UniversalPegasus International

Updated 21 August 2014

3.2

Philip Luna

Ratings speak for itself

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for less than a year

Pros

May be a bit of higher paid salary, but they would probably charge this to the clients anyways.

Cons

This is a typical "permanent staff look-alike contract worker's place". They lure you in with a competitive salary and charge it back to the client. Once project is over, out the door you go. Management is non-existent, as every man for himself attitude is easily perceived. Once you're in their door, you need to find a "sponsor" regardless of your competency to be on the "project roster list". Or else, you'll be gone out the door, either forced or by your will. No such thing as development. They are on the borderline between being an actual corporate organization and scammers. Do yourself a favor and not even look in this direction unless, you want some quick bucks earned from contract type work (by the way, good luck with this). My lessons learned the hard way and I am trying my best to protect the innocent mass.

Can you even call yourself "management" when you're not listening or doing anything to fix the cancerous morale environment?

Worst place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is good. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Cons

Management is ridiculously incompetent. Layoffs galore. Don't expect ANY job security. Politics. It's very dog eat dog. And these guys are borderline corporate criminals. The project work was meaningless and boring, and even hard to come by. Don't expect any severance, they'll make up some BS excuse so they don't have to pay it. I see things getting much worse for this company.

You should work at Taco Bell, you are more suited for that work.

Neutral

Former Employee - Assistant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good health benefits, nice location in Houston. Offers participation in Charity work. Generous compensation

Cons

Didn't feel like a positive or collaborative environment. Couldn't really get a feel for company culture. Morale seemed lowed; company felt very segmented. Things could be better as there has been quite a turnaround in senior management staff since I was there.

Value your employees. You are nothing without them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people and fun working environment

I worked at UniversalPegasus International

Pros

Enjoyed working with the people

Cons

Promotions are promised but not kept

Good place for new graduates

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance, good working environment , nice and talent people

Cons

Management policy need to improve

Great Environment - Sr. Management Direction is all over the map.

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay & benefits. The work environment and employees are great to work with.

Cons

Lack of direction from the top. Owned by a PE Group that has just sold the soul of the company to bankers. Knee-jerk planning for hiring and subsequent lay-offs with no long term thought process. BD support is nonexistent.

Provide a clear directive for how the company is going to grow the business and push initiatives out that support that direction.

Extremely too heavy, unpredictable, untrustworthy and disorganized. Revolving door.

Former Employee - Support Staff  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits for full time staff. Recruiters will negotiate aggressively to bring talented people onboard. Most of the fellow staff/employees are very friendly and intelligent people.

Cons

Management is horrible and very political. You will often feel like a pawn in a petty game where management staff are primarily concerned in their own job security and furthering their own careers at any cost, with staff frequently getting caught in the crossfire. The resulting politics and fear amongst staff will often take precedence over actually producing quality work. It's not uncommon to receive conflicting direction from your many "bosses" and you will be frequently hindered in getting your job done efficiently as a result. UPI does not value employees and will lay off even the most talented staff when business is slow, especially if you are deemed "overhead" I.E support staff, HR, accounting, permitting, etc. Our recently acquired Calgary office (formerly IPPCL) is slowly but surely following in the footsteps of the Houston (read the other reviews here) as I am witnessing the departure of many good people, both due to being pushed out and also many leaving of their own accord. I've always liked management in Calgary but they are slowly losing their grip on this office to Houston. The Calgary president (who now reports to Houston due to the acquisition) had a policy of keeping good staff whenever he could even when work was slow. This was so that he could retain loyal and skilled workers who were ready to tackle the next big project as soon as business picked up again. This philosophy seems to be changing as UPI management in Houston slowly takes more and more control with each and every "alignment meeting" they host with Calgary staff. Do yourself (and your career) a favour and stay clear of this place unless you are looking for some quick "in-and-out" contract work.

While I doubt that any advice coming from an employee would actually be heeded by management, I would say that fear and politics is the biggest internal threat to the company. Focus on fixing the company culture from within, I.E focus on doing what you were actually hired to do as opposed to chasing large bonuses and short term personal gain at the expense of others. Staff will only be as loyal as you are to them.

More change is more of the same.

Former Employee - Design Staff  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Design Staff in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salaries, previous 401k was good.

Cons

Broken bonus plan that isn't tied to performance. Rumors of extreme bonuses for senior staff, some over 100k. Two of the top HR people have jumped ship as well as the CFO in the past six months. The CFO jumped shipped after only a year and then wasn't allowed to stay on during the transition.

Culture was suppose to be the focus last year and the chief idea was placing pictures on every floor on every wall. They left the pictures up even after they fired and laid-off employees. Unreal? Yep. Just what you want to see every morning, pictures of people that got dumped by the company. Company survey was last year and the results were never released. People talk about it all the time.

They say keeping top talent is a focus but recent changes are they took away all cell phones and made you buy your own. Insurance costs jumped by a large amount and the 401k match amount was lowered. The formal bonus plan of the past was removed without any announcement.

Bring back an actual bonus and incentive plan. Figure out why so many people are leaving. This company should have been booming based on the location and industry it is in. When hard times do come in the industry this company will get leveled.

Revolving Door!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is over market, but you are basically selling your soul. As soon as a project ends, you will be laid off and overpriced

Cons

There is no loyalty to the employees, they staff big for a project and then release quick when it is over. They say the company is doing better now, but that is a sign of the market picking up, not the business itself doing better. Big pay and big bonuses are paid at the top (yes, we hard workers know about that), kills morale. The CEO is coldhearted and unfeeling about the staff, current and former, but he is high on himself; you can see his picture and name variations on many of the company initiatives (Uncle Sam picture ring a bell with anyone?). They cut the benefits back, 401k matching percentage, which once was really good, was affected as well.

Some of the top management has left on their own; Business Development, Engineering, Finance, HR, Project Management to name a few. These people were making good money, so why leave? Because of the non-loyal, treat you like dirt, "I'm not listening, because you are beneath me" attitude of the CEO. Well Mr. CEO, one day you will realize you are only as successful as the people doing the actual work. When this ship sinks, you will probably still be the captain, but you may have no loyal crew. Curious as to whether you can come off your pedestal throne long enough to even notice.

Good people but the quality of work produced is mediocre

Former Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at UniversalPegasus International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and comfortable work environment with people that get along well. You can gain field experience.

Cons

The mentorship was very weak and they didn't do a good job of providing the necessary tools to succeed in the engineering environment. Not enough control over the client and their overall needs and always in a reactionary mode.

Need some more strong mentors and better organization of tools and more structured use of the tools.

Worked for UniversalPegasus International? Contribute to the Community!