VCA Antech

www.vcaantech.com

VCA Antech Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
VCA Antech – Sebastopol – “post neuter”

VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin

Bob Antin

Pros
  • Helping animals, used to have a great employee discount, employee pet feeding plan/discount, and free revolution for my cat(in 15 reviews)

• Working with animals and gaining experience in that field(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients(in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul(in 7 reviews)

Not worth staying long term.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsWorking with animals and having a good relationship with coworkers.

ConsFor the most part VCA Denver employees are like a family. Employees here work very hard to keep clients happy. They stick together because deep down know that the corporation side of the business ignores what goes on. Year after year, employees work flexible shifts, deal with sometimes irate clients, are responsible for more than the job descriptions state and yet DO NOT GET RAISES. Benefits are offered, but most can not afford to pay into this. Discounts are given, but that too does not pay your bills. Trying to go overtime here is a no no. Some people work 40 hours a week here and part time somewhere else. What?! They shouldn't have to! It leaves very little time for their families. Most people come to work everyday and try to stay positive given the situation, but it gets very frustrating knowing no changes are made. Employees can't be the ones to make these changes. This has to start with Supervisors, Managers, Administration etc. The turnover rate is unlike anything I've ever seen before. This place has lost wonderful employees. Off the top of my head I'd say I've seen VCA Denver lose nearly 30-40 people a year. That is horrible. How is this even acceptable? For one reason, the hospital takes in many Bel Rea Institute Interns which is great for learning purposes but to a long term employee who has been their for years with no raise and decides to move on from the company, they don't feel valued. They are replaceable by students and forgotten about. It seems as if VCA does not even bother trying to keep anyone here and they are losing some really great people. Very sad.

Great company, but the pay isn't great.

Receptionist (Current Employee) Mission Viejo, CA (US)

ProsIt's a big company, so you are covered with all of you lunches and breaks.
    You can transfer to other VCA's across the country if you move.
    The discount is amazing if you have sick pets.

ConsThe pay isn't great. They expect a lot for a little. Hours can be hard to come by.

Tech

Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsDecent pay and benefits, that's pretty much it.

ConsUpper management thinks so highly of themselves they fail to remember they are also human beings. They expect you to do tasks that they simply don't want to do, expecting you to drop anything your doing at the drop of a hat. Deppressing environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe training would be a good idea for EVERYONE. Upper management needs to understand the world doesn't revolve around them and a team environment would be much more helpful. Also, hiring people who are just there for a check and don't really care cause the people who docare a lot more headache.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great but awful all at the same time.

EC Vet Tech (Current Employee) Warrensville Heights, OH (US)

ProsQuality facility/equipment, knowledgeable doctors. Very caring staff. Try to do the right thing with the leniency we have for the pets and owners. Best pay in area for EC.

ConsManagement is poorly managed, lack of a better term. Attempts at micromanaging don't go over well. Complete disconnect from upper mgmt. New hires are not trained, just thrown to the wolves. It's is a corporation, run that way, money always comes before patient care, unless individual doctors take the risk and "break the rules".

Advice to Senior ManagementTry harder to show that your employees matter. We are not just a number and a list of skill sets. Some skilled employees don't deserve the job, some unskilled ones are better workers that others will ever be.

Not paid what you're worth no matter how experienced or educated you are

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsWorking with animals and gaining experience in that field. Chance to gain promotions but it is difficult and usually requires someone leaving their job post. Health care and 401 K for full time employees but if you make only $9 an hour it's a big chunk taken out of your already dismal paycheck.

ConsPay is terrible and you only get a raise once a year and it's not even a good one. Since the pay isn't very good you work with a lot of people right out of high school or people who don't care and are just there to get a pay check to have one. The cost of living is very high and they don't pay you enough to be able to live on your own even if you're full time. If you're a veterinarian then you're fine but people on the lower pay scale suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees concerns. Hire people with better experience and maturity. Be more proactive in letting the company heads know that we employees are worth more than what they give us. Employees who are educated and experienced should be treated as such and get the pay and perks they deserve. This would be a great company to work for if we were treated like we actually mattered.

It was a great team, although sometimes we were stretched thin.

Veterinary Medical Technician (Former Employee) Saratoga, CA (US)

ProsVery good about paying overtime, decent time-off policies, schedules were, for the most part, accommodating to your personal life.

ConsFelt short staffed at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore staff!

A great company if it was still 1982

director of communication and user experience (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsFamily friendly
    Great employee discount
    Easy parking
    Holiday parties and fun contests
    Monthly staff lunch
    Some buildings are pet friendly
    They really love animals

ConsManagement is unstructured
    Sexism and ageism run rampant
    No room for growth
    Hostile work environment
    Outdated view on the business community

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat female employees equally. Judge us on our work and be mindful of how you talk to us. We are your employees - please remember that.

Complicated

Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) Franklin Park, IL (US)

ProsGreat staff, Veterinarians and great to work with and really care about the techs and the animals.

ConsDealing with management and higher ups is extremely difficult. Always walking on pins and needles because of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in t=your "lower" employees shoes. Try and see things from their point of view.

keep on looking, underpaid, underappreciated, very difficult to have a life outside this place!

Tech (Former Employee)

Prosgood pet discount although prices are high to begin with
    locations everywhere good if moving you can transfer to another location until you get to know the area and hopefully find something better and trust me it shouldn't be hard to find

Consvery under paid
    never a consistent schedule, changes day to day week to week
    get sent home if there's no appts bc they cant loose money
    have to stay late other times-like an hour or two late
    get called right before coming in saying don't come in today its to dead
    get called before shifts saying call back at 12 to see when to come in the 3 to see when to come in basically your entire day turns to on call status
    cut hours frequently and when they send people home then appts book up and we are very very understaffed
    SO MUCH FAVORTISM - only if your go out and drink and are friends with management do you get any appreciation/ first say in the scheduling
    say they have no money for raises or anything but give vets giftc ards for high performance each month/ always redoing the hospital in some way
    randomly extend hours/ days open with hardly any notice to employees
    cut hours to 28-36 for full time and never let you have overtime even when understaffed
    NO ROOM FOR GROWTH

Advice to Senior Managementstop favoring employees, stop going out and trying to be best friends with them this isn't high school or college its a business.
    stop caring more about how much money you are making and start caring about your employees because then the employees will care more about the company instead of having such high turn over rates or employees saying everyday they come in they shoudl've called out

Poor Quality Care. One big Sorority House

Veterinarian (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits (401k, health, pet benefits, CE days and funds) . Good pay. Good CE events. Several hospitals in network across country.

ConsLack of emphasis on quality patient care, work ethic, and client service. Too much emphasis on everybody being best friends. Way too much favoritism based on who is friends with who. Lack of professionalism

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what a veterinary hospital is supposed to be there for. Patient care and client service. Allow your medical directors and hospital managers to manage. And if they are not managing, they should not be there. Remove the focus from being one big party.

Worked for VCA Antech? Contribute to the Community!