W.W. Grainger

W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Pros
  • Cohesive Strategy integrated throughout the company, Great Benefits (Profit Sharing(in 115 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case(in 13 reviews)

• Middle and upper management was very disappointing(in 16 reviews)

Territory Sales Associate

Territory Sales Associate (Former Employee) Lincolnshire, IL (US)

ProsLaid back
    Great coworkers
    Some power over your companies

ConsMicro-managed
    Unreliable Management
    Low pay
    Very hard to advance
    Treat employees like children

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employees like children. Take feedback and do something with it rather then shutting employees down when they suggest something.

Excellent benefits, changing culture...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lake Forest, IL (US)

ProsHyper competitive pay and benefits, endless opportunities for career development. Cross-department/cross-organization transfers occur regularly.

ConsPolitical. You're in or you are out. People are promoted frequently, which should be a good thing, but some are promoted to the point of incompetence.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the turnover numbers. What culture do you really want?

Extreme Politics

Process Manager (Current Employee) Patterson, CA (US)

ProsDecent pay, good work life balance and excellent retirement

ConsUgly politics which makes for an environment that feels like your interviewing everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore standardization across facilities and team. In my opinion this would reduce silo's and could also help reduce politics that is hurting creativity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Truth about working at Grainger

Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee)

Pros-Great Benefits,
    -If you are in sales you get a free car, and paid gas
    -Fun Team environment
    -Uncapped commission
    -Independence to visit customers
    -Profit Sharing

Cons-A lot of Driving
    -You are at the mercy of current economic state
    -Managers show favoritism
    -Cool-aid type training

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not get on employees for not using accumulated PTO and say its affecting the companies Profit Sharing at the end of the year.

Good place to work if you don't mind being undermined, no room for promotion unless your "special one"

Inbound Associate (Current Employee) Roanoke, TX (US)

Prosgood profit sharing program, insurance is good

Conspay is nowhere near what it should be for what they want, everything is driven by numbers on productivity evaluation process is a crap shoot, people are given 'MVP" awards for not meeting production, doing as little as possible, while those of us that bust our butts night in and night out get an atta boy. Process Managers don't have a clue how to do or even evaluate our jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in people that care about the employee, that can relate to the employee, or better yet promote from within the working ranks instead of the "future leaders program"

Gave my all and experienced nepotism at its best.

Project Manager/Analyst (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL (US)

ProsGrainger is a good company and they compensate you very well.

ConsYou have to understand the politics and culture. You can give your all but it seems people try so hard to fit in that they will sell their souls to the devil! Karma is a -/:;(

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all need prayer!

Your our most valued resource until we are looking to reduce staff.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsPST, Short-term Disability Insurance, Vacation Time, Grainger Barcode on your neck.

ConsThe company wants to use "Green and LEAN" pricinples. If you are not doing your job and actively submitting improvement ideas and setting goals constantly, they do not like it. It is not good enough to enjoy your job and want to remain in that position. Railroading.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry more about keeping your customers and making them WANT to come back. Quit shoving policy after policy down your employees throats. Quit preaching the "Value Package". Customers don't buy into it. Also, you need to quit adding task after task and reducing staff. It won't be more efficient if you drive employees away. Believe me, Grainger would not survive if your branch staffs were all tenured one year or less.

An eh experience

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a solid company. The benefits are great. The profit-sharing plan is phenomenal. The company pays tuition reimbursement. There were a lot of incentives: company events/meals and merchandise. There was a gym on the premises.

ConsThe office wasn't as diverse as it could be. Not really enough flexibility for a middle-level manager. Middle and upper management was very disappointing. My salary was disgusting. I took an extremely severe pay cut. I had an incompetent manager, which made my job unbearable. She had a "my way or the highway" attitude. Do what she says. Don't think. Don't ask any questions. That's not a good fit for my personality and creativeness. And you can't move to another position or location without the blessing and support of your current manager. So, I was screwed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps you should invest in management training and hiring a more diverse management team.

It all depends on the manager

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

Prosgood benefits, retirement plan is very good,

Consthere is no work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire managers in their 20's. Make sure managers have some experience and know how to lead. There is a HUGE difference between being a manager and being a leader.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good ol' boys club.

CSA (Current Employee) Lincolnshire, IL (US)

ProsPay check and the benefits.

ConsAdvancement for African-Americans with a degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat off middle management.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!