University of Miami

Updated 26 February 2015
3.8

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala
Donna E. Shalala

Pros
  • Good benefits, especially health benefits (in 15 reviews)

• The UM is a reputable institution and has a beautiful campus (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of opportunities to grow and promotion (in 5 reviews)

• Not the best feedback and room for growth (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Large academic environment with many areas of employment.

Current Employee - Coordinator in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at University of Miami full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, salary ok, easy to transfer within the institution. Room for growth. Educational benefits are very good for those looking to gain a degree through their employer.

Cons

Can be challenging environment to succeed in depending on where you work. Very political environment. Hard to make changes with the structure due to multiple layers of leadership. Somewhat stuck in old thinking, or the "we've always done it that way" mentality.

Promote thought on ways to make the system better, and break out of the top down management mentality. Diversity should be rewarded instead of penalized. Look from within and find those who should advance. Rethink the salary structure compared to your competitors and the expensive cost of living in South Florida.

Undergraduate student

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

great school environment, moderate academic level, good community involvement

Cons

some of the professors are not really responsible, the ranking of the school is relatively low

Assistant

Current Employee - Assistant in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at University of Miami full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, the students are wonderful. I really like the corp culture.

Cons

Just stay away from drama and be professional

None

I have enjoyed my time here. The pay is on the lower end but the benefits are really quite good.

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at University of Miami full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly environment with many opportunities for professional development at the beginning of your career. Great health care benefits.

Cons

Slow to advance and when advanced only given a percentage increase of your salary. Difficult to advance salary in a meaningful way.

Great opportunity to expand my abilities and education. I felt I gained the skills to excel. I we constantly challenged

I worked at University of Miami

Pros

Room for growth; great team; flexible schedule; incredible benefits; excellent networking with other disciplines; constantly challenged in positive ways

Cons

Temporary position during a holiday break

Flexible scheduling with exceptional management

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Coral Gables, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Coral Gables, FL (US)

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

Friendly work atmosphere with a beautiful campus to work at. Facilities are top of the line and provide all necessary equipment and training.

Cons

Communication between departments and within departments is lacking in many areas. Some staff members do not take the time to learn the basics of other areas of business which leads to sometimes poor customer service.

Create a more comprehensive training program to better inform employees of other aspects of business.

Reservations Assistant

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

Great family feel for all work study employees. The U really cares about its students.

Cons

No parking. Other than that, great!

I worked at the UM Architecture Library while I was a student. It was a great place to work with flexible hours.

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at University of Miami

Pros

My hourly pay was increased each semester that I continued to work at the library. There were only two full-time employees of the library but they were great to work with and the rest of the employees were students.

Cons

Although it increased with each semester, the pay was still not very high. However, it was enough to live on as a student.

Graduate Student, Humanities

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Coral Gables, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Coral Gables, FL (US)

I have been working at University of Miami full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of top-notch, productive, publishing, creative people in the Humanities faculty. Some will be better at teaching than others. Lots of money, lots of resources. Administration is not a fan of the Humanities (None of the Deans are, themselves, Humanities profs), so expect financial cutbacks and shrinking of resources.

Cons

Job Prospects: A problem with the Humanities is that, those who are faculty now got their jobs probably before the Higher Ed Crisis, meaning, they don't know about the bleak job market, and so don't truly prepare you for it. You have to really prepare not to become an Academic with your PhD, and instead go into what is called "alternative academic" careers.

Climate: As UM moves to more of a coporate model, it will become more and more of a cutthroat environment: grad student against grad student, faculty in it for themselves. If you are a competitive type, channel those instincts.

uh, academics are famously not open to "advice."

University of Miami Photos