United Nations Foundation

33 reviews filtered by
3.7
Kathy Calvin

1. Intern

Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at United Nations Foundation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Even as an intern you get to meet and have discussions with influential people, whether they're in politics, other UN agencies, or in academic circles. People who work at UNF are generally nice, friendly and helpful. It's a great place to build contacts for future career placement.

Cons

The work can be high level at times, but this is the UN foundation, so that comes with the job.

2. GI was hired as a consultant for the Sustainable Energy for All (SE4ALL) team in the Secretary General's office.

Former Employee - Consultant On SE4ALL in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant On SE4ALL in New York, NY (US)

I worked at United Nations Foundation

Pros

I was able to work on the frontlines of international policy making alongside the foremost policy makers in the world.

Cons

Our team was hired last minute to avoid salary costs. Since we were paid daily rather than hourly, 18-20 hour days were not uncommon.

Advice to Management

Attendees of the 1st Annual SE4ALL Forum rated the event as a "C", not bad for a first attempt but thought it was rather disorganized and frantic, reflecting the attitude of the team leading up to the launch of this important international conference. And I think we probably had to spend more money on having everything last minute rush, weekend delivered than could have been saved by hiring the team with enough time to create a quality end product.

3. Very competent team with impactful programs.

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at United Nations Foundation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Dynamic, open work environment
    - Well connected team in Washington and beyond

Cons

- Some lack of integration between projects

Advice to Management

It would be good to harmonize the efforts of various programs

5. Well respected organization. For junior staff, a good place to learn and set up next job.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at United Nations Foundation

Pros

Benefits are really strong. Nice offices in a great location. Smart and interesting coworkers that can really make you feel like part of the family. Opportunities to meet and work with really interesting people. Great place to learn and make connections.

Cons

Very limited advancement opportunities. Organization is in a transitional phase so direction can be unclear at times. A lot of variation and willing between teams. Depending on team, there can be limited opportunities to apply what you're learning.

Advice to Management

Work to clarify vision and direction during this transitional phase. Might try to focus on employee retention and advancement opportunities.

6. Not Your Typical NGO

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time

Pros

Incredible benefits, good work life balance, very good culture, solid, mission driven plan. Thanks to Ted Turner, this NGO has a relatively large amount of capital to play with so at times that allows to it operate more like a business (which more NGOs should do!) than an NGO who has to worry more actively about scarcity. There are a huge number of people here with diverse professional backgrounds.

Cons

The NGO is going under a lot of changes as it spends its billionth dollar from Ted Turner. this means lots of exciting new opportunities but also some restructuring.

7. Good place to start, but not to stay

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at United Nations Foundation

Pros

I started here as an intern and worked my way up, I was with the organization for almost three years. It was a great place to start and I was able to make good connections with other organizations and individuals. The name of the organization carries more weight that the actual work that is produced. Beautiful office space.

Cons

Incredibly bureaucratic, and does not encourage creativity or new ideas. The organization is run like a company and it shows at all levels and fails to uphold the values it says it stands for. Upper management has little to no respect for junior staff. The work environment is very toxic resulting in very high turnover.

Advice to Management

Embrace new and creative ideas, or else you will lose the people that bring diversity and fresh ideas to the organization.

8. Working with UNF was the Worst Experience in my Career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time

Pros

The company has great name recognition because of the United Nations. When mentioning this company's name in conversation, most people do not hear you say the "Foundation" part of the company title and assume you are the United Nations. UNF's name carries more weight that the work that is produced. The company has great benefits and If you come from a culturally diverse background, you will fit in here.

Cons

I was excited to join the United Nations Foundation. They seemed very mission driven and from the outside seemed like they are genuinely making a difference in this world. I am a professional who has been recognized for my hard work and dedication but when joining UNF, there was no learning curve. They expect you to jump in there and know everything with minimal training. The department I worked in was timing me in my first week. How is one supposed to learn while being timed? The office gossip is also a put off. The people employed there engaging in office gossip and office politics make you question if these are the same people trying to make a difference in the world. Upper management doesn't really have respect for junior staff nor do they care about the hard work put in. If your mental health is important to you and if you want to be happy where you work, i would not recommend this company.

UNF treats its employees well, but campaigns are poorly integrated within the UNF umbrella.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management treats its employees very well with generous benefits and work-life balance.

Cons

If you are working on a specific campaign, you're experience will depend largely on the Executive Director and your team. UNF has a lot of very young people with limited work experience, but lots of enthusiasm. UNF doesn't seem to provide much training for EDs to improve their management skills.

Advice to Management

UNF should consider more rigorous evaluation of Executive Directors and provide them with training to improve their skills. Also, management should consider creating more jobs at upper levels to allow people to grow with the Foundation.

10. Good place to work, boring

Current Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at United Nations Foundation

Pros

Stable job, Employee protection, great benefits, great workspace

Cons

Boring work, very administrative, filled with red tape

11. good experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at United Nations Foundation as an intern

Pros

everyone in the office is very nice, learned a lot. Good internship opportunity.

Cons

Felt very removed from the causes we were helping.

Advice to Management

Have slightly more structured internship programs.