Vanguard Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

beautiful company

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  New Delhi
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New Delhi

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful building ... other than that not much

Cons

Salary pretty less...
    No growth potential

nothing specific i would want to say

The right atmosphere and values for me...

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We hear all the time about Vanguard's unique ownership structure and how that leads to low cost...Having worked for a couple of the competitors before joining Vanguard, I can't imagine going back to the traditional publicly-traded "profit at all costs" mentality. Not that Vanguard's perfect, but the stakes are too high for me to consider giving my energy and my days to a company pretending to help clients achieve financial success while working them over for every cent they can get. It may not be the right place for everyone, but in this industry, it's the only place that I feel lines up with my own values and perspective. In addition, the benefits are excellent, and I've found it to be a rewarding place to work.

Cons

Occasional "red-tape" -related frustrations that accompany working for such a large company...Some people in management are ineffective leaders, though that's true of every corporation.

It's pretty good

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very nice people. It's a company that values integrity and putting client first.

Cons

As it grows, there's a lot of red tape to cut through which can slow innovation.

Sometimes the attitude and "vanguard-speak" makes me feel like I'm at a high school pep rally.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Back Office Team Lead

Former Employee - Back Office B2B Team Leader  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Back Office B2B Team Leader in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great ethical company and a very low risk environment. Easy to move laterally, which is highly encouraged, giving you great experience in different areas of the business. The benefits are excellent all around. When visiting the doctor's office, I was often told that my insurance was amazing. Time-off is ample and easy to take with little restriction (everything is PTO, no "sick days"). Overall my experience was great but I was seeking something more exciting.

Cons

Making any kind of procedural change is painfully slow. If you aren't willing to keep pushing hard, you won't get anything accomplished. Pay was mediocre which drove away some talented people. Though the upper management open door policy made it easy to interact with all levels, it also contributed to a lot of office politics.

The decision making process is painfully slow, limiting the impact of those who really want to make a difference.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Great environment. Vanguard supports it's employees when personal needs arise. Good benefits. Bonuses.(performance based, so salaries are lower than similar companies). Like everyone I work with - great group of people. They offer a lot of training opportunities.

Cons

Metrics on calls are unreasonable if you want to give excellent customer service. I won't rush anyone, I make they thoroughly understand everything we discuss. This can take awhile, especially with inexperienced investors. I know my customers appreciate it, but it does hurt my opportunities since my call times are a little longer. I also believe in helping other less experienced crew members, which adds to my call handle time as we'll. Difficult to advance...fewer jobs up the pyramid and lots of competition.

Metrics should not be as important as quality customer service.

UI Developer

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Good work life balance. Not a lot of long hours.

Cons

Takes to long to use the latest technology. Technology is somewhat dated.

Very positive

Current Employee - Client Relations Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for less than a year

Pros

I felt they had a very positive experience working with Vanguard. It's a great firm with excellent leadership and and a very mixture of work/life balance and support for continuing your education and networking within the company.

Cons

I felt the salary was far too low and the opportunities to move up in the firm were too slow. You are not given much room for creative thought or feel much ownership in improving the efficacy of the company outside of your specific role.

Consider ways to retain your young workers with better salary packages and ways to increase worker satisfaction by making the work flows more dynamic to incentive them to stay with the firm.

Great culture and a company on a mission for its clients

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great company culture. They really care about your success and want you to develop the skills critical to success over time. Great benefits too.

Cons

The pay is not as great as other industry competitors.

Ethical, Friendly, Takes Care of Employees

Former Employee - College to Corporate  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - College to Corporate in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are incredible, everyone is willing to help you learn here. I came in as an intern and found no shortage of people willing to help me find ways to help the team, contribute, and ultimately be successful. If you put in the effort and enjoy a place where it's easy to network and try out positions you might not have the training for this is a great place to work. My boss consistently went to bat for me when needed and was always interested in finding ways to help me move up, I was even lucky enough to set up meetings with people 2 and 3 levels above my boss and they were no different. CEO Bill McNabb is even in the cafeteria enough days, showing how down-to-earth the C-suite staff are. Their training and education programs are top-notch and easy to access. Work/life balance is a huge priority and I found most weeks I wouldn't even receive any emails between Friday at 5pm and Monday morning!

Cons

Pay is better at other places, but if the friendly, networking-based culture is something you like, there's not many better places to work.

Great company

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, benefits, management, training.

Cons

Pay is low, little room to grow your career.

Listen to employee opinions from all job levels and age ranges.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!