UnitedHealth Group

2.8 1,595 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

1,595 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some"
    in 200 reviews
  • "work-life balance (as long as you're not in finance)"
    in 99 reviews
Cons:
  • "It should care about people work life balance which don't happen in all cases"
    in 66 reviews
  • "which is hysterical considering we are a health insurance company"
    in 71 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Only Politics in UHG Gurgaon

Lead (Current Employee)
Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsSalary, Cab facility, Shift timings

ConsDirty politics in most projects, favoritism on peak. Good skills and deliveries do not matter at all, in fact it is discouraged. Only and only relationship matters and it is encouraged. If the manager likes you on a personal note then you need not do anything. One need to be skilled in 'Influencing without doing anything', ideal for people with this skill. Not recommended for hardcore technical guys, they will end up their career here, since they will be busy in deliverable and manager will get insecure because of this. WFH is no issue for favourite people but an issue for others.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome mechanism need to be in place to check smart managers playing politics but not getting caught. Real performers and sincere workers need to be encouraged.

From Salary point of view, UHG is best in the industry. But work pressure and leanings are not at all.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

ProsSalary is good, Great Infrastructure, Cab facility is good

ConsBad shift timings, Work pressure, no growth, Favourtisim.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the employees growth and dont suck their lives. They are also human beings.

4 Years at UHG

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood Employee Engagement.
Good Work and Personal Life Balance.
Work from Home facility

ConsHike % is very less
Very few project have scope of using latest technology, most of them work on old technology.

Mixed experience with UHG

Associate Lead (Current Employee)
Hyderābād

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay master, Fortune 17th Company, Laptop facility

ConsNo parking, No Trasparency, No proper policies, Lack of communication from Senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementI dont understand how many years UHG management take to provide parking to all employees. Rather thinking this as a benefit, think this as a need for every employee. Its very awkward to park vehicles outside the building and walk to the company. If you are not providing parking, you have to atleast accomodate free cab facility and it should be more flexible.

There is no transparency within company policies or benefits. Employees are restricted to avail benefits and whats the point in advertising them to the employees when they are restricted or required director level approvals. There are no point of contacts avaialble for specific problems, even if there are, there wont be any response from them, which is pathetic

Lack of communication from Senior management, even for the things that every employee should know. Everything comes as a surprise.

Apart from all these, UHG was a good pay master, but not sure whether its the same case now. I am proud to be with UHG because of its reputation as Fortune 17th company. Even though parent UHG company has reputation, there are lot of things to improve by UHG IT to maintain the same

Nice

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

ProsTime Flexibility and Good Growth

ConsWorking in US shift is sometimes very difficult.

working as pharmacy benefit analyst having 2 years experience

Pharmacy Benefit Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsI like the logical and challenging work types for designing & building benefit plans for OptumRx

ConsIt should care about people work life balance which don't happen in all cases

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed take care of the talented guys in work with out negligence.

associate

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat feeling working with uhg. worked as associate

Consas of now nothing to decide about uhg. its good company

Advice to Senior Managementnot bad

United Health Group - Best Place to work (Conditions apply)

Test Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWork From Home
Salary
Having fun at work

ConsLate night and weekend works,
importance to exposed guys rather than hard workers

Advice to Senior ManagementWell done is better than well said. Please give the importance to people who are doing the work, not to the people who are just showcasing...

Mushroom management, zero visibility. Your work in someone else's name.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsYou might meet some good people there.
The money is fairly good. Don't be scared to open you moth for it. You can get unexpected and outrageous amounts just by taking a shot at it during your interview.
If you want higher salary, put down your papers and say nothing. You'll be surprised with what they come up with to retain you.

Cons1. Fixed time slot based working hours. eg: 8:30 - 6:00, 11:00 - 8:30. Some folks might actually enjoy it.

2. New learnings are rare, very rare. You'll have to pull off something amazing for them to accept trying out something new. They moved to IE7 (finally, or a joke) in 2010 and do not allow use of any other browsers even to developers.

3. Open source is a big no-no. We finalized to use RabbitMQ for one of our use case. But the company policy said no to open source. We needed to submit it for open-source review and we'd get the result apparently after our project release.

4. Managers have god like power. They can do anything to your career at UHG. If you do not have good terms, they will let you rot for as long as it takes. I did not have bad terms but some folks I knew had.

5. Also, since you're a developer, you don't have any say. Even estimations are done by non-technical managers. How the hell does that make sense.

6. Awards are lollypops. If you see someone is not happy, poke it in their moth and they will be quiet for some time. Getting one does not mean you're deserving.

7. Our team did not have any significant work for around 5 months. My manager just created fake work. While two people worked, before every scrum call, my manager would come and say, this is the share of your work you're supposed to say you did in the call so that folks in US counterparts would not ask for a ramp-down. So turns out, I only spoke about 1hr of my work, while 7 hrs were distributed to other people's bucket.

My biggest mistake was I thought I could change things and stayed there for what I consider significant amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good people, you don't even let employee referrals through, and only big PM/DM's referral are taken. With the money you pay, you'll get better folks. But this might mean that you will have to fire 90% of your management people starting from PM, DM to even some directors.

Great Work-Life Balance and empowered roles

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work life balance, offers challenges to explore, flexibility, empowerment to innovate, reasonable pay master, great scalability, positive outlook

Consbias and favouritism, incorrect growth practises, irrational HR practises, increments should be bi-annual and bonuses should increase. No policy on higher studies or PG sponsorship or tie-ups with leading B schools

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the HR policies especially on vertical growth and promotions. Make it suitability oriented rather then time bound

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!

UnitedHealth Group Videos

UnitedHealth Group – Why Work for Us?

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UnitedHealth Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for UnitedHealth Group CEO Steve Hemsley. All 1,595 reviews are posted anonymously by UnitedHealth Group employees.