Vanguard

Updated 27 February 2015
3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 120 reviews)

• Great benefits; was able to earn MBA and CFP with full tuition reimbursement (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • The positions in AZ are largely call center support roles, or supervisory roles (in 53 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

beautiful company

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New Delhi
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New Delhi

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful building ... other than that not much

Cons

Salary pretty less...
    No growth potential

nothing specific i would want to say

Great company, but slow-moving.

Former Employee - College to Corporate
    Former Employee - College to Corporate

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

People are nice and generally happy to be working here. Good work-life balance. Customer-centered. Great benefit packages.

Cons

The pay is on the lower side of the industry standard. A lot of the people who work here lack motivation or personal drive. Because the customer always comes first (saving them money), the employees aren't treated too often.

Great first company.

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great first company to work for

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities for average crew members

Rotational Leadership Development Program Participant

Former Employee - Leadership Rotational Program in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Leadership Rotational Program in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vanguard has great benefits and company values as well as a solid work/life balance. The people are extremely friendly and always willing to meet and talk about their roles in different departments. As a Leadership Development rotational program right out of undergraduate I felt as though I was very privileged and had many more opportunities than regular hires. Granted there are about 20 odd Leadership development hires in a company of 20,000 people.

Cons

As a large organization it is very hard to get recognized if you do not have the right boss promoting you and your skills. Promotions are few and far between. It is very easy to get stuck in one silo of the organization. For example it would be virtually impossible to move from Sales to Corporate Strategy unless you were top management. You are looking at at least 4-5 years in one role before being considered for movement within the organization.

Although the conservative thought leadership has worked very well for Vanguard for many years, to get the type of talent to take the company to the next level of international scale, management is going to have to start thinking outside the box in terms of the people they need leading the organization.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Problem Resolution Analyst in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Problem Resolution Analyst in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

They really are flexible when it comes to work life balance

Cons

I wish they were located in the city which would have made the commute easier

analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

good time off policy. Can get 6 weeks of vacation .

Cons

edcuation benefits are good if you want to get a CFA etc.

Compensation sometimes does not make sense for all the hard work

Client Relationship specialist out of college

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was fall semester of my senior year and I had no idea what job prospects were out there and Vanguard was the only offer I had so far so I decided to go ahead and accept. The training is excellent especially for those without a finance background. Some other perks:
    -Job security, pretty much impossible to get fired
    -Young environment mostly early 20s
    -Good experience if you want to become a advisor/planner
    -tuition/certification(cfa/cfp/mba) reimbursement available but you will have to pay it back if you leave.
    -25% of your time spent actually helping clients who really need investing assistance.
    -Products are best in class and pretty much sell themselves.

Cons

Some downsides are:
    -antiquated systems
    -no accountability management pushes employees to take as many calls as possible which leads to people making mistakes then other employees have to deal with those mistakes.
    -Zero collaboration, co-workers in other departments will often fight to resist taking a transferred call.
    -75% percent of your day will be spent doing menial tasks like resetting passwords or changing addresses.

My advice to those coming out of college is to really take a long hard look to see if you really want this job. If you don't have a finance background this can be a good way to break into the industry. For those with solid finance backgrounds and aspirations especially if you want to go the analyst route you may want to pass. Looking back I realize now that I could've afforded to take a risk and hold out for a job that would be a better fit rather than working for a year and now looking to change roles.

Work on collaboration and increasing accountability among crew. Allow for more frequent self development and training to keep crew from burning out on the phones.

Not For Everyone

Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is honestly tough.

-I met some great supervisors and managers who truly looked out for their subordinates' best interests, even if it was relaying the honest truth that Vanguard isn't a suitable company for everyone.
    -Partnership day.
    -Ability to peruse available jobs and apply from within the company through their internal bulletin.
    -Almost a month of PTO after "buying" an additional 5 days - in your first year!
    -Once you get past the entry-level jobs a crew member will most often have more independence and more intellectually stimulating job responsibilities.

Cons

I'll start by saying that this job wasn't for me.

After 2 and half years in a technical role where we were pretty much tied to our desks, it was difficult to stay "engaged". These things may describe a typical office atmosphere, and maybe I am too sensitive regarding office politics, but nonetheless this should prove useful to prospects...

-The job's pay grade was similar to entry level phones, but involved demanding and higher complexity work.
    -3 months of training in a job that should require a minimum of 6 months with on the job training and labs.
    -You will spend literal years learning the processes only to find that this knowledge is almost exclusively useful in this job and this job only.
    -Being off of main campus - unhealthy people, no respect for the dress code, entitled and generally spiteful colleagues who have no interest in working in a team atmosphere.
    -Rising sophistication of technology lead to more specialized and technical work, without a raise in pay.
    -Despite constant patches and updates, internal systems and technology were well behind the technical prowess of rival firms resulting in daily crashes, sometimes effecting the entire department (which would lead to lunch cuts and mandatory OT).
    -Vanguard will not "lay off" employees in times of hardship, but they will manipulate any situation in order to justify a termination. This happened to many.
    -Many of my close friends were high performers, who in their first year were given strong reviews, raises, and a pay grade bump. In the second year, after 3 department head rotations and multiple manager transitions and replacements, these high performers were met with increased criticism, sandbagging, and general mind games which lead to decreased motivation, higher stress, and decreased productivity, while leaving them basically helpless to build upon themselves professionally.
    -Multiple restrictions to employee schedules over time (from 6 available shifts to a dismal 2). Better hire that babysitter you can't afford.
    -Forced OT (I heard about this after I left) for remaining staff due to attrition and numerous terminations.
    -Constant pressure from management to do more work than you can actually do.
    -Despite some truly amazing supervisors and managers, there are always the people who can ruin your experience with a company. Not much accountability for supervisors. Walk in at 9:30, leave by 11:30 to shop at KOP, return at 2, absent from desk until 4, never returning an email. I honestly have never seen people get paid so much to do so little.

This is basically scratching the surface. I have read the rules and this is not a rant. This is intended to warn those who seek entry level employment within Vanguard's processing departments. If you truly love the markets and financial services in general, you will most likely be able to look past most of these issues and find something that truly drives you beyond this role. If you are a creative person, if you like to have an impact on the company you work for and expect your opinion to be valued, this is NOT the place for you. If you respect your own humanity and believe that people should be treated as people and not as a unit or a number, this is NOT the job for you. This is a big company who is pretty well known for being old fashioned and "at-cost" (cheap). Compensation is low, Partnership is nothing like it used to be, and office politics will drown you. Do yourself a favor and consider other options before accepting $34,000 a year in hourly salary in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Good luck with that right out of college with student loan debt.

Watch more TED Talks on the mismatch between science and business in regards to incentives. Create a more accepting and less prejudice office culture. Be better to your employees, they are starting to desert you.

I'm constantly learning and growing.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent retirement plan and benefits, life resources, and an ethical company in which to invest.

Cons

The commute, the culture is not conducive for creativity, who you report to can make or break you.

Opportunities for growth are increasingly limited within some areas, and not every one is treated equally.

Vanguard Photos