University of Nottingham

Updated 15 August 2014

3.9

Professor David Greenaway

Ten Years and Counting

Current Employee - Teaching and Student Support Officer  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Teaching and Student Support Officer in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

Good salary structure.
    Good career opportunities.
    Good colleagues to work with.
    Interesting mix of students.
    World-renowned employer.
    Good fringe benefits.

Cons

Work Place Parking Levy - a rip-off imposed by the City Council!!

Great university - great schools and programmes offered.

Former Employee - Student  in  Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Student in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros

This company has a good reputation and is a great place to work. I would happily advise any of my friends to work at this company.

Cons

Certain red tape is unavoidable in this company. They need to take into account student views if they want to really show that this is a part of their goal.

Engage more with students when it comes to decision making

My experience has overall been positive. Excellent academic staff and able administrators.

Current Employee - Teaching Associate  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Teaching Associate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

Strong research and teaching environments and high-quality students.

Cons

Occasional interference in academic reserach/teaching by management rulings.

Leadership is fine, as long as it does not lead to interference with academic work. Also, while getting positive student ratings are important, it is not always about giving students what they want, but rather about providing them with what they need.

Some high-level academic staff need to be convinced to contribute more extensively to teaching.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice experience to work with prominent researcher in my field

Current Employee - PhD Student  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

working with the leading researchers, the quality of teaching, nice friendly atmosphere, global recognition of the university, availability of stuff members to help.

Cons

Not particular challenges I have faced so far. The only thing I want to mention is that you need to work hard to catch up with the high level of standards if you come from other universities (particularly from abroad). But it is completly normal for the university with a reputation, and I would not imagine the other way around to comprimise the quality of teaching to attract more students from abroad.

Not what was sold to me

Current Employee - Barman and Undergraduate Student
    Current Employee - Barman and Undergraduate Student

Pros

Social live within the city is great and the societies are great.

Cons

The halls are hugely overpriced, quality of campus food is low and very overpriced, especially on the Sutton Bonington campus. Meal cards used for Main campus students cannot be used at Sutton Bonington, Access to building is restricted to say the least and even my own schools doors are in accessible after 6pm.
    Poorly run courses with the few exceptions of 1 or 2 talented lecturers. Was promised a course that would broaden my employability options, this is true mainly due to the fact nobody within my degree knows what jobs they could get as we haven't learnt anything to a level appropriate to the work place of many students ideal career paths. As well as a student I have also been an employee. They treat casual staff as though mean nothing to them and take no advise that we on the front line know would work. As for full time staff they too revive no voice in the decisions made by management and they wonder why things fall apart and there are mass communications problems over every sector of the university. Pay for full time staff is disproportionately low compared to that of CEO's and deputy principles, no wonder staff strike when top staff earn in excess of 200k a year.
    Furthermore the hopper bus situation is dismal, buses to Sutton bonington are late and often do not turn up and so many students, researchers and professors have complained about this but to no avail.

Listen to those on the front line
    Don't lie about what your University offers
    Better communication is essential
    Sort out the busses

It is a great organisation and you can work with capable and dedicated people, but there are many frustrations.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

Most of the people I work with are genuinely committed to Higher Education, the University, and working well with their team and are proud to work here.

Cons

Pay is generally very good but reward for stronger performers is not great which is demotivating, nor is general support for staff good, and processes and systems are more a hinderance than a help, and it can take a lot of perseverance to get through them - though things are improving. Senior management aims to listens, but seem as constrained as anyone else in actually changing things for the better, and get it wrong as often as they get it right, and seem to be fairly inexperienced for the level of responsibility they are given.

Acknowledge that just because you hold a more senior position does not mean you have a better solution to whatever the problem or challenge is.

A fantastic place to work with highly talented colleagues set in a beautiful campus

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

Opportunities seem endless in this place with so many chances to; undertake professional development through the number of courses available to staff, take part in volunteering activities whilst being able to attend lectures on a vast array of topics. There's always the chance to get involved in something if you are willing to contribute.

Cons

It's a very large organisation and so can sometimes feel like you are lost in the middle of it all, perhaps not knowing where to turn if you are looking to undertake a task. It can be a little disorientating at first with so many different schools, departments and teams.

Flexible working opportunities need some form of standardisation across the university, in some instances it seems as though the opportunity to work from home on occasion is reserved for a select few despite technology being readily available to allow this.

Worked as a temp, a great experience overall

Pros

Friendly staff, thorough induction on starting work, manager helpful with regular reviews, great setting and facilities to make use of, good location

Cons

As a temp working for a few months there were no cons for me, I was given time off when I needed it and my manager was great

Nice experience

Former Employee - IT Office Intern  in  Ningbo (China)
    Former Employee - IT Office Intern in Ningbo (China)

Pros

Get to meet different people

Cons

some times not convenient hours

Excellent opportunity for personal and career development.

Current Employee - PhD Researcher  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Researcher in Nottingham, England (UK)

Pros

Good links with industry, such as Rolls-Royce and Airbus. Beautiful campus and lots of internationals, so a very diverse culture around the area.

Cons

Can't think of anything at the top of my head.

Keep up the good work.

Worked for University of Nottingham? Contribute to the Community!