University of Glasgow

3.7

CEO

University of Glasgow Research 'Associate

Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly working atmosphere
    Regular working hours
    Glasgow is an inexpesive city to live in

Cons

Standard Post-Doc Salary
    Lots of people are lacklustern and demotivated

Glasgow University PostDoc

Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice, productive atmosphere. Strong scientific impacts in a lot of different groups.

Cons

Some people get too relaxed and passive, not driving research effectively on their own.

Deeply dissatisfied

Former Employee - Senior Lecturer/Senior Clinician in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Lecturer/Senior Clinician in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

• The location is great, particularly for anyone who likes the great outdoors, and there is a lot going on in the city.
    • Many postgraduate students seem to enjoy the environment and the experience.

Cons

• I was employed at Senior Lecturer (SL) level for 6 years, in a role which combined being an academic and a clinician. During this time my experience was that the University (as an employer) was very happy to take (your time, your effort, your dedication) but very slow to give anything back, including any support.
    • In some Schools, including the one where I was employed, the criteria for individual advancement clash with what senior management will actually want - and expect - you to do in order to maximise financial gain and other markers of 'success' for the organisation. What is best for you as an individual is not given priority. Despite putting enormous amounts of time and effort into my work, regularly exceeding my basic working hours by 100% and more, and consistently exceeding annual targets none of this helped with career progression when it came down to it. In fact, those who progress are the ones who work out how to play the political game, and those who are sufficiently selfish to prioritise themselves at the expense of others. They then become managers, perpetuating the cycle of weak management.
    • In my opinion, there is a deeply, and worryingly misogynistic attitude ingrained in many of the more senior staff members of the University. This allows an insidious culture of bullying which the University seems to be making little effort to recognise, let alone tackle. The level of support shown to staff at middle and senior levels in particular is not good, and the environment can be hostile at times.

Until you start to support, invest and believe in your staff, you will continue to lose valuable individuals from relatively senior positions. This only weakens the University in the long term.
    In my opinion, ignoring/tolerating the undercurrent of misogyny and bullying is not a good strategy.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Academic
    Former Employee - Academic

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Glasgow is lovely. Good access to countryside.
    Pre restructure - I enjoyed working here. The workplace I joined had a great feeling of camaraderie.

Cons

This is my personal opinion:
    1. I had less and less time for research and ever greater teaching and teaching admin loads
    2. My yearly assessment only seemed to be about performance (papers/grant income/students supervised)- make sure you are aware of how you will be judged - look it up on the P&DR pages of HR. The emphasis on my development/promotion as an academic did not seem to exist
    3. I was hampered by a dysfunctional Institute/School structure. Infighting between university structures made life very difficult
    4. Poor administrative support in every respect
    5. In my opinion, women were treated poorly in my Institute.

How about taking heed of the staff survey

Telephone fundraiser job with the University alumni office. Good pay, treated with respect

Current Employee - Student Caller Fundraising Team in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Caller Fundraising Team in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You're treated with respect and the pay is generally higher than you would expect if doing a similar job out with the university. There is extensive training and flexibility with shifts.

Cons

There's not much room to move up in the role.
    The job can be monotonous after a while and you can be met with a lot of animosity from the alumni when speaking with them.

Had a blast and enjoyed my work

Current Employee - Digital Intern in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Intern in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The team was very supportive, I learnt a lot of new things but most importantly I got to develop my network. It also gave me an opportunity to add something extra to my CV which I am very happy about as I am still a student.

Cons

Sometimes it was hard to know what to do, and felt like perhaps I wasn't doing enough.
    Due to communication issues cross-teams we had our website moved without prior notice which cause a bit of a fuss.

Have better communication between levels. Due to that we had several issues with out website being moved. Have team meeting on a regular basis, not as an optional thing.

Diverse, cultural and family friendly!

Current Employee - Senior University Teacher in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior University Teacher in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've experienced great leadership at College and School level. As someone with a new young family, I feel very supported and accommodated.

Cons

It is a large institution which has its own challenges however senior management and leadership structures within the Colleges and Schools appear to work hard to minimise these.

Continue to support those employees who require flexibility around working arrangements while their families are young. When decisions are made that affect staff be sure to communicate the outcome in a timely fashion.

Fun, some administrative annoyances as with most jobs

Former Employee - PhD Student
    Former Employee - PhD Student

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's in a great location, the campus is really pretty, the cheap gym access as a student is great and there are lots of pubs and restaurants nearby. The department I worked in was full of interaction between research groups and encouraged co-operation between them.

Cons

The weather is not great...! Sometimes it felt like it lacked a great structure for addressing employee concerns about management. Some of the line managers could do with a little more formal training in people management, to make life easier and professional interactions smoother for all concerned.

Senior management can hamper progress rather than nurture it, this of course is strictly confined to the individual.

Former Intern - Research Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

An ancient, well-known, well funded research university, Glasgow will provide you with a lot of further opportunities, both within and outside it.
    The at the lower levels (other research assistants and PhD students) are really great. They go out of their way to help you develop.

Cons

If you work with a bad manager (supervisor) it can be difficult to get the core of your work done.
    The pay isn't optimal, especially when the requirements aren't clear.

There needs to be better organisation, transparency and collaboration. And I don't mean this in the cliche way! Politics, jealousy and secrecy get in the way of doing good research. The number of publications you have should be irrelevant.

University of Glasgow Photos