W.W. Grainger

Updated 24 November 2014
3.5

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • The profit sharing is very generous and it is a good reason to stay with the company (in 134 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 21 reviews)

• The flat out lies people tell you especially upper management is so bad people do not believe anything (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company! Can be hard to move up.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Elgin, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Elgin, IL (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Good Retirement, Good Company, Good People. They training you will recieve is second to none and will help launch your career.

Cons

Very Micro-managed. They have GPS in the Vehicles and can trace basically every move you make. It is difficult to move up, much hard then they portray.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training and Profit Sharing! You can really see why they are a Top 100 Company to work for.

Cons

The way they set up your sales quota, very difficult to hit goal.

Great Company to Work For!!!!!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and the sky is the limit for advancement as long as you are willing to relocate.

Cons

No room for advancement if you do not have your Bachelors's degree... Always changing the way they do things in order to appease the stock price.

Pay on revenue instead of paying on your ridiculous plans.

Good Company

Former Employee - Distribution Center Associate in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Distribution Center Associate in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people nice people nice people

Cons

Some mean people mean people

Hire nice people

"The Best Company I Have Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My 8 years at this Fortune 500 Company included a journey of personal & professional growth in a culture of team-work I have not experienced since then. It was a real work family and I had a very positive work experience overall working alongside some of the hardest working people I have ever met. Benefits were excellent and I had the privilege to work under managers who supported work-life balance. Teamwork and professional development were constantly promoted by the leadership at Grainger as it was clearly demonstrated in the morale of all departments working together. It was a memorable experience and I would highly recommend this company if you have a strong work ethic and you are a team player.

Cons

Advancement opportunities may be limited unless you are willing to relocate to another region.

No advice just encouragement to continue the teamwork culture between the office and warehouse that exist to get it done. Continual communication between operations and sales is also key. End Result will always be Excellent Customer Service.

Awesome place to work. Loved every second.

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

The work-life balance was great. They really care about you as an individual.

Cons

There was not really any.

Significant marketing Growth across a broad platform of marketing and media channels

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

A strong, differentiated Value Proposition to take to market, along with great brand recognition. Able to target multiple market segments with a host of services and products.

Cons

Still somewhat silo'd and conservative even though they want to be more aggressive.

My experience at Grainger is very satisfying.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger part-time

Pros

Good pay
    Fair Treatment
    Leader in MRO industry

Cons

Location is in the middle of the city. Downtown Houston has bad traffic and bad neighborhoods. Nothing bad about the company itself.

Keep up the good work

Great learning at a top notch distribution/retail company

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Community feel, brand name in the supply chain world, consistent growth
    Great profit sharing history

Cons

Somewhat functional in terms of employee succession planning (hard to cross over)

Focus on talent development

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Profit sharing was great until it started being funded at the expense of sales commissions. Lots of smoke and mirrors to report a 20% PST... The real question becomes.,., 20% of what? It's mediocre if you're sales comp is off. Shameful.

Cons

Complete evaporation of the empowered culture that used to breed success and fulfillment. Grainger has become the worst version of 'Office Space'... Great sellers are not valued nor utilized. You spend half of your time proving what you are doing the other half of the time. If you are mindless and can follow a cookie cutter one size fits all mentality then you will fit right in with the new mediocre culture. Front line managers are terribly inept, middle management is hit or miss, and senior leadership is very disconnected. Customers can go to zorotools.com(a Grainger company) and buy the same items for half price? Enjoy that conversation as a seller. It's just in a downward spiral. Once you leave, the weight is lifted and you will feel free. I waited months to post this so it was not knee jerk.... If you value fulfillment, run from this company for now. It will take new or enlightened leadership to right this ship.

I will address Jim and PK directly. You have allowed the over automation of the sales process. Productivity for productivity's sake does not fulfillment make. Instead of trying to make each seller 'well rounded', encourage diversity and specialization. Well rounded= Mediocre. Let process sellers grind and be the middle. Let relationship/creative sellers work the relationships and own the top. And finally, let big game hunters big game hunt and weed themselves out..... If you embrace the diversity, the culture will flourish, the teams will be fulfilled and employees will run through brick walls for you with smiles on their faces. And pay your sellers better, if you have steep goals....make steep pay! I had 3 years of increasing over performance and each year I made les and less. How completely unAmerican! This has been a great American company with a great American spirit.... the spirit is waning. Unfortunately, it's too late for many of us. You broke your culture and comp contract and we left. The mediocre culture has made the competition so much more attractive to work with. As we used to say, it's time to change the game!

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo