VMware

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.4 1,268 reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before (in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge (in 56 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers) (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights
1,268 Employee Reviews

A Company with World class product but awful work culture due to in sensible leadership in India.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsGreat Product. Awesome Consumer Brand.

ConsPoor work culture. Very unreasonable Leadership team

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fare and respectable to customer facing employees. Creating a environment of fear and uncertainty only reduces productivity

Too much politics and lobbying. Managers are incompetent.

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Pune

ProsGood salary and stock options. Flexible timings. Lots of fun activities. Administration is good. Opportunities for taking up different types of training.

ConsOnly management and control plane work is done in Pune. No core or system/platform work for Pune teams. There is a layer of managers who are only interested in employees with their level of experience and who have worked with them in previous companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk managers to stop politicizing and consider team as a team and not just biased towards few people.

Great, but cannot be a final destination

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Bangalore

Pros1. Intelligent folks to work with
    2. Good infrastructure and benefits
    3. Great work life balance
    4. Friendly manager and team

Cons1. You career growth will be stunted beyond a point, if you an appetite to achieve a lot.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company for Engineers

ProsNice company for freshers and tech geeks. VMware is the leader in virtualization industry.

Pay
    Stocks
    Facilities
    Benefits
    Work

ConsCareer growth
    Limited internal movement
    Less frequent promotions
    No retention
    Doesn't listen to employee feedbacks

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on internal movements and promotions

Wonderful Place to Work

Global Technical Alliance (Current Employee)

ProsGood people to work with. Good place to learn about new technologies

ConsPerformance review is not fully transparent. Company wants to earn more with less investment

Advice to Senior ManagementRobust Infrastructure is required to support the growth of the company

Member of Technical Staff

Pros1. Great peers in team. Specially many folks from other top notch product based companies.
    2. Nice opportunities to work on good products.
    3. RSUs.

Cons1. Its important to be a part of right team.
    2. Facilities suck big time. India R&D is managed in an adhoc way.
    3. A great variation in compensation across teams and levels.
    4. Mid level management has many buffoons which are nothing more than liabilities to the company.
    5. Pathetic work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementVMware seems to have loosing its DNA. Needs retrospection.
    Be careful and raise hiring bar specially when recruiting folks at senior level.

Good, not so good.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsEmployee related activities, good compensation.

ConsLot of pressure, overload at any given time. measured by current mistakes not previous achievements. Lot of politics in management level. HR/Management don't have long term plan or goal for a team: means team can be dissolved in 1- 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a proper plan for a team, don;t just hire for sake of recruitment. Company is doing good, be generous n pro active,keep human part also.

Not for interns

Intern (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsGood perks for employees, great compensation package compared to other companies. And a lot to learn technology wise.

ConsInternships are never converted. So don't waste your time and look elsewhere.

Good so far..

ProsGood People .Good Technologies. loads to learn specially if you are not from virtual world. So many forums to support innovation.

Consworkloads can be very high at times. multi tasking is minimum expectation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this moment.

Great work & near home

Technical Trainer (Current Employee) Bangalore

Pros- In City, most employees stay stay within 5 kms.
    - Exciting Technology, keeping up with latest trends.
    - Work life balance in my team is good.

Cons- If managers change, new ones don't keep up previous manager's promises
    - If there is a poor quarter, You maybe sent home within hours notice, irrespective of level.
    - Money is wasted like water.

Advice to Senior Management- Please keep up promises
    - Please don't fire people for poor company results then hire in bulk if results are good.
    - Please try to retain good talent by paying industry standard packages.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!