University of North Carolina

Updated 9 September 2014
3.7

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt
Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees (in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place, difficult environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Beautiful campus, great fellow faculty, wonderful students.

Cons

Tend to promote outstanding academics who are clueless with how to lead, manage and serve as the administrator for a program. Another real threat to this great university is a clueless legislature who seem to be singularly focused on gutting the essential funding to primary, secondary and higher education.

Solicit input from your faculty and pay attention to the input.

Get to know the department's environment

Current Employee - Grants Manager, Accountant  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Grants Manager, Accountant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, this is a great Univeristy to work for. It shows great appreciation for its employees.

Cons

My department's environment was great however, there was no potential to grow within that particulat environment. Everyone seems stuck in their current role.

Has a whole, I have no advise for the University.

Great school, would attend again!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great University, Currently a great department, Great town and metropolitan area. Most professors and groups support healthy work-life balance.

Cons

High student fees make compensation less than it seems. Take $2000 off your yearly stipend to find out what you will really be making. Because of the recent scandals at UNC, things tend to get swept under the rug.

Compensation needs to be more, but they are slowly increasing the graduate stipend in my department.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place for graduate work

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, tuition award. Campus is nice to looks at, there is good public transportation in Chapel Hill. My immediate coworkers and supervisor are nice people.

Cons

institutional culture is disconnected from reality. Undergraduates are prideful tools. Institutional culture is poisoned by focus on athletics to the exclusion of improving the university. That and having a blank check.

Less emphasis on NCAA athletics, more emphasis on literally anything else.

An experience that has left me with new skills but also knowledgeable about the things I DON'T want for my next position

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Pros

Little supervision in the sense that I didn't someone breathing down my neck all the time, but always able to find someone if I needed to ask questions or get feedback. Collaboration between programs and research centers was invaluable. Great benefits as an EPA employee (almost 5 weeks vacation!).

Cons

Academia. Other centers may be different than the one I worked for, but I will never work in academia again. Too much thinking and not enough actually making a difference in people's lives.
    With academia also comes the rigid hierarchy. Unlike public agencies on the county or state level, a master's degree is not respected when working with MDs and PhDs.
    Because you are a state employee working at UNC, your opportunities for raises are small. Some flexibility if there is extra money in a grant but otherwise, we've seen very small raises the last few years.

Frank Porter Graham Student Union

Current Employee - Events Management  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Events Management in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment and great people.

Cons

Over hiring and turbulence in management

There is a lot going on with full time staff such as many of them doing double duty. Fill vacant positions.

Good University

Current Employee - Clinical Instructor  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Pros

Respectful employer
    Flexible schedule
    Pleasant university atmosphere

Cons

Low pay
    Slow advancement schedule
    Parking is impossible

A typical graduate student experience

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Pros

Just like other PhD student salary, at least in the bio area. You can live ok with the stipend in chapel hill area.
    The TIBBS often send out "Jobs, Postdocs, and Other Opportunities" emails to students and post-docs.

Cons

Benefit sucks, insurance package is not good. Not just the RA/TA insurance, my staff friends/coworkers told me their previous jobs provide much better benefit and insurance package.

a good neplace to do research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Pros

I am in the Biochemistry and Biophysics department. The lab layout is open space lab which promote member interaction between labs and resource sharing.

Cons

Parking is very limited. Most of the employees park outside of the campus and take bus to come into the campus.

Benefit is ok. Working culture is pretty good. People are friendly and willing to help. A good place to start a career.

good place

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Instructor in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nice people, nice place, do not push you, work-life balance

Cons

not challenge enough to update your knowledge as an instructor

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!