VCA Antech Reviews

159 reviews filtered by
1.9
VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement (in 16 reviews)

• Pet discounts, surrounded by people who love animals all day at the hospital level, so most are dedicated and really care (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul (in 7 reviews)

Founded by venture capitalists, not veterinarians, the focus is on sales and profits rather than a vets oath.

I worked at VCA Antech (More than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement if you are willing to go the corporate route.
    Job security.
    Easy to relocate.
    Opportunity to train. Frequent paid seminars.

Cons

Poor pay, worse benefits.
    Emphasis is on profit and sales, rather than the veterinarians oath.
    Employees are expected to be equally good salesmen as vets, technicians, etc.

There is no respect given to employees.

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

The people working there, for the most part, really do care about your animal.

Cons

Low wages, zero respect, questionable morals. All this company wants to do is make mass amounts of money, they need to understand they cant step on everyone, including their customers. They buy low and sell very high and then claim supremacy.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring employees with no experience just so you don't have to pay higher wages. I think the company can afford it.

Revenue Accountant

Former Employee - Revenue Accountant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Revenue Accountant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

There is no best reason to work for this company

Cons

Work is endless process and you work more than 10 hrs a day. They only want you to work and don't live your life

Advice to Management

Should start thinking about their employees rather than focusing on making more money for the shareholders.

Reception

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have multi able areas

Cons

High school drama with the doctors. Insurance sucks especially after the doctors get it for free and the staff has to pay for it. Up sale every thing. Out for the money not for the pet.

Antech Diagnostics Not Recommended...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY (US)

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, a parking lot and close to bus stops. There are some nice co-workers. You can learn how the corporate culture works, which may be useful for avoiding it in your future.

Cons

Long hours for every job position, low pay, half hour lunch breaks, expensive healthcare options with huge deductibles, disrespect from supervisors, bathroom breaks are scrutinized for time and frequency. Overtime is expected but not appreciated. Good work is over looked, you will never hear the words "good job". Any mistake is exaggerated beyond rational expectations. Jobs here are mainly entry level, even when they sound like so much more on the interview. Plan to learn fast and move on from this "stepping-stone" company with an extremely high turn-over rate.

Advice to Management

Raise the base pay, stop the 8.5 hour workday, add a one hour, paid lunch break. Being treated like a valuable employee starts there, the returns to the company can be huge. There is a lot more work to be done. Every single person with any subordinates should be required to attend meetings designed to help them properly deal with employees.

Only in it for corporate profit.

Current Employee - LVT in Newark, DE (US)
    Current Employee - LVT in Newark, DE (US)

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The other employees, who genuinely care about the outcome for clients and patients.

Cons

We are all getting swindled. Tha Antins have built an empire on the blood sweat and tears of good hard working people they overwork and under pay

Too corporate for me

Current Employee - RVT
    Current Employee - RVT

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The location I work for is a busy practice, so I gained a lot of experience quickly there.

Cons

All they care about is money. You have to negotiate hard for any raises or CE reimbursement. They care more about selling their wellness plans and making sure everyone wears the proper uniform than actually practicing quality medicine and they'll try to get you to work 50 or 60 hour weeks unless you stand up for yourself and protect your free time.

Advice to Management

Start focusing on getting and keeping quality staff and I bet you the money will follow. A bunch of new, inexperienced staff and doctors all fumbling around is never going to win you client trust and drives away those of us who want to be proud of their work at the end of the day.

9. Senior Financial Reporting Analyst

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Great Working Environment, Managers, and colleagues.

Cons

I can't think of anything bad.

Don't believe the recruitment ads.

Former Employee - Veterinarian, Medical Director in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Veterinarian, Medical Director in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, 401K and "some" decisions are made at a local level. And that is being nice.

Cons

The immediate money is what counts at this company; pet and pet owners are secondary. And staff is at the bottom of the scale!!! 3 paid holidays per year!! And raises/salaries are low, yearly only, no matter how hard you work. Drs are asked to do unpaid duties all the time; and they will add to your contract at their discretion! You can leave if you do not like it. There is no interest to change anything.
    Many successful hospitals are being run into the ground by management who refuse to understand that customer service (after hours availability, care not to raises fee so high, happy staff, maintained facilities, ....) was the reason for the success.

Advice to Management

Get out of California and truly visit your hospitals. Spend some time seeing what works and what does not (our regional people would stay an hour or two every so often, and totally ignored the majority of the staff). Have true feedback from the clients (we were instructed to report only positive feedback !!!). Stay more local, pet owners who want to do a lot for their pets are a different breed; try to understand their mentality better. And please, take better care of your workforce. Read veterinary magazines, specially the ones that are staff oriented!! And have the support office truly support the hospitals. We stopped calling to get help after a while, they were never aware or knowledgable. And sometimes the calls ended up putting some of our staff in trouble... If we mentioned any medical conditions, personal problems, etc, ; we would end up being hounded for months with unreasonable questions.

11. Ok for part time work

Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Franklin Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Franklin Park, IL (US)

I worked at VCA Antech part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I did get a lot of opportunities to do different work and get trained to do different tasks even though I was kennel.

Cons

Even though I was trained to do other tasks, I was never given the opportunity to actually grow.

VCA Antech Photos