www.leeds.ac.uk

University of Leeds Vice Chancellor Michael Arthur
Michael Arthur

Loved the atmosphere

I have been working at University of Leeds

Pros

Top top banter, and great environment

Cons

Long hours and very demanding

Keep up the progress

I have been working at University of Leeds

Pros

friendly environment
    good communication with the colleagues

Cons

work-life balance
    challenging students
    office culture and good students

Great experience

Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Student Ambassador in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible to fit around studies, well organised, good pay higher than minimum wage. The team leaders did a good job of allocating work based on demand and training sessions were useful.

Cons

At times it was very cold on the open days and doors had to be kept open in the halls for some reason. Some people were very lazy and should have been told to pick up the slack.

The overall experience was satisfactory and pleasant.

Former Employee - Sub Warden in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sub Warden in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The experience gained here is invaluable. Every minute detail would be a great insight. The team work would inhibit quite a lot of new talents and there is much more that can be learnt .

Cons

The timings of the work might not be always according to ones requirement.

Russell Group underachiever

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The university, like many towards the better end in the UK, still has some obvious strengths. Academics have space to conduct research, students are pretty high quality and academic colleagues are very supportive. Many academics are driven to produce high quality research.

Cons

Management is very poor. In recent years it has become focused around an egotistical VC (now left) and a mangement cadre of Deans that slap themselves on the back, pay themselves high wages and cut down dialogue. They have expanded the admin function hugely across the university and then imposed these costs back on to academics to pay for. Ideally this should provide support for the core mission of the university, but admin nows rules the place and academics are constrained to support this rather than the other way around, with endless chains of paperwork, targets and internal budegts.

Remember that this is a university, not some second rate civil service department. Get the Deans to support their academic staff. Have a more visible and understanding VC.

Opportunity to pursue own interests

Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

What I really love about working at the University of Leeds is that I am free to pursue my own interests within the framework of our strategy. So long as what I do fulfils the objectives, I am able to carve out my own route, which means I am always enthusiastic and motivated about what I am doing.
    I also like the opportunity to interact with people outside of my own Faculty across the whole organisation, and have the pleasure of working with some truly amazing and inspiring people.
    There are also great opportunities for personal development and a very positive and inclusive culture.

Cons

The only drawback is that I can be a victim of my own enthusiasm and that no-one will ever tell you not to do things. You need to be able to balance your own workload and priorities effectively here.

Continue to give people the opportunity to grow and pursue their interests. It makes them more engaged and passionate about their work.

Ambitious interdisciplinary research

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Research Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Research Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A great working environment with supportive management and lots of opportunities to be involved in interdisciplinary research of a really high standard. Work-life balance was very good, and managers allowed me a lot of freedom in working hours.

Cons

The future direction of the research faculty I was part of wasn't especially clear. There had been some cuts because of the recession which left some research areas looking a bit short staffed (although this wasn't true of my group which was well supported).

A forward thinking institution

I worked at University of Leeds

Pros

A strong future lies ahead for the university - Investment, both in facilities and people etc. Top 50 uni in the world aim by 2015

Cons

Academic environment sometimes infringes upon a strong business minded approach - A flaw at most HE institutions however...

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Clerical Grade III in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Clerical Grade III in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An understanding employer, great holidays, pleasant working environment and a reasonable pay scale.

Cons

Hard work and commitment isn't always rewarded, some middle managers are weak and ignore laziness. Too many staff have too many sickness days. At times the culture can seem like a holiday camp.

Toughen up on the idle and those persistently off sick with minor complaints. One bad apple can potentially turn the whole team bad. Staff morale is lowered by witnessing managers turning a blind eye to the uncommitted.

Great internship opportunities for undergraduates.

I worked at University of Leeds as an intern

Pros

Good pay; great support from staff; great working environment and peers.

Cons

None that I can think of.

University of Leeds Photos