Verengo Solar

Verengo Solar Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Verengo Solar CEO Randy Bishop

Randy Bishop

Pros
  • Great Work Environment - Fast paced work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut (in 8 reviews)

• work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • What they disguise as growing and fast paced is mass confusion and chaos (in 5 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

great work place flexible management

TSR (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThe fact that there is the upward mobility within the infra- structure and the fact that they are flexible with making up work hours are two very positive attributes of the company

ConsConstant change and guidelines are always in a state of flux

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make sure all levels of management are on same page. When there is policy change there is a lack of communication to all involved parties.

Fun place to work

Anonymous (Current Employee) Torrance, CA (US)

Pros- Fast-paced
    - High energy
    - Challenging
    - Great Support and Training
    - Good Management
    - Awesome atmosphere

ConsThere is never a dull moment at Verengo.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to deal with problems quickly, fairly and consistently.

A lot of good people, but the company is struggling to meet its growth goals.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsCompany put on quarterly events for employees, and gave awards for outstanding performance. Human Resources was generally responsive.

ConsFirst you need to understand why companies like Verengo, and it's many competitors like Solar City have sprung up overnight since 2009. Current solar technology cannot generate a kilowatt hour of electricity as cheaply as you can buy it off of the grid. Residential installations typically cost upwards of $50,000 and the panels lose 1% of their efficiency per year. But in 2009 a 30% federal tax credit was passed and in some states the utility companies were forced into guaranteed electricity buy-back programs which spawned the current solar panel sales boom in those states ie California. Barring a great leap in panel technology, once the current tax credits expire in 2017, the industry may shut down as quickly as it started unless the tax credits are extended, a very iffy proposition. Because of the high up-front cost, Verengo structures most of the deals as 20 year leases. As long as you see the big picture going in, Verengo can be a decent place to earn a living and pick up some valuable work experience for as long as it lasts.

I worked in the Phoenix office for one year. The office contains the telemarketing call center and IT management. The main office is in Torrance, California. It's worthy to note that Verengo has worked very hard at a public relations campaign to promote itself as a "best place to work". Recently the company made CareerBuilder.com's list of "Top Companies to Work for in Arizona". This was after a carefully organized internal campaign to get employees to respond favorably to the CareerBuilder.com annual survey. The local media, most notably reporters and photographers from the Arizona Republic, were present at a recent Wednesday afternoon sales rally, known as a "rah-rah" for the award presentation.

While Verengo certainly wasn't the worst employer I've ever worked for, the well crafted public image often doesn't match up with reality. Salaried personnel are often expected to work long hours of uncompensated overtime and to check and respond to emails and texts when away from the office. Many middle level managers work 7 days a week. Employee turnover was common. You might see a sales manager leading a Wednesday "rah-rah" pep rally, extolling the virtues of the company, and then be gone the next day. Some people were swept out abruptly, leaving in tears. At a Wednesday "rah-rah" in early January of 2013, management announced that all employees would be forced to take one unpaid furlough day per month, and use one day of vacation. We were told to never reveal this to the outside world. It might tarnish the carefully crafted public image.

To be fair, there are a lot of fine, hard working people at Verengo. Your experience will depend on your attitude and work ethic of course, but also on who you have as a manager. My hope for all the good people still working there is that the company will survive until solar panel technology improves and the industry can thrive on its own without taxpayer subsidies.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. Set up anonymous grading for rank and file employees to rate their managers, then seriously consider their feedback.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Expectations, promises and values do not match the practices.

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsTheir stated concept and story was compelling. Their stated core values are solid and well stated. I meet several employees who seemed very happy, responsive and helpful.

ConsThe lack of structure and follow through in the sales training become evident as time exposed. The operations side was in constant disarray, which they referred to as being dynamic. The sales methods are hard boiled. On many occasions leads are not qualified for the product being offered. Some of the mid level leaders were passive aggressive, overtly aggressive and sometimes child like. Opportunities were not delivered as promised, which they turned into personal shortcomings. I was very disenchanted with my experience and felt it was extremely unfair. I received similar feedback from many others in similar positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that reflect the stated Verengo values and design your programs accordingly. Educate representatives about competition. Don't speak ill of your former business partners, competitors or past employees; its very unprofessional. Develop and invest in your talent. Support their growth without ridicule or subversive actions. Trust your representatives with the information necessary to prosper and know with proper support, ongoing training and good leadership they can deliver a wonderful product to the public.

Good

Canvasser (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat Schedule (Five Words Now?)

ConsGet results or you are out.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Frequent and disorganized change at local level

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Bakersfield, CA (US)

ProsThe company has a very solid product and a good reputation with its existing customers. Great job for a single person with no kids.

Consconstant state of change with policy and practice with poor communication at local level. Not a job for a family person. Late nights running poor company leads

Advice to Senior Managementcreate stability to reduce churn

Verengo Solar has given me a great experience! I met some really cool people!

Canvasser/Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) Fresno, CA (US)

Pros-flexible hours
    -bonuses, base pay
    -company values
    -improve communication skills
    -great coworkers

Cons-it isn't a job for everyone and you would have to treat it like your own business
    -sometimes flexibility ends up turning into a on-call job

Great Company vibe and structure, poor management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay, great structure, awesome company culture that really emphasizes the team. It seems like people here genuinely want each other to succeed.

Conssometimes feels like management shoots from the hip with a lot of decisions. Some decisions are made rashly at all levels of leadership and really leave you scratching your head.

The work environment at Verengo Solar is professional and fun at the same time.

Sales Support Manager (Current Employee) Torrance, CA (US)

ProsI am new to Torrance and its a great place to live and work. Verengo provides top of the line tools to work with. It's a fast pace, comfortable working facility. Intelligent, friendly co-workers. Plenty of room for advancement. I can't say enough about how happy I am to work here. I look forward to coming to work every day. How many people can say that?

ConsI have not found any "cons" as of yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great team work!

Field Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA (US)

ProsCompetitive pay and a friendly, fast-paced company culture.

ConsThe drive to work is a little farther than I would like.

Worked for Verengo Solar? Contribute to the Community!