Verengo Solar

Updated 21 January 2015
3.8

Verengo Solar CEO Randy Bishop
Randy Bishop

Pros
  • Great Work Environment - Fast paced work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut (in 8 reviews)

• Competitive pay, great structure, awesome company culture that really emphasizes the team (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a very competitive and fast-paced environment, may not be suitable for everyone (in 7 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Simply the best...

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar

Pros

1) Total integrity - what they say is what they do.
    2) Dynamic environment - be ready to adapt quickly.
    3) Best training in the industry - bar none!
    4) Most respected and trusted brand in the industry - A+ with the Better Business Bureau

Cons

Managers appear to be stretched to their limits. Be prepared to take initiative and be proactive about handling your business.

They're great!

Current Employee - Canvasser in Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar

Pros

Amazing people to work with and for! Good money if you play your cards right!

Cons

No cons so far, hopefully that doesn't change!

Be a bit more easy to contact.

I'm glad it's over

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar

Pros

In my 3+ years there I met alot of good people... most of whom were laid-off.

Cons

Don't expect hard work to get you anything because it's all about who you know.

Many people are expected to do multiple jobs with no increased compensation.

The managers are all about themselves and often hold people back for selfish reasons. Anytime you ask how you can advance or get a raise you are fed a series of lies, patted on the head, and sent back to your desk.

If you want to work here be prepared to be taken advantage of.

I can't believe I convinced myself to stay for so long.

Stop treating people like interchangeable machine parts and start learning from your mistakes.

Little pay but some good people

Former Employee - Solar Advocate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Solar Advocate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar

Pros

Some nice people, awesome hr lady, fun pep rally meetings but management was never sure what they wanted

Cons

Little pay, no job security

Be honest to your employees

Great learning experience!

Current Employee - Canvasser in Stamford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very open and engaging staff, great schedule if you have your own vehicle and you save folks money with solar energy!

Cons

Schedule can be unconventional and requires you to work on the weekend. You need a personal vehicle!

Establish offices where canvass teams meet and drive in a company van or bus to different canvassing locations so as to save gas and limit CO2 footprint.

Had a good 4 year run

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't say as much right before I left but the people I worked for and around were the main reason I stayed so long. The way we took that company from a small player in the industry to the leading installer was just tremendous and I had the opportunity to grow through that with the company.

Cons

Unless you know the right people there you have little to no chance for advancement. The money used to be good but because they are loosing so much now they kept a few low paying execs and all the entry level people on board to help cut cost. I made good money right at the end of it all and I think that was one of the reasons I was let go. I cost to much to retain. They will change the pay structures over and over again if you start making too much.

I have none. I had some great managers and some not so great managers. There are still a few that work there but most of the people that made this place Tick in unison the way that it used to are gone. I think it was a point that I needed to part ways and head into a different direction. Seen some good hard working people lose their jobs when I think they should have been retained and shifted to another position.

Update to my original review dated July 5, 2014

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met some truly great people while I worked there. Gained some valuable skills and experience that fattened up my resume.

Cons

Completely phony "employee friendly" atmosphere, saw many good people let go. My boss made numerous errors of commission and omission, then blamed his vendors and subordinates for the disasters that followed.

Follow up note: Due to the high cost of solar panel installations, Verengo talks the majority of their customers (mostly residential) into 20 year leases instead of outright purchases. From talking to many experienced Realtors, when a homeowner tries to sell their home with the leased panels, transferring the lease is a nightmare, and usually a deal breaker. My advice is to stay away from solar entirely until the next generation of more efficient and less expensive panels hit the market, probably sometime in the next 5 - 10 years.

Last spring the company announced that it was up for sale. Even the two co-founders must think it's over. It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, buys the sinking ship. Sorry to see so many of my former colleagues laid off.

For once play it straight with your hard working employees.

Canvassing ,Brand Ambassador,

Current Employee - Canvassing, Brand Ambassador, in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Canvassing, Brand Ambassador, in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good potential pay, with hourly plus commissions.People making $850 a week for 30 hours

Cons

Walking 5 to 8 miles a shift outdoors in all conditions. Required to work in pouring rain ,walking door to door. Working until 8 pm at night during the winter, very dangerous and scared home owners opening doors with guns on you.

In Southern California it does not rain much so requiring your people go out in pouring rain at night to be sick during the weekend when you make the most contacts is poor treatment of your employees.

Chaotic not fast paced

Current Employee - Installer in West Nyack, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Installer in West Nyack, NY (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

coworkers, that's truly it. Is that at least 5 words?

Cons

No leadership or focus. One day everyone is running to the right. The next day everyone is running to the left. The next day, people are standing still because they're too tired from running. No one knows whats going on and gives up so theres a revolving door. Benefits and pay stink. Only for the displaced or unemployed.

Develop a plan, hire quality people then share the plan with everyone so we know what's going on.