W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

3.5

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • Cohesive Strategy integrated throughout the company, Great Benefits (Profit Sharing (in 115 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 13 reviews)

• Middle and upper management was very disappointing (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Forest, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Executive Leadership/Board - very well managed
    Teamwork
    Focus on Customers & Employees
    Beautiful offices
    Leader in the industry

Cons

Silos
    Politics of Senior leaders (VPs/Directors)
    Career path

The executive leadership team is very well respected. You are doing a great job looking at what we need to do to maintain (and grow) our competitive positioning. In so doing, you appear to be addressing the cons noted above. But keep pushing and insert yourself more in holding senior management (VPs/Directors) accountable to cultural values. Please continue to help break down silos, eliminate redundant roles and processes, build trust and open communication. The bad politics need to stop so we can drive a culture of trust, high levels of engagement & productivity. You've established great values for the organization but leaders have different definitions of what those values are or they are not held accountable.

Otherwise, this is a great place to work. I'm glad to be a part of it.

Territory sales representative

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Great training. Benefits . Company that cares about the customer and employees. Company car. Compensation structure. Local branch support. Resources.

Cons

Manager needed more training or how to manage people. Training was great but didn't have any help out in the field.

Please help your employees out in the field. Class training can be great if guidance is given locally in the field to be successful.

Awesome, fun place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very competitive wages, flexible in scheduling, and a lot of chances to grow as well as the support from management to help you achieve your career goals.

Cons

Nothing really bad to say, i look forward to coming into work.

Keep doing what you are doing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company to work for with opportunities for growth.

Former Employee - Senior Field Assistant Territory Sales  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Field Assistant Territory Sales in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Profit Sharing Trust (PST) has been great over the years because of the company's stead growth PST continues to increase. Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth.

Cons

Don't see a lot of diversity in Senior Management.

More opportunities for field employees to develop and grow into more advance roles.

Sourcing Specialist Intern

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist  in  Lincolnshire, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Lincolnshire, IL (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was an intern. Provided great business experience for me while in college, met great people, networked with management. Paid internship.

Cons

Not too many cons as an intern.

Political at the local level. i would start taking a 2nd look at the people you let go over the years and get them back.

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Good training, good pay and PST.

Cons

Won't get promoted based on merit but on political reasons. Not everyone gets the opportunity or a fair handshake when mistakes happen.

Start hiring back the great people you had and take care of them. Fire the self absorbed ones especially in local branches. Training is good, and some people believed the Grainger system and we ousted because of political BS. Again, I stress to find those who were let go and find out why and do anything you can to win them back.

Which Fiefdom Do You Belong To?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Janesville, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Janesville, WI (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Grainger is a stable, yet progressive employer and a great company to have on your resume. While it is a huge company in terms of number of employees and areas covered, there are surprisingly few overlaps. Unlike other large companies I have worked for, I didn't find other people duplicating my job efforts in other divisions.

Cons

Unfortuntely, your personal experience of Grainger is going to be shaped by your immediate supervisor and group. While there are wonderfully professional managers and areas, there are also several managers at this level in Grainger treat their area as more of a personal fiefdom. If you are a a favored serf, life is good, but if you aren't the favorite, you will dwell in the pigsty. These managers spend more time sniping at each other and protecting what is theirs politically then they do getting their jobs done.

Take a hard look at your middle management level. Do not ask employees to complete anonymous surveys about their managers, then expect them to sit in closed door meetings with those same managers to explain and justify their feedback!!

Hard work and Dedication mean nothing to a big company

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Benefits: pay and profit sharing. Progressive company that utilizes video and teleconferencing to avoid unnecessary business travel.

Cons

Cut throat environment, especially in a Lake Forest. Continually cutting staff of top performers while lower performers remain due to political reasons. Company is large and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Business direction is always in flux.

Build a solid business plan that lasts longer than one year. I question Sr. Leadership and their need to uproot org charts every other year. Instead of cutting high end performers, perhaps cut the excessive stock options, vehicle and housing benefits for executives.

Grainger

Current Employee - Territory Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Associate

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Only open weekdays from 730-5, profit sharing and health insurance, PTO, sell parts to get water or a/c running again, solve problems and help people

Cons

Small branches are more difficult to advance in without relocating, can be difficult to use PTO at a small branch, customers consistently say how high the prices are and ask why nothing is ever in stock

Good experience. Easy place to work.

Former Employee - TSR
    Former Employee - TSR

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

PTO was very flexible
    good work life balance
    Company car and gas card.
    Good company to start a career with.
    Good Culture

Cons

Most Cons are based off compensation.
    Salary is not very competitive.
    Goals are based off what your territory does not necessarily what you do. You are expected to impact about 10% of your goal and your territory is supposed to do the rest. Unfortunately you can be great at your job but if you have a bad territory you will not hit your goal.
    Goals can be affected drastically either good or bad by only a couple of your customers.
    Constant change of focus.

There is a lot talk on how the company wants to retain more employees but the truth is employees should be paid more. It is unfair that an employee living in New york or California is getting paid the same as someone who lives in the midwest where the cost of living is way cheaper.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!