Vanguard

Vanguard Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb

William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time(in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path(in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions(in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones(in 13 reviews)

beautiful company

Sales Executive (Current Employee) New Delhi

ProsBeautiful building ... other than that not much

ConsSalary pretty less...
    No growth potential

Advice to Senior Managementnothing specific i would want to say

Great company for the right fit

Investment Analyst (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsBig company that doesn't lay people off. Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time. They provide a lot of resources if you know how to take advantage of them.

ConsJob postings are very competitive and it can be tough to move up. You must learn to navigate the corporate culture very well. Benefits are great but salaries for loyal employees are downright insultingly low. It's also a very conservative work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your loyal and tenured employees with more competitive pay. Stop putting so much weight into interviews and do more research on job candidates. Make yourself more available to the employees that follow you

Solid benefits, secure job, low pay

Problem Resolution Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsBenefits are solid. PTO policy is pretty generous. They have a good deal with their Retirement and Savings Program, too. They do a dollar for dollar 401k matching contribution, up to the first 4% of your pay, which is 100% vested. They also do quarterly contributions of 10% of your eligible earnings, which are fully vested after 6 years working there. It's pretty difficult to get fired--you have to screw up pretty badly. And they've never had layoffs in their history, so there's definitely good job security. My experience with management has all been pretty positive. Some of the higher ups (like 3 levels above me) don't listen well to the average peons, but that's pretty typical. My direct supervisors have all been pretty good though.

ConsOpportunities are limited, at least at the Charlotte office. They're turning it into a call center. If you work at the Charlotte office, you will either be on the phones, or managing or supporting people on the phones. Across Vanguard, pay isn't competitive at all compared with other companies in the industry. And I've heard that external hires into the same role that I'm in started off with higher pay than me, despite my being more valuable to them by knowing Vanguard's internal systems and procedures.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vanguard

Problem Resolution Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsPto..benefits..fitness center. Academic reimbursement. First shift hours only

ConsLimited flexibility and call center related jobs. Some team leader s micro manage.

Fund Financial Associate

Fund Financial Associate (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsCorporate Culture, Work-Life Balance and a Positivie Learning Environment

ConsPay - You could be getting paid a lot more for your skills

Best to place to work in IT

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsGreat work-life balance, leadership and lot of opportunities to learn new technologies

ConsLow pay and not many promotions

Stable & strong

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to start a career in the finance industry

ConsNot one to air dirty laundry.

Great place to start a career

Communication Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsGreat people, benefits, starting pay (while lower than other companies) is still better than other industries. You take inbound calls without having to worry about sales goals or product pushing.

ConsExternal hiring brings in candidates that are paid more but don't do a great job once they are here. If you are not in PA you are limited on job growth opportunities.

Ethical company, slow growth, but easily could settle down as a career

Flagship Representative (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros- Great people
    - Ethical company - you know you're doing the right thing for clients
    - Uplifting culture
    - Amazing benefits
    - Job security
    - Great training program

Cons- Not an "innovative" culture. Things happen slow around here
    - Slow professional growth
    - Job can be tedious at times

Advice to Senior ManagementLet performance dictate promotions, not age/tenure. And, work on better metrics to determine overall performance.

Solid company with an emphasis on quality and personal growth.

Client Service Representative (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsThe team leaders are all great and the amount of training they are willing to give is outstanding. They do take time to get to know you and help with your career.

ConsThe only thing I would complain about is the ridiculous amount of political correctness like the diversity training. I assume all corporations are like that however. The pay could be a little higher but the job security is excellent.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!