University of Leeds

3.9

University of Leeds Vice Chancellor Michael Arthur
Michael Arthur

Ambitious interdisciplinary research

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Research Assistant  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Research Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds full-time for less than a year

Pros

A great working environment with supportive management and lots of opportunities to be involved in interdisciplinary research of a really high standard. Work-life balance was very good, and managers allowed me a lot of freedom in working hours.

Cons

The future direction of the research faculty I was part of wasn't especially clear. There had been some cuts because of the recession which left some research areas looking a bit short staffed (although this wasn't true of my group which was well supported).

A forward thinking institution

I worked at University of Leeds

Pros

A strong future lies ahead for the university - Investment, both in facilities and people etc. Top 50 uni in the world aim by 2015

Cons

Academic environment sometimes infringes upon a strong business minded approach - A flaw at most HE institutions however...

Great internship opportunities for undergraduates.

I worked at University of Leeds as an intern

Pros

Good pay; great support from staff; great working environment and peers.

Cons

None that I can think of.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Clerical Grade III  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Clerical Grade III in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

An understanding employer, great holidays, pleasant working environment and a reasonable pay scale.

Cons

Hard work and commitment isn't always rewarded, some middle managers are weak and ignore laziness. Too many staff have too many sickness days. At times the culture can seem like a holiday camp.

Toughen up on the idle and those persistently off sick with minor complaints. One bad apple can potentially turn the whole team bad. Staff morale is lowered by witnessing managers turning a blind eye to the uncommitted.

Engineering Career life

I worked at University of Leeds

Pros

They let you to give your ideas and employ them in your research.

Cons

Not many financial support for research

Good employer

I worked at University of Leeds

Pros

Annual pay rise, extra days off after bank holidays

Cons

General lack of promotion opportunities

Very good environment. great work ethic. room for improvement and career advancement slim.

Current Employee - Research Officer  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Officer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary. Good experience. Very nice city to live in. Great work environment. challenging tasks and projects. Flexible hours which is always a plus.

Cons

Not a lot of benefits. Career would be fixed in the academia business. Research is challenging and exciting but it is mostly useful in such environments.

Professional and driven and a hubbub of multiple talents and backgrounds.

Former Employee - Alumni Fundraiser  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Alumni Fundraiser in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at University of Leeds part-time for more than a year

Pros

Forward-thinking culture and positive environment where every individual is acknowledged and cherished.

Cons

Not as many benefits as one would expect for such a high-ranking institution.

Spot and nurture aspiring and talented professionals.

Brilliant place to work, excellent facilities & staff benefits. Certainly one of the best employers in the country.

Current Employee - Computing Officer  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Computing Officer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The working culture is very employee focused, with flexible working patterns being available. Great support available for staff and the facilities (such as the gym) are superb. Excellent holidays and the variety of work means no two days are the same. You meet a broad spectrum of people, from all walks of life and working on Campus is a breath of fresh air. Been at Leeds for five years and enjoyed every day.

Cons

Staff can become jaded or institutionalised if they've been working in the same job for too long so not everyone is as enthusiastic as myself. Neither are all the jobs as interesting as my own so I wouldn't say my views reflect everyone's.

The workload can be excessive on occasion, but there aren't many jobs where this isn't true.

Communication to staff could be better from a management level. Sometimes the focus to make ever structure "corporate" risks alienating the people who love their job and do it with passion. The focus should be on lifting up the people who are jaded, not penalising the people who love the institution.

Leeds by name but not by nature!

Current Employee - Senior Administrator  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Mostly very good people. It's a well known institution and is mid-ranking in the UK. The University has a lot of potential, but it needs to up its game.

Cons

The University does not know where it is going. Far too much concentration on strategy with no thought paid to delivery. Senior managers are very ego driven and do not think about consequences of their actions on the staff. Very difficult to get a decision made. Far too much paperwork making all internal processes very slow.

Take a moment to work out where the University is going. Stop the internal competition which encourages people to stay in their safe little silos. Do something rather than keep waiting to make a decision!

University of Leeds Photos

University of Leeds

+ Add Photo

Worked for University of Leeds? Contribute to the Community!