Unum Group

Updated 4 December 2014
3.7

Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen
Tom Watjen

Pros
  • Unum stresses a great work-life balance and backs it up by offering a generous amount of vacation time (in 14 reviews)

• Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and business leaders do not value technology or staff (in 6 reviews)

• big company, unrealistic goals, too number focused (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great customer focus and treats employees very well

Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist in Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unum has a genuine regard for their customers. The customer focused is highlighted throughout the company and is examplified by upper management. Each employee has a developmental plan that is reviewed and encouraged by managers. Unum has a great work environment with strong company values around family.

Cons

Because the company is so large, many positions are monotonous. However, there is much opportunity to grow in your career and switch positions which helps mitigate this problem.

Negative--learned a lot--mostly that I will never recommend this company to anybody.

Current Employee - In 7 Years All Kinds of Roles in Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - In 7 Years All Kinds of Roles in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any for any educated person. If you have a highs-school degree, it beats working at a fast food restaurant for sure, but then again that is all Unum is made out of now. Everybody who can do more moves on.

Cons

POLITICS. Mediocre mid level managers hire and promote each other, so you have a lot of YES people who are undereducated and would not know how to lead a starving horse to a bag of hay. If you have an MBA and are aspiring to do great things, they will not promote you because you are a threat to the VPs and AVPs who are undereducated and clearly underperform. The company cannot bring to fruition anything new because they do not have leaders who can execute. The company is performing based on inertia. The initial leaders set the pace years ago and it is still kind of rolling. I am shocked that it is still in business.

Advice to CEO. Fire all the mid level managers and hire people with at least half of a brain. All of my managers were undereducated thought that they are all that, when really they were the leftovers of all other companies who would not hire them. That is all UNUM now. Advice to Management--if you think anything of yourself and if you are more than what I witnessed in 7 years and what my husband witnessed in more than 10 years--get out of there because my opinion of you is shrinking as days go by. How can you hire somebody to be manager in IT when that person has a high-school diploma and does not even know probably what IT stands for. Shouldn't she at least have a 6 months course from somewhere

Poor career opportunity

Former Employee - Low Level Associate
    Former Employee - Low Level Associate

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to live in Chattanooga or Portland this is pretty much your best chance for employment. The work life balance was nice, I never really had an issue where my mangers were not reasonable about an emergency or PTO request. The CEO is also a really nice guy and is very visible.

Cons

Pay is way below average (when I left and interviewed at other companies the interviewer actually laughed at what Unum was paying me). Benefits are really not that great like others say in their reviews, the overall employee base is just really unhealthy and old so when I left and compared my plans I was being shafted by being young and healthy. Also, if you are not a manager you really won't be one if you stay with this company. The company does have a management-training program, but it is still rare that someone who goes through that program actually moves up.

Pay your employees (not just your managers) a fair wage. You really need to look at how much say you let other mangers have in your hiring of mid to high level employees. The hand pick managers from previous managers just leads to a society of yes men and inhibits new thought processes. Lastly, invest in technology, when I was there you were still using systems from the 70's.

Unum Disability department is a sweatshop for claims.

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

unrealistic work loads. Management has no concern for employees career path

It's a job!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, positive managers, solid company, amazing campus with plenty of extra teams and groups to join, overall very nice place to me.

Cons

The training programs on great and it's very easy to get stuck in one job for a long time unless you actively get out. They are easily the slowest company at making decisions ever. It took me a solid week or two before I could even get approved for applications...

Make a conscious effort to grow your employees, invest in them and they won't leave you for competitors that will.

Marketing Consultant

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant - Field Office in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant - Field Office in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay for new college grad. Work-Life balance. Great training program.

Cons

Job title is a misrepresentation of what the job is really about. The job title is used to attract new college grads, but when hired, you learn the job wasn't what you were hired for. The field offices have different values and goals than home office so there is a disconnect between the two places when they should work together.

Management should be honest and upfront with employees on expectations.

Revolving Door

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

The staff (claims reps, vocational, medical staff) are great to work with.

Cons

This company has a revolving door- so many employees leave after a short time there.
    No matter how well you do your job, directors/management tend to focus on the negative too much. I believe they are trained to do this.
    If you are a working mom, forget about being good enough to make it to their annual performance/achievement club, mostly at Disney World. I kept a log, mostly young single employees who are able to devote more time and go to happy hours tend to make it on this list. Women who make it are young and/or single.

Re-evaluate a "manageable case load". given all of the "extra" steps reps. must take on claims, Management is out of touch and seems focused solely on profit.

Great company, slow moving

Current Employee - Programmer in Carlow (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Programmer in Carlow (Ireland)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great.
    Lots of opportunities.

Cons

Very slow moving, it can take months to get projects approved, let alone started. In that time assigned work can become mind numbing.
    Would not recommend for young, driven developers.

Unum is a great company, who looks after their employees well.
    Identify stand-out developers who enjoy the job for the challenge, don't let them stagnate in their role.
    Identify those who enjoy the repetitive tasks (they do exist), and give them the work that is pushing the stand-out developers out of the door.

Very Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unum is very good at marketing their products and what they do for the community and employees.

Cons

Big company - many people in line for the same career promotion. Too big where it is harder to stand out than a smaller company.

good benefits and co workers - bad management

Former Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Former Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the benefits are excellent with good vacation, insurance and 401k. the co workers are also good

Cons

the management typical works you to death to meet numbers. they say they care about employees but its all about numbers to them. the pay is not reasonable compared to what someone with the same degree can make elsewhere

if a caseload for a specific job is 250 do not give someone 150% then wonder why everyone is behind. use common sense and listen to the specialist not a number on a computer. use commons sense!

Unum Group Photos

Unum Building, Chattanooga (Photo thanks to Flickr user Larry Miller, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Side of Unum building and part of parking lot during the snow storm we had a few weeks back. (Photo thanks to Flickr user Always, Erika with permission, All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo