Vanguard

Updated 24 January 2015
3.3

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 120 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 53 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

beautiful company

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New Delhi
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New Delhi

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful building ... other than that not much

Cons

Salary pretty less...
    No growth potential

nothing specific i would want to say

Great place to work, but pay could be better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In my 10 year career across multiple industries and employers, Vanguard was THE best. The management was intelligent and actually cared about you and your career progression. The organization REALLY DOES care about it's customers and doing the right thing. Amazing uncompromising work life balance. I can't tell you how awesome getting THAT MUCH time off is! It led me to be always motivated and productive. Let's put it this way, when I left Vanguard I left all my money there and had all my family members move their money there as well. That's saying something.

Cons

Pay. When I was recruited outside of the industry, I was paid DOUBLE. Not 5%, not 20%, not even 50% more. DOUBLE. I would have loved to stay at Vanguard but the pay is just not competitive for high performers. For a company that doesn't release the compensation packages of the top executives, it's unfortunate that they're not even on the same planet of the rest of the working world in terms of pay.

Another negative, is that in Scottsdale, the vast majority of the work is call center. Sure, they might call it a more fancy title, but in actuality it's a pure call center environment. The "thinker" type jobs are in Valley Forge PA.

Basically every moment of every day that you're at work. You're monitored. They keep track of how quickly you do quite literally anything. How long you take for restroom breaks, the moment you log in until the moment you log out. It's crazy how closely you're monitored. All communications are recorded and can be used against you.

Completely revamp pay, be a little less CIA about monitoring your employees, bring some better positions down from PA.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Developer in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Developer in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

+ benefits package is fantastic
    + not a job, it's a career
    + easy to move jobs within the company and learn a lot more
    + great flexibility with working hours

Cons

- not many chances for innovation
    - bonus may not reflect actual performance
    - VERY hierarchical

= try to flatten the hierarchy to promote more expression of opinion and drive more conversation
    = promote innovation and provide opportunities to do so
    = reevaluate the process for performance bonus and give more transparency on the subject

Didn't Appreciate what I had until I was gone

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

As you get older, you appreciate the 'total compensation' package even more.
    The health benefits are steller as is the PTO and retirement. I have not seen a company even compare.

No mass layoffs

Cons

Some Depts are great, some aren't. It all depends on the dept that you are in. If you are not in a dept that you enjoy, then post out to another one. A bad dept is not a reflection on the company as a whole.

Appreciate your employees and offer more flexible scheduling for work life balance.

Overall a great company, but

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

The people are what makes this company great - Vanguard has a nice company culture. Employees are involved in community service and volunteer work regularly, the work-life balance is apparent, and people are just easy to talk to.

Cons

I started in a phone role (answering incoming client phone calls), and it was a very difficult experience. You are limited to the amount of breaks you can take throughout the day, lunches are often reduced to only 30 minutes, and any time that you want off the phones has to be approved. It was a physically and emotionally draining job. If you can start higher up in the company you will have a better experience.

It needs to be easier for employees who work in retail to take time off. Those are the most demanding roles, both physically and emotionally, but they get very little flexibility and understanding.

Overall a good place to work

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MANY different positions in the company to choose from. Movement to other departments is easy and even encouraged. Good benefits right through the door and a great 401k match. Aetna insurance leaves something to be desired but is adequate coverage.

Cons

The trend seems to be in cost saving. They are moving to a new desk structure with VERY little space. Not just the peons but all the way up to middle management is in the same layout. Every department has the cancerous employee. Sucking up space and resources and doing very little.

Remove the cancerous employees and provide real incentives to do a good job.

Fund financial analyst

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

Good come any and opportunity

Cons

Really low pay and doesn't compensate enough for people with advanced degree such as MBA or CFA

Stable

I have been working at Vanguard as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Stable, predictable, easy-going, very traditional corporate setting.

Cons

No real opportunities for growth

I have had a great experience in my 15 year.

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have met some great people who are more than just co-workers. In addition, I've had great opportunities to volunteer in the community and work flexibility (remote).

Cons

In the NC office, there are limited opportunities for non-licensed employees and late adopters of new technologies.

Vanguard Photos