead

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Fun atmosphere and the products are fun to use.

Cons

Pay, catty women, expect too much with no time, schedule always changed.

Get it together. We all have families we need to take care of and can't stay over every day just because you scheduled everyone wrong with not enough coverage.

Good starter job. Black hole for management.

Former Employee - Prestige Manager
    Former Employee - Prestige Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty (more than a year)

Pros

Free products, Paid product trainings, Endless opportunities for personal growth and life lessons, Optimal networking atmosphere, Great for younger individuals looking for a light work schedule and exposure to the beauty industry.

Cons

No consideration for the personal lives of employees, Horribly run corporate structure, Insensitive and selfish corporate employees, No appreciation for hard work, Lazy IT department, Inconsistent policy follow-through, No insurance/benefits for management unless you work a minimum average of 35 hours per week, All employees are overworked and underpaid, Way too much is expected of all employees, High sales goals with low payroll budgets which makes accomplishing any side tasks next to impossible.

When I started this job, I LOVED it. I worked my butt off, and within a year I was quickly promoted from cashier, to Lead Cashier, to Prestige Consultant, to Prestige Manager. I loved everything about it until I dove deeper into the abyss of management. I didn't start to resent my job until I became familiarized with the corporate ladder.

There is a reason that you consistently hear complaints about Ulta employees having major attitudes or acting like customers are pests. As an Ulta employee, you are expected to accomplish a laundry list of tasks including, but not limited to: advise guests, be a cashier, maintain the aesthetic appearance of the store, and act as loss prevention personnel. While this may not seem like a lot, this is just the list for the average Ulta cashier. Management responsibilities are on a completely different level of unreasonable.

There is no one to blame here except for corporate. This company has become so incredibly stingy within the last few years. They are exceptionally greedy; always looking for a way to cut costs and boost sales, which stretches employees (mainly management) insanely thin. I was a Prestige Manager, and my department (which accounted for almost half of the entire store) contributed to 60% of the store's retail sales (not including salon and skin therapist conversions, for which we receive no credit). This was a requirement of the company. Nevertheless, I repaired a 10% sales deficit AND increased sales by more than 24% over the previous fiscal year. I cannot remember the last time I missed my sales goals or dropped below target on my numbers.
    Keep this in mind when I mention that I was not considered a "Full Time Manager", and was therefore not eligible for any company benefits, insurance, or vacation time. Prestige Managers have close to three times as many blackout dates for schedule requests as all other managers due to multiple month-long events that we are responsible for planning and hosting in-store. In almost a year and a half of working there, I can count on one hand the number of weekends for which I was permitted time off. To paint this picture for you, I was unable to request ANY time off or have ANY weekends off for the following months: January, March, September, November, December. For three months straight, I could not request any time off whatsoever. As it stands, I have not had a weekend off since the first weekend in October.
    I was given one raise within this time period.
    For such a huge company, you would think there would be some sort of appreciation or respect for its hard-working employees. Show your appreciation by listening to the concerns of the individuals running your business for you. We are in this business and experience the environment every single day. Our opinions are valuable.

Bottom line: this company does the absolute least for its workers. Like I said, it is an ideal job for younger individuals looking for light hours and some exposure to the beauty industry, but a black hole for anyone working a management role. You get stuck with the false sense of security that you have a solid job because you are constantly working, but you never have time to pursue other opportunities with better benefits because you are ALWAYS working.

To Corporate: If you want to get your employee retention rating out of the toilet, fix the issues and complaints you've incessantly been hearing from your workers. Ulta is a revolving door. Why do you think they're always hiring?

Amazing company!!! I love my job

Current Employee - General Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a great company to work for, I have been here for more than 12 years, and it's been a great ride since!

Cons

Holiday hours, but it's to be expected

More payroll hours would help